Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk if this is the thread to start posting about old poo poo, but I started reading Yugioh and I can definitely see why this because a thing. It’s very bingeable in the sense that all the duels so far are the equivalent of two kids just making up bullshit like “my dragon gets a terrain bonus from this rock on the field that’s somewhat dragon shaped” “aha! you’ve fallen into my trap card of Anti-Dragon Rocks!” and it’s just interesting to see how this capricious lowkey malevolent god of games cheats his way to victory harder than his enemies do (just finished the Haga/Weevil duel).

I think everyone knows how batshit insane/amazing the older parts were by now, but I’m guessing they’re taking a backseat to Duel Monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah, you could tell that the author hadn't really planned out how Duel Monsters was actually supposed to play in real life and was just winging it for the first couple of arcs. To say nothing about Pre-DM Yu-Gi-Oh which may as well be a different series entirely.

Honestly when they got to Duelist Kingdom I was pretty surprised that the “new rules” weren’t just, you know, the actual rear end Duel Monster rules. I guess that’s a liberty the anime took cause it made sense? Or at least I remember things like summon sacrifices being a thing there?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought it got canceled, so it probably isn’t the best way to get the full Rave Masters experience.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It really is hilarious in retrospect how that fight was already decided when Hisoka told Chrollo to choose the time and place he would be fighting to the death, and everything afterwards is just what we should have expected to happen. Well, except Hisoka surviving, but at least it looks like he got hosed all the way up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc they meant for him to learn nen when he was like six and made him go to heavens arena (presumably the fast way) he just hosed off right before the nen users showed up and they got mad and said gently caress it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Um. Oh wow. Pretty sure that didn’t play out quite like that in the anime, at least the end part.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In his defense, the chuunin exam was actually an imposition from the editors. He wanted to take it slower with a series of arcs in other villages, but his editors wanted him to do a tournament.

I do think he takes the blame for basing all of his character development of Sakura on her popularity polls. He pretty much admitted in interviews that he kinda dropped her because she was unpopular, and that really sucks for one of the main characters!

Lol that Kishimoto wanted to follow up what’s generally considered his best arc with more of that but his editors got him to do a tournament arc that introduced like one goodass character that got to keep being good. I guess how he implemented them was on him though but still.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I read the Death Note one-shot. man, that ending is a bummer. I was almost hoping that the MC spreading the money out would have been a loophole for the new rule. At least his family can get that money, that’s some small consolation. :( But also lol that this one kid singlehandedly was the basis for the Shinigami King to write a new rule for “don’t sell the loving death note jesus” cause you’d really think in the entirety of human history some one would have tried to pawn it off

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My hot take is that One Piece is a real good comic book about dumb magic pirates going on adventures being led by a moron who wants to be the best pirate ever and should be enjoyed in that capacity. Also that it’s a way better read when binged but at the same time idk why people try selling the stuff like world building like the world matters if you’re not on board with magic pirate adventures to some extent from the first couple episodes/volume.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I'm genuinely kind of shook in way I didn't think I could be that One Piece is doing the "Luffy gets knocked off the battle stage with the big bad and now has to presumably climb back up" like Skypiea again. I'm close to thinking that OP is just kind of bad now rather than something I've grown kind of bored with, I've held out for about as long as I've been able to take.

I love One Piece to death but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t take me binging the whole thing up to around the start of the palace invasion to fall back in love with it because some stuff in there is just way more palatable while binging, and I’d also be lying if I said that ive been rolling my eyes super hard for the past three weeks ever since the cliffhanger of “go rest up guys I got this poo poo oh drat I guess I don’t have this poo poo time to get thrown off the island so we can begin the long, laborious process of getting me out of the ocean and back up to Kaido to pull off a win against an immovable force of nature that’s said to be impossible to subdue in one-on-one combat”.

Like Julias said, if you’re not enjoying OP there’s really no shame in putting it down for a while.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elfface posted:

Sakamoto is pretty chatty when he's solo, huh?

I think he’s just gotten more used to talking since all these weirdos have started barging into his life. Still kinda terse though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It can get kinda dull when we spend significant amounts of time away from Mash, but Mash just brute forcing himself through Hogwarts while epic wizard shonen stuff happens around him that his dumb jock brain can’t wrap itself around is a good time mostly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I read the first 10 or so chapters of Yu-Gi-Oh (the "Season 0" material before the card game took over), and I found it pretty disappointing. Somehow I had the impression that it was something like Kaiji or the Darby arcs in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but in early Yu-Gi-Oh the actual games feel like an afterthought, a pretext for Yugi's Egyptian alternate personality to inflict sadistic supernatural punishments on people. This might even have been interesting if the people being punished were interesting, but instead they're just assholes in a contrived way.

Imho the whole premise of “dark trickster god ruins lives of cartoonishly evil villains of the week” owns and it’s a shame the series moved on to high stakes Calvinball (relatively) but I can aesthetic how it’d be disappointing from the perspective of expecting actual strategic fights and not just, you know, an eldritch capricious trickster god to dunk on assholes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if togashi had ended it at a reasonable spot, then we never would have gotten hisoka vs. chrollo.

I don’t think I ever gave half a poo poo about Chrollo vs Hisoka because it was so obviously a foregone conclusion but in practice the entire fight being a comedy of errors from the moment Hisoka said “I’ll let you pick the time and place” culminating in Hisoka getting hosed all the way up and taking his L like a big salty baby after Frankensteining himself back together with Nen was a very worthwhile part of Hunter x Hunter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finished Chainsaw Man. That sure was a hell of a ride.

its pretty depressing that the smartest thing Denji does is figure out how to beat Makima the way he does. I mean, the whole thing is a downer past a certain point but that especially is the coup de grace.

Part 2 when?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was half joking, I kinda figured the story ended at a decent point, shut yeah!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I was surprised by how enjoyable the series is, having the protagonist being super strong in a comedy/slice of life setting isn’t exactly new (One Punch Man/Dragonball/Mashle) but it’s done really well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Super hype for these insane super mass murderers in Sakamoto Days to be beaten by Taro Sakamoto and become new shop employees after seeing the light.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hunter x Hunter is pretty clever in that it just tells the reader that Nen is magic bullshit that no one really properly understands, so many authors across all genres could avoid so much grief if they did that. Plus the Hisoka thing was kinda bullshit but really, would you really have been okay with him just dying, cause the aftermath of him being hosed all the way up wouldn’t have been as funny if he just died.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

I enjoy reading Witch Watch.

Same, it’s probably the highlight of my Sunday along with Sakamoto Days. That’s partly cause I read the illegal scans for OP earlier but still!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Even with the cultural barrier the new chapter of Witch Watch was good as always. The author’s real good at unexpected swerves for comedic and more serious touching moments.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was pretty much thinking of the art style tbh, it seems like it’d be even funnier if I grew up with those crappy drawings, but saying there was a cultural barrier was probably an exaggeration regardless.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk how you can consider Goku’s fight addiction completely divorced from his adventures given Vegeta, the androids, and Buu. I mean, all those terrible choices he made letting them leave/activate end up making the world a better place in the long run but even ignoring Piccolo Jr (where he kind of has a valid reason besides his fight addiction) Goku wanting to push himself shaped the events of Z in a pretty big way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sindai posted:

Witch Watch took an unexpected turn into horror this week.

Yeah I can’t say I was expecting the wacky premise of “I’m gonna make myself super fast for three days to do menial chores” to end up being handed like that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Isn’t that manga the comic book version of the book the Legend of Galactic Heroes guy wrote? If so massive unnamed casualties is really just expected.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno Jack poo poo about the Ayashimon author’s last work but I’m super onboard to watch this weird hosed up shonen protagonist find a world where he can live his best life (by brutally massacring demons) and also maybe learn how to do all the cool moves his favorite heroes do for real like the Kamehameha and whatever the move is when Kenshiro implodes a guy real good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Jigokuraku/Hell's Paradise is really loving good and you should give it a read!

I just peeped the app and I guess it was never published in Jump or I guess Jump US never published it, so that sucks for my wallet.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

dogsicle posted:

it's one of the annoying series where they don't have it in the app due to content, but you can still read it all on the viz site

Do I have to buy it? I’m on the site and it’s only offering a free preview for the first chapter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

dogsicle posted:

you only need the $2 sub to read it, but the viz site is as much a piece of crap as their app. searching for a series gets you to the page where you can only see a preview + buy, but if you go to viz.com/shonenjump you can just scroll down the tiles until you see jigokuraku and that takes you where you can read it all.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/hells-paradise-jigokuraku

Thanks, much appreciated!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zerilan posted:

How lovely so many interactions between Sasuke and Sakura were started to get real uncomfortable quickly once it became apparent they were intended to end up together

Honestly Sakura deserved more in general, she’s pretty good as a gutsy rude girl but the Sasuke romance drags her down in a pretty big way. Idk why authors have so much trouble writing female characters, just do what One Piece does and have Nami/Robin mostly interchangeable characters if they were boys.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Witch Watch felt like a rehash but it was at least pretty funny when Moi felt an unwanted sense of kinship with the president because they both exist to babysit morons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started reading Samurai 8 on a whim and huh, you’d really think Kishimoto just doing the story and not drawing too would have made the pilot tighter paced. It’s almost half a volume of manga pages (which itself seems super indulgent) and it won’t get to the point already (halfway through).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess this is the most relevant thread, so I’m on episode seven of Saint Seiya and:
- this poo poo is so corny it owns
- this is basically just anime wrestling, nonstop extra over the top backstories
- this really was where all the anime cliches like tournament arcs started, huh?

I always thought this series was an isekai or the anime version of Ancient Greece though, not like modern day gladiator tournament arcs in (then) modern Japan.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t know what a To Luve Roux is but Jesus, that poor guy got it bad. Ecchi’s not my thing but I hope the author and his daughter are doing good now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's such a great scene that's all goofy, cool, and terrifying. I'm really hoping they nail the landing when he finally does make his entrance.

Someone in the comments of the SJ page suggested that the old man might be Sakamoto's dad, which I hope isn't the case

in retrospect that wouldn’t be that crazy since he just constantly mumbles, huh? Idk, that would be pretty great for the inevitable meeting of his daughter-in-law/granddaughter, especially if he just goes around doing insane poo poo with the flat of his blade after being converted to a not-murderer.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ngl I don’t read all the rambling, I just gloss over it, I think that’s the “point” anyway until things veer off from it, like the Genos backstory bit in One Punch Man.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Personally it’s Harry Potter X One Punch Man, that’s just me though

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Uron Mirage was funny, even though I didn't feel entirely sure what it was parodying (which is weird given how many different shonen manga I've read). Actually, I guess it's funny precisely because I'm not quite sure what it's parodying; it's refreshing after all the explaining-the-joke in the two student council chapters. The "confusing"/"mysterious" plot/setting elements (especially the scene with the commanding officer) make me think of Attack on Titan or maybe Fullmetal Alchemist, but the character dynamics and tone (except for the ending) don't really fit.

It reminded me a lot of Kingdom Hearts. Like, a LOT like Kingdom Hearts, im sure there’s plenty of other series that have those tropes and drop vague allusions to bullshit for fans to endlessly speculate on but it’s probably the most ubiquitous instance of the kind of storytelling/writing Uron Mirage is taking the piss out of.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The Futurama anime did.

Joking aside, I wonder how many cult classic manga/anime over the years got cancelled because they were mismanaged and/or sabotaged like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf there’s literally a part of Dragonball where Goku begged Krillin not to kill Vegeta, the guy who then went on to literally murder a village of Namekians and later gloated about it, because he’s a fight junkie. Like it definitely gets exaggerated as a joke but that’s at least one time where Goku got people killed indirectly.