Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

Would it be better to read the manga or watch the anime then (or are both equally good)?

Honestly I never saw the original anime (just Ultimate Muscle) but read all the manga (including the spinoffs and sequels like Nisei). The manga rules but it starts as a gag parody of tokusatsu for a few dozen chaps before the first wrestling tournament comes up (arpund chapter 28, the chojin olympic arc) and THEN it becomes a full on superhuman wrassler manga.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It was funny to see the son of the high priest getting horrified at seeing the exposition dialog saying that every historian the author met said he was a completely unimportant guy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sakamoto just keeps being the coolest

That's a cool way to explain why he picked the fat disguise, not only by introducing the technique used but also because he thinks it is amusing to children.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sindai posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/27f36067-a8ee-4c28-8241-2f911ff2ce8d

drat, Tenkaichi going on indefinite hiatus because the artist is doing Versus. (AFAICT that's not an AF joke.)

I didn't notice until now that the author was the author and artist on Gamaran, but that definitely tracks.

EDIT: Meant to post in the seinen thread but this is close enough I guess.

Hurrr

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shibatarian is cool but I am skeptic it can go much longer on Jump... it definitely belongs on another kind of mag.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kanchome :cry:

e: Holy poo poo lmao post-timeskip Tio is buff

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 14, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Tangentially related thought: People point out similarities between Demon Slayer and early Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but the really blatant knockoff in that regard is Buso Renkin. Papillon Mask in particular is basically just straight up Dio

It actually gets referenced on the work itself.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Julias posted:

Versus sucks, it's not interesting or humorous. People are just giving it the benefit of the doubt because of ONE'S reputation.

I like it. Bitch.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

I said it a few weeks ago, enjoy Fabricant while it lasts. That training arc upgrade was a death flag. But I really appreciate how this manga keeps sticking to its major conceit. The Fabricant aren’t human and never will be human

Yeah this last chapter pretty much solidifies it's ending this arc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kinda related to SDS is Kongou Banchou a good read?

Absolutely. I wish there were better quality scans but Kongou Banchou absolutely loving rules a lot and honestly I wish it got a sequel instead of 7DS.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Best Kongou Banchou moment was when the party were running a gauntlet of 1x1 fights and Hikyou Banchou (AKA Midriff Batman) was set up against a dude with a Kabuki gimmick that looked extremely powerful but he had to forfeit because Hikyou poisoned him with laxative food a day earlier and forced Kabuki guy to go to the bathroom.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah I think the ending arc of magi got a real bad pacing to it that slowed down at parts and rushed others. I also wanted to see more of the epilogue as well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Raiku is a genius at alternating between humor and serious tension. First half had excellent gags and second half got me on my toes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I assume they'll do the actual intended ending instead of going from an absolutely glacial pace to suddenly kicking off the final battle out of nowhere and closing out the series in five chapters.

Not that there's much to get excited about, it's just endless fights against a literal alphabet army of villains and basically nothing else.

My brother in christ you are in the Shounen thread what the gently caress else you want

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

New Versus

Just one more month before the plot starts in earnest!

I liked it, tbh. Took a bit long with setup but I can definitely see it will all pay off and it really shows the stakes and danger with how incredibly scary every single anti-human faction seems to be. (I'm really curious about the Evil God and New Humanity's deal though)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Posted it on chat thread but Kongoh Bancho is getting a new scanlation with better pages and translation. Strongly recommend it, honestly prefer it over Seven Deadly Sins.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/d9a70caa-03b9-4921-9084-140d4b0a1931/1

New Versus. The Giants are scary!!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Roboco is so loving good lol really underrated manga

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Julias posted:

No :) still ongoing

No scans since 2020 too :)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The new Elusive Samurai chapter with the giant warrior dude just casually mauling his own retainers who don't even react to the pain out of fear and the other Daimyo just looking horrified was pretty funny

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fabricant 100 was a shame, but it clearly had enough warning or at least foresaw its own demise to steer its way to a satisfying conclusion, enough to recommend reading it.

It and Embalming made me realize you can't have a Frankenstein shonen for long

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol the new roboco is a miyazaki parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Centuria looks amazing, I hope it manages to not be cancelled.