Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Since the OP hasn't been updated in ages, can anyone maybe give me an idea of what the good new currently ongoing shounen are these days? I'm familiar with stuff like One Punch Man and Toriko. I mean stuff like World Trigger which id somehow never heard of.
I got into Magi a while back and fell out of it at some random point. I just sped through all of World Trigger, good fun, like people mentioned the strengths are great battles subverting (and sometimes directly throwing shade at) shounen expectations but drat are there too many random generic characters for me to keep track of...I think I've finally got like 90% of them straight but every other chapter or so I had to remind myself with a Google search who this random Border guy was and what he did. Makes me wish you could combine Bleach's stylishness with World Trigger's brains. I like it though, it's "smart" battle shounen for the most part
And yeah I'm onboard Helck, though I miss the early chapters and now that it's kind of just a generic fantasy story I'm not as helck crazy

Oh and I tried reading some Big Order for some reason, Jesus Christ I don't think I've ever read a manga that derailed so quickly into a disjointed garbage mess, had to drop that poo poo pretty fast. Which is too bad, I remember Mirai Nikki sucking but I don't remember it sucking as quickly as Big Order just blowing up on the launch pad basically. Is it actually a popular series? How'd it even get an anime? It's like schizophrenia.

I don't think it's new, but I'm liking Nanatsu no Taizai. It's not very original, but what it does it does fairly well, with usually clear art and with pretty good pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

at first the whole sin motif was complete bullshit, as were the crimes they were charged with. but now it looks like those really are each of their fatal flaws.

Meh, I still think it's of little consequence to the story. It seems to exisst mostly to make it look deeper and more mysterious than it really is.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

i dont think it has ever pretended to be deep. just that all of the sins are terrible people in some way.

Except that most aren't really terrible for the most part. They just made a mistake.
But yes, it never pretended to be deep the moment the story began. Probably one of the reasons I like it. It's just a fun simple romp.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Read the latest 7 Deadly Sins and I kind of hope they don't go the super obvious route of "girl with magical healing powers reviving Meliodas", though I'm 95% sure they will. It was fun and unexpected having Meliodas sucker-punch Dolor and that fairy guy out of nowhere a few chapters back. I legit have no clue what route the story can go at this point, because none of the deadly sins are even remotely as strong as the 10 commandments except for Meliodas, Escanor, and arguably Harlequin (in short bursts). Speaking of Escanor, it seems like he is even stronger than Meliodas during the day; he easily defeated 2 commandments in a straight fight, while Meliodas explicitly stated that he would probably lose if he didn't catch Dolor/fairy off-guard. Granted, it seems like spear-dude is the weakest, but he beat him and necro-mancer girl pretty much effortlessly.
Seven sins
I was a little surprised that Meliodas actually died, I really hope that they aren't going to go the obvious route. Escanor sucker punched Dolor and Gloxinia, but according to Gowther he wasn't even at full strength. I seriously want to see full powered Escanor take on a full powered 10 commandments. The panel where he was about to flatten spiky dude was epic.

The gap is power is currently ridiculous and I have no idea how even the odds without making it seem cheap.

I wonder how long it will take for Ban to regenerate.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Seven deadly sins
He's still dead. Color me surprised.
Nice timeskip.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bleremiah posted:

Pride confirmed for best sin in the last few chapters of seven deadly sins

This was a perfect resolution to a great fight.

I really like Escanor and the way his might is balanced.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Is Claymore good?

I miss Claymore.
I found it to be very good, with some cool monster en power designs.
What I personally also liked is how the author avoided making the conflict any bigger than he had to. The anime is pretty good as well, but it only reaches until about 1/3 or 1/2 of the manga and then adds it's own ending which is...not completely terrible?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

claymore had really great monster designs. it was kind of odd how the story eventually explained all the mysteries while also making it seem like those answers were largely irrelevant, though.

A lot of mysteries weren't answered at all as far as I know.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nah, they revealed everything. what youma are, what was up with the organization, the nature and purpose of claymores.

Except the answers were empty?

Nate RFB posted:

Clare was special because she was basically Mega Man.

Anyway everything was answered, but gimme the GOD drat candy is right in that the characters basically went "OK, we just want to live here by ourselves in peace so we don't actually give a gently caress about this war with the dragons or whatever".

Actually, never mind. Nate RFB puts it eloquently.
That whole part not being explained and them just doing whatever is actually one of the high points of the story.

EmmyOk posted:

Right now I am lolling at my previous "wow these Claymores cause more problems than they help" statement. I really wasn't expecting the answer to where Claymores and Yoma come from to be another continent where they're designed to kill Dragon men. I really like the lore of this series in general.

The way Isely went down was super hosed up and creepy and I liked it a lot, especially the fact that he seemed to be regaining his humanity before then. I'm super curious about the Raki/Priscilla situation because it was so strange when he told Renée about it. Priscilla has stopped feeding and lessened in power since she met Raki but some day she'll reach breaking point and he'll try to kill her but probably fail. He's super chill about this though :stare: I like that he's about as strong as a person can be without Yoma cells though.

I'm curious about Awakenings in general because they seem to be far more powerful than you'd expect from the amount of Yoma the person has or independent of how strong they were before they awoke. Clare partially awakened annihilated Rigoldo with ease whereas he was the strongest male second only to Isley. Clare only has 1/2 the Yoma of others though and she seems way stronger so it's about way more than the cells themselves.

Beth and Alicia are just about to fight Riful which I am pretty hyped for. I expect Riful to go down but Luciela/Rafaela to awaken and be a Priscilla-tier abyssal one. Possibly Beth will die and Alicia will become another Abyssal.

You read fast. Isley going down was strangely sad. :(

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hopeford posted:

So mangastream has a new table tennis series called Full Drive. It seems pretty fun so far, from the first chapter.

I find it rather adorable how much the protagonist and the female lead loving love table tennis. They are basically being like "I LOVE THIS GAME" "ME TOO" "gently caress LET'S PLAY" "YEAH" and just hype each other up. They come across like kids who love their sport a ton, it's super endearing.

Yeah, there's something sweet about it. I do hope that it doesn't end up taking itself to seriously, but it looks okay.

TriffTshngo posted:

The actual game was basically impossible to follow, I had no idea who was hitting or missing when but I do enjoy the energy.

And very much this. Like that first loop thing, did she return it? I think she missed. But that hardly matters I think? It seems more about the enjoyement of the sport.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Full Drive's dialog is loving weird.

Agreed. The game is still hard to follow, but it seems like it's getting slightly better?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dexo posted:

New Series: Monster Arms Dealer

http://readms.net/r/mad/01/4727/1

What if the real enemy was humanity?

Unfortunately mangastream isn't going to do the rest of the Manga. Looks nice

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I am so happy you guys posted links to Jaiminisbox.

I first read We Can't Study on Mangastream, but they dropped it after a few chapters. :(

I didn't know another group was translating it. It's friggin adorable. So binge reading/catching up it now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mikl posted:

Best wingwomen itt.

At least better than Yuiga's wingmen.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
How long are they going to dance around this?

Fun chapter though

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Unlike some other tropey romcoms (Nisekoi) the main character is likeable and a good dude and all of the girls are extremely good so I will accept all of the prolonging nonsense the author wants to throw in there as long as it continues being this cute and entertaining.

Absolutely. I rather like all characters and most of the stuff is adorable and quite funny. I hope everyone gets their best match at the end. :ohdear:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

The mangaka behind Angel Legend and Claymore returns with a new series!

Soukyuu no Ariadne

The art's a lot different from what it used to be like, I think, though that might be cause I never read Claymore.

Apparently it was released as a one-shot before, and is now getting a proper series.

Truthism was a series where the MC was already in love with a girl from the beginning, so nobody else ever had a chance.

Art looks pretty much the same, except a bit cleaner and the backgrounds are a lot more detailed? Going to read this. I liked Claymore.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I never read angel densetsu, but I just finished reading this. Seems fun.

I always liked Claymores style, though they had an unfortunate lack of faces problem.
I feat this series will have the same fate as we already have Raki, slightly younger Clare and Chronos.

Hate senpai seeing all those images really highlights how the Mangaka is still developing while still retaining his specific style. :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

The mangaka Kosuke Fujishima (who is 53-years old) knocked up a 20-year old woman and she announced that they were getting married.

Around the same time, it was reported that:

(a) Kosuke Fujishima was married and got divorced in 2014;

(b) he was also in another long-term relationship with a third woman who was waiting for him to get a divorce so they could get married;

(c) Kosuke Fujishima ghosted this third woman;

(d) this third woman is now suing Kosuke Fujishima for mental anguish.
Guess we now know where he got his inspiration.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Explosions posted:

We Never Learn needs to stop being a harem comic and became about dating a swim lady with help from your situationally dumb besties, fight me.

Isn't it that already? Though I would say it more as:
We Never Learn is about dating a swim lady with help from your situationally dumb female friend and his cute small animalfriend.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

It's an extremely easy joke to figure out if you aren't braindead, y'all

This. We don't even use the alphabet for grading here, instead opting for the far superior 1-10 scale and even I got the jokes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't know. I liked it and how Yuiga at least tried to skip sensei.
But honestly I do like the Sensei parts the least

Didn't really like the whole "as expected of a boy" comment. Doesn't seem like it fits into senseis character

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 31, 2017

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We can't study 46

We can't study 47

I wonder if the new names will stick.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Not even We Can't Study can make beach episodes not suck.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

It was actually a super good fanservice chapter.

True, the guy can draw a good set of fairly realistic boobs. However I prefer a bit more laughs and cuteness over fanservice. :dunno:
I just found the bra obsessed wildlife a bit too farfetched.

Mulderman posted:

He tried to do that a few chapters ago actually.

I do wonder how that woman manages to function. Except for teaching she seems to gently caress up every single thing she does. It's honestly impressive!
Easy, she has a student to cover for her. :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

caught up on soukyuu no ariadne (the new series by the author of claymore) and it's it's not bad. I like the art a lot better than claymore for starters. it's not really doing anything new but the characters are fun. especially the princess, who's great so far

Where can I read it?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Thank you. :) I had forgotten the link.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Funny that they swapped it around. Instead of Nariyuki caught with the girls it's the girls caught with the boys.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Here's a promising new series, by what appears to be a new author! The Hero Girl and the Green Magician

Looks really nice, thank you for posting.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Golem Hearts and Full Drive are canned looks like.

I don't think anyone is surprised by the latter. It was okay, but extremely generic.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Allarion posted:

Man I forgot that her best friend was also the best. Been a while since we've seen her.
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/51/page/1

I'm always amused when they acknowledge odd poses in the story with the wrong conclusions. Like with her best friend. :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I love this chapter. Great Fumino faces, nice humor and pastries.

It's so easy to forget that she has a thing for Nariyuki as well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New We Can't Study
And it's great. :allears:

I love Kominami who seems to be fully aware of all the impossible stuff happening.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

New We Never Learn! (That's the official name on the merch, god drat it Jaminisbox stop using 'We Can't Study.')

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/55/

Fantastic chapter, so many cute faces. Say it.

Also, in case anyone finds the featured game to be a bit far-fetched, I can confirm it's a real thing! My old third year students were playing it at lunch shortly before they graduated, although they played to laughter rather than blushing. I lost too, so I feel you Nariyuki.

I love this manga. :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Latest chapter is out. I love teachers appartment.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Jaimini's just posted a couple chapters of Memesis, which despite what you might be thinking has nothing to do with memes. It's a pun name. Stop me if you've heard this one before, but there was a party of warriors led by a Hero on a quest to defeat a demon lord. This follows the two other warriors after having parted ways with the Hero, now on their own quest. Basically, the Hero ditched them because he didn't like them and they want to beat the demon lord first just to spite him. Other characters are speechless at their lame backstory. They are also probably boyfriends.

It's pretty funny.

I read all 3 chapters. I'm not sure yet if I'll stick with it. I'll keep reading for now, because it has its moments.

But like give me the candy, I find that the idea seems awesome, but the execution is a bit...meh.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The main characters are grating, the scholar guy is the unenjoyable kind of 'super smart' and the girl is a confused ditzy vehicle for famservice, and unless they do something real dramatic with the premise then it also has a wasted premise.

And as a 'science' manga it has Dr Stone to contend with.

Yeah. It feels very flat and it doesn't even do fanservice very well. Scholar guy doesn't even come across as very smart. Mostly just a bit of a dick.

I don't know why, but I get this webcomic feel from it.

I keep wanting to read dr Stone,because it looks good, but haven't gone beyond chapter 1 yet. :(

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah I'd definitely like to read more Jujutsu, it was a neat Jump Start and I like the MC. To be fair tho I also want to read more Ziga and Noah's Notes cause I'm easy to please with shonen manga.

In other news, the newest chapter of We Never Learn is all about Uruka and Nariyuki using English- like written in English- and it was hilarious in the original Japanese and I am so drat curious to find out how it is translated, both by scans and by the official release. Also as an English teacher in Japan, it was painfully relatable.

Jamini already has translated it two days ago.
translated chapter

It was kinda funny at the start, but it's not the best. Still cute though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Jaimini's Box has picked up Noah's Notes and has finally gotten to Chapter 4, which is the first chapter after the 3 Viz translated officially for its Jump Start.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/noah-s-notes/en/0/4/page/1

So I guess the Templar are pretty much the Templar from Assassin's Creed.

I feel like chapter 5 is going to make or break this series, depending on how they deal with this guy, though this chapter felt pretty good. I liked how they tried to get rid of the guys.

Somewhat related due to both having smart protagonists, I recently binge read dr Stone. It is an awesome series and I 10 billion percent love it.

There's this really strange combination of realism and fantasy going on. Like the characters are completely fantasy, but then the way they transfered history in the tribe is just crazy enough to sound realistic. Same with some of the things they've made. I guess the reliance on science forces him to be grounded more than most other series.

I do miss Taiju after so long. :( I look forward to seeing them again.

It's really quite unfortunate for Noah's notes to be sharing the time with dr Stone. It does invite some comparisons that it can't answer (yet).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Noah's notes part 5

It's still pretty generic, but this was pretty good if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dexo posted:

Ogata's friend chapter.

I like this chapter and I'm firmly in the Ogata with Sekijou camp.
Oddly it feels like the "story" has made progress.