Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's very, very cool of Reaper, given you're basically undercutting their post-kickstarter retail channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also repacking a shipping container and sailing it to australia isn't free.

I do think that that $179 probably would have covered direct shipping from Texas to Australia, though. Is that $179 US, or dollarydoos?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Down-undollars? Outbucks?

Didgeridollars

Wallabucks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

US Dollars, which is $238 dollarydoos today. That's probably almost enough money for international express.

Repacking a container and sailing it to Australia isn't free, but it's a drat sight cheaper than what was charged.

I agree. I think you're wrong that overcharging for international shipping was an intentional choice to subsidize US shipping, but I agree you've been overcharged and have grounds to complain. Have you sent a complaint to Reaper?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Got my 11 pound package, will open tonight! Delight mixes with remorse. Why did I buy this stuff, again? Oh yeah, because it's cool and fun. But also a giant waste of money. But toys! Toys I'll mostly never ever use.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I've found it helps if you separate and bag your minis by type. Like, all the orcs in one bag, elves in another, Asian-style beings in a third, all the spacemans, the lizardmans, why do i have so many lizardmans....

...Okay, maybe "helps" isn't the right word here. But it's great for, um, keeping perspective! :suicide:

I decided a year ago to put together models suitable for Frostgrave, so I got all my Bones I and II models and went through and separated out every figure that could be a fighter and every figure that could be a wizard.

I have enough figures for like... twenty simultaneous games of Frostgrave. Not counting any of my non-Bones figures, and not counting what I'll be adding from Bones III.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think the distinction is, 4th hasn't launched people, calm the gently caress down. Previewing a little of an upcoming kickstarter that is still months away is fine and good and totally appropriate: every company should build interest in an upcoming kickstarter that far out, and Reaper definitely does not want months of idle time at home while people at distribution centers around the world are still working. They need to put their sculptors and marketers etc. to work now, or they'll lose them. You can't just let your staff be unemployed for three to six months just because your previous kickstarter is now entirely in the shipping phase.

I get that folks are impatient and upset that stuff is taking a long time to get to them, but Reaper bothering to give useful work to their employees in the meantime is a good thing which directly benefits everyone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I'm also upset that they ripped me off just fyi

Not upset enough to actually tell them your grievances. You just complain about it here. It's exactly like people who bitch about the President but never voted.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I complain about it on the KS too, along with some others, but they never respond to us and only to the people asking softball questions around us, because they know they've done something wrong and just don't care.

So directly ask them for a refund of your exorbitant shipping charges. Via email on their support line.

I mean I agree they ripped you off, but I don't understand at all being mad that this company is still planning to do another kickstarter; and if you're not upset about that, why would you be upset about them previewing stuff months in advance that will be in that kickstarter?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

The same reason I'm also upset about Palladium and RRT, and why others are upset about Mierce and Maelstrom.

Those situations are quite different. Those companies have failed to deliver for years, used funds from a later kickstarter to pay for stuff for an earlier one, changed the products being delivered post-KS, hosed people on refunds, and in one case, closed their doors, kept the money, and then re-opened under a new company name and pretended like that wasn't literally theft.

All Reaper has done in your case is charged a lot for shipping for what turned out to be slow, ground/sea shipping that has delayed delivery by a handful of months. They haven't refused to refund you, haven't stolen your money, haven't changed the products they promised, and have not actually started another kickstarter or even started selling the products you're waiting for to the public. There's a categorical difference between "I paid for air shipping and am getting ground" and "they stole our money".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

So dispute the payment via Paypal or whatever, or take them to small claims court, or write them a posted letter expressing your concerns. I genuinely empathize with your anger, but impotently raging about it here (or in the 3rd KS chat or the Reaper forums, apparently) isn't going to change anything. Either make a plan to get satisfaction and follow it through, or let it go and move on.

:australia:: I keep doing something that isn't effective. I guess I should keep doing it.

I mean he hasn't even sent them an email saying "I'm upset about this, please refund me the excess shipping charges and/or cancel my whole order and give me a full refund." It's crappy they didn't respond on the kickstarter comments section but that's never been a highly effective way to request a refund or fix a busted pledge or whatever, for any company really.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

You say they're different, and yet I see three companies who have stolen money from customers, so really not that different at all.

It's not theft if Reaper would give you a refund on request, dude. You're refusing to do the one single obvious thing that would immediately satisfy your complaint.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't understand how starting the next ks is related to delivery being complete on the previous. It would even be ok to run two ks campaigns in parallel... it's not as if Reaper is being accused or suspected of misuse of funds or something, nor have they put up for retail sale items that aren't delivered to some backers yet.

I thought the actual complaint was charging aj amount for shipping that would have covered airmail, and then doing slow sea shipping anyway. That's a legit and valid complaint, and it's reasonable to demand a partial refund of the shipping charges. Demanding the company furlough or lay off its production staff for months rather than have them get to work on the next release in the meantime, though? That's nonsensical. Nobody involved in designing, sculpting, making molds, and doing the marketing for the next kickstarter has any ability to make australian deliveries happen faster, or decide to issue refunds to those customers, so why should they sit idle?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

woah, I hadn't seen that.

Yeah now that is something I'd complain about. Kickstarter fulfillment should definitely be complete before you can buy the same stuff at retail.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, so just pledge $1 for the Wave 1 $1 pledge instead of getting stuck with Wave 2 and I assume you can still buy exactly the same stuff including core sets. It's what I just did.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got a thousand bucks worth of Bones at home, I have to stay strong and not go whole hog on this one. I'm going to pick out specific items I really want and only buy them. That's the plan. Yes. I am going to do this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

So many lies. Lies to Reaper, lies to your fellow goontrymen, and lies to yourself. :(

And lies to you, too. I'm one of several goons who owe you a painted Bone. I haven't forgotten.

Actually, PM me your address.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

those minotaurs are teeny, they're shorter than Sir Forscale

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh my god how did I not notice that

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Both Guthrie and Garrity will sculpt unrealistic boobs, though: they're both responsible for producing something resembling the concept art, and Reaper knows perfectly well that the titty models sell. It's heartening to see that they're mixing in more non-titty female models these days, including some really great armored women who don't have boob plate... but yeah, neither of those sculptors have drawn a line and refused to carve a bulbous, oversized, unnaturally perky tit when requested.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skeletal monsters are the first thing I've seen that I'll definitely buy; I might go for the wraiths, and the apes are tempting but I don't actually have a legit use for them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

The skeletal monsters are kinda neat but don't seem like they'd be much fun to paint, being all one color. They do look pretty cool though.

People who paint their skeletons all one color are not doing a good job painting skeletons. Real life bones are usually not a uniform white.

e. That sounded overly snarky so I'll just add that in addition to doing nicely browned natural bone looks, there's no reason why your skeletons can't be for example painted with magic runes or decorated with scary red sigils or something.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 7, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They could not have picked a set of minis I'd be less inclined to like and share on Facebook if they'd tried.

So far I think I'm in for the skeletal monsters, wraiths, maybe the trolls, and when they become available separately I'd possibly buy in on the townsfolk, alligator/pig/crab, maybe the apes. Oh and the pig pumpkin cart. And even though it's not shown yet, baba yaga of course.

It's starting to add up :negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reaper's administrators have a responsibility to properly document things before they fire someone, to make sure they avoid a wrongful termination lawsuit. That includes being sure of their facts, and probably talking to the company's lawyer. I would give them a couple of days before deciding that they're gonna whitewash the whole thing.

They are probably looking at what just happened with Google, and trying to figure out how to get rid of the toxic guy without suffering that kind of publicity. I can't say I blame them.

If they're instead trying to figure out how to keep their guy and make the whole thing go away, well, we'll be able to know that for sure given a few days, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Wrongful termination? This is Texas son, we fire people that like beans (or no beans) in their chili or root for the wrong football team.

I know you're just joking, but: there are federal laws too. Basically political speech is not one of the protected classes, federally or by texas law, so they can totally fire him. But, to avoid potential lawsuits, companies are wise to document why they fire someone, as protection against a spurious suit alleging they fired that person due to one of the protected classes (things like age, gender, religion, race, etc.).

Secondarily, Reaper's board would be wise to very carefully consider what they will say publicly. They have a responsibility to handle the matter carefully. If they fire the guy and make a good public statement within the next two to four days or so, I would consider that to be a totally reasonable timeframe and would not hold the delay against them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not a lawyer but I think that would be legal. They'd be fools to announce such a thing prior to removing the employee from the workplace and revoking access to all systems, though, because that's an invitation to the employee to cause trouble. Some kind of lon leave pending investigation" seems to be common. But, Reaper is still a relatively tiny company... doing this stuff is hard when you don't have administrative redundancy and the employee in question is an administrator.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there some source for this "If you hate fascists you are a communist" notion? Was "The Greatest Generation" all a bunch of Dirty Reds because they fought Hitler? I'm truly at a loss as to how the Durn Commies are the real problem.

Read about Antifa. People who hate fascists is not synonymous with Antifa, and it's a mistake to conflate them.

If the only transgression here were being critical of Antifa's use of violence, that would actually be fine. But it's clearly not... and being critical of Antifa is sometimes just "code" or an icebreaker for plowing full tilt into being a racist fascist shithead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It boils down to "Good things are exactly the same as bad things" and "truth is in the middle" lines of thinking.

Kind of.

Antifa specifically can be accurately described as an extreme left-wing movement. It's tricky, because it is not really an "organization" in the sense of having a top-down structure; but its origins and motives and political approach are all born from the anarchist movement, which is generally considered to be very Left. Combined with the direct-action, "show of force" tactics and the numerous cases where people self-identifying as Antifa have initiated violence against fascist demonstrations, it's accurate to refer to Antifa specifically as a "often violent far left movement."

THAT SAID.

Most of the counter-protestors against the explicitly Nazi, the kinda-Nazi, the white power, the alt-right, and the code-words-for-being-super-racist-while-claiming-they're-not-super-racist groups are not Antifa. Being against those organizations is not inherently leftist, and indeed they are routinely denounced by Republicans and others on the right of the political spectrum. I'll wager there's at least a smattering of Republican voters showing up to protest against white nationalists. It's just as much a mistake to blanketly tar everyone on the right side of the spectrum as being Nazis as it is to blanketly describe everyone who hates Nazis as being violent or being Antifa or being communists.

So as for Reaper's shithead: yeah he wasn't just calling out Antifa for tactics that can be legitimately debated by reasonable people. Like, if you read up on the civil rights movement, there are legitimate and reasonable disagreements you could have about the rift between Dr. King and Malcom X and their professed approaches, and having that discussion doesn't make you a racist. But that's definitely not the core complaint here. This dude was posting racist poo poo and defending white supremacists. It's better to not worry about the claim of Antifa being commies (which is still a mistake, because anarchists and communists are not really all that well aligned); when the alt-right uses coded language to promote their ideas, they often use the lingering fear of communism as a tool to filter out and separate people who may be more sympathetic to their views, or to try to divide their opponents on the left, or just to signal to one another that since anticommunism = patriotism, being an alt-right nazi shithead = patriotism.

I'm spelling all this out because I know there's several non-Americans in the thread who may not be familiar with the intricacies of our national politics. I personally had to recently learn a lot more about these groups: I was not familiar with Antifa specifically. It's a very touchy subject. It's not easy to navigate, even if you're someone who is strongly against the alt-right; there are first amendment rights in question here, going down fundamentally to questions like "should hate speech be protected by the first amendment" and "is hate speech 'violent' and therefore legitimate to oppose violently" and "are Trump rallies inherently in support of racism" and those questions are not usually thoughtfully debated during public protests or in facebook threads.

So what should you do? I have a suggestion for the thread, because I don't really want it to turn into a reprisal of some of the extremely terrible conversations that go on in D&D. I would like to suggest that all of these types of opinions be considered reasonable and acceptable:

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I'm just so tired of being outraged all the time, and I want a bunch of little mans to paint. He's a huge shitbag but we're not going to fix him and if he does lose his job it's just going to push him further right as he complains about "SJWs costing him his job."

At this point he hasn't actually run over anyone with a car or burned down a church so I don't really care if he keeps his job or not. Hopefully all his friends tell him what a huge idiot he is and he feels like an rear end for loving with the kickstarter profits and maybe he has to think about his lovely opinions, but probably not.

I think this poster has a reasonable approach.

Indolent Bastard posted:

"Don't blame my employer for my stupidity." Don't worry Matt, we won't, but we might blame your employer for continuing to employ a short sighted, narrow minded troll. That continued employment is entirely on their head and they can reap the consequences.

And so is this.

evenworse username posted:

I can re-pledge if Reaper does something meaningful. I don't necessarily think he's gotta be fired (although I also have zero sympathy if that were how it ended up); I agree that putting him in charge of raising money for a donation to SPLC or a minority internship program or something like that could be sufficient as well.

And so is this.

I would like to suggest that some folks that feel the need to withdraw their pledge or not pledge are completely within the realm of reasonableness to do so: while at the same time, others who feel OK with continuing their pledge, regardless of the outcomes, are also taking a reasonable approach. This isn't some kind of milquetoast "the truth is in the middle" appeal, either: I'm not personally attacking Antifa (my feelings about Antifa are conflicted and ambivilent right now and I don't feel comfortable taking a strong position from a point of relative ignorance) nor am I criticizing anyone who feels disgusted and repelled by Matt's posts, and I am not advocating for a middle-of-the-road political position that accepts anything about the alt-right's messages or positions. But I think it's fair to acknowledge and respect a reasonable range of reactions to the situation with Reaper. And I reserve the right to change my mind in the future, depending on what Reaper does over the next few days, and in the long run.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've had people I've known for decades suddenly reveal some really lovely racist opinion seemingly out of the blue. It's pretty easy to not know the politics of a long-time co-worker or even a friend, depending on the context of your conversations and relationship.

One of the things that is going on in America right now is kind of a revelation to the mainstream that the far-right is not nearly as fringe and tiny as we had imagined.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

You have another 16 days until the project ends, at which point you need to have either backed at $1, or at $100, on the kickstarter page. and that money is then paid immediately on the project ending. Further down the page you'll see a link to the pledge manager. This is where you select which bits and pieces you actually want, and it will remain open for you to chop, change, add, or subtract until July 2018, at which point you will need to finalise your order, and pay any additional costs over the top of the $1 or $100 you initially backed with.

The starter set will be broken into smaller units for smaller add ons in the pledge manager, but the two expansions won't.

Just to be even clearer:

When you pledge, you join the kickstarter as a backer, and you pick one of the two available pledge tiers, which are the $1 tier and the $100 tier.

At that time, and at any time before the end of the kickstarter, you can add additional dollars to your pledge regardless of which tier you picked. At the end of the kickstarter, your account/card/whatever will be charged the dollar amount of your pledge.

Later, you can use the Pledge Manager to also add more dollars to your spend. You can't use the Pledge Manager to reduce your spend from what you locked in at the end of the kickstarter itself (unless you have some grounds to request a refund or something).

So, during the kickstarter, let's say you decide you want $143 of stuff. You could:
A) Pledge at the $1 tier, and add on $142 more to your pledge
B) Pledge at the $100 tier, and add on $42 more to your pledge

These are functionally identical, because in the Pledge Manager, you'll have exactly the same options to pick from with your $142. Let's suppose that after the Pledge Manager opens up, you decide you want to add another $50: you could do so again regardless of what your pledge tier had been.

Because of this arrangement, when picking which tier you want, you should A) not pick a tier that is more money than you definitely want to spend (so if you're not sure you want to spend at least $100, you should pick the $1 tier): and then, if you're still picking between two tiers, B) pick the tier that has the best Wave.

So right now at this second, if you're in the North/Central/South America region, the best $1 tier available is Wave 8, and the best $100 tier available is Wave 10. So Anyone in North/Central/South America pledging right now should be picking the $1 tier regardless! You can add as much cash as you want to your $1 pledge, and you can use it to purchase $100 Core sets, too. There's no reason to take a Wave 10 shipment date when you can get Wave 8 instead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sexy mushroom lady, yes, that's what I always wanted, or something

if it wasn't for the milquetoast "hope it just goes away" approach to their resident white power dude, I'd probably be $350+ into this KS by now

I'm almost kind of glad I have a good reason not to spend money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just canceled my pledge. I don't need to spend the money, I don't need more Bones, there's probably several hundred dollars worth of minis I like but... yeah, I'm painting at about three to five per year right now so I have a multi-lifetime supply already.

What email did you guys use for telling Reaper how they hosed up? just help@reapermini.com?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo. I've had a painted miniature that I wanted to send sitting on a table for like... a year, and it's only waiting for me to remember to take it outside and hit it with matte finish. Pretty sure I even got Munki's address a while back.

Well anyway that's a sweet haul!

Also by the way, trad games secret santa is up, it's a good opportunity to get Bones and/or buy other people Bones:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TacoNight posted:

Yes, that’s the fellow. I used the hot water trick to stand it up, since it came fairly bent. However, I didn’t do the cold water step, I’ll do that next time. An hour later after straightening it couldn’t hold its own weight. It would slowly bend backwards under the weight of the wings. A day later, it looks to be in better shape, so I guess I underestimated how long it needed to cool.

It's important to do the shock cooling: you're actually doing some sort of tempering to the plastic. Letting it cool slowly doesn't have the same effect.

I straightened a ton of bones by just hanging out on a kitchen stool with an electric kettle, a pyrex measuring cup to pour boiling water into, a pair of chopsticks for dipping with, and a big bowl of ice water. Just assembly-line it. Even with near-boiling water you can directly handle the plastic within a couple seconds of pulling it out, position the limbs and swords etc. as you want, and then straight into the ice water. It'll feel nice and firm within like five seconds, max.

If you don't mind adding a step, you can start with a third bowl contianing soapy water, to wash off any mold release that might be on the mini.

• Locked thread