Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
This is probably going to sound odd but if any UK goons want any Bones stuff painted for free I'm totally willing to do it. I really wanna paint some of the stuff and see what the models are like but have no room to keep anything myself. And I just like painting poo poo for people.

Gonna try and buy a vampire set anyway. I probably have floorspace somewhere in the apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

That sounds like a deal and a half to me. Where are you, roughly?

Just outside Leicester.

Shoot me an email at theworldoftights@yahoo.co.uk . I have a big airbrush compressor and everything ;)

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

moths posted:

I'm considering "painting" most of my bones with a black wash and using them as playing pieces. I don't want to go nuts, but I'd like a look that compliments the printed out terrain I'm into using.

But man alive I'm having trouble finding a wash that gets along with the bones plastic. Going to try GW's Nuln Oil next.

Your problem will be that washes are primarily aqueous. This will not want to party with the bare plastic. You can paint straight on them because paints are based on polymer binders, rather than being mostly water. This means to be able to just dunk them in wash you will need to give them a little spritz of primer. All washes are like 90% water, so brand/type isn't going to change much, except maybe using oil washes.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I got that clockwork dragon too, and as I mentioned in the KS thread, I'm disappointed in it. On the other hand, I forgot I'd added on Cthulhu at the last second, so... bonus! It looks like it'll be amazing, and I got an airbrush which is going to work great for this.

I thought part of the point of Bones is that they have a surface that you don't need to prime? My wife recently painted a Bones purple worm (she really wanted to use my airbrush) and she did not prime it first. Came out pretty well:

Paints and washes are very different in their composition though. Any plastic / polymer surfaces will take paint 'ok' at least. Washes are different. Being made so much more of water means it's not going to want to get all groovy with the plastic surfaces of models. Paints however have much more binder and it's own polymer binder in.

It's probably still going to give you a better result washing a bones model than another random plastic model, but it's not very analogous to painting.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I've poked a couple of the goons who are going to be stocking some of the vampire sets but everyone said shipping to someone in the UK is a pain in the butt (although they also said they would do it for a goon, which was awesome).

But are any of you guys situated in the UK and resellers?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Why am I poor I want some sweet bendy dragons.

I'm gonna try and get my hands on that clockwork dragon and add proper detailing to the wings following some complex antique clock designs.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

That's a really lovely paint job. I'm so jealous that someone else has that model and got to paint it so badly. The head's good. The rest is lazy.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Keep paints that have permanently separated or thickened up, if you have the space. They are excellent for adding texture to models. Damage on vehicles, for example, stipple on some of the thickened paint, then fill the middle in with black or something and leave the edges showing. The texture really adds to the effect. And it's good for adding a bit of individuality to walls, flat roads etc.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I'm in the process of prepping and painting SpaceInvader's Kaladrax reborn model, but his back leg (Kaladrax, not SpaceInvader) is sticking out like he's peeing on some adventurers. It's easy enough to reset, but I can't find any good pictures of what position to put it in. Even in the Reaper pictures he has hover leg. Anyone been able to reset it in a decent position?

If not I can get build a piece of ruins to rest his little leg on that you can take on and off the base, but if I can just find a way to bend it that would be easier.

I guess I could have it so Kaladrax is scratching his ear like a dog...

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Are there any UK goons willing to part with some bones? I'm looking for the giant/giantess minis, and any of the dragons that aren't Kaladrax.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

krushgroove posted:

I got almost all of the dragons but even though I haven't painted a single one yet the only one I want to part with is the Wyrmgears one (I think he was called the Clockwork Dragon in the Kickstarter). All the others I want to use as practice for large figures and such but if you want that one let me know.

Nah, Wyrmgears look like rear end. :(

PM me before you start painting Kaladrax, I'll tell you how I did a bunch of things that'll make your life a lot easier! :)

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Zurai posted:

I must be the only person who actually likes the Clockwork Dragon.

I think I'd really enjoy painting one, but I wouldn't want to keep it (don't like keeping things I paint) and no one would buy it from me afterwards. I have ideas and sketches for wing replacements, but I'm keeping those ideas hidden until I get my hands on one or use them on something else :D

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Whooo it's so cool to see him on the board! I'm so glad I got to see something I painted being played with, thank you for grabbing me some shots :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

moths posted:

Is it possible to get a Kaladrax base separately? It doesn't show in the store as a separate part.

e:vvv They'll have to bundle it with a rulebook or something - and then there's going to be A LOT of bendy gun barrels and wobbly robot legs. I don't have high hopes for this.

What do you want the base for? Its awful. Big old lump of crap.

• Locked thread