Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
For those of you who've worked with bones already, how do they take to glue? Can you use plastic cement on them, or will I have to use Superglue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cyster posted:

I'm using the NOVA marines as IntSec for Paranoia.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

There is no way they're digitally printing in China and then making molds from the prints. That would be a QC nightmare.
It's much more likely that the original sculpt was created in China by a Chinese sculptor, this is pretty common for toys these days. It's also pretty common for miss-communications to cause unexpected results like that when working with overseas artists.

For a short time one of the projects I worked on was using Chinese sculptors and we stopped because of the various communication difficulties that kept cropping up.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

I still absolutely do not regret the $200 of added-on paints, giants, elementals, and other poo poo I grabbed. I am so stoked and I don't care if I have to wait until Christmas.

My only regret is that maybe I didn't add enough stuff. :ohdear:

Yeah, despite the delay if i had it to do over again I would just throw more money at them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

moths posted:

After backing Ogre and a number of other delayed projects, I realized kickstarter delivery dates are just happy thoughts and dreams. The wait is part of why you're getting such an amazing deal. I think this may have been a lot of people's introduction to that process.

Yeah, I suspect a lot of the people who are getting upset are first time kickstarter backers. What's the current estimate for Ogre? October or something.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Oh yeah...

Hi there! We're shipping out your Kickstarter stuff!

You're getting:
Mind your Manors x1
Storm Giants x1
Demons x1
Fire Giant Warriors x1
Forces of Nature x1
Kaladrax Reborn x1
Jabberwock x1
Red Dragon x1
Undead Giant x1
Orcapocalypse x1
vampire x1

Hopefully will arrive in time for the four day weekend.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I just finished unboxing, cataloging and sorting my order. Everything is here except I'm missing a piece of Kaladrax leg, and one of my goblins is missing an arm.

Something I noticed, a few figs specifically the Pathfinder goblins and the head and tail tip of Kaladrax seem to be made of a softer rubbery material. Anyone know if this is intended or if maybe these pieces didn't cure right or something?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

moths posted:

I seem to be missing my Mr.Bones. I remember there were some problems with that one, is he getting mailed separately?

My Mister Bones was taped to one of my bigger models. I expected him to be bagged with all the other ones.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Zap-a-gap medium is doing a great job for me, gluing bones to bones, bones to metal and bones to plastic.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

After buying new paints to replace my old dried up ones, I realize that this kickstarter might have just been a trap.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I just started using the boiling water technique to straighten out my bones. It works surprisingly well.

Dipping a mini into boiling water for 25 seconds usually takes it back to it's intended shape on it's own. it becomes super rubbery and easy to move into a new shape if you want. Then dipping it into ice water sets it back into the new shape.

I set up a little assembly line in my kitchen and I've done about 30 figs in an hour or so.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

I've got some reaper black wash. Anyone tried applying it directly to bones without any paint underneath at all? I know watered down paints on bones tends to not go well, but I'm curious if straight wash will do any better.

What I want is to get some black wash down in the creases of some of the green translucent ghostly types so when I led them up, the high points (bones and such) glow more than the recesses.

No, the reaper black wash doesn't stick to unprimed minis, or at least not to the unprimed parts of my minis.
For the transparent minis, I got an brush on acrylic clearcoat to put down first, my washes seem to stick to that just fine.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Huh. Because I had a duplicate of this one green translucent one (the skeletons climbing out of the ground in a cloud of wispy smoke) so I just decided to see what'd happen between my previous post and now. The wash was undiluted, and seems to stick just fine and flow well. This was after giving the mini a good washing off with dish soap and a toothbrush and then drying it thoroughly, mind you. this was with 09255 Black Wash.

That's not to say the result was what I necessarily wanted, but the application went surprisingly well.

To be clear I haven't tested the wash on the transparent minis, I assumed they would react the same as the white ones.
On the white minis, after priming them white I washed them with Reaper Black Wash, the undersides and crevasse that didn't receive any primer didn't take the wash well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Yay, my bones arrived.

Boo, Kaladrax is all kinds of hosed up. Does anyone have a picture of his un-assembled right wing? I can't find a good picture on the internet to guide my attempts to reshape it. If I attach it so it fits in the hole, the arm goes straight up and over to the other side. I'll put up some pictures later if that makes no sense.

Most of the models need to be reshaped quite a bit, but Kaladrax is the only one (so far) that I don't know if I can save.

Also I got some mystery lady with a spear.

Try putting it in hot water and seeing if it sorts itself out. It's really like magic, you drop a bent mini in the pot and it slowly unbends itself.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Wow. Uh, that was pretty amazing. It's still not perfect, but holy poo poo it's way better now. And the other minis I dropped in straightened out in a couple of seconds. This is some kind of miracle plastic.

If it still needs some reshaping what you can do is drop it in the hot water until its soft, hold it in the position you want it and dip it in ice water. The plastic will go rigid in your hands in the shape you hold it in.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Last I checked there wasn't any official word on the rubbery Kaladrax head and tail, I'm holding off on even assembling mine until I find out for sure if it's intended.
Reports of it's ability to hold paint have been mixed.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Speaking of boiling, how boiling are we talking? Just starting to boil, rolling boil? Does anyone have a temperate range to shoot for?

Just barely boiling seems to work best, they reshape fast and you're less likely to burn yourself. :supaburn:

I've even had a little success running them under a hot faucet.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Now that most the orders have gone out, have they given any indication when regular sales will start? I'm regretting not buying a few of the add-ons.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

Reaper bros, I have a question; what kind of glue works best putting the multi-part models together?

CA superglue is recommended, I use Zap brand but I'm sure other brands would work just as well.

e: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48668-bones-preparation-glues-putties-mould-lines-etc/

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

moths posted:

The NOVA guys look a lot like IntSec officers from Paranoia. I don't know what they'd be doing on a deathtrap ship full of murderous aliens with no chance of survival and given an impossible mission and well yeah ok they make perfect sense in Space Hulk.

That's exactly how I'm painting mine, I've already done some of the IMEF guys up as Red Level Troubleshooters.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

JackMann posted:

Take a look through Reaper's boneyard. There are a lot of minis that have variant hands. Including, in fact, Mr. Hellborn himself, though I suspect the hand you aren't looking to replace.

Yeah, I once painted that guy in metal, he has a bunch of hand options.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Which mini is the guy with the bionic arm? I recognize all the others but not that one.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

JackMann posted:

Just eight bucks, and Fistface can still live.

I think we should start up a collection...

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A) People love big dragon minis, just from a collector standpoint.

Yeah, there are a surprisingly large number of people out there that will buy just about anything if it's got a dragon on it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I'm not too excited by it, because I already make my own terrain and dungeon tiles with foamcore, Hirst Arts and other stuff, but we'll see exactly what they've got in store eventually.

Terrain made out of bones plastic would be pretty nice though, lightweight, rugged, easy to paint and modify. If they made modular pieces that could be fit together to form larger features that would be a big hit.

One thing I would really like to see is conversion pieces in bones plastic. Reaper has a bunch of sets of weapons, helmets and other items in their metal line that I'd like to see available in plastic.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

JackMann posted:

So, Reaper's been looking at the data on the pledge manager, and some interesting stuff's come up. Despite the complaints, pretty much all of the dragons are in the choices for add-ons.

I'm a little surprised, given the number of dragons in KS 1, but I guess there is a method to their madness.

People love dragons.

Sometimes they love them a bit too much.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Imazul posted:

If we ignore Kaladrax which was just a stupidly good deal in Bones 1, I do not even own one dragon.

Assuming I want one, which of the ones offered right now is the best deals? I am getting the 50$ expansion so I get I will get the silver one in that.

Honestly I think the Pathfinder Dragon from Bones I kickstarter is the best choice for gaming. It looks great, is in a nice dynamic pose, and it's a reasonable size for moving around a game board.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I really wish I had gotten on the paints in Bones I, once I got my shipment and dug out all my GW paints I found that most of them were dried out and I ended up buying a full set of Reaper Paints at retail prices. That said I really like the Reaper HD paints.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

JackMann posted:

Some of the following (from a fellow's wishlist) are going to be in future stretch goals:
1. Female monsters (orcs, ogres, goblins, bugbears, gnolls...)
2. town guards, thieves, thugs, brigands, Anhurians
3. clear transparent air elementals
4. the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse + the Harbinger
5. Umber Hulk
6. Shambling Mound
7. Classic Bathalians
8. Urban zombies (nurses, cops, soldiers, construction workers, suits, chef, etc)

We've seen the Anhurians, so it'll be interesting what other ones are planned.

No mention of more Sci-Fi minis? That's a shame.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Well, those that were oohing and aahing about the sharkman, you got him.

They've also revealed expansion #3, which is pretty slim pickings count-wise, but is some nice big scenery. I doubt many will be interested in it until it grows significantly. Except then they went and put a god drat tardis on it, so of course there will be a contingent of buyers for that alone.

e: Sgt Forscale :3:

I wonder how much that shipping container will be by itself. People pay a pretty penny for AT-43 shipping containers to use in terrain.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Even better

Sir Forscale and Sgt Forscale, along with a single terrain covered display plinth where they can be locked in noble combat for eternity

But only if they're both out of scale.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Giant slug thing is now an add-on.

Next up is the purple things in expansion 2, in another $111k.

Then, another $113k after that, this is added to expansion 3:

The saucer has no details and the alien dudes are pretty vanilla and boring too.

I'm now certain I don't want expansion 3: there's only one more thing to add, and it won't be worth $50 on its own.

Yeah i was pretty excited for a sci-fi themed set but now, not so much. Hopefully I can buy the shipping container and tardis by themselves later.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Ok, I wasn't hot on expansion #2 but that demon minotaur is sexay. I hope they let us buy individual minis from the expansions.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I on the other hand see a few terrain pieces I'd love to have by themselves but they insist on putting them with minis I will never use, and I could get the terrain cheaper as resin.

Yeah i got some armorcast jersey barriers cheap years ago. And dragons teeth are trivial to make yourself. Expansion #3 is officially dead to me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M9Qv9bm-MM

Slow motion pie toss.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Are you a wizard?

How does this work?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Could you build the transmitter into a full size battlemap so that the whole battlemap would light up the LEDs where ever they were placed?

EDIT: Saw your answer in the miniatures thread. YOU ARE A WIZARD.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

To be a little more specific, I'm wondering about highlights and OSL-type stuff whilst retaining at least some of the translucency.

I've done a little bit of experimenting. I don't think it's possible to make highlights and retain transparency, only shadows. It seems that anything lighter than the base material is going to have to be opaque to be seen.

EDIT: Top of the page images.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The skeleton comes with the gravestone hammer and nothing else.
I don't think any of the bones come with optional parts, part of keeping the cost down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Bones seem to take to superglue pretty well so pinning and glueing should be fine to keep it attached, the only worry I would have is if the sword wasn't resting on the base the weight might cause the mini to tip over.

• Locked thread