Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pierzak posted:

Well, they can just email Reaper and ask them not to put anything non-fantasy in there. And pay extra for individual packing :v:

Seriously, what the gently caress? You're getting an awesome deal, it's not like you can't sell them on Ebay or something.

Wheras I looked at the cowboys and machinegun chicks and armored security troopers and thought "A skirmish game set in the Firefly Universe is coming with my ridiculously inexpensive minis. Score."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Red_Mage posted:

It seems a bit of an abitrary distinction to me as well, but having more sophie swap type things would've been neat. Seriously, when they offered that swap out Sophie option my respect for them just skyrocketed.

I would be interested in knowing just how many people made the Sophie's Choice to swap her out for more bones. Anecdotaly very few on the interwebs and no one I know in meatspace kept her.

It was a no brainer for me to take the credit, trading up for Cthulhu and some deep ones, iA! iA!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Red_Mage posted:

The funny thing is, that entitlement would make sense in a lot of contexts, just not this one. People who didn't have any modifications are getting their pledges first, because they can practically Drop-Ship them. They just toss the label on the box and send it, no shuffling required. Someone with an extremely complex order is going to take more time, because they actually have to move some things around, make sure its correct.

I think people like the guy in the linked post would be happier if they literally just sat on their hands with the pre-boxed, ready to go Vampire orders of the filthy poors until after the rest of the stuff arrived for the larger orders and was ready to ship out. For no reason other than to ship them out after the Big Important Spender Orders so they could feel like the plastic monster owner 1%, even if it didn't actually change how quickly they got their order.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 7, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yes, the guy in the thread all but comes out and says he would rather delay everyone's orders, including his, as long as he gets his first.

He also falls into a trap lots and lots of people who have never worked retail fall into, which is "The customer is always right so I don't care about stuff being literally impossible, I just want everything perfect and now and if you can't provide that you are a failure as a company"

I mean, my order probably falls somewhere between "just Vampire" and most complex order, so I won't be getting it for a while, but how churlish do you have to be to look a 47 cent miniature gift horse in the mouth?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ashcans posted:

It's an amazing haul for anyone that actually does tabletop RPGs though.

It basically converted some people I know who just don't "do" minis, because the deal went from "you'd be a fool not to" to "you'd have to be a certifiable insane crazy person eating his own dooks not to." So even the dudes who were happy enough with a D4 to represent the vampire and an old micro machine Darth Vader for the orc or whatever took notice.

It has forever skewed how I view pledge rewards. If you're trying to charge anything close to "retail" for your rewards, I laugh at your kickstarter. A deep, rumbling belly laugh. Reaper gave us fairly detailed miniatures for under fifty cents a pop.

Even at full retail, Bones aren't a bad value. It was pretty much the perfect storm for a good Kickstarter for the consumer. Established, trustworthy company wanting to expand an already proven product. Ridiculous value for the dollar. Stretch goal structure that encouraged constant evangelism and aforementioned crazy value making it actually a fairly easy sell. I know I posted at least once or twice on my facebook for the benefit of my nerdy friends and they went slack-jawed at the mountain of miniatures there hundred bucks would buy 'em and pledged.

I honestly don't think we'll ever see its like again.

And, yeah, I'm going to have to unrepentantly speed paint and dip a lot of this stuff, though there's some stand-outs I'ma take my time on. Backers basically bought themselves a DIY-Sysyphus kit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So, "dip" methods are probably something I should get familiar with.

I tried Minwax on some warmachine models, but wasn't super pleased with how they turned out. The Army Painter stuff looks retarded expensive, but does it provide a better result?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I think everyone in this thread agrees that you'd have to literally throw out like half your order before you started to worry about not getting your money's worth.

As long as you did Vampire, randomly throwing half in a volcano would STILL put you under a buck a mini.

The Bones Kickstarter is something we will tell stories to our grandchildren about.

So I got Cthluhu and the Mythos horrors and some of the erstatz deep ones. What would be a good way to combine these with the zombie survivor/shotgun badass/etc minis for some tabletop madness? I want to actually use the Cthulhu for something game-ey at some point rather than just have it sit on a shelf staring out, unused, unloved. Dead but dreaming.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AqeReSDy5yk

Video from reapercon showing a table full of Bones.

Interesting if you listen to them talking it apparently sounds like the reason Kaladrax is so hugely ginormous is because the factory in China misunderstood a request to make him 11' long as one to make him 11' TALL.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

The most wonderful cock-up. :allears:

Although I think you mean 11". Not that I don't want an 11' undead dragon, but...

Sorry, my inner size queen got away with me.

Seriously though, that thing is ginormous. I would have liked to see a side-by side of it with Big C, but it looks like it may be taller and is definitely more voluminous overall.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Reaper's been pretty transparent about the whole thing. Like any kid on Christmas I'd rather have my toys sooner than later, but given that they're not doing anything shady and are just dealing with a big logistical chore that will get sorted out as soon as they reasonably can, I'm still not feeling much outrage.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Commenters on the kickstarter are treating this like its loving Benghazi.

poo poo even Benghazi wasn't Benghazi, if you catch my meaning, but that's a derail for D&D.

I am getting anxious, I'll admit, but this is no where near Ouya or Admant's Far West levels of mismanagement. I donno, they're just communicating better and have been in the industry long enough to have the cachet where I believe they were basically a victim of their own success. But I don't have any reason to believe they will flat out fail to deliver.

It's not like I don't have several miniatures to pain in the interim.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Got mine today. It is SO CASH MONEY. Kaladrax is just ridiculously huge, I totally believe the story of a mangled communication about scaling between the computer mesh and the production facility.

The models definitely hold a lot of detail, but they are pretty flexible. I'm going to have to hot-water trick a few floppy daggers and leaning skeletons and stuff.

Big C is pretty cool, too, and goes hand-in-hand with his little Star Spawn buddy.

Already threw some drybrush on a couple of the translucents and it really makes them pop.

e: lesbian ghosts

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 1, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

You're all traitors if you don't start your vampire pledge with Mr. Bones.

Funny, I was thinking he'd be the perfect capstone.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

The credit card bill at the end of this.

Maybe a PDF reward like last time?

I'm in for 120 so far. Got in for wave 2. Using the translucents to make a gelatinous cube was genious, and I couldn't say no to those rad undead dudes. Gonna sell some of my big colleciton of D&D minis to help underwrite it. Not really sold on the $50 add on thing, particularly if there are multiples, and doubly so if it detracts from core set stretch goals. I'm confident they know what they're doing though and are going to give us a great value.

(I have painted exactly ONE of my Vampire Pledge Rewards, the giant fire elemental.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I think it mostly boils down to this fact: Bones II didn't make Reaper enough money, so Bones II inevitably isn't going to be as good a deal as Bones I was. That's going to turn off some folks, and I can't help but feel disappointed myself, too.

I thought the reason Bones 1 was such a good deal is they weren't really trying to turn a profit "selling" bones through kickstarter, and instead were trying to underwrite the molds and injection equipment, and firing off the initial batch as a reward to the people who chipped in to do that.

I would hate to think they're just using Kickstarter as a "pre-order store" now, much sense as it might make with the success of the first one to cash in on. Right now though it seems maybe on track to be roughly as good a value as the Vampire reward as long as they keep smattering in "purple" stretch goals.

And yes even as it is right this instant, it's a great value, but Bones has forever spoiled me with avaricious desire of fifty cent monsterman playtoys. It's their own fault for setting the bar so high!

Also nothing they can do about it but the possibility of someone ninja'ing my Wave 2 pledge makes me leery of adjusting it upwards.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Huh? No, if you go in and add money to your pledge, that does not even temporarily drop your pledge. I'm pretty sure it's totally safe.

Huh, Reaper themselves posted a comment indicating that you were (however briefly) pulled out of a reward teir when you adjusted your pledge and there was nothing they could do about it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I dropped my pledge to a buck and may add a couple things with Paypal in the after-action pledge manager deal. Or may not. What tore it for me was (1) real grown up financial considerations (2) I already have a box of unpainted Mk 1 bones and (3) I'm only REALLY excited about maybe 20% of those minis, so I can pick 'em up at retail.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 25, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So I didn't add it to my pledge because I really only wanted the one bit-- anyone know if the menhir (little standing stone) from the "thank you" set is available separately or at all retail yet? Or anyone got one they'd part out and take paypal for?

It would make a great Hordes Circle Orboros objective marker.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLC820wvnxM but the other way around

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Protip: Just token pledge a buck if you're on the fence or temporarily strapped. I did that and was able to add on as much poo poo as I wanted at kickstarter prices like in April of this year right before the closed things out by paying the difference.

I mean, obviously if everyone did that it would screw the whole thing up, so you know, kickstarter prisoner's dilemma.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

evenworse username posted:

I like the lizardmans but not enough to be in for 100 bucks.

I'm quite sure the lizard men won't be the end of it.

I am sad they probably won't ever do anything like bones 1 again where the core pledge ended up being something like 43 cents per mini.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They'll never top that mondo Cthulhu.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think they're too generous with letting you pledge a buck and keep your money and still buy it all by paying the difference when it's actually ready to ship. I'm sure doing that again because why not?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Welp I guess I'll have to get some of these at retail since I kept saying "Yep I'll put in my token dollar to reserve the pledge manager tomorrow" and ran out of tomorrows.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Did Reaper ever achieve their actual stated goal from the first of moving the plastic casting operation to Texas, or have they given up that pretense and now it's all just a free for all for cheap monstermans?

I mean, I don't care that much, I will buy cheap monstermans, but I am curious how much of that was just an ostensible reason to justify the crowdfunding aspect for that sweet KS monies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

With bones 2 which wrapped up in October of 2014, I pledged one USD and was able to complete it in May of this year adding whatever I wanted, pay the difference, and get my monsterman toys.

I assume this will be largely the same.

So I heard they're doing a prepaints KS? That might be worth looking at, particularly if they do it adequately (full basecoat, some detail/highlight, and a dip/wash). I mean let's be real most of us who pledge to this end up with bins of bare white plastic, at least with that they'll probably cost a bit more but actually be likely to see the table.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

Any suggestions for a good deathclaw stand-in in the bones line? Looking I don't see anything very close.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rpr77377.html
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/62112/latest/62112

Closest I could find, friend.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I waited too long to lock in my token dollar pledge, and cannot participate in any reindeer games. :smith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm really fighting not to tack on a graveyard and mythos expansion.

Edit:

Anyone got any tips on actually powering through and painting a huge pile of reaper bones btw? I asked in the mini painting thread and didn't get a huge amount of engagement. I figure I need to get the process down to less than 15 minutes a model to leave time for the larger pieces.

I did a big assembly line the night before a Frostgrave demo to a decent tabletop standard by priming the primary color their stuff was going to be, detailing, light drybrushing, and picking out flesh etc, and dipping in that Army Painter dip stuff. A lot of it was bones.

It's not going to be display quality but for a single night's work to complete three full warbands and a bunch of treasure tokens, plus some scenic bases, I'm pretty pleased:

More pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/4Thu8

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 27, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hubis posted:

I had the same problem and ended up solving it with the Army Painter matte varnish, fyi

Can second this. Army painter spray foes on smooth and un-tacky.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Was Dragons Don't Share Bones 2?

That was awesome. I still haven't done anything with the dragon or the mans, but that ruined tower has made a great Frostgrave centerpiece. I used melted flight stand pegs to make icicles on it. I'm down for some Bonesium buildings and terrain.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm too lazy to take proper care of an airbrush. Cleaning the whole thing out just to swap colors? Ugh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm pretty convinced the genesis of Frostgrave was a guy looking to.do something with his Bones.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am angry at ROW people in general for being different from me.

I am excited for fulfillment to be done so I can get in on the next one.

They should spin off into themed KSes. A sci fi one, a WWII one, etc.

I have to say though, for retail purchases at least where you can get comperable models those Wizkids prepaints that came out recently seem to give them a good run for the money. Haven't painted one yet but the wizard set I picked up had nice crisp looking detail and was made of a less rubbery plastic.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That sounds like a lot of work just send it to me and I'll get it sorted. I'll even pay your postage.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I will still buy the little dolls, here, in the US.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I mean that's a pretty easy fix, bonesium sure ain't mithril.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I will buy more dolls, probably. It sucks for people in the ROW that they have doll logistics problems, but hey that's what you get for being a foreigner.

Amusingly a lot of my hobby stuff comes from Quebec (my rubber larp swords) and the UK (my ww2 dolls) and india (larp armor and stuff) and I really don't encounter any problems the other way around.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 13, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Social media often gets a response. Blow up their twitter/fb instead of using this thread as an endless Yelp review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

that pig cart though

• Locked thread