Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Many many posts ago someone asked what the Demon on the right (picture below for reference) was supposed to be. At one time he was intended to be a venerable version of Orcus based on mythology; old, decrepit and skanky. Jason Wiebe initially sculpted him with smaller vestigial wings, but ReaperRon opted to have the wings re-made to larger more bat-like wings.

If anyone is interested, the miniature was initially planned for resin and I got to paint one of those. It has the original wings. I can post it if you'd like. It's a large image (3 different angles).

***edited to remove the worst punctuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Stephenls posted:

I would be interested in that, yeah. I've wondered what was up with that demon's wings since I first noticed they appeared to be cardboard cutouts outlined in scribbly pencil.

Here you go! Orcus with original wings. It took me about 2 or 3 aborted color schemes to arrive on this one. No worries if the paint job is not your cup of tea.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

JackMann posted:

Awesome!

Hey, mind if I post that on the Reaper boards (with attribution, of course)? Folks'd be keen to see what the mini looks like, I'm sure.

Very glad you like it!

I need to double check if it's cool to post it there.

I've PM'd you and will follow-up again via PM as soon as I get an answer (from my Reaper contact). I want to make sure I'm not creating problems on the official forum with the original wings. Pretty much why I haven't chopped the image back up and posted it to the gallery there yet.

Likely all it will need is a disclaimer like "The wings will be different in the production version", but better safe than sorry in their backyard.

**edit: double check done; is all good. Thanks!

MisterG fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 23, 2013

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

quote:

Jesus christ.

Any recommendations for painting tutorials? My minis look like kiddie scribbles compared to this.

Bad Munki has it covered. The Megapaint thread appears to be a great thread. I've only recently delved into the Megapaint thread so I'm not an authority on it. I've seen the gamut of paint jobs it has & the advice I've seen so far has been good.

My other top of the list recommendation is the Reaper forum. Several of the folks that paint for Reaper are regulars there AND the Reaper fan base ranges from beginner to professional, so there will always be someone that can help you at whatever your current skill level is.

I'd need more information to speak specifically to the skill level you want to get to. Feel free to PM me and/or perhaps it's time to go to the Megapaint thread?

Good advice I've received over the years:
  • Use the right tools for the job.
  • You will always keep improving if you keep applying yourself.
  • Good painters aren't always good teachers; these are two distinct and separate skills.
  • There are multiple ways to get to the place you are trying to go.
  • If you aren't cheating, you aren't doing it right.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Before I start, please understand that I'm not attempting to justify anything, just sharing what I'm aware of:

To my knowledge; several things contribute to Reaper including half-dressed and/or nude models in their line-up. From what I can tell it is an effort to accommodate all of their customers / fans on some level while continuing to maximize sales.

Here and there I've gotten a glimpse into the process and it boils down to a little bit of science (sales figures), a little bit of public opinion (they listen to feedback) and a little bit of an internal gut check (internal to Reaper). What outweighs what I couldn't say.

For example, the succubus pictured below started without the loincloth but was revised before going on sale:

Regarding the 72mm Fantasy Sophie: The original Urban Legend figure wasn't for sale. It was an advanced dolly that got sent to the sculptor for further additions. However, a picture or two got out and Reaper got tons of requests for it.... the rest is history. It was a fairly big seller. For a while, the Urban Legend figures really got going. There was even a gag-gift male Urban Legend blister pack, but... it didn't really have a nude male figure and I don't remember anyone actually saying they wanted to purchase it. It stayed a gag gift (It was/is Magnus the vampire hunter wrapped in opaque blue plastic in a blister that is labelled "Urban Legend Magnus" or something like that.

From what I've heard, within Reaper's lines, the female form is simply more popular than the male form.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not a bad sculpt but I think if I wanted a giant demon spider I'd just spend the extra $25 and get an araknarok.

I've got two araknaroks and I still want this one. I'm almost positive, but still doubting my memory since it's been a year since I last saw the Reaper spider. I *believe* Reaper's has a MUCH wider span than the araknarok. Also, I think the body of araknarok is larger.

We'll know soon enough I suppose.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Time for everyone to post their bones collections, especially the shelves of shame so we can encourage each other to get moving on the painting & completion of the models. Ultimately I need to paint my stuff up to table top so I can run or participate in some gaming again... If 100 people post their shelves of shame I might, just might, post a few pictures of my closet of shame.... we'll see.

Shelf of shame = unpainted miniatures that need *something* to get done. It could be motivation, it could be inspiration of a color scheme that doesn't make the space marine look like a mariachi, you name it; it's not done and it's way past time for it to be painted.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Peas and Rice posted:

Yeah, I meant the finalizer, where I can pay the difference for the extra stuff I want to add now that the KS is over and I've been paid again.

If like the last Kickstarter they did; We will be able to pay extra at the same time we are able to click the finalize button.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What have been people's experiences with hot water bending Bones figures? My Colossal Skeleton is a bit too laid back for its own good.

It's worked fairly well for me. Having the cold water for setting it is an integral part of the process.

A little bit of planning pays off for the larger pieces. In other words, don't give yourself too much to fix at a time; you've only got two hands and can only change so much in one go before it starts setting on it's own.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I live in Australia though so most of those products are like $30+, and I expect my normal spray won't dry properly, as you mentioned.

What about Tamiya Fine Surface Primer? That might actually be similar in price to what it costs in the U.S. and while it's a *little* bit pricey It's the next best thing to priming by hand with an airbrush. Really; if you find that none of the aerosols float your boat, airbrush priming is fantastic.

If you do end up trying Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, remember that it needs a very special finesse. Do the first coat light and within 6-8" and then dust with a coat from 8-12". The first "close" coat can create a sheen that repels paint. Yeah, I know; primer repelling paint? No problem, the second dusting gives it the super tooth while still looking VERY smooth.

Why the close 1st coat? Less paint waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Lethemonster posted:

I'm in the process of prepping and painting SpaceInvader's Kaladrax reborn model, but his back leg (Kaladrax, not SpaceInvader) is sticking out like he's peeing on some adventurers. It's easy enough to reset, but I can't find any good pictures of what position to put it in. Even in the Reaper pictures he has hover leg. Anyone been able to reset it in a decent position?

If not I can get build a piece of ruins to rest his little leg on that you can take on and off the base, but if I can just find a way to bend it that would be easier.

I guess I could have it so Kaladrax is scratching his ear like a dog...

This was a concept art to render issue. The intent was for Kaladrax to be crouching and slinking his leg forward, but the 2D art translation into 3D ended up with the "lifting the leg to pee" pose.

I've heard a few folks talk about modeling rocks up to it so it looks like a leg gripping and pushing off from a rock formation.

• Locked thread