Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The average pledge right now is $112.

To compare, KS1 had 17,744 backers with a total pledge of $3,429,235, for an average of $193.26 per person.
KS2 had 14,964 backers with a total pledge of $3,169,610, for an average of $211.81 per person.

This kickstarter's rewards are going to be more like KS2's with the expansions, though themed to attract more people. So if we get KS2's $211 per person, with the current number of backers (9,235) we'll be just shy of 2mil at the end.

More people will definitely hop on later, so while I don't think this will hit the totals of the previous two, it won't be a flop. Reaper's already said they plan on getting 150 minis into the core by the time this is over, so more people will finally stop sitting on the fence and hop in eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

lilljonas posted:

So they finally made an oriental dragon? Guess I'm in on this for the third time.

Yeah it's not an oriental dragon. It's a behir as mentioned. See how many legs that thing has? It's like a non-flying centipede dragon.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Apparently the brain in a jar is going to be like five pieces, so you can have whatever-in-a-jar.

Also, I think they're editing or have already edited the pic with the succubus, a black bar over her nips. Welp.

I don't like chainmail bikinis and overly sexualized minis... but the whole point of a succubus is to be overly sexualized. They're sex-demons. It's what they do.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

ijyt posted:

Oh man everything in the stoneskull expansion, bar the succubus, looks awesome.

I'm assuming these will be available separately later at higher individual prices, or has some stuff been KS exclusive?

They haven't done any KS exclusives except for the Mr. Bones mascot figure each time I think.

They'll hit the stores months after the KS's ship, so you'll have awhile to wait. And yes, the Kickstarter prices are half to a third of retail usually. Even cheaper in the core set.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

Mr. Bones is not a Kickstarter exclusive. The bag sculpt hasn't been released yet, but he's planned to go out in the next few months with the rest of the remaining Bones 2 figures. The only exclusive was the Kickstarter Sophie from the first KS, which was a pewter model. It doesn't make financial sense to do limited edition figures in Bones.

Ahh, didn't realize. I know it's not financially sound, but I figured they left him as a kickstarter exclusive for some reason. Also, despite getting the KS1, I got every model ordered delivered EXCEPT for that Mr. Bones.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

Those of you who wanted lizardfolk can now order the two new ones. Five bucks gets you two each for a total of four.

4 creepy crawlies for $3 too. I need some centipedes, those things are fun in 2e.

Also, check the 28th update for conspiracy nuts. Shub-Niggurath was incorrectly marked as $10 and has been bumped up to $15. WHY IS REAPER CONSPIRING AGAINST US?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

Well, Bones 2 funded October 2013, and then fulfilled February 2015. About a month after that, they started releasing waves of miniatures into retail. They've got between a third and half of them out now.

I would expect it to go the same way for this one. The length of fulfillment will be determined by a number of factors, many of which are outside of Reaper's control (did the molds produce good miniatures? did the ship get on the water in time? did the Chinese factory understand their request properly?) Once they have the miniatures shipped, expect a month and then they'll be released to retail for individual sale.

Also there was a dock workers strike at the time here in America that delayed things further.

Hoping the third expansion won't be scifi, but it probably will be. They have a 4th one planned in case things explode, and Reaper Bryan said they have goals out to $5.16mil planned, though they have no real hope of getting that far.

Best to be prepared though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

senrath posted:

I need that camel.

That 3rd bit of the expansion looks amazing.

It's funny, because in the comments section earlier today I said that we really need a mountain man that has too poor a grasp of English to properly convey the sight of a UFO, which slowly drives him mad.

And lookee there. A mountain man.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

It shot up 25 thousand in less than an hour after the latest update.

I guess a lot of people want that weird dragon thing.

"That weird dragon thing" is all people have been talking about since the start of this really. So yes, it was eagerly awaited for.

Also, graveyard expansion started. I wish it had no terrain, I'd just rather use Hirst Arts and such. I just want minis from Reaper. I planned on getting an expansion, but there's none I really want. Of the three, the first has the most I'd use... Unless this graveyard thing really expands out into some good stuff.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

I just saw the picture of Tiamat next to last year's Dragons Don't Share. I have Dragons Don't Share and I can say for certain that that Tiamat is absurd.

The pic in question.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress, that cemetery golem looks amazing

Yeah, I just don't want to spend $50 to get him.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Air elementals as a $10 add-on just revealed, as well as free pdf's of some printable tiles from some other company for free.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The Dregs posted:

I pledged a whole buck. I figured I would get an email about the pledge manager so I could pick out stuff later, but I never did. I got an email saying that my dollar was taken. How do i get to the pledge manager?

...you got ~45 update emails from them, all saying this. Unless you have the default 'email updates to me' turned off.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Otisburg posted:

Did Reaper ever achieve their actual stated goal from the first of moving the plastic casting operation to Texas, or have they given up that pretense and now it's all just a free for all for cheap monstermans?

I mean, I don't care that much, I will buy cheap monstermans, but I am curious how much of that was just an ostensible reason to justify the crowdfunding aspect for that sweet KS monies.

The first one paid for a machine to make bones figures. I think they call it Thomas or something because it looks like a train.

These kickstarters are basically to fund the creation of the molds themselves. They're very expensive to make, so they're having us foot the bill for the creation of those molds, paying us in subsidized monstermans. Instead of tooling a few dozen molds a year, they can do a couple hundred at once thanks to the kickstarter funds. Though, since there's so much to make for the rewards, their single machine has no way in hell of making them all, so the kickstarter figures are all made in China.

They do make some stuff in Texas, supposedly, but who really knows.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

Pretty much what Ravendas said. Bringing manufacturing over was never listed as one of their primary goals. It was just a "Hey, we've got enough extra money to start this process." Actually getting manufacturing moved over is something that's going to take at least another five or ten years and involves a lot of pretty big issues that need to be solved. The fact that injection molding machines are expensive is just one. Another is that it takes time to learn to use these machines, though they're getting more proficient at it. They also have almost all of their molds over in China right now. Also, a minor issue, but all of the molds have "Made in China" impressions. They're figuring out exactly how best to fix that when they begin making them in the US.

Right now, they make the bases in their own factory. I believe they intend to make the weapon sprues with Thomas as well. Hopefully they can keep moving forward and eventually have sufficient in-house production for Bones, but it's going to be a good long while yet.

Yep. They're doing the simple stuff in-house while they get things figured out.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

I don't think anyone's found a good solution. You can try stripping it and hoping it'll fix it, but I think it pretty much ruins the mini.

RIP.

Wash them with soap, water and a toothbrush to get the mold release off of them. Then, paint should just stick right to it. The 'new' thing is to just put watered down Reaper Brown Liner over the entire things as a base coat that makes the details pop out. For whatever reason, Brown Liner sticks really, really well to the bones, and acts as a good primer.

Here's my first use of it, after hearing about it in the Kickstarter comments section:

Watered down a bit, it acts a bit like a wash, so it's already pre-shadowed if you paint thinly over it!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Foolster41 posted:

Man, this is tempting. I notice the goals say $100, but the calculator says $150. has the price gone up for late comers? I'm assuming for $150 still is a good price per figure. How many is there? I count 111, plus scene pieces and weapons. What would the ballpark value of this set be? It seems like probably well over $150.

If you didn't back while the kickstarter was live, then you're paying the increased amount, which is still less than retail.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

They really got the look of the art down on that oni. I'm loving it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Those hobgobs look nice, which is great because I already ordered three sets so I can have a dozen to use.

Still mad about the valkyrie.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Figures update! Those skeletal demihumans are awesome. I love the adventurer skeletons from the 2nd ks, so these are getting painted first when they arrive.

I also ordered that long dragon as my first 'large' dragon ever, it should work nicely. Though, I run 2e, and their dragons are hundreds of feet long, which don't work for the 5'=1" scale really, so I'll just chop off a final digit from their length to make them sane...

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

I got Not-Tiamat as my first bones dragon, because I am an insane person.

I like it, it's amazing, but I'll both never use it in a game, and never paint it, so it's a $60 thing that would take a huge amount of shelf space, and collect dust.

That $60 could get a ton of other addon minis instead (which I did).

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

I have the DETOLF and KLINGSBO
The DETOLF is the king of value but its not very sturdy and thats worrying in a glass item.
Get the KLINGSBO instead its much nicer and doesnt have such a huge cap between shelves leading to more usable shelf space
It costs more but its a huge step up in quality

Having never heard of either of these, I instantly knew it was Ikea. I didn't realize I needed a glass cabinet. GREAT.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Zark the Damned posted:

Talking of painting Bones, one down, hundreds to go (with Bones 3 hopefully turning up soonish too!)

Turning up soon? Latest update basically says this next shipment won't be in their hands until January, and then they will have... 80% of their product!

My bet's on March delivery. They've both said there will be a Bones4 in the spring, and it won't start until everyone has their Bones3 stuff.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Base Emitter posted:

At some point they should add each of the core stretch goals as separate add-ons, once they have unlocked enough of them. They don't break up add-ons or expansions into smaller add-ons, though. So, you'll probably be able to buy the set of minitaurs, but not the dino troopers by themselves without buying the whole Chronoscope expansion.

Yep, they will be breaking up the core set into the individual unlocks to purchase on their own later on.

The expansions have never been broken up though, they're all or nothing.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

A reaper guy just said that is the base for something big, but not the biggest thing in this project.

Edit: Are those foothold/claw indents I see in the closest stone bit, and the back middle one?

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 6, 2017

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ashcans posted:

Once you accept that hoarding is a legit use for miniatures, all doors open to you.

I am not really sold on boobs on a snakeperson, but I think the group is cool enough anyway.

Yuan-ti are mammals (humans) that are corrupted by snakegod worship or somesuch and partially turned into snakepeople.

Or somesuch.

They're mammalian based, so titties on a snake is a-ok.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I have zero interest in those little bighead heroes.

Same. Zero use or interest for chibis.

The only optional thing I even want right now are the hill giants, and that's just because my low-ish level AD&D campaigns usually feature a few roaming in some hills to make an extra dangerous area to travel in. Never really had a suitable model for them.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

SO there's a few of these models I want, but I definitely don't need the whole core set. Should I just drop a buck on the KS and then add what I want in fulfillment?

Put in what you think you'll spend, just to help unlock things. If you think you want $50 of stuff, put in $50 on the kickstarter. You can always add more later if you want more. The pledge manager will probably be open for nearly a year post-kickstarter.

If everyone just put in a buck to add more later, this wouldn't go anywhere.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ashcans posted:

That pig pumpkin cart had better be available on its own, I desperately need it to go with the Dwarf & Pig from the last one.

Everything in the core except for the bonus 24 gobs will be available for purchase on its own. They just don't split them out until later in the campaign. You can buy nothing but pigcarts if you want.

Also, I think they said the pig and cart are two pieces, so you can hook up whatever you want to the cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Ashcans posted:

Glad they added the second expansion, although I am not sure its what I want. I would be pretty happy with everything in it, but it averages out about the same as Chronoscope (which is half 'gently caress yea' and half 'eh'). I guess I'll see what else lands in the new expansion.

If it's like previous ks's it's expansion 2 of 3.

I usually back one expansion, just waiting to see which one it is. Definitely not the chronoscope one...

• Locked thread