Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

And if you prime white and use multiple colors of wash you can get some pretty amazing results for very little work.
Yup. The IG in the background are white base with GW washes only - no "real" paints.

I had some better photos - I'll see if I can find them.

Of course, it takes a lot of washes to get a good color - I think a ten-man squad used up at least two bottles of Badab Black alone.

Washes are a godsend - you can literally slap on a basecoat, slather on a wash, and have a nice looking tabletop-quality model. And you don't have to deal with flailing wood stain all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Looks alright to me - I think the lighting and background isn't helping anything though. Dark on dark doesn't always work out too well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Me too (unless you meant me in the first place). Some of my old GW Citadel paints that I bought between 1989 and 1991 got permanently separated, but most of them are still fine and I'm still using them.
Hell, yes. The other day, I needed an off-black and I opened a pot of Salamander Black from the Space Marine paint set - you know, this set:

From twenty-four loving years ago...

After a good shake, it was good as the day I purchased the set. Awesome. I really wish GW would return to those pots - paint lasts forever and there it that convenient lip in the lid for quick touchups. Every bottle since then has sucked rear end.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Those look a lot like the pots P3 uses.
If they aren't, they are very similar in design. The seal on them is drat near perfect - the only time you might have issues is if you get paint in the lid rim. Once it starts to dry there, the lid doesn't seat correctly. But it was an easy fix - just get your Xacto blade and pop the dry paint ring out and you're good.

I don't know what GW has against these pots though - they should just swallow their pride and return to them. I understand that branding purposes require you to have a distinctive design, but if your designs consistently fail to work properly, maybe it's time to return to the tried and true design that actually works.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's almost as if GW has a vested interest in people needing to buy new paint every few months whether or not they use it all.
There's that too. I know GW is dickish, but intentionally designing paint jars that cause paint to dry out after a few months? That seems a little too dickish, even for them...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

OK, so I'm a horrible packrat. Don't judge me!
Nah - they're actually well-made boxes. I've got all of the sets as well, except for that "Bargain Set" - what is that?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

xiw posted:

I just got mine, 10 days shipping to NZ is pretty sweet! What's the story with figure cases - am I supposed to get foam with it? I haven't been paying much attention to the updates and so on.
I sure hope so - I ordered mine under the assumption that I was going to get a case with foam...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

CaptainPete posted:

I bet plenty of people are going to rip them off by reporting problems that don't exist. I've done that with GW, but they kind of deserve it. And, I felt guilty.
:argh:And you broke it for the rest of us who had a legitimate complaint and could look forward to an entire new box or blister.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Reaper has sent out Vampire only pledges at this point, correct? I only added a couple of additional models, but I assume that's the delay on my measly $170 order...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

(Also how did they miss the KS in the first place?)
This is the thing that gets me... But I'm assuming it is less "I missed it" and more "I passed on it at the time, and now I am severely regretting not getting in on the deal when I had the chance." Kind of a "non-buyers remorse."

This is similar to the way I feel after pulling out of the original Zombicide KS and seeing the prices the stretch goal figures go for on Ebay. :bang:

homullus posted:

I missed a lot of KS initially because while I'd heard of it through the Wasteland and Double Fine ones, I didn't really even think of being part of these things myself. There is a process you have to go through to arrive at being ok with putting money down on something that may never exist.
True, but there is a much smaller concern when you're dealing with an established company such as Reaper.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They said that they're waiting on one more container, but it should be here within the week. Yay!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Just got a shipping confirmation for mine:
Figure Case x1
Frost Giants x1
Fire Giants x1
Red Dragon x1
Jabberwock x1
C'thulhu x1
vampire x1

Yay! Most likely, it will come on Friday when I'm not home, and my wife will go berserk when she sees a huge box full of plastic mans on our doorstep.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

sansuki posted:

Just got mine! Kaldrax gets his own box the size of the vampire box! Also, sitting in the back of a UPS truck in 100+ degree weather turns Bones into soft rubber.These guys will need to chill out to regain their composure
Ugh. This was a concern of mine - I hope I don't get a plastic cube on Monday...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Sat down last night to catalog everything and make sure my order wasn't missing any items - it took four hours and I'm still not done. It would have been nice if Reaper had somehow marked the little figure baggies with their stock numbers or something...

Good luck to you guys with multiple Vampire boxes. :smithicide:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Go to the Reaper KS page, take the Vampire mini picture list, open Photoshop (or equivalent), pick up a mini, find it on the list, cross it off by X-ing through its picture. It worked for me.
That's essentially what I'm doing, but it takes a long time because some of the models aren't quite the same. I'm also marking the baggies for easy reference, in case I decide not to keep some of them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
After going through and counting everything, I think I have buyer's remorse. There is so much here that I will never, ever use...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

So sell the lot of it and make $100.

Edit: Personally I'm sort of the same way; I got caught up in the hype and now have loads of minis I have no immediate use for. That said, between the paint, the figure case and the awesome Cthulhu model I can't get upset. I will also be using the 'not space marines' with my copy of space hulk that I bought sans-minis and lots of the fantsy figures will become Mordheim gangs. If nothing else use the minis as practice pieces that you can go hog wild on with new techniques and color pallets that you wouldn't risk on more expensive or beloved minis.
Oh, I'm not upset, it's just that while I like some of the models (the not-Beholder is awesome) many of them don't do anything for me. I'd part out what I don't want, but it doesn't look like I'd get much of a return, judging by the stuff on Ebay. I'll most likely wind up keeping it all.

I think my remorse comes from the fact that I can't really do anything with them - I don't play RPGs and I have minis for the tabletop games I do play (and they are my painting priority.) Oh well, lesson learned - getting a lot of stuff does not equate to true happiness. :emo:

Do we have a trade/sale thread for Bones at all?

EDIT: Is there supposed to be a body on the altar in the Dungeon Dressing set? My bag was opened, so I don't know if I was missing something, or if they did an alternate bare altar top.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 3, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

The original metal sculpt had a naked lady victim on the altar but it is removed on the Bones version. Perhaps because without the victim the altar is far more useful for actual gaming with a clear top you can put anything you want on, to suit your encounter scenario.

There are a handful of other figures that differ in small ways from the original sculpts too.
Yeah, I did notice that some of the sculpts had been changed - I'm assuming this was done for mold purposes. As for the altar, I wasn't too concerned about losing a nekkid lady, I was just curious if this was a design change or a missing part.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
My Mr. Bones was just in the box like everything else.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

lilljonas posted:

I am planning to do a homebrew version of Warhammer Quest. With a gazillion different encounters.
That's what I was going to do. Then I got a copy of WH Quest...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

evenworse username posted:

The figure case seems like it will be pretty jazzy for small things.
Yeah - I was hoping that it would be able to fit a Blood Bowl board so I could have a place for my teams and BB stuff. Alas, no luck there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It's amazing - $300K took them almost half of their KS run for the first Bones. They made that in under an hour this time.

EDIT: Why is that guy's armor made from castles?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Pledge for both, remove the one you don't want at the end of the KS?

How do you pledge for more than one level?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They need to make it translucent with a skeleton, some armor, and coins floating in there. Then I'd pay $10.

EDIT: Ok, that's cool then.

DOUBLE EDIT: It had better scale to 10' by 10'...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 1, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Paolomania posted:

With the raging success of the Bones line, how long do you think it will be before the other big mini manufacturers throw their hat in the budget-conscious-plastic-minis ring?
Never? GW, Wyrd, and Privateer are doing fine with the plastics they have now. If they did cheapo plastics, they couldn't retain their profit margins.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

quote:

CUBE IS TRANSLUCENT AND HOLLOW. LIKE MY WALLET.
Sigh. So true...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Fffuuuuuu- the missus is unrelenting. I will spend some time wheedling this month. I really actually don't need these, but waaaaaaant.
You know what works great? Selling old stuff you don't ever use. If it's been on the shelf for a year and you haven't even looked at it in that time, sell it. Wife can't argue with that logic.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Ahahaha, I take it you're not married?
Yeah, I'm married - I can't imagine your wife would be pissed if you sold some of your stuff to finance other things. No harm, no foul, right? It's not like you're raiding the kid's college fund for plastic mans.

Sefer posted:

Pretty sure you have to pledge to get updates, just jump in at $1 and cancel before it ends if you're not going to get any models.
Yeah, you have to pledge at least $1 to get the updates. No biggie though - they've been funded, so if you decide to jump ship, you can.

You know, looking at Core Set 2, I'm wondering if this is Reaper's way of seeing if funding their less popular model lines is feasible. None of those models (aside from dragon turtle) is particularly appealing, so they may just be doing some market research.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

I still feel weird about the expansion, especially since I'd buy a ton of those zombies for Deadzone

Just remember that they will still be available for considerably less than $50 once the KS is over.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Clear cube fits over base. I don't know if it is worth $10, but I am definitely getting one...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Looks like a slightly more dynamic warhammer Fantasy dragon.
I was thinking the same thing - a Wood Elf dragon or Orc Wyvern. $50 cheaper, of course...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baby Sathanas posted:

Yeah I'll be honest, I am really not excited about much of anything in this Kickstarter. Just the odd model here and there. I'd rather pay full price for them. I think I'm going to pull out. :smith: I was bouncing like an excited toddler in the first few days too.
Yeah, me too. I jumped ship the other day. I don't know if it is too soon after the previous one, or the novelty of having hundreds of minis I'll never paint has worn off, but the whole thing seems boring to me this time around. Maybe it's because they blew the cool model load on the previous Bones?

• Locked thread