Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yes, that's correct. But you can still pledge $1 now to get on the train, and then if we are just shy of the goal you want near closing, up your bid. I don't think that 'is this going to fund high enough' is really much of a concern on this though. Didn't they end up throwing in a couple things that we didn't quite hit on the last one, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ok Reaper, you now have my full attention.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I'm psyched that there's a female blacksmith! As someone who has done some blacksmithing before, however, it instantly irritated me that (as usual) that lady seems like she's about to seriously ruin that sword for some drat reason. (Blacksmiths are never depicted working on a hot piece of steel that isn't anything yet: it's always a perfect, finished item they're about to pound the poo poo out of with a big loving hammer.)

She's just marketing. Adventurers are dumb, if they see someone hammering on a lump of metal they'll just assume the person makes horseshoes or something, so whenever there are buyers in town she has to whip out a sword and lay it on the anvil so when they walk by she can say 'Ah, just finished this, my finest work to date' instead of the truth, which is that she churned out a dozen of those as an apprentice and would like to sell them to a rube who's going to die in a hole for too much money.

quote:

That pig looks so cheerful :ohdear: Maybe the nice man is actually just going to cut up some turnips for him. Yes, I think that's what's happening.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Townspeople are the sort of thing I love Reaper for, because there aren't a lot of people who make 'random dude' miniatures for you to use. It's also nice to get them in Bones because I feel kind of dumb shelling out money for 'Fat Guy with Beer' models instead of heroes and monsters. So getting some nice interesting guys you can use to make your game (or diorama!) a little more homey is pretty great!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Maybe its a giant airborne jellyfish! I mean, it's not, but I would really like a model of a sky-man-o-war, so here's hoping.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's be honest, I don't think that people have a plan for 95% of their Bones haul. It's just marginally easier to convince yourself you'll find uses for $30 worth of completely random stuff compared to a single enormous cannon.

Also, you can obviously use that cannon as the centerpiece of the RPG villains master plan to shoot the moon out of the sky.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Incidentally, if you want to complete your Bones experience, you should know that you can buy Sir Forscale, who is already in Bonesium!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ravendas posted:

The pic in question.

I appreciate how this just completely overwhelms their photobooth and they're just like 'welp, good as we can do'.

Also that thing is enormous, I can't imagine how you would ever actually use it. But I definitely want to see one painted up by Bachtere.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Man, that Sophie sketch is shockingly not trashy, and seems like the only iteration of the model that I would consider owning.

I am currently only in this for a buck, and I am trying to work out how much I can eventually buy in for. After admitting to myself that I really do not need a hundred more guys to not paint, I think that I should be trying to focus on getting some good terrain out of this that I can use for pretty much all the games I don't play.

Looks like Graveyard Expansion + Mythic Circle is the way to go for that? It would give me a couple big terrain pieces (crypt, stonehenge) plus an array of fences and smaller pieces to use to make area terrain/etc for games. Also I get a sweetass golem and some random spooky dudes to not paint.

I will probably end up throwing in at least one small pack of guys because it's hard to resist not to. Probably the Townsfolk or one of the Pathfinder groups.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I wish that you could skim out part of the expansions, because I would like the altar and the cultists from the start of Mythos, but don't really want to spend the money all the expansion. Even though it is full of rad Lovecraftian poo poo. I'm trying to keep my costs down!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea I understand why, and there are lots of things where I would like a single miniature out of a group where I am just going to pretend I bought it and when I think about actually painting it they'll be available to buy retail. It's just that big chunk that is cool and tempting and would be more of a pain to grab later.

thespaceinvader posted:

You could probably agree to some sort of trade with someone else. Or buy the whole thing and sell what you don't want on ebay. E: in fact, posting your general location might prompt someone into saying they're willing to help you out =)

More likely to buy it all and ebay, otherwise I have to hope that everyone stays in a deal for over a year. It would suck if someone agreed to help me out and then got permabanned or just wandered off in the next year. I live in Boston though, if anyone is interested!

I suppose when people start posting about getting their stuff I can always hassle them to sell it to me. :v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am trying to focus on terrain this time around, so I am definitely picking up the Graveyard set and the Mythic Circle. I am probably going to end up up with the Mythos set as well though, plus a couple random adds. It's so easy to feel like grabbing $6 and $12 options like popcorn.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

krushgroove posted:

I'm in on Wave 1 so I have the cheaper model costs.
Are there cheaper prices for people in earlier waves? :confused:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh that makes sense. I was momentarily saddened that in addition to waiting until next Christmas for my stuff, I'd also be paying a higher rate. :v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yes, wash them with soap and water. This is to remove anything leftover from the casting process that might interfere with painting. Paint washes are applied at the end of the process, mostly.

People have had bad experiences with spray-primers, so check which one you are using and ideally test it before you do something you care about.

I just use a gesso for priming.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I think that it stays open until June? They said they would keep it open until several months before fulfillment for people to add things they wanted, and I don't think I have seen any updates about it closing earlier. I imagine we will get a rash of reminder emails to encourage people to add in more before they close it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am trying to really finalize my pledge for Bones (ie, stop giving reaper more money). I decided that I need a dragon because in all my years of fantasy miniature addiction I have never actually gotten one, and this seems a pretty good chance. So what's the best one in the current offering?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, I am not a big fan of Viridius and Diabolus because there seems to be something off with their overall anatomy. They are not really terrible, just not as good as the others.

I think I am going to end up choosing betwee Kypthrixis and Lavarath (the one with the rider) but I dunno, maybe I just need multiple dragons!

Bad Munki posted:

Tiamat

It's all the dragons

ALL OF THEM

You make a good point, but I should have specified that I am looking for a miniature dragon :v:

Spiderdrake posted:

I switched my pledge to all of the dragons and nothing else after some reconsideration. I'm kinda tempted to get a mystic circle though, it seems like it would be interesting wargaming terrain?

I am currently getting the Mythos expansion for neat lovecraft stuff, and the Graveyard expansion for some nice terrain - I think it will work well for something like Frostgrave or more spread out for something like Warmachine. The crypt looks pretty great, especially because the interior is nicely detailed as well so you could break it up if you wanted. I am probably also going to get the Mystic circle because in pieces it makes decent basic terrain and you can put it all together for a big centerpiece element.

Bad Munki posted:

A few minutes with a sharp carving knife and some styrofoam will get you all the mystic circles and standing stones you could ever need.
You aren't wrong, but the one from Bones is going to be way more durable in terms of having stuff bounce off it, or if you want to take it to different gaming locations. It's also only $15, which is probably worth it to me just to to not have to clean up after cutting a bunch of styrofoam. On the other hand, that $15 is a whole other dragon, so its not really best value unless you're already feeling pretty solid for miniatures.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

New question about the existing Bones models!

I have been horribly bad about moving forward any of my actual miniature projects, and I want to try and kickstart myself with some random fun figures that I don't care about ruining. Anyone have recommendations from the Bones range already in production for figures that are cheap, characterful, and interesting to paint? I don't care about setting/theme at all, whatever might be inspiring works.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Thanks for the advice guys! I am going to pick up the cyber-gorilla and the ankheg, and probably another one of the larger models (still debating which one). I am also going to grab a couple man-size ones so I can get a sense of what those are like for detail, etc. Dragons Don't Share looks awesome, but hits a little bit above the size of project I am aiming for.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Ravendas posted:

Figures update! Those skeletal demihumans are awesome. I love the adventurer skeletons from the 2nd ks, so these are getting painted first when they arrive.

I also ordered that long dragon as my first 'large' dragon ever, it should work nicely. Though, I run 2e, and their dragons are hundreds of feet long, which don't work for the 5'=1" scale really, so I'll just chop off a final digit from their length to make them sane...

Yea, the new skeletons are awesome and I am trying hard not to buy them but there is a decent chance I will find them in my order anyway. I just want all the spooky graveyard stuff.

Having seen the previews I am going to get Kyrthixixis or whatever, it looks like it will work nicely as either a display or a game piece as needed.

Remember pledge manager closes on June 1, so lock your stuff in!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Really, I'd advise you to pass on it. You already have a big gribbly you admit you haven't done anything with, so you can pretty much guess the trajectory on this one too. Especially if you are trying to keep your cost down, you can either spend that $60 on that enormous dragon.... or you could get the base set (30 miniatures, I think?) or get one the regular dragons and the one of the other expansions, or four other small dragons, or... you get the idea. I think its an amazing miniature, but I know that I can get the same outcome by putting a large box in my closet and pretending it's actually in there. Instead I'm blowing my budget on a whole bunch of smaller miniatures that I might actually paint and use.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

Undying Lords x1
Graveyard Expansion x1
Kyphrixis x1

Sup pledge choice buddy :hfive:

I ended up at about that amount too, I also got the Mystic Circle, Mythic Expansion, and Townsfolk group.

Less than a week to lock in pledges!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Otisburg posted:

I waited too long to lock in my token dollar pledge, and cannot participate in any reindeer games. :smith:

Even if you only pledged a dollar on the original KS, you should still be able to add stuff now. Unless you mean you didn't actually get to making the token pledge at all.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you go to the pledge manager, in the top right of the page (where it has Account Details and Logout) there should be a link for Completed Orders. This will show you what you have already finalized in an order and how it was paid for. If something isn't showing up there, then you may not have completed the order properly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I find it helps to lump together stuff that is roughly the same and do it assembly-line. So if you get a bunch of lizardmen, paint them all at the same time - basecoats, then clothing, then details, etc. That really helps me move through stuff rather than doing them individually.

Other than that, you can work on finding painting methods that are more time efficient. If you work with drybrushing or lots of washes you can get a pretty good quick paintjob on many figure that is faster than doing regular painting and highlighting.

And of course, you can also compromise on quality. There is a definite diminishing return for most people on painting time. Maybe you can get 90% of your top level job in only half the time, and that's probably fine for most bones.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Latest update vindicates my decision to get the graveyard expansion. I didn't expect the crypt to be in styrene, but that's really cool. I am definitely going to keep it as modular as possible.

Opening door!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I really had to wrestle over Sledgehammer because it is awesome and I love the sculptor, but at the end of the day I have way too many scifi/modern vehicles unassembled and unpainted to feel ok adding another one to the mix. I only justified the dragons and stuff on the basis that I have actually finished all my other fantasy monsters. Hopefully Sledgehammer stays available for retail purchase down the line, so I can get it when I have a reason.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sometime between July and October of this year, I guess. :getin:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't understand how anyone failed to understand that the pledge manager would be closing today, they have been saying you had 'until June' to lock since the kickstarter closed. I know that sucks for someone who gets their paycheck today, but someone else is getting theirs tomorrow and someone else is getting theirs on Friday. Also, you know, the whole thing has been open since August so how many paychecks did people pass over waiting for the exact final moment.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I was seriously back and forth on the Frogemoth during the pledge and opted now, now with the sample up I am kind of sad that I didn't splurge out that much more. I don't have any use for it, but its a near unique creature that would look fun to paint.

Also, I decided to oath my skeleton pirate captain this month, and this led me to realize that Reaper has an entire line of skeleton pirates under the 'Razig' tag. Why didn't these guys get into one of the Bones runs? It's pretty pricey to get a whole crew at the moment, but Bones these guys up and I bet tons of people would love a skeleton pirate crew.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That is a really nice job, first time I have seen the model all painted up. I like the real-world color choice.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That core set picture is amazing, almost makes me wish I ordered it! :v:

Nice bonus to whoever ordered weapons; I am assuming its not going to hurt them too badly when it all shakes out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

In light of reaper's latest update, I have to wonder if there was anyone joining this that didn't expect there to be a lot of waiting and inevitable delays involved. I think that has happened every time, and there is basically no way to get millions of units produced in china and shipped to you without some hiccups. Am I just super chill in having assumed that fulfillment would be +six months?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Robotech (and similar things) are justified, and I even understood people who got irked at Bones I because, well, they didn't realize what they might be getting in for. But at this stage its Bones III and I figure you should know that 1) this process has lots of delays they can't control and 2) Reaper will actually come through and make good on it.

I guess that it helps that if I was suddenly filled with a burning fire to paint 100 random models, I have more than that glaring at me accusingly from storage.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You are chill, but there are many of us. I just try to ignore KS I have backed so I don't get all wound up over delays. If you forget long enough, they just show up one day and it's a great surprise!

That's not a bad idea, but then I wouldn't know how rad Brain-in-a-Jar guy is!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If Reaper has any sense (and they seem to have a bit) they would launch their new Kickstarter right after delivery of the current one- that way they can say 'look at all the stuff we just fulfilled, we did it!' and plus all the people that backed the last one will be giddy from getting their stuff/addled by the offgassing of resin and plastic, and back the new one too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The latest update makes me a little sad I didn't get the huge cannon, even though I know I have no use or space for it. It looks great.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Feeling pretty stoked I got the Mythos expansion now!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Man, Ma'al Drakar (the huge tiamat dragon) looks amazing, but I am kidn of glad I decided to pass on it because it's staggering huge and I have no idea how I would ever paint it, or where I would put it once I had assembled it. It's very cool though, and I really like how chunky it is. Sometimes big models are pretty spindly to make them work, but it looks like you could use this as an anchor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You have to post pictures of it when you get it, especially once you get it assembled and painted. I have just never worked on anything so large, my biggest project has been a Lizardmen Stegadon, which is completely dwarfed by that guy. I did order one of the smaller dragons though, which I am pretty excited about getting into because I have never painted one before. :toot:

• Locked thread