Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Bakanogami posted:

He's technically "Chuck Sauber", but he's voiced by the Japanese dub voice for Jack Bauer (who is coincidentally also the voice of Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero). For most of the plot he generally just runs around acting like he's in an episode of 24 (complete with timer), occasionally running into Takeru and yelling at him.

This loving rules. I don't even care if Altered Fable has some weird stuff in it, I want to see Jack Bauer and Walken show that high school just what ~AMERICA~ is all about! :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
So I was playing through Higurashi with the PS2 conversion patch installed, and everything was going pretty great. And then (Onikakushi spoilers) during a really tense scene where Rena was chasing Keiichi through the woods and being creepy as hell, she finally cornered him. The music did that half-irritating half-creepy sting, the screen went black... And then something bugged with the PS2 patch and it reverted back to the original and hahahahahahahaha holy poo poo those loving hands man god drat. I couldn't have possibly asked for a better time for that bug to kick in, this patch rules!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Artificer posted:

:( I hate you all. :negative:

Edit: OTHER SHOE. WHERE IS IT?

Edit: There it is.

Edit: THAT WAS THE FAKE OTHER SHOE. gently caress YOU GYM. This just isn't stopping! Aaargh!

Edit: The diaries? .......oh gently caress. Oh no.

Oh god this is the loving best, I finally understand what you guys meant now :allears:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

unpronounceable posted:

After seeing a couple people post tons of black bar and emoticon posts, I'm scared of MLA. I was pretty emotional through parts of Ever 17, so I don't know how I'd be able to take it. I have a couple friends that have gone through it already, so I know I'm going to have to. You guys will help me with the PTSD when I get there, right? :ohdear:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. You'll come out a different person than when you went in, go for it. What's a little temporary insanity between friends? :getin:

*Note: Actually we'll probably just cackle in glee but really it's because all of us went through the same thing, so at least you'll know it's not because we're demons or something.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Going through the Watanagashi arc in Higurashi is getting really confusing, being half-spoiled and all. Like, I know Shion is a real person, and that her and Mion are separate people, but on the other hand Mion seems to be getting really excited about meeting Keichii at the dessert thing but she seems normal most of the time. This is probably bothering me more than it should, but if I wasn't half-spoiled i'd just be like "oh yeah Mion's going through a schizophrenic episode" and it'd all be really neat and simple. I'm definitely looking forward to where it's going with this, it's a pretty good VN and the club scenes are pretty charming, and never go to the lengths of lacrosse. And the ending to Onikakushi was just :stare: enough that i'm even more interested in the story and characters. Really hoping that Keichii doesn't bash Shion's brains it with a baseball bat, that'd be really bad. :ohdear:

e: Aw, Mion. :smith:

e2: Oh, this is terrible. Shion is just an awful person. :saddowns:

klapman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 3, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Holy poo poo, R07 might be guilty of a lot of writing faults, but the man definitely knows his way around making people paranoid as all gently caress. Umineko managed to freak me out a few times, but so far Higurashi has been far, far better in that regard. And there's still like 6 and a half more episodes to go... :ohdear:

E: Watanagashi spoilers: Good god Keiichi, why won't you just tell Ooishi what's going on? You're just sitting there having your little freakout, being ridiculous, coming to a bunch of possibly correct conclusions, and this police detective that can protect you is sitting there completely oblivious. Just, c'mon man, help yourself out so that everyone can be all happy and stuff because that was really nice. :smith: I really like a lot of the messing about scenes before Watanagashi happened both times, and it makes the stuff that happens afterwards pretty sad. I just wish these guys could work it all out.

klapman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 5, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nate RFB posted:

The first two chapters are probably his poorest paced, where he was definitely testing the waters a bit to get a feel for what worked best. So if you're on board now you'll be in for quite a ride.

I'm glad there seem to be more people playing Higurashi. I would actually say it's a pretty underrated VN all things considered despite the popularity of the anime. I would guess most people watched the anime and figured the VN wasn't worth the time and/or didn't know about the PS2 patches.

Yeah, i'm kinda disappointed that i'm so spoiled on what goes on later in the series, but the execution so far has more than made up for it. That, and knowing some (but not all) aspects of the later story is making some of the earlier stuff even more interesting, actually. For example, Rika talking about the "dogs" when if i'm remembering right the mercenary group is called the Yamainu was actually really cool, and I hope i'm not just making associations where there are none, but if i'm right drat that's rad as hell.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Oh man, just reading that made me unreasonably excited for a second. Oh well, I didn't want another Muv Luv game anyway :negative:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Higurashi is getting more and more interesting as I go through. Tatarigoroshi: It seems like Keiichi is starting to get more and more of a clue as time goes on. He's getting oddly specific premonitions about really tiny problems blossoming into huge shitstorms, he's getting similar premonitions that things will stop being happy really really quickly, and he doesn't seem to be having breakdowns quite as easily as in the earlier stories. There's also a bunch of new stuff going down, like this Teppei guy and the new corpse being found in the river of sewage. Going by the TIPS i've read, it looks like she might be related to the Teppei dude somehow, but I still don't know who Teppei is exactly so :v: Satoko is also adorable in this story, I have a sister who's a lot like her, although she's a bit older than me. Seeing Mion tear Keiichi's lunchbox apart was actually pretty sad, but then Keiichi managed to defend it and awwwww :3:

e: Holy poo poo Ooishi, what the gently caress man? He's got a serious hate-on for Keiichi now, just because Keiichi was kind of a dick when he came calling for Satoko. That was an enormous change from the usual, what the hell's going on here?

e2: this is awful :smith:

e3: Okay, yeah. Really glad i'm not streaming this, because holy poo poo i'm probably about ten times angrier than I ever was during the ML stream, and I got loving pissed during that. Like, there's a huge difference between "oh man those monsters fuckin killed people that is awful I am angry now" and "This motherfucker probably sexually abused a ten year old." It's kinda scaring the poo poo out of me how I feel the exact same way Keiichi does right now, and i'm not even actually in that situation. I have to appreciate the skill R07 has to make me feel this way, even if it is a little terrifying. God drat let's brain this fucker with a baseball bat.

e4: Wait, wait, back in Onikakushi, they said that Satoshi started swinging around a baseball bat before he disappeared, just like Keiichi. And Satoko's aunt was beaten to death by a crazed psycho, and then Satoshi disappeared. Oh gently caress. I guess Keiichi really is like Satoshi after all.

e5: Holy poo poo, Keiichi. They are covering for you. They're saying they saw you at the festival because they know drat well what you were actually doing and they're giving you a decent alibi. Stop being an idiot, for christ's sake. This is going to end horribly, isn't it?

e6: poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo ohhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo

e7: "Can you provide any proof that you were somewhere else doing something at the time of the festival?" why yes mister doctor man let me go ahead and just totally gently caress my alibi - okay this is another edit from like a minute later and he actually did it, what the gently caress Keiichi?

e8: Okay what is even happening anymore :stare:

e9: I hope that baseball pitcher guy from the game is doing alright. No but seriously where the gently caress is the corpse

e10: Why is Rika dead now? I just... man. This has gotten even more insane than Onikakushi, I don't even have the words anymore. Everything is terrible and i've been reading for 6 hours straight now and I can't stop, this is the saddest thing :smith:

e11: The army. The loving army is here?! Poisonous gas? Everyone's loving dead? What the gently caress is going on??? Does this happen every single time, except Keiichi always died before it happened? This game has gone completely batshit.

e12: Well, that's it. The credits have rolled. Everyone is dead. I cannot loving wait to read the post game wrap up session for this mess, holy poo poo.

klapman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 8, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah Tatarigoroshi is when Higurashi gets pretty real. At least now you can catch your breath a little bit with Himatsubushi, because Higurashi Kai is going to be pretty much at the same level as Tatari non-stop.

How long is Himatsubushi? So far it seems like it's a pretty big breakaway from the normal presentation, what with it taking place during the Dam protests and i'm kinda itching to get back to the crazy stuff. It is giving me some time to think about the story so far though.

Some things i'm mulling over:

1. In Onikakushi and Watanagashi, this whole poisonous gas thing totally didn't happen. I'm basing this off the fact that it wasn't mentioned in either scenario, even though there was an investigation into Keiichi's murder of Rena and Mion in Onikakushi and Keiichi actually surviving for months after Watanagashi.

2. Only three "new" characters were introduced in Tatarigoroshi, and one of them was just the teacher getting a sprite. The other two were Teppei and Irie. Something about the two completely new characters introduced, going by my previous inference, bothers me. They didn't show up in the past two scenarios, and in this one poisonous gas swallows up Hinamizawa. Teppei is an idiot, so he really can't have anything to do with the whole thing - so that leaves me thinking of Irie, but he dies before the gas explosion even happens. Is this something like in Umineko?

(MASSIVE UMINEKO SPOILERS DO NOT READ FOR REAL)

2a. In Umineko, Kinzo had that whole dead man's switch trick, which ended up blowing up the island after all the events unfolded. If Irie had the same thing, that might explain it - but then, why would he commit suicide? He wouldn't not if it would mean Satoko's death - I think. So that means his death was staged, possibly by Takano if Keiichi wasn't just completely having a freakout at that point. He might have been acting a little crazy, but at that point his instincts were completely lit up, and there's some legitimate proof of that - he'd managed to track Teppei through the woods in the middle of the night with no problem, so he was definitely in a predator's state of mind. Given that, I don't think he'd make the mistake of misjudging Takano. It could have just been paranoia, as in the Onikakushi route, but she does seem pretty sketchy.

3. If Takano did kill Tomitake, who sets her on fire in a barrel? I really doubt it's a suicide, or that Keiichi suddenly got magical powers out of nowhere, so i'm assuming somebody did it. I'd guess that the Yamainu were behind it, but that's using speculation from what I got spoiled on a long time back and even if it's right it's not right for the correct reasons, but at the same time I can't really think of any other reason for it. I guess i'll just have to worry about it after I get more information.

All in all, some pretty interesting implications from the last episode. I'm all theorized out though, so I guess i'll just have to continue reading.

Ottumon posted:

I'm regretting having watched the anime adaptation before the VNs. Looking at your posts it seems I could've enjoyed things so much more if I hadn't known what was going to happen.

Also, regarding the dog thing: I'm pretty sure Rika said something along the lines of "a couple kitties snuck in, I'll tell the dogs not to punish them". Unless I'm remembering it wrong, the dogs can't mean the Yamainu

Yeah, I only ever read the manga and even then I only read Onikakushi and parts of Watanagashi, because I guess it's harder to translate a manga than a VN or the actual artists are doing that really stupid thing where they do all the chapters at the same time. And yeah, after reading that that was a saying of the elder's in Watanagashi, I figured that it wasn't the Yamainu. Speaking of which, i'm surprised they've only been mentioned explicitly all of once throughout this entire story so far, and even then it was a blink and you miss it deal. I'm excited to read more today, it's gonna be fun!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nate RFB posted:

Himatsubushi is the shortest chapter, though I can't recall by how much.

Using only information presented to the reader in Onikakushi and Watanagashi, we know the poisonous gas incident does not happen in Watanagashi because there are TIPS (or was it the credit roll?) in that chapter that reveal the characters' fates and several are still alive years later in Hinamizawa. We don't know what happens in Onikakushi after Keiichi's death because unlike the other chapters the story stops there and there is no information for the rest of the characters' fates, like Satoko or Rika. At least I don't remember any such information. So it may or may not have happened.

I dunno, I don't think it happened in Onikakushi because I believe that story ended a couple of days after the Watanagashi festival, just like Tatarigoroshi, and I think there was a case file on it that played just after everything ended. I figure that they wouldn't have bothered to keep an extensive case file on it if everyone in the village died just a day or two later anyways. Then again, I think i'll go back and check again because the file may have been finished before the date of the incident. I like reading deep into stories like this to try and puzzle things out, it's pretty fun.

e: Interesting, I guess that the manager they were talking about was just Irie, not some kind of evil mafia dude. I forgot about that whole bit.

Okay, after reading through it again it looks like there isn't any direct confirmation of the date of the report. However, judging by how deeply they investigated and how it talks about a year later people started thinking about the note Keiichi wrote, the murder was a pretty big deal. I don't think they would have had the time or inclination to actually investigate it if there'd been a huge explosion, so I think that Onikakushi is incident-free. We don't know if any of the main cast survived, but I think it'd be safe to say that the town surivived.

klapman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 9, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nate RFB posted:

I wouldn't think too deeply upon it. Onikakushi has a couple of inconsistencies with the rest of the chapters, which in retrospect feel like RK07 simply not knowing what direction he was going to take the story just yet. At any rate, that incident happening or not happening later is irrelevant to the story being told in that chapter.

Oh, I see. Ah well, I guess I shouldn't be reading into it as much since it's his first story. Anyways, guess i'll go back to Himatsubushi. I'll post another reaction thing when I get to the next one, because if you're right about the rest of the series being as intense as Tatarigoroshi... it'll probably be pretty good.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Cross Channel wasn't an awful way to follow up MLA, since that it has some of the same plot mechanics with a kind of lighter tone(in a sense). I didn't like it too much, but it seems like a very divisive VN so you may as well give it a shot.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I feel that the entirety of MLA was basically just to set you up towards thinking that the ending was a good thing. The entire time, that's the world Takeru was fighting for. Everything he did, all the people who died, they all did it so that there could be a world someday in which kids are completely useless idiots, and the adults aren't far behind. In a sense, Takeru did get the best ending imaginable, because he was able to fight for a world like that and also be able to live in it. I also agree with Krinkle - if Alternative Takeru did manage to get back to that world, it would've been like Unlimited all over again in a sense, except this time mentally instead of physically.

It's not even the PTSD that would do him in, honestly. Can you imagine going from a world where you're near constantly fighting for your life to one where your biggest crisis will be being late for work? On a primal level, he'd just be bored, and then he'd start wishing deep within himself that he could go back. Even if it wasn't his choice to get sent back, the guilt would start to kick in. He was a really, really kickass pilot, and he'd know very well that he might even be able to change the tide of the war in case things go bad again. So he might enjoy it for a time, but at some point, at least for a little while, that world would be really, really lovely to live in.

On the other hand he would totally kick Mikoto's rear end at Virtual-On, so it's give and take.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Well, i'm in the middle of Tsumihoroboshi now, and it's pretty good. The way that Rena's POV text goes from pink to red in gradual shades as the story goes on is something I barely even picked up on until now. I do feel like i'd enjoy it a lot more if I wasn't already spoiled on the majority of the twists back when I was reading the manga. I know about Rika, I know about Hinamizawa Syndrome (though not most of the actual facts about it, just that it exists) and I also know a bit about the Yamainu. The question arcs were a bit more interesting since I could look at it with a sense of "oh, so that's why X is happening", but the answer arcs are just, well, the answers I already know of. It's disappointing, honestly - it's still enjoyable to read through, but I imagine it's a lot like being spoiled on Muv Luv would have been.

e: "The true identity of the parasite... is aliens." Oh god Rena, you are just the best. :allears:

e2: Well, that's that. Pretty much everyone is their own little variety of hosed up now. At least I was wrong about where they were going when Rena said that Keiichi only targeted little girls, good lord that would have been awful. Compared to that, shooting them with a BB gun, uh, is still awful just not as awful and this is a goddamn mess.

e3: Okay woah this is something I wasn't spoiled about. Keiichi is suddenly remembering Onikakushi? Clearly? In this timeline? So now this is turning into the Onikakushi answer arc, which is kinda out of nowhere but i've been looking forward to it for a while. It does seem like it's not as good in retrospect, since it's boiling down to "drat Keiichi you crazy". But now Rika's patting Keiichi on the head and being really nice, and that's good.

e4: Alright, uh, so Rena has officially gone off the deep end and I don't think this is going to end well for anyone.

e5: :stare:

e6: This loving RULES!

e7: Okay kids like the whole maid and servant thing is funny and all but uh you're literally trying to kill eachother so if you wanna have fun and joke around maybe stop doing that first please :saddowns:

e8: This is the most surreal loving thing in the world and i'm loving every second of it. God drat this is starting to reach Umineko levels of :wtc:

e9: Holy poo poo. They did it? What the gently caress? I mean, I know there's two stories left, but you know what i'm gonna choose to believe it for what time i've got left to do so, because this is a good thing that happened and I didn't realize how apathetic I became to the plight of the characters until things starting going right again.

e10: Oh for gently caress's sake. Yeah I kinda forgot about the whole everything exploding and everyone dying bit. Uh, well, at least everyone was happy up till then? Hopefully? The ending credits did say her trial was underway though, so unless they had the trial that same night i'm pretty sure Rena might still be alive.

e11: Doesn't look like it, I guess. Oh well. The staff room bit with R07 was really nice, actually. Not a summation of everything in the game, not a discussion on the parts he had trouble with or enjoyed writing, just a suggestion to reach out to people when you need help. That's really classy, he's a pretty good guy. :unsmith:

klapman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 16, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Krinkle posted:

I suck and spoiled myself a little by constantly checking the Higurashi wikia while reading so I knew many of the things you say you found out beforehand. Also going backwards from Umineko I had knowledge I shouldn't have had at the time, but I really enjoyed the answer arcs where you're at right now and didn't feel cheated. Things start coming together, and it finally provides you with a reference frame to understand the story so far. Also the music was better as they stopped doing that giddy up boing-bong eight second loop every time something wacky happens.

I cried at the part where you are now. Those realizations were really cathartic. I think I like the emotional procession of the Higurashi story better than Umineko.

Yeah, I guess I just got too used to the "pattern" that the story followed, so my reactions got kinda dulled, which to be honest is probably the point. Judging by the introductory text when you start up the chapter and some of the Rika-centric TIPS, you're supposed to be feeling just like she is. When everything goes to absolute poo poo you're just kinda like "yeah well here we go again", and then when things start to change in crazy, new ways you're like "holy loving poo poo yes let's do this!". So now i'm having a lot of fun with the story even though I do know most of the answers, but until now it was basically just "yeah okay gotcha yep right lets move on". It doesn't help that I actually read the first half of the story revolving around Teppei and Rina in the manga because that was one of the most fully translated ones at the time, so I knew pretty much everything that went down up until just before Rena went absolutely batshit in the school.

All around, definitely my favorite episode so far, probably tied with Onikakushi. Looking forward to the next two, which will hopefully be new stories. Meakashi was interesting, but just going through a retread of Watanagashi with a different viewpoint was a little bit dull, no matter how gutwrenching the torture scenes might have been. On the other hand, it also had Rika being the most badass motherfucker in the world, so it was pretty great in it's own way too.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Hahaha, oh man. It's like the PTSD Arc in Muv Luv all over again, Minagoroshi loving rules. It actually feels like there's a point to everything again, which is something the series was sorely lacking up until the end of Tsumihoroboshi and up to now. This is gonna be a fun ride.

e1: Never mind they're playing mahjongg again

e2: You know, this situation is really bad, but the thing is, Rena's got total control of her family's (vast) finances. I don't really remember if everyone knows the only reason Teppei's staying around is because he's strapped for cash, but... Even if it would leave a bad taste in my mouth, if I was in that situation i'd probably just buy the guy off. Sure, he'd be getting rewarded for his actions, but guys like him don't tend to live long anyways - he'd be dead, probably within a couple of years. More importantly though, he'd be gone. I just hope they can see this solution quickly enough and have the guts to go through with it. This is a really good arc so far.

klapman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 17, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nate RFB posted:

(Minagoroshi)Teppei returns to Hinamizawa whenever Rina is killed by yakuza so as to lay low, not because he needs money. The situation with Rena's family was a different matter.

Oh, I gotcha. That makes things a lot more complicated, I must have read a few things wrong or something. In that case, hopefully Keiichi can somehow not piss off Oryou while doing his whole heroic stand thing, this could get ugly quick if she gets pissed off.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I've been putting off playing that for a while since i've been playing Higurashi, but hell if that doesn't make it a lot harder to ignore. How long is it so far? Is it pretty long like an episode of Higurashi/Umineko, or is it more of a 2-3 hour deal?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh holy poo poo my friend hasn't played Muv Luv and he doesn't know loving anything about it and he said he's up for streaming it with me as a co-commentator. The cycle is complete :unsmigghh:

^ Alright, i'll set aside an afternoon for it then. Looking forward to playing it.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Artificer posted:

Wait. Is this Alternative you guys are streaming? Because it'll be fun to watch live reactions to it without someone getting probated for it. :allears:

Well we're gonna have to start off with Extra, during which i'm gonna try and convince him that Extra was just so touching to me that it affected me on a personal level, and then i'm just gonna dump Unlimited and Alternative on him like a goddamn bombshell once we're done with that. It's gonna be loving glorious :allears:

e: Also if you're interested in seeing a reaction to CHOMP I think I linked it earlier in the thread.

klapman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 18, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Fenrir posted:

Might want to warn your friend about the H-scenes (like, in real time when one is about to happen) so he can turn off the stream, especially if he's doing this on twitch. They do ban people for those.

Honestly I would even be concerned about the uniforms in Unlimited.

Yeah, Livestream doesn't seem to care about that sort of thing so long as it's not brought to their attention and if it's not a particularly popular channel. I'll definitely tell him to skip through though, unless he thinks of something like putting Tenacious D over the scene or something dumb like that.

Also he's Finnish so he's got a funny accent. Star power right there!

klapman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 18, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Endorph posted:

I'm going to be honest, that seems like a terrible way to experience a VN for the first time.

Eh, I figure we'll go through Extra and see how it goes since Extra's pretty much a huge slog anyways. If our dynamic is good enough, it should be alright since i'll know pretty well when I should shut up and let him enjoy what's going on. I do think that during the PTSD arc at least I might have a sudden disconnection from the internet though. What can ya do? :shobon:

Also, i'm at the end of Minagoroshi and it turns out I wasn't spoilered on everything. Oh my god this is the saddest thing in a while now. People are just getting sent to their deaths, and the people doing the killing think that they're doing the right thing. And to be honest, if it were that cut and dry, I wouldn't even be able to say they weren't. gently caress Takano and the Hounds, they're the loving worst. :smith:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Reading a little bit into Matsuribayashi. MAJOR UMINEKO AND HIGURASHI SPOILERS I loving knew I remembered the name Okonogi from somewhere, and seeing the guy's sprite confirmed it. But Higurashi is just supposed to be a story in the Umineko universe, so how the hell is Okonogi a prominent political figure? God, I really wish i'd read Higurashi first, because looking back on it there's a lot of little references. For example, at first I thought Lambdadelta looked like Satoko, but now that I think about it she's a lot more reminiscent of Takano. This ride is going off the rails and i'm loving every second of it.

I do wish they weren't so blatantly trying to give Takano a tragic backstory though. I might be able to understand why she did what she did, but that doesn't mean I sympathize with her killing an entire village to satisfy her grandfather's ego. I'm only a little bit in but unless they pull a complete 180 it's pretty clear what they're doing.

On another note, it's finally starting to hit me just how many Japanese visual novels have to do with time travel/quantum physics fuckery. I don't see myself getting sick of it any time soon either, even if a lot of it doesn't make sense because the idea is just so drat cool! :allears:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nate RFB posted:

The direct Higurashi references (like where Battler talks about it as if it were a real game) are probably meant as a joke, meaning that it's possible there are some actual connections between the two. Actually when the Matsuribayashi manga came out Amakusa is one of the Mountain Hounds working for Okonogi, which would explain how the two knew each other in Umineko. I don't think it's meant to be anything particularly deep though other than some fun speculation for the fanbase to chew on.

Lambdadelta is indeed meant to resemble Takano. Lambda=3, Delta=4, and Mi=3, Yo=4. Lambdadelta's power of "certainity" also greatly resembles Takano's role and approach. This Umineko TIP further connects the two. However there are some superficial similarities to Satoko as well, such as their ohohoho laugh.

After you finish with Matsuribayashi, I recommend getting the secret ending and playing Saikoroshi-hen in Higurashi Rei.

Wait holy poo poo, is this going to be like Episode 8 where I can actually play it as a game? Holy poo poo i'm psyched. Also, that's actually really cool - it'll be interesting going through the latter episodes of Umineko with that in mind once the PS3 patch is released. As for the references, that is really really awesome. You know now that I think of it, assuming that Rika actually survives this game... Once again, major Umineko spoilers Is it possible that she's actually Featherine? She looks similar to Rika, and it would explain how Bernkastel and Lambdadelta started showing up in the stories and having such similarities to their Higurashi counterparts, since I think she was helping Battler write the stories. My memory of what actually went down in EP 8 is kind of a mess because it was all over the place, but I think that was what was happening anyways. This series is so goddamn interesting, I love it.

e1: Oh man, this is probably way less complex than i'm making it out to be but I love the idea of this. This is going to be fun!

klapman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 19, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Hah, i'll be the first to admit that i'm pretty much a dunce when it comes to mysteries and putting together little character bits like that. Thanks for clearing that up guys, it makes things a bit more clear, even if it is all just relatively irrelevant. It's also fun to see stuff like that in different stories, and i'm legitimately impressed that they stood on their own well enough in Umineko for me to be able to think "oh hey new characters" rather than "Oh, characters I don't know that are doing stuff I don't get" which I would probably do if I tried pulling that trick in something I wrote.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Rodyle posted:

I await the day when someone tries to blind livestream Umineko and we all die of sleep deprivation.

Please don't, I don't want to experience what I put the people watching my stream through. :ohdear:

planetarial posted:

Oh yeah I'm aware it's long as hell and I would probably be burnt out early too. But klapman managed to miraculously not get spoiled at all at Muv Luv for his stream aside from one extremely vague thing. And I was planning on reading Higurashi before anyway.

The funny thing is, is I actually wasn't even spoiled by that in the way everyone thought. At that point I was convinced that Takeru jumping back into Extra would get everything all lovely, even though it wasn't blatantly stated at that time. So when someone said "hey did he meet Slutmika yet", I was under the impression that we'd go back at some point and everyone would be some coked-out druggie and Sumika would be trading sex for heroin or something crazy like that. Instead it was just a guy who didn't like her much as a character. :shobon:

But yeah, especially for Umineko which is at it's core a mystery novel, I wouldn't count on lightning striking twice regarding spoilers. But then, considering that you'd be getting largely the same audience as I did, I don't think that anyone would want to spoil you at all. People like watching others go through the same stuff they did, to compare their reactions and get back a little bit of that fun they had the first time through. And honestly, it's actually pretty hard to get burnt out on it. It's really just playing a visual novel while talking to people.

The only thing that's a bit difficult is to get used to constantly vocalizing your thoughts so that people know what's running through your head, and getting used to that early on means that when poo poo hits the fan you'll just do it automatically. On one hand that makes it really fun to watch, but on the other that's also how you get my ridiculous speech about how I was going to kill all the fictional aliens to death because HONOR AND PRIDE AND GOD BLESS HUMANITY :japan:. What i'm saying is do it, it's fun!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I heard that the F/SN anime was poo poo compared to the VN, so I checked it out and lo, so it was. After that it was Tsukihime, and then some other poo poo I don't really remember, and then Umineko and Nitro+ as a whole cemented my appreciation for the genre.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

kirbysuperstar posted:

I didn't think F/SN's anime was that bad, to be honest. Certainly not as bad as its predecessor.

Sure, it wasn't bad, but it was just an anime of the worst route. It did have that awesome fight between Archer and Berserker unless my memory's being weird, so it definitely wasn't awful, bad choice of words on my part.

Also, Higurashi is getting loving insane and i'm loving every goddamn minute of it. Shion and Kasai have loving AK-47s, the Yamainu are getting totally hosed with by Satoko's traps, and this is the best thing ever! The only thing I want for now is for Keiichi and Rena to do some crazy poo poo too, they seem to have been just kinda hanging out, but i'm sure they'll get their moment to shine soon enough.

e2: HOLY poo poo AKASAKA YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

e3: Okay, at this point i'm starting to think R07 met a really badass officer at some point and this is all just a severe case of fanboyism. I'm giggling my rear end off here, this is loving hilarious! "It isn't a noise of people fighting. It is... a noise from a traffic accident!" :allears:

e4: Hahahaha, oh my loving god this is the funniest thing i've read in ages. These hardboiled mercenaries are getting totally devastated by some random schoolchildren, and I can't even say it's 100% implausible. They're an intelligence gathering unit, led by a uselessly pissy commander, who is being ordered about by an even more pissy commander, and the soldiers themselves are so goddamn pathetic they let a 10 year old goad them into a trap. And now, we've got three of the actually competent fighters (and Irie) against 8 well armed guys, and you know what? They're gonna win, because god drat these guys suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

klapman fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 25, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oooookay, Matsuribayashi is starting to just get kinda dumb now. And a lot of it seems like stuff that could be really, really badass and cool except it just misses the opportunity. Like Irie's Maid in Heaven thing, I don't really, well, get it. Like, it's a really tense situation and he actually comes up with something clever, pretending he had a syringe filled with H108 or whatever the incredibly lethal injection is, which could have been really cool, but then he starts saying "oh yeah man you'll scratch your butt to death". Maybe it was meant to be a break in the action or something, but it wasn't executed well at all.

That, and good lord - yes, the Mountain Hounds aren't specifically a combat unit, sure. But the idea that they're getting systematically picked off by a band of schoolchildren, regardless of whether or not they're on their "home turf", is just ridiculous. It's retroactively making all the menace they held in Minagoroshi nothing more than a bad joke. Hell, at this point i'm more surprised that Rika didn't manage to survive at least one world just because the Hounds accidentally shot eachother to death during training. I thought this was going to be a story about managing to triumph against overwhelming odds, or even better two sides having an evenly matched battle, but this just turned into a goddamn Disney movie at some point and i'm not really enjoying it all that much.

Muv Luv Spoilers from here in

It feels a lot like if Takeru came back from Extra PTSD Land with all his newfound determination and will to save the world, and the BETA just started linedancing rather than, y'know, doing BETA poo poo. I can't take the story seriously if it can't take it's antagonists seriously, which hasn't been a problem at all up until this second half of Matsuribayashi. It's really disappointing and baffling how this started to happen at what should be the climax to the story. Believe me, i've got no problem with a happy ending, hell I loving love the things. But in stories like this, I want the characters to earn them rather than just having the author plop it in their laps.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nate RFB posted:

You've more or less zeroed in on what bothers people about Matsuribayashi. I think the first 80% or so is pretty brilliant, and the actual ending itself is perfect, but everything in-between should have been amazing as well and it just doesn't work out that well.

Yeah, I just finished it, and that ending was really nice so i'm willing to forgive the less than stellar parts. :unsmith: Besides, now that I think of it, it was probably R07's first time writing an intense chunk of a story rather than a single scene, or at least one that wasn't entirely sinister in nature. Now that I think about it, it felt a lot like a poorly executed Umineko sequence, so I can easily forgive him for that if only because he got so good at it later on.

All in all, Higurashi was a really good read, although it wasn't quite as polished as Umineko, and maybe it didn't use the characters quite as well in the later episodes. I had a good time though, and i'm looking forward to the secret ending.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Nate RFB posted:

Don't forget there's still more Higurashi left after beating the main game: You've got the secret ending, and then Saikoroshi, which leads into Umineko pretty nicely.

E: I can't read, looks like you already know about the other ending. Hopefully at least you have better luck getting Saikoroshi to run than Ibram Gaunt did.

I can't even find a place to buy Higurashi Rei anywhere. I found a translation after a lot of digging, but it's useless without the actual game, and everything else just seems to be the anime which I don't think is the same thing. Is there a digital distribution thing that i'm missing somewhere, and if so do you have a link?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The Dysfunctional Systems VN really is pretty great. I ended up following Cyrus because frankly the dude had a way better idea of what was going on than Winter, and his ideologies were seemingly sensible, and boom there's the path to hell. :stare: I mean looking back on it it was still the best decision I could have made with the information I had, but even still watching things go to poo poo so incredibly fast was very startling. I guess it's also that i'm so used to games saying "you know cruelty can be the greatest kindness" that it's actually surprising when you get a game that responds with "Yeah, and sometimes it's just loving cruel, jackass." I'm definitely enjoying it so far, and i'm really glad that it didn't end after the whole radiation sickness deal because it seemed like it might have been wrapping up there.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Just started playing through Rewrite, and it's now my personal mission to make him jump into every goddamn lake no matter the situation. I might have pretty low standards for humor, but god drat this game is funny as hell in the most surreal ways.

e: Kotarou is literally threatening to kill someone over the internet because they talked some poo poo. I really hope this turns into a PSA on the level of Muv Luv's "video games are bad" one, holy poo poo :allears:

klapman fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 13, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Finished Chihaya's route in Rewrite.

I know that the thread warned about this in advance, but the common route really was tremendously long. I'd say that Chihaya's route ended up redeeming it though, especially since the common route was really goddamn funny sometimes. I still crack up when I think back to the YOSHINO fan song, and the writing in general was just really great. You can definitely tell that the same translation group that did Muv Luv did Rewrite, that's all i'm saying. It was also really fun to see Kotarou grow up a bit throughout the route. Someone earlier compared the route to Unlimited Blade Works, and I can certainly see it! It felt like a more condensed version of UBW in a lot of ways, and I found it to be really fun to read through once it really got going.

It was great, i'd say 8/10.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Man, I don't know if it says something about me that the moment that's affected me most in Rewrite so far is when Lucia hits Hissy Cat. Poor thing didn't deserve it, I actually feel really terrible right now because the fictional cat who was finally learning to love got hit really hard. :smith:

e: Holy poo poo, this is the most overblown reaction to someone not wanting to touch flowers I could ever imagine. :stare:

e2: Wow, Lucia's route is just a complete tonal shift. I really, really wish I had decided to get this one first. It's really good, I know that, but at the same time it feels like if i'd started with this one and then done the Kotori and Chihaya routes, the supernatural element would be way freakier. As is, i've already seen Kotarou surf a motherfucking broadsword into a gigantic volcano beast's face, so this ghost doesn't seem terribly threatening.

klapman fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 21, 2013

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Sinking Ship posted:

I was also unsatisfied with the ending - probably because I prefer happy endings to sad endings and sad endings to vague endings. I mean the ending isn't really vague - it's pretty explicit what happens (and if the magic isn't explained who cares) - but I can't think of a better word because it's somewhere in between 'and they lived happily ever after with love and smiles and rainbows' and 'then they all got cancer and after 6 months of heartbreaking recovery a truck ran them over while a serial killer killed their families (and their pets)'. I mean obviously good media should cover a broader range than just the two extremes...

But that doesn't stop me from not liking how it ends I mean him and all his friends are broken and terrible people but he manages to isolate them from him (and set them free) ...so that's good I guess? Happy end? Everyone escapes except the hero making his heroic sacrifice... But to me it just felt kind of meaningless because you know - eventually he'll forget and go back to being just as broken and terrible while they will all go on with their lives to some greater or lesser extent (right before sending them off he drops some huge drama-bomb on most of their heads, so knowing what we know about them, it seems reasonable to assume most of them won't be 'moving past' it). Meanwhile our hero will live on in unpopulated purgatory for all eternity with any and all character growth he may have experienced or ever will experience being reset eventually... I mean what's the moral of that story?

I dunno what the moral is but I enjoyed the VN in spite of that, I just felt like the ending was too lukewarm - nothing really felt resolved for our main character that is. I mean him saying he feels at peace doesn't really mean much to me when his personality resets every week. Of course I never got around to reading Tower of Friends so I might be missing something important.

For the record, Tower of Friends isn't really an extension to the main story, it's more of a side story. And it's also the most darkly funny thing i've ever read. A tower of friends, holy poo poo. :allears:

As to the ending, I thought it was pretty good. The moral is an unconventional one, sure. But the thing is, Taichi was able to look at himself and genuinely decide that the world was better off without him. It wasn't a snap judgement, or a decision made in the middle of depression, it was a conclusion he reached after a lot of thought. In a way, it can kind of be seen as a patient on life support deciding to let go - he tells his friends to leave the room, convinces them one by one to move on without him, and then he lets himself die. He was too far gone to be saved - and if you want some honest to god proof of that, then you definitely want to read Tower of Friends.

Looking back on it, I didn't really like it at the time since it was a very uncomfortable read for a lot of reasons, but now I think it was really a rather good story. It went really deep into the psyche of a disturbed human being, and came up with a conclusion that I doubt many others would have reached. Very, very interesting read.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh my god, that is loving precious! I didn't even get that far into Saya no Uta, and I can tell that's the understatement of the century. Whoever wrote that disclaimer is pretty alright in my book.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Just finished Rewrite's Terra route. It already said Fin, but i'm still waiting for everyone to circle up around Kotarou and start shouting "CONGRATULATIONS!". I'm just confused at this point, and i'll have to try and find a summary of what even happened. The only thing I can think of is some kind of witchy time magic caused Kotarou to be born way earlier than normal on the Terra route, which made him able to get poo poo done earlier or something? gently caress this got confusing fast, I was waiting for everything to get explained later on in the route, but I guess I just missed something earlier on because I never really understood anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh, okay. That makes a lot more sense. At the point where you can get the bad ending, I was so used to the bad ends being nothing more than "you hosed up and died", so I didn't even bother doing anything but the obvious correct choice. Thanks for the explanations, everyone! I almost feel tempted to go back to the common route to see some of the foreshadowing, but this VN has already been incredibly long, so I think i'll pass on that. It was pretty okay, although I didn't like Terra too much compared to Moon and the others. It also gives the other routes a really weird vibe, and I feel especially sorry for Kotori because that had to have been loving weird.

• Locked thread