Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of Drive, when do we normally get info about the mid-season powerup?

For Kamen Rider? Usually episode 20 or so these days, we're right on time.

Blaze Dragon posted:

We already have. It's Type Tridoron. We haven't seen it yet, though, even in scans, we just have a silhouette and its powers. It can combine three tires into one.

I was hoping it would "Type Over" like one of the audio samples from the toy. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

point of return posted:

Either way, 555/Faiz is the series I think I've heard the fewest people say they like.

This may be because Kamen Rider 555 is an incredibly Toshiki Inoue series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Cliff Racer posted:

Anyways, I haven't watched Faiz but at least the main suit looks neat. Wish I could say that about all of Heisei rider.

You're not alone in liking the design of Faiz. Faiz's suit is of the best in the franchise and it has a great arsenal and an awesome belt voice.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Seriously, was there anyone on that show who isn't a horrible person in some manner? Hell, you could even consider the secondary Rider to be one of the primary villians in a way(Unless Kusaka suddenly develops some kind of redeeming qualities twords the end that I forgot, but I doubt it).

He doesn't.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

John McClane posted:

I was gonna come in and ask what my first toku show should be but i guess it's faiz. :unsmigghh:

Only if you hate yourself or want to have nostalgia for an egregious show. If you want to see a good Toshiki Inoue series watch either Jetman or Kamen Rider Agito: Both of those are legitimately good shows that also have people repeatedly falling off bridges and piers. As a more serious recommendation both Agito and Jetman are seriously good, and also try Kamen Rider Kabuto or W, and for Sentai try Shinkenger or Gokaiger.

Stallion Cabana posted:

My biggest complaint with Drive right now is it seems most of the Shift Cars won't get to be used by Drive and also that Type Technic was really unnecessary.

Otherwise I love it.

Basically this. Drive so far has been really good at character and episode writing. It's not the same as Gaim was, nor is it really attempting to be Gaim, but I think it's a good show for most of the same reasons as W, IE. being fun and competently written. It doesn't have the same really solid balance of forms that W had, but I doubt we're going to be getting that in a Rider series again as long as having lots of bits and bobs still sells. However I do like that the Riders in Drive still have a measure of competence in their form changes, and actually will start in a different form or will Tire Change to a stronger form quickly. I find this quite refreshing since I still remember the episode of Wizard where Wizard gets pounded for 2 episodes and then finally uses Infinity and kills the monster effortlessly in 30 seconds.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Stallion Cabana posted:

It seems kind of odd to have the Secondary Rider's super form show up this early. Doesn't that usually happen in the 30s?

You're correct it's a little early for the secondary rider's final form, in the last few seasons those showed up around episode 26. However the timing is right, they usually get theirs before the main rider gets his final form. It's possible that Gou might simply be out of commission as Mach for a couple of episodes.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kasumi not getting to sit in the chair was some straight-up bullshit. And Takaharu is no Daigo.

This very much. Maybe ninninger will get better, and I hope it does, but right now they've been putting Takaharu over more heavily than Daigo and that's quite an impressive achievement. However the real problem with what they're doing is that they're doing it at the expense of the rest of the cast. I could overlook the red favoritism in Kyoryuger because that show had great cast I could get behind and enjoy. Moreover they actually gave a good deal of screen-time to their secondary cast even while they were pushing KyoryuRed so much. They've been running with Takaharu so hard in these first five episodes that they haven't bothered to make the rest of the cast on either side of the fight fun to watch, and that's a mistake in any show.

As for the upcoming crossover ugh. I'm going to second deadly_pudding when they said that Decade/Shinkenger was good, and to me that was because it was a full 2-episode arc of Decade set in the Shinkenger as opposed to a TV Special/commercial for the movie. The timing on the special is especially galling since we're at a really heated point in Drive, which incidentally was one of the annoying things about both of the crossover promotions in Gaim and Gobusters. Do you think they specifically slam a crossover in at the least opportune times?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I liked how Gaim ended up, but I was hoping for a while that Gaim vs Baron wouldn't be the final battle of the series (I mean discounting the epilogue, which incidentally I liked) since it was so obvious. Of course with the way the story was written I think realistically the only way those two weren't going to have a final showdown would be for one of the combatants to have a heroic sacrifice for the other's sake. It certainly wasn't a bad ending, but it was so heavily foreshadowed to such an extent I would have enjoyed being surprised.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Do you think they brainstormed this at Toei? Like "What's literally the most American thing we can think of to put in our Japanese Ninja show?" Because a Cowboy with burger morpher and Rodeo themed giant robot is really top tier ridiculous and I love it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think one of the sticking points about talking about whether a show is Lighter vs. Darker is that there's a lot of metrics that are often lumped into calling something "Darker". A show can be more or less serious for instance, and by that metric RPM was generally a lot more serious than Go-Onger was. There's also optimistic vs pessimistic, Gaim was indeed dark but it was also a strikingly optimistic and hopeful show all throughout.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

Saban and Lionsgate are reportedly in talks with Dean Israelite to direct next year's Power Rangers reboot. If you don't know who he is, that's okay because the only thing he's done is Project Almanac.

Power Rangers reboot? What is this? Is this the movie that mutated into an animated feature?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's probably because Daigo was willing to work together with his friends, and they were portrayed as competent as well.

I think this finally hits home what's been bothering me about Ninninger, it isn't that Takaharu is being put over more than the rest of the cast, it's that he's being put over at the expense of the rest of the cast. Kyoryuger's approach to its cast was basically right there in the tagline "The strongest and bravest in history", and they wanted you to know it and believe it. Daigo might have been sold as basically "the most strongest and bravest", but the Kyoryugers all had episodes where they got to show off and be cool. The reason why the rare 10-member role was so great was because the show had spend quite a lot of time putting over every single Kyoryuger, so having the whole team show up to fight together was a huge pop. Super Sentai has usually gone with the idea that the Red Ranger is the best on the team, but I think this is the first time where I've really seen the show denigrate the rest of the cast.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

My team is Burstranger, our transformation phrase is "Burst it up!", our roll call is "Let's blow this thing!", the mech is Starburst, which we call with "Starburst, explode!" and out finishing move is "Kaboom!"

So you're playing as Dynaman?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Evil Sagan posted:

I started with Go-Busters and have watched each series afterwards. It seems like the rule is that each sentai must be worse than the series that preceded it.

That would explain why Zyuranger is so goddamn amazing.

I'm sorry you're burdened with your bad taste.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Daigo worked because even though he was overpowered as hell throughout the series and got to one shot the final boss, he still showed a constant appreciation for his teammates that felt genuine the whole way through. He had an infectious optimism that made him a natural leader in addition to the talent inherent in being a Red. With Takaharu it seems like he's an idiot child that everyone else only tolerates because he's strong as hell, and Takaharu's (and the show's) understanding of teamwork seems to be "that thing where I use everyone else's powers in addition to my own."

I was so loving ready for the other four to tell Takaharu "no you loving idiot, get back to the house you can't do poo poo. Are you so self-centered and arrogant that you believe that we're actually just trying to buy time until you show up and save us all? We're a family, dumbass, that means we protect each other, not wait for you to protect us." But instead the opposite happened I was real pissed at the lovely writing and couldn't enjoy the fight choreography.

I've said it before but Kyoryuger's approach to its team was "These guys are all awesome, and this guy is especially awesome too". There's a difference between putting over the red ranger (which always happens) and putting him over at the expense of the rest of the team. The standard default mode of Super Sentai is the red ranger is the best ranger, but most Sentai shows have that whole "team" thing to them where having an awesome dude as the leader also puts over the rest of the team by having them work together well.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still hoping the villains become more interesting in Ninninger. ToQger's saving grace was that the villain faction was incredibly interesting and cool even though the heroes were mostly dull. Tsugimori almost seems like he's going to be interesting with how he called out Kyuuemon in his debut, but I'm not sure how much mileage we'll get out of that. The show's seemingly going the "resurrect one general at a time" route which is pretty disappointing since it limits how much interaction there is with the villains. And even that wouldn't be so bad if the villains were more interesting. The beginning of Go-Busters after all was basically just Enter by himself, with occasional scenes of him talking to Messiah, and it was perfectly fine because he was an interesting character.

There have been a couple of Sentai shows where they've used rotating villains well, Gaoranger only had one Highness Duke Org active at a time (until the ending) and Goseiger rotated villain factions every time they were beaten. The key is the focal villain or villains who don't change, Gaoranger had Tsuetsue and Yabaiba and Goseiger had Bladerun/Brazil, so right now the question for Ninninger is what they'll do with Kyuemon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gearhead posted:

Fang Joker always confused the Hell out of me, really. Both Double and O's had forms that, by all pomp and circumstance, could've been 'final' forms, but turned out to not be. Fang Joker being overshadowed by Extreme and PuToTyra being overshadowed by TaJaDor, which was introduced BEFORE PuToTyra, making it in effect a crossgrade.. except in how it was essential in opening up the last fight as winnable.

My favorite goofy fan theory about OOO is that the power of a combination is determined by how many times the belt says its name when he transforms. Tajador and Putotyra both say their name only once, so they're both about as strong as the other, but Putotyra is super effective against Greeds and Yummys and Tajador isn't.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pyroi posted:

So now we have both Gou and Eiji travelling the world trying to find a way to revive their buddy, either Chase or Ankh.

I was kinda hoping Eiji was the one honking the horn at the end.

This was exactly my thought process as well. When I saw what was up with Gou my immediate gag reflex was "Man I hope he sees Eiji coming the other way", and for a split second when there's that honk it was "Oh poo poo! They're actually going to do it!?"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I'm so glad they brought back Professor Harley for the last (normal) episode of Drive(if only because I've loved the actor in nearly every single role I've seen him in), though he really should have stuck around as a normal cast member.

To be fair the moment I realized that it wasn't Eiji I was charmed because Professor Harley was awesome and it was totally the right call to have him pick up Gou.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Some Numbers posted:

When did this happen?

One of the net movies I think. He also meets Rider 1 and is utterly starstruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Speaking of Gekiranger last page was there ever a good sub release for Gekiranger?

• Locked thread