Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

What episode was that? I'm pretty sure the Megaranger OP is from Megaranger Vs Carranger and apparently the Gingaman theme shows up in episode 43 of its respective series. Not sure about the GoGoV or Timeranger ones though.

GoGoV also showed up in its series, Episode 39 I believe. Timeranger likely showed up in the movie but I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

The Blackest Goon posted:

'Believe Yourself' from Agito is a fantastic song, but holy loving poo poo has use of this song been stretched to oblivion

Twenty episodes in, this poo poo has become the new Duel of the Fates for me :sigh:

Wait till they use "Deep Breath", you'll miss Believe Yourself pretty quick.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

RBX posted:

Ok i'm on episode 14 of W and I think it's time for the first movie? Since the commercial started interrupting the wonderful intro sequence. So I just watch Begins Night then i'm good right?

Yep, it takes place before episodes 15 and 16. Before Episode 44 make sure to watch A to Z. Make sure to skip the stupid loving Decade part too.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Dr Tran posted:

I wonder if Kyoryuger will get a Boy robo

Like Tackle Boy and Tetra Boy?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's gonna be sad when the villains get axed at the end.

I imagine Luckyuro and Candelila will survive. They seem like dicks a little bit, but this show seems too peppy to kill those two off.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3XZZh0LmKM

I missed this video :allears:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Starting at Kabuto would likely be a poor idea. People say start at W but I would avoid it because it may be the best goddamned rider show there is. Maybe Black would be a good start? Black or Kuuga or Agito are probably great entrances.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Hibiki wasn't popular with kids and changed format a lot about halfway in which is why people dislike it. Decade is a loving weird mess of a character who's a smug dick and murders childhood icons for ill defined reasons.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Oh wow, that sounds pretty cool. I assume they also get more than the 2 seconds that the 2nd Delta girl gets? (Faiz spoilers) I can't remember if she dies by the end of the show because so many of the Ryusei school students end up biting it.

The one who only lasts a couple seconds survives I think. She barely counts but technically I guess you could call her a female rider.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It absolutely is. You are absolutely supposed to feel sympathetic for Hirachimechamedes. That's the brilliance of it.
You have this intellectual-type and the only thing in the world he wants to do is please the only person who ever made him feel worthwhile. But he can't because despite coming up with several brilliant plans he's constantly foiled by bullshit completely out of his control. Yogostein actually recognizes that it isn't fault when his plan fails solely because a giant robot whale came out of nowhere. But despite that he can't take losing, and, realizing that logically thinking through your plans doesn't mean poo poo when the heroes are able to pull miracles out of their asses, decides to sacrifice his intellect to become a raving unstoppable monster. He's so loving out of it in his last episode alive that all the other villains are like "holy poo poo, maybe we should have been nicer to him" But even that fails because of "THE HUMAN SPIRIT" and it's just the saddest loving thing.
Then to just kick him while he's down he comes back as a ghost because he is just that dedicated and only fails because, and for those who haven't watched Go-Onger I swear I'm not making this up, the team adds salt to their clusterfuck mecha's final attack.

Hiramechamedes is basically the Sentai version of Frank Grimes.

Okay now my reaction to Hiramechamedes makes sense. Thank you because I always wondered why I felt sad for a math robot with a Pythagorean theorem sword.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Hyphen, you should watch Boukenger next. Pretty much the whole team in that gets equal billing.

I'd say the king of this would be Dairanger. It feels like the whole team is considered equal there.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
It's not as bad as Denjiman. The villains were literally named "Vader Clan". And the next year in Sun Vulcan they had this guy.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Over-Time is probably the best subbing group out right now because not a lot of sub groups actually seem to get characters right. It's just literal junk. I love that line from Marvelous in Gokaiger you mentioned and Over Time really hits the mark on making characters sound like...characters?

Dairanger might be different because of how far back it is but it's legitimately a great series. Every member is quite important and the only downside is how poorly they had to shoehorn Kou into certain fight scenes. I assume since the actor was so young he couldn't film as much as the adults. Dairanger feels like it's all about growing up and growing into more than you were before. It's such a fun show with a handful of flaws, but it's totally worth the ride.

Granted I think Shinkenger blows so take my word for what it's worth. :v:

The Blackest Goon posted:

Since I'm almost done, I'll go ahead and ask:

Black, Kabuto, or OOO.

Which should I watch (or i should say watch completely :smug:) next?

Kabuto gets odd during the middle, and OOO has some writing flaws, but both of them are still fine shows. Kabuto does have one of the smuggest dicks for a protagonist you'll ever see so just be prepared for that. I've heard great things about Black as well. Personally I might suggest Agito? It's one of Inoue's best before he vomited Faiz onto people.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

FortMax posted:

The individual Guardian Beasts' cockpits were reused from Jetman as well. And the Turboranger cockpits were reused in Fiveman, and again for the bad-guy-bots in Jet and Zyu.

It's great seeing toku shows cut as many corners as possible. I'm a big fan of when they recycle suits for monsters over and over. There's a Japanese wiki page for every time they did it but it's interesting if you can kinda parse what the lovely google translation is saying.

http://www31.atwiki.jp/sentai-kaijin/pages/2102.html

Kiva was really pretty bad about recycling suits which is why when they had the big Fangire armies near the end you'd only see about a dozen different ones. I guess the suits cost a lot more to make with all that pretty stained glass on them.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

jivjov posted:

So I decided to start watching a more vintage Sentai series and went ahead and picked Maskman; is anyone here familiar with the series? I don't think I can stick it out due to the editing. Everything is crazy jump cuts, sped up footage, and nigh-seizure-inducing screen flashes. Does this get better as the series progresses or is that just how Maskman was made?

I believe it gets better but at the time Toku special effects were all about poo poo like that. It was the only way to make some of the suits look good really.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I think the most annoying thing about Operation Overdrive is how often they did that stupid effect where there was a gigantic explosion in the background and they would zoom in on it. It was the worst thing and it always lasted about the same amount of time. They did it about 3 or 4 time in that clip. I was bored once and counted in a team-up episode and they used it roughly 45 times.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

FortMax posted:

(Megaranger episode 4)

Oh 1997.

You can even see the browser loading the next frame of the webcam feed ig you go frame-by-frame. Takes 3-4 frames of film per frame of webcam at times.

I will say Megaranger was on the cutting edge of technology for its time. It may seem really hacky and dated now, but it had poo poo like digital cameras and webcams in 1997. If they did it now people would just think "Who cares? I have an iPad and can just do all of this myself."

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Dexie posted:

I just noticed the light Wizard of Oz references in Zyuranger. That brings me to two questions.

1) Are their any blatant Oz references in Abaranger? I'd imagine so, since the other two dinosaur sentai have them.
2) Why the hell do the dinosaur sentai have Oz references? Tell me Toei, who had the idea to first combine Oz and DINOSAURS together? That seems random as hell now that I'm thinking about it.

Granted, 'Japan' and 'random as hell' tend to go hand-in-hand together anyway.

It's probably just a coincidence. It could very well just have been a suit designer feeling like being creative with themes, or it could have been in the writer's notes because why not? Japan probably just enjoys classic movie references or something.

I noticed the monsters in the latest Kyoryuger were voiced by Deka Green from Dekaranger and Ninja Blue from Kakuranger. Since Endorf created them and he's voiced by Mega Blue I hope there's some running theme where all his monsters are voiced by former sentai alumni.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
So Kyoryu Silver is most definitely Torin I think. He's even doing his snapping finger pose in the role call. Sorry Mr Daigo.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Almost as good is the fight where they just used ZO footage and hoped nobody would notice.

I think it was literally the first monster they used. They decided to use the footage that was clearly another Rider the first time they used a fight.

I know they used the monsters from Kamen Rider J as well. It's really amazing.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

God drat it. That guy knew how to do creepy really well but seemed like a nice guy off-set. :unsmith:

He was so fun on the net movies, especially the one with Kirihiko. He looked so happy to play a role with his wife :(

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I kinda like the rival thing going on with Black and Aigaron and I wish each of the main Kyoryugers had a rival

They sorta have a thing with Amy and Candelira as well as Souji and Luckyuro but it's not really an established rivalry. Just that they tend to fight those guys the most.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Megaforce did have that monster saying the rangers had beaten his cousin previously so I mean I guess that's better than nothing. It's still really lovely and them being lazy and not wanting to use another monster suit instead though.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I heard that the overall plot line was really weird in Megaforce, like Vrak "switches forms" or something when he hangs around the second set of baddies? And 15 is where Warstar is brought down, I assume that the Yuma Beasts are working for them or something?

Wait, 41 would be way deep into the Matrintis arc, how do they reconcile the fact that he's a half-cyborg dude?

Vrak so far has used his Yuma beast form on Earth as his "Earth Armor" aside from one episode where he fought in his Warstar form on Earth because it "protected him from the monster's attacks" or some vague excuse to use the sentai footage. Right now all of the footage with the robots is reshot stuff with Vrak in his Warstar form inside the robot base with Metal Alice while cutting out footage of Robogog. Vrak's cyborg form hasn't been used yet but *spoilers for episodes yet to air* will apparently be used after the Warstar ship is destroyed with him in it and is used to replace his Warstar form.

So it's all kinda convoluted and weird but it's fun to do something unique with his footage.

ImpAtom posted:

Bladerun's primary thing is that he is a giant prideful liar. He lies constantly about everything. He is bullshitting because that is what he does. He is the Messiah and so clearly he can't be a giant fuckup who got killed because he underestimated the UMA. He is not actually as awesome as he thinks he is but he will be hosed if he lets anyone else know that.

Bladerun at first glance looks like a Just As Planned mastermind but if you actually follow his arc through the show, it becomes clear he's doing a lot of bullshitting and rapidly adapting his plans on the fly every time they get hosed up. He's still a threat because he's pretty good at coming up with new plans but in the end he's really just a big overconfident liar.

This was always my biggest problem with Bladerun. I never saw him as amazing as he said he was and I thought the show was implying he was supposed to be that badass. The fact that he got killed by a giant giggling blob monster and his bigfoot BFF always made me roll my eyes when he came back and talked poo poo about everyone. Then that moment in his lair with the main villains showing up in spirit form to threaten him...just felt like it was cementing Bladerun as this amazing schemer. I like your view on it because I felt like that was the only way to make sense of his horseshit schemes, but then the show sort of went back and forth with him. But it was definitely a fun ride figuring out what Bladerun was up to regardless.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 10, 2013

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
You don't like obnoxious graphics overlaying Bouken Black's speech?! Clearly you're the enemy.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well I finally got around to watching Super Hero Wars Z. It was...well yeah it was less bad than the first, definitely. But still not really good. Maybe one day they'll make one that's actually good?

it's still distracting when Fourze and Meteor sound right and then Decade and OOO sound nothing like they should.

No joke? That was Gokai Silver's actor for Meteor's one line! He did so good I honestly thought it was a joke and they really did get Meteor's actor back. Red Buster did the voice over for Decade though and that...yeah that was off.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

RBX posted:

Glorious.

Kyoryuger has some of the best filler episodes imaginable. I don't think I've ever seen another sentai do the revived monster plot so well.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
How many Gaim subs are out there? Magenta and Nihon were the only ones I was aware of.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's not even attached to Dragon Caesar in that form, and it's just a breastplate on Daizyujin. How is that breastplate any different than FčnghuángRanger's belt?

Dairenou's sword is very heavy! I'd like to see you hold it!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
150 bucks for a wallet? How much do people in Japan get paid?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Does anyone know if they released the Decade musical stuff? I absolutely love Diend's song and was hoping I could find it somewhere without the audience.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

toomanyninjas posted:

I've heard good things about Maskman, so I'm giving it a try. The first two episodes felt kind of bland, though. How does it get later on?

While I really liked Jetman, I'm not much on pre-Zyu sentai because I like the sixth ranger dynamic. I know Maskman has that one-off-kinda-6th green ranger, so that's what got me thinking about watching it, but I know he's one and done.

Maskman gets a little better as it goes but Pre-Zyu Sentai has a distinct taste to it you have to get used to. Maskman is really solid from most all opinions so I'd say it's definitely worth sticking with. If Maskman isn't doing it for you you may want to try Flashman or Changeman instead to get into the 80's sentai spirit.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

It's not just Medusa and Phoenix - the entire show is an enormous failure reel on part of the villains. They actually end up making negative progress, because any time Haruto or Kousuke can't get to a Gate in time they just decide to save their own drat selves and become wizards. Then it turns out that was the plan all along and gently caress this show.

Honestly I thought Phoenix was the best character in the whole show until Beast showed up, at least he had an ounce of charisma (that wasn't laced with being absolutely terrible - just go away Shunpei), he was just stifled to hell and back by Medusa threatening to hurl him at Wiseman at even the slightest hint of insubordination.

The worst part is this is something Dragon outright tells Haruto earlier on, I think around the time he starts collecting Dragon Style upgrades, that if he relies too much on his inner Phantom's power then Dragon's gonna just consume him. Guess not!

What Dragon meant to say was "Keep feeding me and I'll become a super cool ax. Buy me kids at home!"

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I downloaded all of Sun Vulcan from Gao Soul Forever recently. I've heard it's an absolute treat to go through.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Apollove posted:

If we're still talking about Fourze can we talk about how COSMIC MIND is the best? :allears:

Cosmis Mind was such a great insert theme it blows my mind. It gets you so pumped for the big blue spaceman about to beat up stardust monsters. Just listen to it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9dStZP-rFE

I want a thread where we just gush about amazing tokusatsu music because holy poo poo I have an iPod filled with it.

I've been addicted to Kiva's entire soundtrack ever since I first heard Innocent Trap. Say what you want about that show but holy lord it did music right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kWI5Rjp3eA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOGFaH3W_qY

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 14, 2014

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
There's absolutely nothing wrong with TV-Nihon's Blade.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

If we're linking awesome MAD videos of tokusatsu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIH1txDk1u0

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Dexie posted:

Ramirez' key was in an earlier set.

Any guesses on what the secret key is?

Maybe Deboss himself? It's grouped with the Kyoryugers so maybe Torin?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Anyone who didn't grin ear to ear and sing along with the ending theme is the absolute opposite of brave. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Monathin posted:

Leangle is the worst secondary rider to appear in a Kamen Rider series, and I'm not sure anyone who's ever watched Blade (or tried to, thanks TV-N) will disagree with this.

Leangle is the worst character I can remember from any Rider series from recent memory. He's as big of a dick as Kaixa and you never know if it's because he's possessed or because he's just a poo poo. By the time he actually stops being evil 20 episodes too late, he's completely unable to keep up with the guys who were actually getting upgrades. Instead of trying to go Jack Form or something he just unseals the Elephant Undead who gets killed and Mutsuki's like "Well sorry bro's guess my toys aren't gonna sell."

• Locked thread