Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

If you liked pr then start with sentai. They are all self-contained apart from the recent anniversary season so it doesn't really matter where you start. Just pick something you like the look of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I got to watch SHTZ today. It felt a but too heavily weighted towards the Space Sheriff side, but it definitely benefited from not trying to cram in every hero. The story was less stupid this time around too. With my level of Japanese, there were some details I missed but the jist of why certain heroes were fighting and what was at stake was a clear step up from what's been in many recent shows/films. Not to say it was great, but better than SHT's insanity.

It has a fantastic finishing move too. Wizard's 'Dragon Claw' Rider Kick, done by Kyouryuujin... in space.

Unfortunately, it does drag on a bit in parts and the best part of many of the latter fight scenes were the introductions/roll calls. The actual choreography lacked creativity considering the characters they chose to include.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Starting with Kabuto is fine as hell. It's what I started with and I'm still here, however many years and series later. I think I've said in his thread before but the best advice is to go with whatever looks good and sounds interesting to you. I mean, if I had tried starting with agito I would've given up on the franchise after one episode since the first ep was so boring.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Decade was a hot mess for sure. It was quite fun to watch though and it had more variety in stories and action sequences than most single shows (a benefit of the anniversary gimmick) but it's storyline made no real sense and it was oddly disrespectful of the seasons it was meant to be honouring. I don't regret watching it though. If you give up on expecting a coherent storyline, it's not so bad.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Minor nitpick but the Zabee had four users I think. The three you've mentioned and Mishima. Still nowhere near Delta levels though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Not at all. In fact, there's double the normal amount of translation. That's what the problem is.

Japanese-->Chinese-->English

That's why character and attack names especially get so messed up so frequently but also why the grammar can be quite bad.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

It does say at the bottom: 'Create by Akemi Modxtoy.com'.

Modxtoy is a Thai forum where a lot of Toku magazine scans get posted.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, I'm all ready for some train sentai. As much as a dinosaur theme seemed like a safe move, Toei really knocked Kyoryuger out of the park.

Well, theme-wise dinosaurs probably were a safe move and even though it's not been done in Sentai before, trains can be considered a relatively safe bet amongst kids too. Of course, that thankfully doesn't mean that Toei will be lazy with the actual show.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Those are usually limited to the more mystic/magic seasons and it's a probably a safe bet that this'll be a tech season.

I'd love to see a tech-cockpit that looked like it was actually controlling the mecha. The magical ones tend to be easier to believe even if they're ostensibly less realistic.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 27, 2013

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Not really, not for the combined/humanoid modes anyway.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Potsticker posted:

I actually liked Gokaiger's silly wheel-spinning. v:downs:v
Better than standing around making vaguely-related motions on pedestals.

I dunno, I can at least understand how 'vaguely-related motions' translates to the actual movements of the robots. With stuff like Go-Busters and Boukenger, you have simple movements of basic looking controls somehow turning into complex and fine movements for the mecha. It's less 'believable' to me so I'm okay with the black void (or the Shinkenger/Dairanger 'mental control' approach). Gokaiger's was terrible though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

AzraelNewtype posted:

"You'll be surprised when you hear" is actually less wrong than our translation, for reasons (kiite odoroke was treated as a shortened version of the line in the OP, because they guessed backward about which would get more play), it's just terribly worded.

What is the OT translation of that line?

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 16, 2013

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, it seems that the gimmick is that the colours aren't 'set' as such. You'll know who is who at any one time by the number designation rather than the colour of the suit.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Dekaranger had a similar 'all giants are robots piloted by human-sized monsters' thing whilst keeping the MOTW format.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

RBX posted:

The funny thing about Koyu and Gaim is i'll put off watching the episodes thinking they won't be about much but every time I always enjoy them so much I don't know why I waited to watch them.

Gaim has really been a revelation so far. I'm so glad they dropped the two episode arcs and 'troubled citizen of the week' format for this show. It's really been free to go wherever it likes episode-to-episode and it's more interesting to watch week-in-week-out because of it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

And that, I find great. Less MotW, more actual characterization is never something I can be against.

Exactly. Though in the end I suppose I'll be expecting a clearer over-arching threat, I'm hoping to see it develop or be revealed 'naturally'. For both Fourze and Wizard, the end-boss being obvious from the start was a weak-point of both series.

Potsticker posted:

As much as I really thought it wouldn't, at the end of the day Gaim's suits and terrible belt do bug me enough to effect enjoyment of the show. Micchy and Kaito are pretty great, and Kouta has some great expressions/reactions to things and though I still think the first couple episodes were a little weak, overall it has a decent plot and likable characters.

I'm not a fan of the belts (too many steps to henshin, and the movements look awkward) but the base suits of Gaim, Baron and Zangetsu have really grown on me since seeing them in action. Ryugen looked cool as hell to me right from the start. The circular motif plus the green/purple colour scheme work really well. The undersuit looks pretty good on its own too.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 24, 2013

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Apollove posted:

Land, Sea, Air?

Theme and toy gimmick right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQT00ZSVzcg

I suppose it's basically the same as Gaim though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHZaFvL7Q2M

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Just watched Showa Rider vs. Heisei Rider: Kamen Rider Taisen featuring Super Sentai at a cinema in Tokyo. The end is hilarious.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Fooley posted:

This is something I need to see, name? I haven't watched a jdrama without karate bugmen since loving Densha.

I don't know that one but you might want to see the recent 'Lost Days'. It's a suspense drama featuring actors of Kiva, Joker and Meteor.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

There's always a connection. In Den-O the imagin were the main 'weapons' whilst also being the villains. I don't recall all of Fourze's details but weren't they linked through the switch system/cosmic energy? I think modern Kamen Rider's usually about using the enemy's power against them rather being literally created by them.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I feel like the super modes have been spinning downwards in quality since the time of SWAT Mode, Legend Magiranger and Super Gekiranger. Don't know what's happened to Toei/Plex since then.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Has a return to the 2-part format been confirmed somewhere? It seems that's where the show's headed.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The most notable one is probably Dynaman.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Wouldn't the belt recognise Chaser's human form if it was the case? There's obviously a connection, but I'll be surprised if it's as simple as Chaser=Proto-Drive.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, the tire thing was just a bit of self-parody.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Stallion Cabana posted:

White looks like a girl to me? Are they? Would be cool if so.

Drive was good this week, I kind of hope Type Technique does some stupid Autoshutdown on a Roidmude and like shuts it down by breaking it's CPU or something. I feel like 'Master of Machines' plus their mechanical base means something like that could happen. Basically I want him to Vulcun Nerve Pinch a monster to death.

I think one of the magazine scans showed pretty much exactly that.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Samba De Amigo posted:

Well I guess if the [url=http://www.asahi.com/and_M/interest/entertainment/Cfettp11412030051.html]announcement news for Drive from Taisen Full Throttle....

which if I had to guess will probably make him the serious type.

The article literally says 'the exact opposite' of that last bit.

(paraphrased)
Kamen Rider Mach is Ririko's younger brother. He has a cheery disposition, the exact opposite of his sister. After graduating from high school, he'd been traveling the world as a freelance cameraman, but has just urgently returned to Japan.

He'll be appearing in the movie and then debuts in the series in December 28th's episode 12. The episode is titled 'Where did the white Kamen Rider come from?'

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Decade is fully worth watching for the aesthetic. It's story is a mess, but there are many, many scenes and sequences that are worth watching. Some might need a bit of context (or at least an understanding of the different forms), but it's a fun watch all-round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsTqRlIRiYk

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Nothing truly relevant happened in that film, it was a spoken reference and some images. It wasn't worth referencing again literally over 30 years later.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

So, I get the impression that you guys think that ToQ is one of the worst sentai out there, but what are the best? I know about Zyuuranger, and I did enjoy kakurenger but then I really am enjoying ToQger too. So, what are considered the Best and Worst Sentai?

Considered Best:
All of them

Considered Worst:
All of them

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I think I could do a 'better' job of subbing certain shows than TVN but the risk of receiving similar levels of ungratefulness kills any motivation. Even doing something as 'bad' as TVN takes a lot of time and effort and this fandom (at least, as represented by SA, 4chan's /m/ board, RB and HJU), really doesn't deserve it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

...Good for you?

Do you want a medal for your apathy towards a fanbase of nerds and hypothetical subbing of shows?

Like was this just a reason to make fun of us or

I'm not making fun of anyone. Just expressing my view point, same as you did. I just feel like there might be more people willing to sub more shows if there was more appreciation for the effort it takes. As it is, subbers get skewered for not attaining perfection. That's not limited to TVN and it's also not limited just to translation quality but obviously they're the most common things to hear about. The effort just isn't worth it.

quote:

Oh wait you mean the fans don't deserve half-translated nonsense that takes a week to come out and the half that is translated is awful stilted poo poo that doesn't actual communicate what is being sad?

You're critical of them taking a week to release stuff?

This is also part of the 'ungratefulness' I'm complaining about.

quote:

I think there's a difference between having this attitude towards what's literally the largest and most influential toku fansubbing group on the internet, and having it towards a one-man basement operation.

TVN gets the bulk of it, but even on those rare occasions where smaller operations release movies or specials or whatever, you'll still see judgmental posts (admittedly mainly on 4chan from what I've seen) with people nitpicking and whining about word choices or naming schemes.

It's in really stark contrast to what I see for the J-Drama fandom (at least as is represented by D-addicts), where imperfections/mistakes may be pointed out, but not with the negativity so common amongst Toku fans.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

EDIT:

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 7, 2015

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

OK, I probably did jump on the speed thing since it's such a common complaint when it comes to fansubs.

But anyway, my main point doesn't change and, to be clear, it's not limited to TVN (though of course they are the focus).

The current attitude of 'Well, OT are here and they're better than TVN so "gently caress them".' is exactly the problem. So yes, remembering that we are all fans of the same (limited range) of shows and that no-one is getting paid for the work they put in, some appreciation (or at least, less negativity) for the work that goes into it would be grand. This isn't a complex issue, just common courtesy. The fandom wouldn't be as big as it is without the effort of fansubbers (TVN, OT, GUIS, AESIR, et. al).

If you don't trust the quality of a subber's translations or like the quality of their encodes, that's one thing and that's understandable. However, there's no need to express as much hate and exaggerate as much as people in this very thread (and some other boards) do every time TVN is brought up.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wow, so I have OT to blame for all the lovely posters on /m/? AZ! I'M CALLING YOU OUT BUDDY!

No seriously DiscoJ your point is stupid and dumb and banal at best and you should really just drop it instead of posting things like "Yes I was actually wrong and didn't understand what any of you said, so let me just skip a bunch of posts then make the same point in different words!"

Also, don't care what you're doing but if you're doing it out of love of the craft or pure gumption or whatever it still doesn't make lovely work good or not mock worthy. Hope that helps.

What did I skip? My focus has always been on the attitude of the fandom in relation to fansubbers. I've been 'defending' TVN's (and everyone else's) effort, not their quality.

Anyway, I'll probably be back to restate my point in different words yet again in another few weeks or months when the 'what show/subs should I watch' discussion devolves into sub-chat again.

But great to see TVN's leadership continuing not to help matters with their equally bad attitude though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Solaris Knight posted:

I've never seen Kiva, but Ixa owns, and it's a huge shame nobody's made more stuff with him.

Yeah, I was quite disappointed when Rising IXA started appearing. The normal (white) IXA suit was amazing but the Rising upgrade really wasn't an improvement.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

It's possible. I think I've seen it somewhere in Tokyo before. A lot of family homes here are custom-built and homeowners are free to choose what kind of mail-box they want.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

That happening occasionally is better than it just not being used at all. It could be a counterpoint/mirror of medic (since he can apparently directly reprogram stuff, right?)

Also I'd just like to see more Robocop/Robo-Rider type scenes with the gun.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Please try to remember Ninninger is running a week behind.

It's likely Toei intended the special to air on March 22nd (the weekend of the latest SHT's release), placing it after UFOmaru's originally scheduled debut (which is where it did air) but before the current storyline in Drive.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 1, 2015

• Locked thread