Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Bosushi! posted:

Copyright and Trademark violations are still violations regardless if they're for profit or not.

Half-life and Skyrim mods available freely for download can be Cease and Desisted if they contain copyrighted or trademarked materials.

This used to be called "Foxing", after the time Fox c&d'd an Aliens Quake mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Violence! is Greg Costikyan, Powerkill is John Tynes, and New Style was the best thing.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 6, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lemures are ghosts.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

Has anyone else seen the videos of Microsoft Surface (now called pixelsense) gaming?
It was a smallish table and the entire surface was a touchscreen, and an optical reader. If you placed a game piece on the table it sensed it's location and could see the bottom of the piece, so if you rolled dice, it could read them and record the results, or if you placed scrabble tiles it would automatically tally the score for you. I would love to see this kind of exploration of tabletop gaming, the technology augmenting and streamlining gameplay instead of replacing it. With LCD displays getting cheaper and cheaper having an entire tabletop that's one big display doesn't seem too far off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVL6GOCGi8

It's pretty neat.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I have a copy of Underworld! It's pretty hilariously amateurish and badly edited- there's numerous places where the art just obscures the text and somehow nobody caught it before going to print.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dunno where else to post this, but it looks like Deadlands is getting a TV show. Be funny if they hyped it up and then just showed Brisco County, Jr reruns.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I obviously don't hang around TG enough, what's a whizzard?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hah! Right, of course.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

So remember Fyxt? Have you ever wondered what the actual mindset is behind making games like that is?

Look at that.

loving look at it.

That is the mindset of a depressingly large number of people who try to self-publish.

It is fantasyheartbreaker.txt.

I still can't get over how innovative, original, and groundbreaking they seem to think making a universal rules system is. How completely disconnected from the hobby do you have to be for that to happen?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I feel like everything that needs to be said about D20 Call of Cthulhu can be derived from the fact that the names on the cover are Monte Cook and John Tynes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

What I was getting at was that the rules were dumb and pointless but the setting and Mythosy bits were loving great because Monte Cook is D20 as gently caress and John Tynes owns bones.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The weirdest thing about Varg's RPG is that he's apparently into D&D 3. I would've pegged him as the groggiest AD&D player.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

As an unrelated aside, it's kinda hilarious when a game restricts a class or school of magic to female characters for fluff reasons and ur-nerds throw shitfits about why they can't play a special snowflake male counterpart.

Vampire has the Daughters of Cacophony, an all-female bloodline. People whined about it and came up with the name "Sons of Discord" for male members, so eventually one of the Revised books mentioned that the Daughters had recently murdered all non-female members of the bloodline.. And oh, the crying...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

GenCon only wants to talk to developers who make games. Seems fair to me.

Come now, Underworld is only like fifteen years old!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Meanwhile some folks are trying to head off any discussion of a boycott with the spurious argument that you will harm progressive businesses. This misunderstands the nature of boycotts. *All* effective boycotts inconvenience perfectly decent people. All of them. All boycotts *should* do this, because the die hard bigots won't be swayed by them. Boycotts work when progressives and moderates caught up in them decide they're done with the assholes in their midst. They either put pressure on the assholes, or steamroll them with a solution that doesn't require their consent.

Every protest action that consists of anything other than protesting quietly in a place where the protestors can be neither seen nor heard has idiots insisting that it's bad because it inconveniences or annoys people. I'd like to think that most people understand that said idiots are, well, idiots.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

A Gen Con boycott accomplishes nothing. Salesforce, a multi billion dollar already canceled expansion plans as a result of this law. They have a larger economic impact than Gen Con ever could. Destroying Gen Con is not going to change their minds. These are the kind of republicans that thrive on martyrdom and conflict and this just feeds their persecution complex. Support legal challenges to the law and donate to politicians that will run against Mike Pence et all in the next election cycle. Support Indy businesses that oppose the law.

Mike Pence probably wants Gen Con to leave the state anyway, since we're all Satanist freaks to him.

I'm not saying that boycotting GenCon is good or right or that it matters, just that "but it'll inconvenience innocent people!" is a dumb response to boycott calls.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I love reading this thread but I always feel like I need some TG fuckup wiki to keep track of everybody and how they're a fuckup.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 6, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

It's much more difficult for Patreon to bomb out, partly because it's an ongoing arrangement, and partly because unless you're specifically pledging things based on your numbers, you don't actually have to deliver anything at all extra - patreon is basically a way for people to pay you a salary for doing what they like you doing, which kickstarter specifically isn't. They're almost diametrically opposed in their goal and business model.

Aaron Diaz promised that if his Patreon hit 4K/month he'd put out a comic every two weeks, but that turned out to be every bit the lie that every other time he's claimed he was going to start regularly putting out comics was.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

$15 /month x 12 months = $180/year

1 $40 book w/character options for the class I like because I'm a cheapskate and no way will I buy everything Wizards puts out = $40/year

4 $40 books because that's all Wizards puts out for players in a good year = $160/year

I will admit to being out of touch with D&D, but are you saying Wizards only puts out 4 D&D books a year? Is Onyx Path, which is literally three people managing a swarm of freelancers and selling entirely online, outproducing WotC?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Tendales posted:

Currently, Wizards doesn't make ANY D&D books. Except for the core three books, every D&D 5e product has been outsourced, as far as I can tell.

So it's the OGL era again, only with WotC's share of the market being even smaller?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Games Day has no actual games being played at it

Soooooo what exactly do they DO at this "Games Day"?

e: Do I understand correctly that Paizo has pretty much eaten WotC's lunch with Pathfinder?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

Sell things.

Okay, but how does this differ from every other day?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

They literally view it as giving up. When they get a game, they stop trying in the model/tabletop area for that stuff. It took years for Blood Angels to become a thing in tabletop after Dawn of War. Look above in the thread for Blood Bowl information. Games Workshop hates and fears competition from its own video games. It's amazing.

This blows my mind. "Our new video game includes a new Space Marine chapter who are super-badass! Instead of selling people who played the game and want to get into the minis game an army that is the exact army they just spent several hours being introduced to as super-cool, let's just assume that the video game fulfills their 40K needs and people who play it won't want to consume any other 40K products!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

This link should work.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Despite all of Palladium's stumbles and mistakes, I don't see why he shouldn't get in.

Also, Heroclix? In YOOL 2015? Did they seriously improve the rules or something? (That doesn't seem likely, but I haven't paid attention.)

I know a dude who runs a Heroclix league out in LA, so apparently there's still a market.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

They sell D&D at Target now, and it's not like they just give away shelf space for shits and giggles.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Dr. Tough posted:

Where do you get that idea from? Every White Wolf player I've ever met was also a D&D player.

I've known several people, meanwhile, who thought Vampire was pretty cool but wanted nothing to do with D&D or whatever, or who played Vampire and it just never occurred to them to play something else when they stopped going to the local game.

Leperflesh posted:

Gatekeeping apparently didn't prevent Vampire from being big, though. So with enough appeal and a good enough system, gatekeeping could be overcome, at least in an pre/early Web environment.

I wonder if there's some RPG-savant who is, even now, penning the brilliant game system that will pull in and encapsulate one of these significantly-sized subcultures:

- Bronies
- Gun Nuts
- Clothing Fashionistas (includes the high fashion people, and the thrift store scourers)
- R&B Gangstas
- Reality TV Enthusiasts
- Sports Fans
- Automotive enthusiasts (sub-sub cultures include ricers, mopars, hot rodders, drifters, slammers, NASCAR fans, and those people who accumulate dozens of rusting-out hulks of old classic cars on their trash-strewn properies to watch them slowly disintigrate into rusty patches of dirt on the ground over a period of decades)
- Tea Partiers
- Ravers
- Potheads
- Bitcoiners
- Coupon addicts
- etc.

You're mostly listing fans of activities or objects, whereas what Vampire tapped into was a scene based on aesthetics. That includes music, clothing, and, I think most importantly for an RPG to draw in a subculture, fictional narratives, be they Poppy Brite, Anne Rice, Brian Lumley, or Bram Stoker. I'm not sure what the RPG that draws in Tea Partiers looks like, since RaHoWa was a miserable failure that went nowhere.

...of course it also helps that the worst-kept secret of the gothic-industrial scene is that it is chock-full of nerds.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kibner posted:

How to Host a Murder was really fun and I need to start a new game up with some friends sometime soon.

It's amazing how easy it is to get people to larp.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

moths posted:

How big were 80's assassin games like SJG's Killer? I mean the ones where you get a friend's name and someone else gets yours, then you tried to shoot them with a toy gun before someone shot you.

Judging by terrible horror movies, I'd guess they were played on every college campus... but I feel like they're over-represented there. And then real gun violence probably made that game a lot less practical.

It's not just an 80s thing. I ran a game of Humans vs Zombies after the creators posted about it in GBS back in 2007. We had around 500 players from a huge variety of campus subcultures and scenes- plenty of nerds, sure, but also a lot of athletes and frat dudes, and even a group of ROTC folks. Watching a bunch of people who would have otherwise probably not really associated working together and socializing was immensely rewarding.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Man, I'm annoyed I didn't hear about Blades in the Dark till after the KS ended. It looks so cool!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I really feel for WHFB fans- having a game you're so invested in (both emotionally and financially) unceremoniously taken out back and shot to be replaced with, frankly, poo poo, well, that's got to be pretty awful.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Does Jolly have a good reputation? I always loved KODT.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I have Wizards sitting in a box somewhere. I remember it having a pretty crap system and a solo adventure that seemed like the only use you'd ever get out of it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Harebrained's Shadowrun Returns KS was a huge success, they delivered both the first game and the much-improved second campaign, and after another successful Kickstarter the third campaign (Shadowrun: Hong Kong) is due out next month. It's one of the better Kickstarter success stories.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

I've heard bad things about them if I remember correctly from within game developers so its not exactly like they have a pristine record either.

Obviously I can't speak top their business practices, but from the consumer end of things they've done exactly what their Kickstarter said they would and delivered quality product.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Funny thing in my experience with wod edition wars: I never really see it online or irl.
Occasional "I like X more than Y" in both directions, sure. The most common thing I see is people who like both saying stuff more like "I miss A and B, but I'm glad C got changed."

For an edition war that's gotta be the most low key and civil one I've ever seen.

I've met some folks who are just absolutely vehement about it, usually OWOD fans who are mad at NWOD for existing, but on the whole the tone tends to be "yeah, I don't really like [edition] but it's cool if you do."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

The main problem I personally had with the nWoD stuff was less about the mechanics as much as it felt like all the cool cosmic high-stakes inherent conflicts in Werewolf and Mage were thrown out and replaced them with "I guess you're all infighting or something?"

I really love the millennial terror of Vampire, the Final Nights, the sense that yes, thinking in terms of centuries has been the best move in the previous thousands of years but it's a popular and prevalent opinion that the end is really loving nigh. Requiem feels kind of sedate by comparison since it lacks that crazy tension, and indeed a lot of the internal conflicts (the Camarilla mass-murdering thin bloods, the existence of the Sabbat) don't make sense absent it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Quarex posted:

I do feel like "tryhard" is the insult of choice from the people incapable of achieving whatever the perceived tryhard is good at.

"Tryhard" refers specifically to somebody who isn't good at something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

senrath posted:

I've only ever seen it used in the context of "You only won because I wasn't trying like some kinda loser would."

I've always seen it used to mean a person who isn't good at something and is trying to compensate by copping an attitude about it and cargo culting the actions of those who are good- somebody who's trying too hard. The classic example would be wannabe hardcore raiders in WoW who spend ridiculous amounts of time each week raiding and never get anywhere because they're trying to emulate the high-end players without understanding why those players are successful or why they organize themselves like they do. (But they've heard of the leaders of certain such groups being assholes to their group, so they're damned sure going to scream at everybody as soon they wipe, and the group's going to take it because they think it's how you succeed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

How do you not just straight-up get sued for this?

• Locked thread