Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

stoutfish posted:

So what can you possibly do then, in this accursed titty model world?

Basically, make a MLP wargame and you'd get the ultimate nerdy hobby gender equalizer.

(sorry!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

So I don't read SA much anymore and I missed this while it was new, but I was the one judging that contest, and, though it was a while ago, I distinctly remember that the reason I didn't respond to your PM was because it was 6 paragraphs of rambling where you started talking about hockey for god-knows-what reason.

I knew i didn't just dream it!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

I wish I still had that PM though so I could see what the gently caress I said about hockey. That sounds hilarious - I must've been pretty worked up. If you've still got it, I'd enjoy it if you'd PM it back to me so I can be reminded of why I should never post while angry.

Well, I remember your pm being shared around on IRC when it happened so somebody might have it

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

IRC sounds like a real cool place

it was on synirc but that's all I remember

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Nobody, not one person, who espouses this notion that there's this untapped market of potential elfgamers waiting to be catered to, has any sort of actual, concrete idea for how to make it work. It's like listening to a room full of Idea Guys talk about how they have the perfect concept for a hit new webcomic that'll take the world by storm aaaaaany day now.

It's a mega-man sprite comic, tyvm.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I think that, after Bob&George ended, there's kind of an untapped market for MM9 and MM10 jokes. Just putting that out there.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
If the Witcher Game is using Fuzion...
And Cyberpunk 2020 is using Fuzion...

THAT MEANS CROSSOVERS!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I guess between this and Beast the Primordial goons are all set for rpgs in 2016!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly though, if even half the games out there had this kind of audacity, this industry would be a recognized art form already.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The point is, no matter what sort of statement they're trying to make and no matter how subversive they're think they're being in doing so, it's just a puerile, ugly vehicle for their fetishes.

Well, what if my fetish is intersectionality, hm? :colbert:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

It's not as blatant as Tournament of Rapists or similar such poo poo but if a community had a lot of women and/or feminists there would probably be some shitlord versions of those willing to defend any old thing that adhered vaguely to their vision of how the hobby's norms should operate.

People give free passes to a lot of things, as long as the person saying/doing those things is on "their team."

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but if your hobby/genre/profession/whatever lacks a feminist presence (or any other principle, really), people can be willing to put ideological blinders on for the sake of accepting it, even if it's only nominally feminist, or even not actually feminist at all after a cursory inspection.

I'm not sure that I buy that the game "isn't really feminist" when it's a game about witches on broomsticks literally fighting the malevolent forces of the Serpent patriarchy. And I mean, this is literally the foreword:

That's not to say it does a very good job with its premise: it's every bit as ham-handed and preachy with its feminism as Hoard the Spoils is with its libertarianism, and both are like Chick tracts in terms of turning people away from what it's advocating. And that's even without the problems on that one section on transgender characters causes or the fetish stuff.

This game will appeal to some people though, provided they're the sort of person who'll uncritically embrace almost anything that panders to their beliefs.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

The frustrating thing is when Thing I Don't Like comes from a place of misinformation since then you have to weigh letting them spread said misinformation or coming across as the person who just can't let people have their own Opinions, maaaan

I think that, just as people have the right to state their belief that they do not like the thing, other people have the right to say that they disagree. However, this does not work at all in communities that cannot handle poo poo as mundane as disagreement, which is why you have things like the unique phenomenon of + and - threads in rpg.net, or like when people on SA can't or don't want to engage with other people's arguments and just settle for attacking the poster by spending money to fill their avatars with ad-hominems, in the hopes of poisoning their posts by association. These are not good things, at all, but you are probably still best off embracing them whole-heartedly, in the hopes that you can one day be the one shutting out other people's opinions instead of it happening to you. Anyway that is my opinion. \_:shobon:_/

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NutritiousSnack posted:

I legit don't care about the politics of this at all, and think the "Mah FREE SPEECH" and talk about all evil strawman political enemies who dare strawman their all evil political enemies sums up why, but why is there such a thing as erotic role playing paper and pen tabletop games? Movies, books, and even video games make sense 100%. All private things, you can enjoy on your own. I agree concept of erotic games and other couples tools, because hey sharing your sexuality with your partner and improving or adding spice to your sex life. I understand talking about fellow enthusiasts of your fetish/kink/sexual preference and building a community. Everyone from the LGBT communities to penthouse to BSDM people.

Why in indulge in your fetish amidst a normal group of friends? Who gets this? Why is this a thing? It's a not a niche because it doesn't fulfill any need or want.

I guess it'd appeal to people who like ERP by chat or pbp, but yeah popping a boner with friends and family near you is probably among the worst times to pop a boner.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kavak posted:

I don't think anyone actually plays those erotic RPGs, it's just a very expensive form of masturbation. If there's a ruleset near the ERP, it's D&D or World of Darkness.

It's indisputably Exalted :colbert:

(or more seriously probably Monsterhearts or some other Powered by the Apocalypse games might work)

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wow, that's some hyperbole.

Let me tell you about Monster Hearts Quest, on /tg/

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, that strikes me as more /tg/ than Monster Hearts itself.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I'm just saying that bad groups can make it bad.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Some dipshit figured out my email from my username and used it to bitch about my posting and I'm still pretty mad about that :mad:

There are plenty of places to verbally abuse others, in designated, public venues.

Anyway, intensely curious as to what caused Wyrd fans' beef with her.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It's like, going against the prevailing consensus of a community means you will get poo poo on a great deal, by that community.

What do you think, bongwizzard???

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

if you were a judge or juror in a court of law then yes the burden of proof is on the defendant (though actually proving sexual violence isn't particularly easy), but unless you're like, i don't know, incredibly stupid or something, you surely can understand that Events take place in a World which hosts Societies, and that we currently do not exist in a Society which values the sexual health or physical, economic, or mental well-being of women particularly highly esp in male dominated institutions. this makes it very difficult to actually come forward when these things happen because women (as well as gay men) see the immediate skepticism both by these institutions but people outside of them for a crime which is both difficult to prove happened and not strongly pursued much of the time. it's Irresponsible for us as people who want to see a more verdant and kind world to contribute to that culture of fear. again this is different if youre literally the person deciding whether or not to subject a potentially innocent individual to the American Prison Industrial Complex, a fate that no one should have to endure tbqh, but we arent in that situation

I thought the burdern of proof was on the accuser

Or is that only an American thing, idk

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

that's actually what i meant, sorry

oh ok, no big deal

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
This thread raises a lot of good questions about what a company can do when one consumer of their products harasses a fellow consumer of the same products.

Unfortunately it really seems that the answer is "not very much at all"? I mean they can post about how harassment is bad and only lovely people do it while linking to their Code of Conduct again, but that's already been done. Given that the post included Wyrd's phone number, I'm really not sure what calling them up is supposed to accomplish.

"Hello, I would like to inform you that a guy buying your miniatures is harassing a girl who also buys your miniatures, step in and do something?" They don't know who the harassers in question are, even if they did know who it is it isn't an MMO or a forum where you can just ban an offender's account, and the only suggestion given to them is to tell them to support and believe women and POCs.

And the latter essentially amounts to them reposting the stuff from Gravy Train Robber's post until people get the message, I guess, because what the gently caress else are they supposed to do?

If the harassment is coming from Wyrd employees, they can and should be fired, but from the sound of his post Caroland has no way to follow up from his end. I mean, most of the criticism here comes from the tone of Caroland's post, more than anything else.

I guess what they could do, from a public relations standpoint, is just say they're addressing this, hire more women and POC for their company, and then make lots of noise about how this is a big new step for Wyrd in addressing the issues of the hobby. It'll at least help to make people feel good, even if it still leaves them in precisely the same position as before.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

They could ban people that are known harassers, and stores that are permissive with harassment, from hosting Malifaux organized play. Even just pledging to do so would have an effect without having to follow through.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that not already the case if their PR statements are any indication?

quote:

It is because of this that we do not tolerate or condone any behavior that harasses, makes uncomfortable, insults, or otherwise diminishes another person. We don't tolerate it within our company, and we don't tolerate it within our community.

We don't believe in words without actions, though. Our forum rules are intended to ensure users can be comfortable within the community. Our Code of Conduct for our Henchmen ensures that they understand the standards of behavior we expect from them.

And if you, as a community member, see behavior that harasses another person, we hope that you'll step up and help to make your local community better. If there is a problem with a Henchman, please let us know immediately so steps can be taken to enforce our Code of Conduct.

I mean, there's no way for me to see if they'll actually follow through with this, but they've deffo made the right noises even if they don't take the right actions.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think the really forced foreshadowing part 2's villain counts as bad writing no matter how you cut it. I mean I like Irenicus and enjoy having more scenes for him, but taking a guy whose introduction was supposed to be a surprise and making him show up in prequels is wrong.

Having Minsc say "Actually it's about ethics in heroic adventuring" and letting the line be bugged so it plays WAY more often than intended is extremely good, cool, and not at all annoying.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I can't tell if that's a joke or not.

I can't even determine the precise point of that line and why Minsc of all characters would be the one saying it, so welcome aboard.

Serf posted:

If it annoys the people it is intended to annoy, I say play it all the time.

Sure but, why imply that the flagship character of your franchise is in fact one of those people???

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

The line has been used ironically by people who aren't shitstains pretty much ever since the shitstain crowd first used it unironically.

The thing is, Minsc is probably not someone who is capable of irony. Or even anything remotely approaching sarcasm.

Serf posted:

Yeah, it seems like the joke is that Minsc is dumb. Much like the people who inspired the joke.

Yeah, but he's also Chaotic Good, ultra-nice, and probably the most well-known character in a well-regarded franchise, so it's kind of giving me mixed messages here.

I'm willing to accept that this is just an example of piss-poor writing rather than any sort of malice, if only because that same writing quality was maintained throughout most of the enhanced editions and probably the original Baldur's Gate as well, if I'm feeling uncharitable.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Scyther posted:

You are right, in order for something to be considered "the weak point" in the writing, there would have to be strong points somewhere in the writing.

It's basically filler content, and it offers up nothing that modders haven't already done better :smith:

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 6, 2016

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

Standard evil SJW fare, really, they're just worded in such a way that I really want to momentarily abandon my normally pacific nature, reach through the screen, grab them by the hair and beat then on their keyboard until I hear something that isn't the computer break.

That sucks because there's plenty to criticize besides that (the bugs, the poor writing in general, the broken multiplayer (again), the fact that it breaks all the mods for the EE's of BG1 and BG2) but Beamdog really won't be paying attention to those.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The devs have released two patches in as many days to make bugfixes, though?

I'm still waiting for a few more patches before I even think of purchasing it.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, it's real dumb to have Minsc have a single line you get from clicking on him a bunch, not at all like the lovely gnome who quotes the Simpsons. Come the gently caress on. You're giving the rest of Baldur's Gate a pass because you were, like, 14 when you played it. His line is no better or no worse then any of the other dumb things in that game.

No, no. Like I said, Minsc says it on his own, and if Beamdog is to be believed it's also bugged so he says it very often. It's not one of those funny quotes they say only if you click them enough times.

Baldur's Gate 1 was always lovely and gratuitous with its references, but at least it didn't try to paint the NPC synonymous with the franchise as a fedora-tipper or w/e. At least give it to that one evil aligned bard from BG1 whose name I never bothered to recall. Eldoth?

quote:

Unsurprisingly it's the same people who got real angry at Blizzard for taking out a pointless rear end shot in one of their games, because I guess censorship only counts when blah blah blah.

They took it out and replaced it with an actual pin-up pose that also includes her butt, so I have no idea why Blizzard even bothered in the first place.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Because it was never about "oh no she has an rear end," which is what the robocops all got into a frenzy about, because they're stupid as hell. It was about the pose not fitting the character. Lo and behold the new pose does.

When I read the post about it, the complaint was that the rear end-shot reduced a "spunky, fun character" to a sex object, and being sexualized didn't make sense for Tracer.

So it's solved by putting her into a slightly different pose that still shows off her rear end? :psyduck:

Anyway the controversy over the pose always sounded silly and I'll just end by saying that I also think the line for Minsc does not fit the character at all, hence my bitching about Beamdog's quality as writers.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Good news: in response to all the complaints, Beamdog decided to change some things.

Specifically, they decided she needed a bigger and more important role.

(Oh and I guess they removed the Minsc quote?)

Good.

The former actually gives the character a reason to exist beyond stating her gender and existence, while the latter was incompetent and did not fit the character :colbert:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

People who have weird toxic opinions are less willing to shell out 10bux for the privilege of posting on a web forum?

Oh my no

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Everblight posted:

I hope the TG community never stops using"feeeemales" because I always read that word like a Ferengi is saying it and I smile a little on the inside

I think it's extremely good fun to hammer otherwise decent people for using a specific word that I can find problematic.

Like any time someone fucks up slightly and uses the word female like "harassment of female developers needs to stop" I just inflate like a puffer-fish, ignore the actual intent, and just start lecturing them on why they shouldn't treat women like a science experiment.

It is a powerful, warm feeling.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Defensive much?

Why? I think it's a pretty positive thing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

pls post video of yourself inflating like a puffer fish and ideally rolling over a patriarch with your poisoned spines

I strive for that every day, with my posting.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

That would explain why your posts smell so fishy! ho ho ho

D:<

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gnome7 posted:

The chalk writings thing didn't trigger anyone or lead to counseling of any kind. No one involved went to counseling, nobody involved used the phrases "safe space," "triggered," or "traumatized." All that happened was some students protested pro-Trump vandalism at their school. Everything else was added in later by the reporters, and the exaggerated reports blew up on social media.

So no, it really wasn't 'pretty bad.' It was blown out of proportion by sensationalist journalists wanting to make crybabies out of reasonable adults just because they're young millennials.

Well, even if it is all exaggerated, what's important is that it started a conversation.

rkajdi posted:

You can say that, but the number of gamer guys I see using "females" as the way to describe a woman in common conversation that also have highly regressive ideas about how to treat women is too high to ignore completely. Though I'd think it's just that there are a lot of gamers in the armed forces, and that's the common lingo for women there rather than anything else.

Yeah. Personally, I'd look askance at anyone who says "female."

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Gazetteer posted:

The criticism is generally about using "female" as a noun, not with saying something like "female developer" while using it as an adjective, right. I'm sure you could find someone who has the view you're mocking here, but, like... your example is not particularly relevant to what you're quoting.

Oh, that honestly makes the whole thing sound more sensible. Thank you.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Libertad! posted:

Even though the guy's like a big businessman used to this, it's not kosher to make fun of people's names when we can't necessarily choose them when we're born (barring some cultural traditions). One might retort 'just legally change your name,' but by then you've grown used to it for nearly 2 decades.

Welcome, to the SA comedy forums!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Making fun of someone for having a pun for a last name is not anywhere near the same ballpark as making fun of someone for having a foreign or unusual name.

I had an asian TA in college literally named Bamboo Dong.

• Locked thread