Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

The worst moment for Rock Paper Shotgun was the Fallout New Vegas review, which you could've mistaken for entirely made up by somebody who didn't actually play the game if not for the little things like a screenshot of a flat desert area intended to show how empty the game was. That screenshot, of course, was taken with the player's back to a giant solar collector facility with a huge tower, rows of solar panels, etc, eliminating the possibility of incompetence and veering right into basic lying.

Yeah, Quintin Smith really, really did not like that game and boy did it show. Also, he apparently has a pretty bad ear for writing if he thought Fallout 3 was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:thejoke:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They were always reptilian, but in older editions they were described as being somewhat dog-like in appearance, basically dog-faced lizards.

The Suikoden videogames interpreted that as "literally dogs that walk around like people."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

homullus posted:

The only thing I like about lizard kobolds is the dragon worship angle. D&D has plenty of lizard baddies otherwise, and Hotelling's Law is not a sound basis for trash mob design.

They should be dogs that worship dragons

And wear costumes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A well-made, loving pastiche?

It's a parody that's so good and so appreciative that it's a sterling example of the genre it's lampooning.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, seriously, the last thing we need is a western version of isekai.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm used to fantasy worlds not feeling very convincing or "real," living and breathing, but the bulk of Exalted's Creation as written feels more like a theme park than a world. Being divided into literal disneyland-esque theme-zones doesn't help.

Stuff involving Yu-Shan and the gods are pretty good, though.

I've only experienced Glorantha in the form of KoDP, but in that it's sick as hell.

Runa fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also I picked up a copy of the Reign core rules offa drivethrurpg on this thread's recommendation and now I remember why Greg Stolze's name was familiar. He was a contributing writer to WW's Adventure! Which for a single-book, self-contained little thing, manages to be my favorite White Wolf game.

It's genuinely fascinating stuff, this. And just in the chargen chapter alone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Stolze actually has a pretty extensive history of contributions to various White Wolf games, and I think he even wrote some novels for the nVampire line. The story goes that the One-Roll Engine was born from him asking some of his fellow White Wolf writers "so what are the statistical differences between adding more dice to a pool and shifting the TN up and down?" (back when WoD games had shifting TNs instead of set ones) and he got a bunch of blank looks and shrugs in return.

Wahey! Also, having read and played many number of White Wolf games over the years, this anecdote all sounds entirely correct to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly as far as quasi-rational :biotruths: go, that's a pretty drat funny one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo, this is pretty baller.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tactical combat vs. fiddly combat?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Shadowrun sucks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gloomhaven sounds pretty cool, yeah.

It being a physical board game based around cards does make it a bit harder to skim stuff for ideas though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Impermanent posted:

cards are just a way of conveying types of actions in combat - look at 4e, strike, gamma world, etc. It's undeniably a little 'game-y' to actually have cards you use as abilities in battle but we already have spell slots and once per day uses of lay on hands and whatever pretty entrenched in the hobby. You could do a similar thing with the spells of a wizard in D&D-alikes, or a fighter with 'stances', etc.

Another way to look at it is - why not try cards? They're just as removed from the action of swinging a sword as dice are.

I don't mean to say I'm not down with the format, I get it.

I just meant I had a brain fart and forgot that I could totally just look for a pdf of card scans couldn't I.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Impermanent posted:

ah word. pm me if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Thanks for the offer but I think I got it, apparently some of the print and play assets are still floating around. Also got the rulebook so I can parse out how this stuff goes together.

I might actually straight up try to grab a copy of the game proper, all 20 goddamn pounds of it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saguaro PI posted:

I absolutely adore TAZ, I finished it yesterday, but gently caress me listening to Griffin talk about how the fighter in 5E is amazing because he's the best at fighting when it's plainly obvious that in the podcast we're listening to right now the wizard is the one who has the most impact in fights is just really hard.

I'm only halfway through the backlog and Travis has already made it a running theme in his goofs about how bad the 5e's designers hosed up, that for a literal year and a half of his life his options and abilities in fights are severely gimped because he made the mistake of picking the class called Fighter.

He's literally experiencing Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit syndrome in real time. With one character actually summoning angels*.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I literally know nothing about Evil Hat so it all went over my head.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I always wondered why rpg.net came off like a bunch of passive-aggressive vipers wearing stepford smiles. The fact that this was all in service of protecting the feelings of people in the industry just makes it all the more tragicomic.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yes, those are both personal attacks, and it would be very easy to reframe them so that they aren't without altering the content of the sentence! So I'm surprised that people don't.

This isn't the Ex3 thread, so can you dial back the sycophancy a bit? I get not wanting to have words on record that might insult or hurt the feelings of people you want to work with, but it's possible to just hold your tongue and not chime in. Frankly, over the past few pages, you've just come off as a snide rear end in a top hat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

This kind of thing is why I don't take TG's pretense of being interested in social justice issues very seriously.

I used to think you were just kind of snitty but usually polite, but now I know you're a piece of poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not even all rah-rah about social justice issues, either

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

homullus posted:

The timeline itself is in real time

Timeline patch 3.0 is coming

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't bother giving Holden a second thought but I know he likes to defend his creepy rear end in a top hat friend, Morke and play pass the blame ball. I have no clue wtf else is going on besides him being what, the one source of the antisemitism accusation against the even creepier CA Suleiman?

At least I didn't give Holden and Morke any money, then I'd hate their guts too. If anybody has a grudge against Holden, frankly, it's probably well-earned. I've got friends who despise him who aren't goons and are just unfortunate enough to have still been fans of Exalted by the time the Ex3 KS came around.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What are shrimp? We just don't know.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mods... knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mulva posted:

What in the unholy gently caress happened here?

:shrug:

• Locked thread