Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

gradenko_2000 posted:

So I guess the question is, what would a DRM-enabled PDF alternative even look like?

Kindle books. You need to control both the method of distribution and the method of accessing the files.

The reason steam works is that you need steam to run the programs you install with it. Which means you need to be associated to your account. You can sort of get around that by logging into a computer then going offline, allowing you to log online in another location, but you can't just google drive your friend that copy of codblops you just downloaded and replicate it into infinity.

Also

Error 404 posted:

A pain in the rear end that no one would want to deal with for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The D&D community, notably, was using it, but no one in the D&D Team actually devoted any time to managing it. Whereas the Magic Community team spends most of their time interacting with the community on Reddit and twitter, so the forums were ancillary.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ravenkult posted:

Multiple. ''It's not tracing, it's inspiration.''

Here's an example. This isn't tracing, but stealing is stealing.

Someone pointed it out on their KS page, they got this:

The positions in the art are the same, but it was drawn from scratch from what I can see. It's clearly an inspired work but it's definitely not illegal in the same way as "Eternal Crane Browses Steam Library Charm" is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The T-Rex/Fishgator art is one thing, but pieces inspired by other things are an industry practice (Also: depending on what kind of spec the artist was given there are only so many ways to draw "T-Rex fights prehistoric megafish").

But there's barely altered poser art, Carjack's Crusader Kings art, and a few other things that people are probably going to lose their jobs over.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Okay

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I agree it's pretty lazy, it's art-student level work. Nobody would put that stuff in an art gallery. It's just not illegal, and also not unusual, and stirring up a shitstorm about it isn't really worth it.

Yeah Skarka is literally taking a photo or artwork and applying photoshop filters only. I'm not a copyright office examiner but in my opinion it does not reach the level of modification necessary to establish it as a legally-protected derivative work. What's also laughable about Skarka is that he's spent years claiming that doing this artwork is a big drain on his time, when it's obviously a 5-minute photoshop job.

Part of the problem is that in some cases, they paid the artists to do X, and they did Y instead. Or they paid them for wholly original work and they gave back the Crusader Kings thing.

Like there's one place where they had tasked an artist to thematically recreate a piece of art from an older book where a Lunar had eaten an entire store's worth of cakes and her Solar mate looked on angrily. The art they got back was hyper-shiny poser art and the lunar was half-naked and crawling under the table for some reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

To clarify

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I don't have any examples but apparently one of the artists for Nobilis 3rd edition used traces from Tohou Fanart almost exclusively. She had to hold the release back and get new art.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Even if he wasn't tracing, the hand in that panel is terrible.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, it's one solution to WotC's inability to produce content.

gently caress Faerun, though, can I write Planescape material? No? :frogout:

Yeah, Dark Sun? Eberron? Nope, only Faerun exists.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Wow.

I'm not an expert in these things, but what little I know is telling me that is some bullshit.

You surrender all rights to your material for a promise that they'll pay you if they make a profit from it. However you're forbidden to sue them if they don't.

How is that unfair? :shepface:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

rkajdi posted:

You can't drop a bomb like this without an explanation or a link.

Okay

Chris Fields, who's rather infamous in the Fatal and Friends thread for his racist, misogynistic, and scatalogical d20 supplement "Black Tokyo" released a product on DTRPG under the name "Tournament of Rapists" with the following blurb.

quote:

The Tournament of Rapists details the sadistic Rape Pure Fight circuit, expanding on what you’ve seen already and introducing dangerous new sexual predators. This sadistic bloodsport takes place in abandoned office buildings and atop Tokyo rooftops. An assortment of superhumanly powerful and inhumanly misogynistic men, and even worse women, step into impromptu fighting arenas, killing and raping the weaker in search of a multi-billion yen fight purse provided by a half-oni billionaire in thrall to dark impulses.

He's probably released worse, but he made a few mistakes this time. A) He put up a low res preview copy but didn't enable a "First few pages PDF preview" so no one could actually tell what the book was about. B) He accidentally set the price at $599 USD rather than $5.99 USD and probably the most damning. C) he released it without properly tagging it as adult content, and since his publisher at the time was in good standing with OBS, it got scooped up by one of OBS' bots and preview copies were sent to some members of the gaming press.

It blew up from there, with both fields and his publisher defending it as a "Monster Manual" and what you're actually supposed to do is kill all these people for being horrible monsters, but there was no way for anyone to know this without actually buying the book. Relevant to this discussion, however, is people were threatening to leave DTRPG on both sides, either if the book was taken down or if it wasn't, people were claiming freedom of speech, etc, etc, etc. But what it really brought to light is that there's really only one marketplace for gaming PDFs online and OBS has a monopoly on it. Also that Wieck shouldn't be allowed near twitter again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If I'm reading it correctly. Anything you publish to DM's Guild, even if it later gets pulled, is WOTC's property. You cannot publish anything that was ever on the DM's Guild because it is not yours and never was yours.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

OBS theoretically set up a pipeline by which people can report problematic books that will get reviewed and maybe taken down. I don't think it's actually been tested yet.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well I imagine if someone releases another tournament of rapists as an E rated product it will at least provide them a better avenue to find resolution than Tweeting at the company owner, who reacted in probably the worst possible way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know the one on the right is badass and evil because she's licking her blade!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTn1QxCZ2s

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

The woman in black has just completed her floor routine at a spiked-chain gymnastics competition. The redhead is up next, licking her blades for a little extra sparkle on them - the judges were impressed and she's going to need to bring her a-game. The dude has just realized he's at the women's competition. He's hopeful that his flowing locks and robe will fool the infernal officials (who are often confused by mortals' anatomy.)

He's even showing a little leg for them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kusari-gama are really cool and I wish that they were more viable in DND Games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of crazy 90's style advertising gambits. It it kosher to talk about Mark Rein*Hagen's latest marketing scheme here?

The heavily abridged version is he "admitted" to plagiarizing his latest game from a copy of some other game he found in a wisconsin warehouse abandoned since 1975 and was seeking funding help to publish the "original" version. After a bunch of people called him out on his bullshit he started obliquely making fun of people for not "getting the joke" and playing along because "that's how he rolls".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

A loving antipaladin class for...either 3.x or 5e, I'm not sure.

3.5 and 5e both have antipaladins already. 3.5 has about 6 of them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't remember how to embed a tweet, but

It's not Far West, because intothefarwest.com is still up.

e: oh, I guess it auto-embeds?

It auto-embeds any url that leads to twitter or is a webm, but doesn't embed if you use :nms:nms or nws:nws: tags, for what it's worth.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mass Effect 3's ending probably would have been received better if one guy didn't write it all by his lonesome with no input from the rest of the team. It also would have been a good idea if they hadn't included a DLC patch that expands on the background of the main villains which also makes them look like complete morons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The warlock only questgiver tells you something to the effect of "Don't let the wizards get you down, they're only mad that they based all of their training and scholarship on a version of magic that doesn't work anymore. And most definitely not because we sold our souls to Asmodeus."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Didn't they pull Rey toys off the shelves because they had a lightsaber?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

She was in winter soldier too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

The DC comics properties are a big mess right now. Their most successful ventures are the CW shows aimed at adults, their comics are a mess of a few highs and tons of lows with rumors of another reboot coming soon, none of their cartoons seem to have any staying power even when they get good word-of-mouth. They're trying very hard to copy the success Marvel has had with their crossover movies but somehow missed that Marvel's movies work because they manage to do 2 out of 3 things: get good lead actors, get a good, fun script, and get a good director.

The DC Animated movies have been pretty good recently. And the Paul Dini era cartoons were amazing, the difference is now Dini's working for Marvel on some of their cartoons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Epic Level handbook had the DCs for 'impossible' things. So you could tell people that you were the moon and then toke up and float away on your own stank cloud.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

Well, first, pretty much every woman in this game smokes. Circe the immortal goddess smokes cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. Minerva the self-insert smokes cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. Whenever Soto draws Princess Lucinda -the-12-year-old from Witch Girl Adventures, she's smoking cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. When I checked out Soto's profile on the Witch Girl wiki, there's like three photos of Soto herself smoking cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. When you start putting you love of cigarettes in the mouth of 12-year-olds, it gets rather noticeable.

Then we get into all the spells based on smoking, like the spell that lets you turn people into cigarettes so you can smoke them. There's also an elaborately described ritual for creating cigars (that taste like "rum and cocoa and rum") that let you kill someone by smoking it, summon them through the smoke, or make them shrink to half their current size with every puff because this game has elaborate mechanics for smoking. Why would you want to shrink someone down all that much? Well, going by art found on the author's DA account, because she gets off on the idea of shrinking men down to tiny sizes, putting them in her ashtray, and torturing them by raining the hot ashes from the cigarette on them.

Yeah I'm gonna have to F&F this crazy goddamn book. I need something suitably worthy of scorn to level out the other book I'm doing

Witch Girls of Darkness is just :psyduck:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Well, what if my fetish is intersectionality, hm? :colbert:

Well, if you want to be prejudiced against you can be a fat green woman, otherwise you're SOL.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The kind of people who have access to a page fed scanner, not to mention a flatbed, have to be rather small.

e: Also, what are they going to do with multiple submissions? If 20 people dissect their DMG only one guy gets the money, that's going to be a lot of pissed off fans.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 16, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

inklesspen posted:

Rulebook Heavily may be planning on doing this; might want to check.

I asked, and they're not, so Enjoy

It's simultaneously worse than I feared and worse than I had hoped.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

4E Dark Sun was ironically the one setting for that particular edition where they paid the greatest heed to its 2E predecessor. The general rule of 4E settings was "if it's in the game then it has a place in the setting," so you get eladrin and dragonborn and tieflings all up in Eberron where they didn't really exist before even though it's not really all that awkward an inclusion.

This is actually intentional. One of the requirements of the initial treatments for the context that Eberron won was "Everything in every 3.5 book printed has to have a place in your setting." That's why the Mournland is a crazy blasted Magical Apocalypse, Xen'Drik is a constantly shifting realm of whatever the gently caress needs to be there, and Argonessen is one giant literal "Hic Sunt Dracones" joke.

That's part of the reason they didn't seek out Greenwood/Salvatore's stamp of approval on the setting changes, even the implementation of AEUDs would have probably been shot down by Greenwood since he made part of Mystra's reason for existance "Maintain the Vancian Casting System" and AEUDs would have meant the Elminster would have taken a hit in power. That said I'm pretty sure that Warforged and Changelings never got an official reason for existing in FR, beyond maybe a "Gond?(shrug)".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Really? Why, I thought 3.5 was a bloated mess.

Because Eberron was 3.5's setting. And most 3.5 books had a "How do you do this in Eberron/FR/Your Setting" sidebar or 3.

Also it wasn't "Everything does exist" it was more "Everything can exist if you want it to".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Eberron was the only good thing about 3.5

Now I'm just imaginging the darkest timeline where Burlew won and Baker went on to create a popular webcomic using clay animatronics.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Even Burlew himself is forbidden from divulging the details. But judging by his early writing style in OOTS (and in one of his articles he mentioned it has no less than 5 elven subraces) I'm imagining/fearing it would be a setting where it points out all the fantasy tropes as dumb but begrudgingly goes along with them anyway. Whereas Eberron was more "Genre conventions? Yeah, those are neat, you know what's even better? More genres!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Payndz posted:

At what point did specific settings become such a big deal in D&D, anyway? I played B/X and 1e (well, a bastardised version of 1e that was really just B/X with more classes and spells :v: ) without ever once caring whether an adventure was set in Greyhawk or Mystara or whatever, but clearly at a later point some people decided to wank themselves silly over the Forgotten Realms and treat that as the essential heart of the D&D mythos.

4e and 3/.5 were both very setting agnostic. 5e isn't because the entire point of 5e seems to be to raise interest in the secondary media. Their actual active staff on the D&D team is maybe four or 5 people. They aren't actively working on any player information books because they can just outsource a bunch of adventure modules and since everything is set in the Forgotten Realms then they've increased the market for all their books and the inevitable movie that they're going to (try to) make.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If we're being super technical there's also the Demons Stone game that was a 3d beat-em-up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

For D&D, probably not really. 3E was a genuine TRPG bubble and it brought both the highs and, unfortunately, the lows. Despite that 4E had a fairly substantial media rollout for a TRPG, outreach and attempt to get new people engaged with stuff like the Penny Arcade podcasts and Acquisition Inc. liveplays at PAX, digital Dragon Magazine, DDI, Encounters, etc.

Honestly this is kind of my favoite thing to come out of the whole ordeal because of what happened and how. Scott Kurtz was generally uninterested in Roleplaying Games but 4e got his attention because of the role separation and the fact that healers could do a healy thing and still do something else with their turn. He went whole hog on it and even started up a webcomic based around a roleplaying group.

During the 5e podcasts one of the first things Kurtz asked was "Can clerics still heal and do something else" and Mearls was like "Oh yeah sure of course" but once play actually started Kurtz got less and less interested and eventually just started doodling instead of contributing, even the PA guys seemed kind of annoyed and bored. They still do their D&D stuff out of obligation (they are getting paid an absurd amount of money) but it doesn't seem like their heart is in it anymore. Hell Kurtz's webcomic now involves a weirdly controlling DM playtesting a new ruleset with a group of people, not telling them how everything works until it comes up, and handing them pieces of paper with their own character backstories and grinning like a puppetmaster while they read them back to him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

It's a matter of Mearls not bothering to do the slightest bit of homework in preparing for a podcast that was meant to go out to everyone as a big advertising/word-of-mouth signal boost. Instead he shows up and it's just awkward, there's none of the enthusiasm of the first ones.

Then later there are the podcasts of Mike Mearls and the rest of the 5E team playing where it becomes apparent that Mike Mearls is just kind of a boring GM in general.
Well yeah, that's kind of the dumb catch 22 that WOTC wrote themselves into. Their 'ambassadors' to the game were a group of people who cut their teeth in 4th edition and those were the people they had to use going into 5e. But 5e didn't really have any of the uniquely 4e mechanics and they had Mearls doing the DMing and...well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, yeah. That's the Rule Zero Fallacy.

Rule Zero: You can change any rule in an RPG to suit your needs...
Rule Zero Fallacy: ...therefore rules don't need to be well designed because the players can fix them at the table.

"We don't need to balance the classes because people who want balanced classes will play with DMs that balance the classes for them." is by far the most irritating piece of moon logic to come out of 5e.

• Locked thread