Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I'll take the Isles, but have no problem switching to another open team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I'm in as the Islanders.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
All set as NYI, I agree to the rules etc.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Things will be different, NYI fans.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I'm not a regular poster, just a hardcore lurker, but I'm scared the day I forget to check the thread will be during my turn. Technically some days only two picks could be made, others we could burn through 20 picks in half an hour. I'm sure it will be fine but I do have PMs so if someone could give me a heads up for my turn (Islanders) that would be awesome. :)

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I don't think it's a big deal, and it's a 50 contract draft with 30 GMs. Even if we're talking only two hours per pick, this is going to take 2+ months. And a 12-hour window means 12 hours. But yeah, if people forget to check the thread for ther first pick, it doesn't bode well for picks 10-50. If you don't check the thread but are active elsewhere on the boards, it's not a great sign.

We should just use the time to discuss previous picks etc., if you just want a speedy fantasy draft load up NHL 13 or EHM.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Paulocaust posted:

Weber was the third D selected :ssh: (Karlsson, Subban)

Karlsson's a forward teehee.

Those were actually my top three D, and in that order. While I think Weber and a yet-to-be-picked other guy are currently better than Subban, in a salary cap league where you don't have to account for future salary increases, Subban's contract makes him far more appealing than Weber.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
With the 18th pick, the New York Islanders are proud to select goaltender Jonathan Quick.

This was a very tough choice, with so many good players still on the board. Ultimately it makes sense to build around a young elite goaltender who already has a history of leading an offense-starved team to an unlikely Stanley Cup. As a Senators fan, I know all too well the pain of having a strong roster with weak goaltending; I prefer the risks of the reverse. Quick is a young American goaltender locked-up long term. That could never go wrong on the Island, could it?

$5.8 million cap hit forever, 27 years old, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe.

And there you go, three picks in under an hour, nice little run. :)

mozza fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 11, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Starsfan posted:

so what's up with that 2012-13 save percentage?

This year is wacky for everyone statistically, and I barely think fans should pay any mind to it, nevermind GMs attempting to construct franchises from scratch. For the record I would have picked Lundqvist ahead of Quick, but obviously didn't have the opportunity.

That first choice isn't easy. There are still two forwards I would have been ecstatic to pick at 18, and probably two defensemen as well. But I just pictured myself in the second or third round trying to choose which marginal goaltender I wanted to be my starter and it wasn't pretty.

Jordhan7hm posted:

Goalie picks this early seem risky as poo poo to me. You know that PPG forwards and stalwart defensemen will still be pretty good even in bad years. With goalies though? Those careers go off the rails real quick.
The truth is there aren't that many PPG skaters. Last year only 6 hit the 82-point mark, 7 the year before. Maybe double that for players who were ppg over 75 games. And with the exception of older players, they've mostly all been taken.

mozza fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 11, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

T-Bone posted:

I love Quick and Zach but those seem kinda early for the both of them. I had them pegged as second or third rounders. Quick is streaky as hell and Parise's best offensive years are probably behind him (although like Toews his defensive value I think is severely underrated).

See these are interesting valuations. I had them both pegged for the mid-to-late teens even aside from my interest in picking. Everyone aside from Taylor Hall has gone almost exactly where I'd expect. I'm sure things will start to deviate pretty heavily soon though.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

edit: my post was a joke but I don't want to break the no-talking about unpicked players rule.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
It's crazy to think Price won't improve at 25. That used to be the age most goalies entered the NHL. Not that I think his numbers are going to rocket upward, as so much of that is team-dependent.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Paulocaust posted:

Someone PM mozza for his turn. I'm pretty sure T-Bone and Austrianmook are here so he'll be up really soon.

Her/She!

I'll post my pick in a minute.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

With their second round pick, the Islanders waveringly select Corey Perry.

This was an extremely difficult pick, especially because I believe in the philosophy of building through centres and defensemen, yet I'm breaking the rules on my first two selections. I was prepared to select Pietrangelo, Kovalchuk, and OEL, in that order. I'm leaving a very, very good defenseman on the table and might end up regretting it. Perry has a massive cap hit, and I feel like I'm almost talking myself out of this pick, but he's an elite goal-scorer and Hart trophy winner coming to the Eastern Conference.

$8.625 million until 2021, 27 years old, 205g/224a/429p in 530gp. Hart trophy, Rocket Richard, Stanley Cup.

- - Perry ($8.625M)
- - -
- - -
- - -

- -
- -
- -

Quick ($5.8M)
-

mozza fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 13, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I had my eye on Landeskog for my second round pick from the get-go, but I hoped he'd drop to the 3rd round at least just because he doesn't have that huge offense (or even really the ceiling for it). But seeing how high guys like Ladd and Bergeron were picked, and even Parise and Toews to an arguable extent, maybe it shouldn't be surprising. I think a lot of us value these types of players similarly.

For the record I wouldn't have blushed if he was taken in Ladd's position, it's a great pick.

Austrian Mook posted:

e: and the way I see it with veterens. I'd rather have a core where I'm contending to win a cup for 10 years over being a frontrunner for 3. But honestly, both are pretty viable.
I think people would draft quite differently if this was real life with real stakes, like short-term playoff income and merchandise sales for drafting established commodities. Here, it's hard not to value the long approach. Sure we look at Lundqvist/Chara as immediately viable, but then the next team will have Markstrom/Hamilton and we'll all drool.

mozza fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 13, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Austrian Mook posted:

that puts mozza up next. Has he been on today? I don't think I've seen him.
I'm around all the time, I just never post. In fact my three or four posts in this thread are probably more than I've made in the past two years. The PM notifications go to my email, so that helps too.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I actually dreamed of who to pick, woke up all excited, then remembered there's 30-some picks until my next pick and there's no way the two guys I'm targeting will still be around.

Landeskog is good now, will be great someday, and I understand the reasoning behind naming him captain but it was a bad idea. It's kind of like how everyone is surprised Tavares isn't captain until you remember saddling a kid with the responsibility of a trainwreck franchise isn't always the most conducive to development, either for himself or his teammates. In this fantasy draft, though, he doesn't have to be your captain. Great pick.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Wow. I like Semin but I'm shocked to see him picked this early.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
My least favourite duo on that list is my own. And Ladd/Nash.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Verviticus posted:

yeah, im not getting anybody i like. this is why i dont do fantasy hockey anymore :mad:

This would go a lot better for us as individuals if we had casual hockey fans participating. For one thing we place higher value on players in the Parise/Landeskog/Pacioretty mold than I think your average 30 hockey fans might.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Yeah, I was expecting some first round picks to be 40 year old heroes.

Sort Players by Salary: in which Gomez is a first-round pick.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
The Islanders are proud to select C Mike Richards.

I'm on my iPad so I just posted to keep this thing moving, I'll edit in a picture and explanation in a couple hours.

edit:

He has seen a reduction in ice time, production, and responsibility in Los Angeles, but he will be the Isles #1, likely captain, and will be given every opportunity to succeed offensively. I'm still not convinced he'll ever be a point-per-game player, though he's never had a sniper like Corey Perry to dish to on a regular basis. Still, his two-way play, experience, and decent cap hit makes him a stable long-term anchor for my first line. And no Dry Island as long as he produces.

It was a very tough call between Richards and ________, who I think are comparable players but I ultimately chose Richards for superior two-way play, and the perhaps slightly silly memory of that season he scored two 5-on-3 shorthanded goals. I am getting a bit worried about my D, but I made a list of centres/defense that I would have been fine taking with this pick, and came up with 23, so as long as there's a run on wingers and starting goalies I should be assured at least one of them in round four.

28 years old, $5.750 million until 2019-20, 569gp/162g/260a/422p, winner of all things - Memorial Cup, WJC, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup

mozza fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
So from earlier, the Islanders selected Mike Richards. (this is not a new pick, just an explanation for pick #18 of round 3)

He has seen a reduction in ice time, production, and responsibility in Los Angeles, but he will be the Isles #1, likely captain, and will be given every opportunity to succeed offensively. I'm still not convinced he'll ever be a point-per-game player, though he's never had a sniper like Corey Perry to dish to on a regular basis. Still, his two-way play, experience, and decent cap hit makes him a stable long-term anchor for my first line. And no Dry Island as long as he produces.

It was a very tough call between Richards and ________, who I think are comparable players but I ultimately chose Richards for superior two-way play, and the perhaps slightly silly memory of that season he scored two 5-on-3 shorthanded goals. I am getting a bit worried about my D, but I made a list of centres/defense that I would have been fine taking with this pick, and came up with 23, so as long as there's a run on wingers and starting goalies I should be assured at least one of them in round four.

28 years old, $5.750 million until 2019-20, 569gp/162g/260a/422p, winner of all things - Memorial Cup, WJC, Olympic Gold, Stanley Cup

mozza fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

T-Bone posted:

There are some wingers I like better than Stepan/M.Richards still on the board, but if I was in a position to absolutely have to draft a center they're solid picks. There's maybe one center I for sure like better than both of them, and I suspect he'll go extremely soon.

I really felt I needed a centre after having chosen a goalie and winger with my first two picks, and felt the very slight downgrade to M. Richards from (whatever unnamed winger I value) was less than the downgrade from M. Richards to whatever centres would be available in the fourth round.

Carter I had on my list of 23 players, but I would chose Richards over him any day. Though Carter is a better goalscorer, the only other place he has Richards beat is his ability to play C/W equally well. Richards is a superior player IMO.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Gaborik's a great pick too. Literally the only pick that I can't justify for its position is Andrew Ladd, who I'm not convinced would have been taken by anyone else even at this point of the draft. Taylor Hall was picked high but makes sense.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Krejci was the guy I was debating over Richards. Now I'm curious to see who T-Bone is thinking of, I feel like it will be a head-slapping moment unless it's ______ (so hard to have these conversations).

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
There's still a bunch of #1Cs left. All have flaws (age, contract, defense, production in the 60 range instead of 70-80 etc) but it's not like we're dealing with dregs. They are #1 centres on real NHL teams, after all.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I assume we're allowed to pick whoever we want position-wise, and even dress an all-centre forward group if we choose? It's not like fantasy hockey where you're locked into a listed position. But people will judge your team if players are not being used to their strengths.

I had Skinner #4 on my available centres list. Yes he's primarily been a wing in Carolina, first it was to load up a top line, maybe give him easier defensive responsibilities [edit]. But he could, with some grooming and injury luck be a first line centre on many teams - Florida, Winnipeg, Buffalo, maybe Phoenix etc. I don't think it's a bad move to place him at centre and he could easily outscore guys picked before him like Richards and Krejci, though he's absolutely less useful defensively/physically.

mozza fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 17, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Habibi posted:

I'm not talking about Skinner or Carter, and I just double checked the spreadsheet and that player has not yet been picked. Mozza... :argh:

Hahaha God drat, I'm sorry. I edited it out, hopefully that doesn't mess with anyone's plans. I also edited out the sentence because leaving just a blank name makes it pretty clear who I was talking about. I'm legitimately sorry.

I need a CIA redactor to double-check my posts. :(

mozza fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 17, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Gotta take a risk. Islanders select Dmitry Kulikov. Will post picture/explanation when I get to my computer later.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Jordan7hm posted:

Interesting pick.

I think it's a stretch given some of the guys left, so I'm curious to see an explanation.

This year has definitely been a disappointment, but I'm basically just trying to strike a good balance between current ability and potential, and I think Kulikov does that best of the remaining defensemen. The franchise D are long gone, but Kulikov can produce (though this season isn't a good indication of it), he's cheap, he's young, he can eat minutes, and he has a ton of upside.I believe I'll be able to insulate him with veteran D taken in later rounds. I had a list of about 10 comparable young players, some already had insane contracts, some didn't have the offense, and some were just too unproven. I seriously wrote out three different names and erased them because they just felt too safe and didn't excite me. I like the pick, but more than anything I wish I had picked a D in the first round.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Jordan7hm posted:

Fair enough. I think you missed on one guy in particular who is very similar, but slightly better, but that could just be my preference.

I don't mind not having picked D til this round. Still have a long list of guys who I can grab later who will do just fine.

Would like to know who this is when he gets picked. It's possible he was one of the guys I was eyeing, or I'm just dumb and overlooked him completely.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Earlier the Islanders proudly selected D Dmitry Kulikov in the fourth round.

Kulikov, while not in the elite class of Karlsson/Pietrangelo/OEL, is in the next tier of dynamic, young, two-way defenders. He has had a solid start to his NHL career, with his best-showing so far being a 40-point pace in a season shortened by injury last year. This year has been a bit disappointing, but he's on an abhorrent team. The Islanders will not be an abhorrent team.

While I expect to draft a veteran defender to serve as my #1 for the next few years, I'm willing to bank on the risk that Kulikov will live up to his potential as a dynamic star two-way defender with 50+ point capability. He's already a 40-point minute-eater as a 22-year old, so even if that's all he'll ever be he's worth the pick. A case could be made to take many players in this position, and I'm not arguing Kulikov is the best defenseman on the board. But he makes a lot of sense considering his current abilityl, his contract, and I'm just personally excited by his potential.

22 years old, $2.5 million contract until 2014, 229GP/16G/64A/80P

New York Islanders
- M. Richards Perry
- - -
- - -
- - -

Kulikov -
- -
- -

Quick
-

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
A few thoughts. Love the Enstrom pick. I was so close to picking him instead of Kulikov, but went with the younger guy because of higher potential payoff. Enstrom is one of the most underrated d-men in the league IMO. Also love the Hamilton pick, I just think Kulikov is a little more proven at this stage while having a higher offensive upside. They're not comparable players of course I'm just looking at things from my team's perspective.

Milan Michalek is also a good pick, but he's not a guaranteed 30+ goal scorer. 20, absolutely, 25, very likely, but if he hits 30 again I'd be surprised. His injury issues are very, very troubling, but occasionally it happens that guys who are injury magnets as young players somehow lead healthy 30s (XXXXX etc.) I wouldn't bank on it though. Love the guy, love his compete level, defensive prowess, he's an underrated playmaker as well (assists totals his first few years in Ottawa don't reflect his abilities at all). But the speed is disappearing, the injuries are piling up and the goal-scoring is not as reliable as last year would indicate.

mozza fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 19, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
drat I was hoping Lecavalier would slip to me. He's a luxury to have as a #2 centreman, though since he's not mine I can tut-tut about his awful contract, inflated cap hit and growing injury concerns. (All negatives you very clearly pointed out, of course)

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I think Jagr is a GREAT pick for the guy picking two spots ahead of me.

edit: I want to start my write-up now to save time but I just know karma will strike me and IANSS will select my guy.

mozza fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 21, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Ok I won't be able to post a long explanation but I'll make my pick as soon as possible after IANSS.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
With our fifth round pick, the Islanders happily select C Mika Zibanejad.

I had another player happily picked out and ready to go, but I had the intention of picking Zibanejad from the get-go and it's getting to the point where he could last 20 more rounds or be taken with the next pick. The other guy I was eyeing is 10 years older, absolutely won't last until my next pick, but someone roughly comparable will. Zibanejad is exactly the style of player I want to build around, and I'll kick myself if he's not on my team. He just turned 20 two days ago, and though he doesn't have the highest ceiling of recent top 10 picks, he's starting to show his ability to absolutely dominate possession. A "bad" game from Zibanejad means he only throws a few hits and never hurts the team defensively. In a good game, he's just unstoppable on the puck and in pursuit, shows incredible hockey sense and playmaking ability he definitely didn't possess when we drafted him, scores timely goals, and is a bull on the boards. I like him more than Landeskog and I love Landeskog. He will be a very complementary second line centre to Mike Richards and I'm excited to have him.

I think this is a homer pick in the sense I wouldn't know how awesome he is if I didn't watch him every night, but that's hardly a bad thing. Ultimately I want to build a team that I like that plays a style I enjoy watching and think will win games, so I'm delighted with the pick.

20-years old, $1.744 cap hit until 2015, 37gp/7g/13a/20p this year, scored the WJC winning-goal in 2012

- M. Richards - Perry
- Zibanejad -
- - -
- - -

Kulikov -
- -
- -

Quick
-

mozza fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 21, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Jeff Carter can absolutely play wing, and I don't have the split stats or anything but I think his playstyle is consistent regardless of position (aka he doesn't turn into a playmaker as a centre and sniper on the wing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Jordan7hm posted:

I love Zibanejad. Was really hoping he'd drop around

Were you planning on picking him, and if so, roughly what round? You were honestly the one guy I was worried about, Sens fans know this guy is legit, for others he might have flown under the radar.

I'm not arguing Zibanejad is currently better than the players who will be picked in this round (though, at a 45-point pace in his rookie year, he's not far off), but he's got 15-20 years of career left and he's the kind of guy who has a positive impact even if he's not producing.

edit: and for the record I like the Elias pick, he's been a great player for 15 years now. We're all excited about youth but there's something to be said for a guy who's been getting it done as long as Connor McDavid has been alive. It's a great pick in a 3 or even 5 year plan, and beyond that any planning is absurd (even though I'm aiming for centre-pieces that are secure for a decade).

mozza fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 21, 2013

• Locked thread