Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What succulents are you interested in specifically? Probably propagating? I'd like to know as well as I currently have... a lot :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

learnincurve posted:

Anyone know anything about magnolia?

I have an established magnolia cutting in a 9cm pot and I'm not sure when to plant it out, now or pot it on?

I also have a few seeds but from reading they look a bitch to get started, anyone had success?

No help here but I'm kicking myself for not buying a gorgeous 4 foot tall magnolia for $15 instead of $40 at the end of a farmers market the other day. He didn't want to drive it back home but I have no where to put it :(

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Stop watering them so often/giving them so much fertilizer, keep them outside if they need to be instead of forcing them inside

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Think of a pot as a patch of earth. :) Look up the information for every single plant you plan to buy. As an example If it says "tender, shade, loamy soil, acidic, drought tolerant" then it will grow happily indoors if you get the correct potting material, place it away from the window and water it only when it gets dry. Find out exactly what feed it needs and then feed it every six months as that's how long the neutrients last. Also look up how big the plant will get, if it says 3m then that's a no. You should be able to tip the plant over and pull it out of the pot, do this occasionally to make sure the plant isn't pot bound.

A plant may be glorious, wonderful, and fabulous but if it's from the mountains of Austria than Texas is just going to flat out murder it.

I have a pretty large jade I've been putting off repotting. It's so big and delicate :/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Put it's pot in a larger pot and pack your new potting material round it, when you take the pot out again you will have a nice hole you can quickly transfer your plant into :)

Holy poo poo! You are on to something there.. thank you!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The Sean posted:

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am in Central Florida which I consider to be very hot and we're having a drought right now so I did my own (dumb, lovely) math that the plant was getting dried out. This came from (what I think is) a good bonsai place so the rocks aren't glued down but I'll try taking a look at the roots. Thank you.

A lot of mallsai are just juniper branches chopped off and jammed in the ground or poorly grafted which makes them really hard to keep alive but seconded the put it outside advice. Most new people try and keep the bonsai inside and don't realize they aren't meant to be inside and it slowly dies :/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

indigi posted:

I have a little jacaranda bonsai that I grew from seed. it sprouted in late February and it's been living inside beneath a grow lamp for all that time. based on some youtube videos I've seen it looks about as large as 6-7 month old examples. now I'm worried that I'm stressing it out by having it grow too fast, and indoors :ohdear:

Mind posting a pic of it? Not that I can give you any advice I'd just love to see it :D

The Sean posted:

Thank you for all of the feedback on the juniper bonsai. In regards to what someone said about climate, it's pretty much why I put it outside for 5 days in for 2 days (with access to light). I was worried that it was too hot for the tree and while I don't know much about plants I figured the tree turning brown was it drying out and/or getting cooked in the major Florida heat. I'll take your advice, though, with removing the rocks to have a better look at the soil. Before this, I usually tried to jam a finger in through the rocks to see if the soil feels damp.

The place that I bought it from seems pretty legitimate. They're an orchid and bonsai shop in a standalone building, rather than a kiosk. I first started trying to raise tillandsia and bonsai from sellers on Amazon but they didn't seem to work out. I now buy exclusively from this shop and everything I've had (save this juniper) have survived well. I had this juniper for about 7 months and I have two other bonsai (I can't remember the type) that have been going strong for a few months.

I'll try looking for the bonsai thread again. Thank you for the help.

Honestly the reddit bonsai beginning questions thread is much more active and has a lot of experienced people willing to help if you don't find what you're looking for

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

I know this is a wild scandalous accusation but.. Why do men feel the need to keep messing with my bloody hose?

Seriously, It's a cheap fifty freaking meter hose, it has no reel and if you look at it funny the drat thing will kink. I have it layed out all around the edges of garden so that I can walk a set route without it kinking or catching on anything. It's not in the way and at no point is anyone in danger if tripping over it. It's left exactly where it's supposed to be when I'm done with it. Man comes near it and the second I turn round it's been "tidied up". which means that what I have now is a fifty freaking meter tangled mess dumped up near the tap.

It's not just one man who's done this, it's literally every man who comes near the house, apart from Mr LC who knows better, including a workman who came to do some plastering. Even the postman points at it and goes "you've left your hosepipe out love" Why?? Is this active mansplaining where they see a woman doing perfectly well on her own and have a desperate need to show that they know more than her, especially when it comes to something that looks like a giant penis??

Sorry. First the snails and then yet another half hour spent wasted untangling and putting the hose back :(

I've explained to more men than woman how to roll up anything of length using the over under hand technique so it coils nicely. Don't think this needs to be about sex. I could see anyone living at a house wanting the hose rolled up when it isn't being used, weird that the postman pointed it out though and called it a hosepipe. Never heard that one but I'm definitely using it now

Paint it like a coral snake and put signs up saying DEADLY SNAKE DO NOT TOUCH

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

indigi posted:

e: I have a 2-gallon pot I'm transferring it to this weekend, please do not @ me

Yea it'll definitely like the bigger pot, maybe even some time in the ground to get some mass. I'm reallllly into those leaves though wow, add another name to the list of Plants I Need

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kenning posted:

I know we have some Bay Area plant goons in here, so I figured I'd rep the BACPS show this weekend.

It's going to be a very good show! I'll be selling plants, and also doing a presentation on "Carnivorous Plants As House Plants". If you're free on Saturday between noon and 6 pm come by the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland, it'll be a Hoot. If you're a goon you can say some goony thing to me and I'll get you our best plants. I'll be the tall guy at the Predatory Plants booth.

That is such a cool poster and I'm so bummed I'm not around for that. Damnittttt

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

plus you get to pet your plants! :3

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Attention jade and or succulent gurus.. I inherited a pretty decent 10 year old jade, the problem is it's been neglected for most of those years. I'm thinking it's either mealy bugs or powdery mildew, leaning towards bugs. I've isolated it from the rest of my jades and currently thinking of going with water first then isopropyl alcohol on qtips and in some areas straight up cutting off the bad sections. The reason I hesitate to do that for all of it is because my friend already actively pinched it and there isn't much of what I like in jades left: the leaves.

How should I clean it? When should I repot it? What would you do to make this jade be all it can be?

I get a lot of enjoyment from letting jades back bud and just flow rather than aggressively shaping them (that's what maple bonsai are for!) , any trick to inspiring back budding? I have a succulent specific miracle grow that I usually do pre hot spells once a spring.

Album:
http://imgur.com/a/b7Ngn

Thanks!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

Also rats love to climb on it. I've spent many hours this summer ripping English ivy off my sisters' property.

A special rat ladder to your roof, you aren't lying. My old house had a big problem because of them

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I'd clean it with alcohol like you mentioned. That's how I clean my really dirty plants, if a wet rag won't cut it. Clean it first and see how bad the really bad parts are. Keep it alive until next year, and then trim or whatever. That's what I'd do. I'd also wait to repot until next spring, as summer is already in gear. I have a 3 or 4 year old jade that I didn't even know was jade until a few weeks ago. I haven't done any shaping (or back budding) so I have no advice on that front. It's a great looking plant, I hope it cleans up ok for you.

I just wanted to share that Jade I was trying to save is back budding and gorgeoussss. Whoop! I'll post pictures soon

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Shame Boner posted:

That makes me want to re-pot my jade that's been in "suspended animation" due to being in old, depleted soil in way too small of a pot. So small, in fact, that it only takes looking at it wrong while it's dry (all the time) for it to fall over. It's survived many trips onto the floor courtesy of my cats with minimal leaf loss, thanks to its strong, woody stems. Does anyone have a favorite potting mix for succulents they'd like to share? On-hand, I have finished compost, coconut coir, sphagnum moss, pine bark, builder's sand, perlite, and pea gravel and tend to mix my soils out of a combination of a few of these. I'd like to get a flush of new buds on old growth so it fills out like it was years ago.

I slip potted (thanks someone earlier in the thread for the advice) another one of my jades into dirt and a much larger pot than what it had been neglected in by my friend and it backbudded like crazy. All my jades are in good dirt, they are prettttay hardy

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

AcetylCoA! posted:

Hiya, Plant thread
This is Stabby. Near as I can tell, he is a Crown of Thorns, a succulent of some sort. This likely explains why my mother was unable neglect him to death.

My mother, as you can imagine, is not a fan - which is how I've ended up with him. I managed to kill a succulent. I don't want to kill this one. Help me to not kill my new roommate.

step 1: stop watering it and forget about it

Shame Boner posted:

That makes me want to re-pot my jade that's been in "suspended animation" due to being in old, depleted soil in way too small of a pot. So small, in fact, that it only takes looking at it wrong while it's dry (all the time) for it to fall over. It's survived many trips onto the floor courtesy of my cats with minimal leaf loss, thanks to its strong, woody stems. Does anyone have a favorite potting mix for succulents they'd like to share? On-hand, I have finished compost, coconut coir, sphagnum moss, pine bark, builder's sand, perlite, and pea gravel and tend to mix my soils out of a combination of a few of these. I'd like to get a flush of new buds on old growth so it fills out like it was years ago.

I just put one I took from another friend in good dirt and a bigger pot and it EXPLODED in back buds

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Rite Of Massage posted:

Hi, I'm trying to get back into gardening, but by putting stuff in my cube instead of having a plot of land. Are there any resources like books or websites that a beginner can learn how to take care of succulents? I couldn't find a thread about it.

Step 1: stop touching them
Step 2: stop watering them

Boom, happy succulents!

I have a lot of succulents in generic potting soil or decent looking dirt I dug up, don't stress over having the perfect mix. They do need sunlight though :/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Smugworth posted:

Adding to that, cacti and succulents are happily grown on sunny Texas patios. You can experiment with tomatoes, herbs (rosemary seems especially suited), and all sorts of stuff. My advice for growing at a Texas apartment is to take a good look at how much light you get if you have a porch to grow on. Full sun vs partial shade makes all the difference for the plants I've tried growing. Oh, and water your non-desert plants often, you've messed if they've wilted.

Yea but also to add on this.. if you aren't over watering them and they still look sad (read dying) take them out of direct sun. I've moved a lot of my plants around until I found a spot they liked and usually that means less sun than I thought. I have no idea why my aloes seem to like breaks from the sun during the day but they do?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

go grab some cheap 4" succulents asap and watch them pop. Avoid home depot cacti imo, I've had some bad luck with them in the past. I loveeee weird looking plants. If I can find a cheap string of pearls this spring I'll be so happy but everywhere I find them they are so overpriced I can't jump on them

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Turkey tail? Eat it and find out! obviously don't do that

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Stores double the price of cactus specific poo poo and it drives me nuts.

I have a lot of succulents and as long as you have a hole in the bottom of your pot and water is draining and you don't overwater them you'll probably be fine. I've had a lot of success propagating them in normal potting soil and soil I dug up from my yard, they are pretty tough as long as you get it into you're head that more water=/=more growing. Move them around to find somewhere they like too; my big aloes hate direct sun. Weirdos

In news that doesn't matter to anyone but me my 5 year old R. luteum golden comet rhodie is getting ready to bloom and I'm so excited, the flowers smell incredible. Its trunk is also progressing nicely, I'd like to eventually do some wiring on it but we'll see. I love spring :D

Anyone have any luck collecting madrone yamadori? I hear they are a huge pain in the rear end to transplant

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wish American stores would stop selling English ivy altogether. Besides the property damage, it's one of the worst invasives and literally kills trees.

Is that the same as pixie ivy?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

^^very cool

Boris Galerkin posted:

Those deserts, my "backyard," do look pretty covered with them to me.

Just think of a jungle where every possible inch of sunlight is covered with something growing vertically, then realize how empty a desert seems. I can see how you would consider that somewhat covered though

Different topic: how can I figure out how warm my greenhouse stays at night? I want to move succulents out there but I'm still getting frost on the ground and I doubt it stays much warmer than a few degrees compared to the outside. This is a kit metal frame/glass paneled greenhouse on a cement pad

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Have you put succulents in a greenhouse before? I'd be worried about moisture and mould.

Nope I didn't think about that I just wanted to get them more sun and I'm tired of moving 8 big jades out in the morning and in at night

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Nosre posted:

I've got a soft spot for small lemon trees because we grew them from seeds when I was a kid :3:

So last year I started a bunch. I know you really need dwarf varieties for pots, but whatever, it's fun and I can experiment with different pruning methods and whatnot. The granular stuff on the soil is the fungus gnat treatment

The two biggest ones (keep in mind every plant here was started at the same time)

That vertical shoot did that in, like, 7-10 days. I love how much they grow even in winter

Most of the rest, with a Dahlia hiding there in the middle left

I've pruned these low shoots (can they be called suckers if it's not a graft?) a number of times, but for some reason this scrawny one loves doing them. I think I'll just leave it like this and see how it develops

Thinking to leave most of them indoors this summer. As the growth shows, they don't seem to mind, and they did take a fair amount of insect damage last fall

drat I'm real jealous I've wanted a lemon and lime tree for a while now. Those look super happy! Plus if you get a lime tree you can tell people limes are just unripe lemons, I don't know why thats a plus to me but its definitely in the pros column

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Nepenthes and Cymbidium (she’s our queen, imo) from work. :3 I’m partial to that olive tree next to the cym, it’s more of a stick.

holy poo poo that nepenthes is beautiful

Nosre posted:

that thing is serious ^^

my girlfriend's increasing love affair with succulents continues with our first Sempervivum (hen and chicks) layout

hens and chicks are awesome and super easy to grow. if you like those and haven't explored the sedum family you should, there are some really fun flowering stonecrops that work really well in layouts

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Vile your sundew is incredible

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

But which side of the lumpy things? Towards the tree or away? That’s the part I don’t get :(

Away

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Basher posted:

Also, daikon radishes, a season or two ahead will break up clay soils really well.. they throw down a tap root really deep then when you cut them off they rot right there in place leaving organice material to compost, feed worms, and other microbes.

-basher :D

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I have a tremendous respect for bindweed. It is a plant that answers to no one and lives freely. I think I can get away with liking weeds because Canada only has plant life for like 5 months a year.

Respect is not a word I'd use for bindweed

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

abrosheen posted:

I found a tiny bug on one of my plants, and tried my best to take a picture of it. It was moving fairly quickly along the edge of this leaf. Look familiar to anyone? I realize the picture isn't the best quality and the bug is tiny, but click to make it larger.

oh no. be active in keeping those down I've been fighting them for a while. Quarantine your plant from other plants, look under leaves near the stems especially near new growth

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

My boss’ latest “get this plant out of my store!” is this coffee plant. He has some mealybug, which I’ll monitor. Any special tips for coffee plants as houseplants?

my very special tip is you should probably give me that plant :D very envious

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

As a general rule they are deep rooted hungry plants that eat all the nutrients in the soil - roses for example need a phenomenal amount of feeding, although they have nothing on trees like conifers which tend to have roots as spread out as wide as the plant is tall, and willow that seems to be able to smell water and sends its roots in looking for it. (If you have bog you can plant willow and the tree will make the soil usable for you) Dandelions are so good at thier general plantiness because they evolved to compensate for thier soil destruction by spreading far and wide via the wind - that way the babylions have a good shot of getting to some nice fresh soil, unlike Buddleja which are a bit thick and tend to spread outwards from the parent plant.

If you want to break up the soil in a clay area then plant potatoes, they do the digging for you and it’s easy to replace what they ate by digging in manure or compost while you dig them up.

Plants are so freaking cool

That and your cardboard tip earlier are prettayy prettayy cool. I'm digging them

Oops sniped um.. dandelions are cool... in other peoples yards!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kenning posted:

Ethics is absolutely an issue in rare plant collecting. There's all sorts of sketchy stuff in carnivorous plants that is either unethical or even wildly illegal, but which it would be difficult for a consumer-level collector to sort through. On the producer/retailer side, my familiarity with the industry and the various global suppliers and their catalogs means I can spot stuff very quickly that's totally opaque to someone without that perspective. I understand from my friends who collect other rare plants (African milkweeds, orchids, bonsai, etc.) that it's a problem in all sorts of collector communities.

same thing as don't buy ladybugs!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

kedo posted:

Curious about this, why?

almost all ladybugs sold in the us are wild harvested its hosed. just like those plants

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone have any pepper growing experience they would like to share? Every year I tell myself "I'm only growing things that grow well in my climate and produce" and every year its my basil and peppers so this year I'm filling my 5 planters boxes with basil and peppers. Pesto and hotsauce allllll winter. Do you think I really need to keep them 18" apart?

B33rChiller posted:

Yeah, that's a photo of my plant. I remember reading about Monstera that the first 2 leaves of a shoot will actually move away from light, as in nature they will be seeking a tree to climb up, before reaching for the light. It checks out in my experience that the first couple leaves are always sad looking little things, with the third and subsequent leaves being bigger with splits in them. I remember one time on vacation to Costa Rica, the place we rented had what looked like a Monstera climbing up a tree in the yard. It went waaaaaaay up the trunk, and had huge leaves. So I imagine my plant has a long way to go before it reaches its maximum length.

thats really interesting. I need a monstera, badly.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

They root from cuttings super duper easily. Make sure you have a node and a leaf, and stick that in a vase with water. After a while you should notice it starting to develop roots. Boom! You got yourself a new plant.

Monstera or peppers? I really hope its peppers that would be awesome

Joburg posted:

In my experience peppers can be planted closer together but it depends on the pepper. Anaheims and habaneros need more room than jalepenos and cayennes.

Last year I planted 2 habaneros and ended up with a billion peppers and it was waaayyy too many.

If you like onions you can plant them in between your other plants, they aren’t too picky about space.

Interesting, do the peppers themselves need sun to ripen, hence the more space? Or just the leaves? That seems like a dumb question but I'm rolling with it. I planted 2 habaneros as well and had what I thought was quite a decent haul but got decimated by friends and family. I want garbage bags full this year, I'm going to go hard on messing around in the kitchen making hot sauce. I love onions, maybe I'll throw those in between the peppers.

Should I add some nitrogen rich fertilizer to the soil around the freshly planted peppers?

There is something about watching watching the tiny flowers turn into peppers that is incredibly satisfying for me.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

kedo posted:

Spacing for peppers will also depend on the size of pot you're planting them in. In a standard 5 gallon bucket or equivalent you can get some huuuuuge plants, but if they're in smaller pots they won't grow quite as large.

All of them will be in planters beds or the equivalent in a greenhouse. I'm up for whatever makes em pop

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Shame Boner posted:

My essential hot peppers are hungarian hot, jalapeno, habanero, and poblano; it's everything I need for salsas, fresh eating, pickling, and rellenos. I've been using a 12" spacing for all my peppers, but I think this year I think I'm going to give my poblanos and habaneros some more elbow room so they can boom shakalaka boom. Normally my habaneros only got to about 12" tall and my poblanos to around 24". I'm not sure what I've been doing differently; but the last couple years I've been getting 18 - 24" tall, super bushy habaneros and poblanos around 48" tall and half as wide.

What I really want to do though is successfully overwinter my best plants to get an early start the following spring. I tried this last year and the poblano plants started to take really well to the transplant and were soon budding off the wood. Habaneros are supposedly tougher and didn't bud for me. They're really sensitive to drought until they can re-establish themselves in the soil and unfortunately I didn't water them enough so they died.

Great information, thanks. Last year my hungarian's were the most successful and the most tasty. Jalepenos are kind of boring to me but they probably produce well. This year I just picked up a purple pepper, super excited for that color. I really want to try overwintering as well, mainly to try and bonsai a pepper plant which is pretty much impossible but since they supposedly turn woody I feel like I could have some fun with it (until it died)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mozi posted:

This is pretty small potatoes (as it were) but I still think it's neat when this happens.

Had a small pansy in my office window for most of last year and stuck it out in the ground in the fall.

I'm in zone 4 so I didn't expect it to show up again - had a pretty harsh winter as well.

But hey!

what a great surprise