Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Cacti are the coolest of plants. I have a very tiny eagle claw in a pot, but my herbs take up all the good window space so I haven't bothered to pot any other cacti. Thankfully I live in the desert so I can see all the cacti I want outside.

And here is a small sample of pictures I have from an ongoing plant identification project I am doing.

cow tongue prickly pear by atticus_1354, on Flickr

ECEN2spinestopERS2012 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Even grasses are cool

BOTR2inflorescenceERS2012 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

And finally Ocotillo which is my favorite plant.

Ocotilla by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I would try diatomaceous earth. It is super passive so there is no danger to pets or people and it is pretty cheap.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Can anyone school me on fluorescent grow lights? I have some citrus trees, pepper plants and a range of natives that are getting shelved for the winter and I have extra lamp fixtures in my shop.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Jestery posted:

I sowed some grass a little while ago and am having mixed success

I have sown again with a more sunlight tolerant grass in the more frontal area, as it receives far more light (and heat, it has been bush fire conditions here lately)

Wish me luck on the second sow

Just straight spreading seed there isnt going to do much. You're going to need to rip that soil and top dress with a clean weed free compost/soil blend. Then seed in too that and water frequently but shallowly to keep the top moist. As it starts to grow you can taper back the water frequency and increase duration to drive that water deeper to encourage root growth. Also high soil temps are going to severely lower your germination rate so look in to wood fiber biodegradable erosion blankets (no plastic netting) that will shade the ground and help hold water.

I do this for a living so if you have more questions just ask or PM me.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Hubis posted:

BTW, I can't remember if it was this thread or the veggie gardening thread, but I mentioned some research I saw showing that mowing a lawn at 2 week intervals seemed to support better bee populations than either shorter (1-week) or longer (3-week) intervals. Anyways, someone said they were interested and I just had a chance to look up the original research:

To mow or to mow less: Lawn mowing frequency affects bee abundance and diversity in suburban yards

I vote for ripping out most of your yard and replacing it with native flowers and pocket prairies. Then you can have an even great diversity of insects and birds.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

HamAdams posted:

I’d love to see some pics of people who have done this. I’m planning on putting in some native wildflower areas for the pollinators this spring but I’d like to do it in a way that’ll still look ok to the neighbors.

Like was stated a border is important to make it look intentional. I like local rocks as long as they match the rest of the house. Then seed the area with a diverse mix or you can go the more controlled method and plant potted perennials. A lot of tall prairie grasses make good tall plants for the back and look good in the winter if you leave them standing.

Look at Living Landscape by Rick Darke and Doug Tallamy and Gardening with Prairie Plants by Sally Wasowski.

I do native restoration on a multi acre scale and help a lot of people with smaller projects also. If you have questions about what is and isnt native to your area or good native plants for a certain situation feel free to ask. I work in Texas but have consulted on projects with landscape architects in several states.

I will pull up some pictures when I'm at work next week.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

Time for the rototiller and mulch. Maybe this time a semi-wild camas field like the local indigenous groups used to cultivate.

Everytime you rototill you restart your weed cycle by bringing new weed seed to the surface. You want to kill whats on the top and then plant with as minimal a disturbance as possible. You can also solarize the area, sheet mulch with cardboard and top dress with a clean soil/compost product and plant in to that. If you have a lot of woody resprouting weeds like blackberry and mesquite you will need to be sure you really kill them well with a good systemic herbicide so they dont resprout. Annual weeds and grasses can be controlled with just the solarization if you leave it long enough.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 6, 2020

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Additional tip: If you're going the herbicide route (look, I use the dreaded ROUNDUP from time to time) add some food coloring to the bottle. That way you can clearly see where you are spraying and what you've already sprayed so that you can minimize use. Also if you're interrupted you can go back later and go back right where you left off.

That's good info. Blackberries aren't an issue around here. What herbicide mix did you use?

If your going to use herbicide make sure to use the right mix of the correct chemicals or it's not worth doing. Around here for basal bark treatment and stump treatment of resprouters I use a mix of remedy and diesel along with marking dye. It's expensive for a bottle so see if you have a friend who will sell you a small amount out of their bottle.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I live in Central Texas, and this year I would like to plant an almond tree in my front yard.

Knowing absolutely nothing about any of this stuff, where can I start?

I would start with contacting Womack nursery. Also contact your local extension office and ask about soil testing. Depending on where you are they may be very knowledgeable about trees or not have a clue.

https://womacknursery.com/products/almonds

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Hubis posted:

Actually, how big of an area are you dealing with, and is it intermixed with flora you actually want to keep? I totally forgot solarization, which is actually the standard procedure for nuking invasive species in an area:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y37WHFwh7b4

Solarization is what we recommend for changing over small areas. It works well as long as you leave it for long enough. My issue with it is that as the area grows you need a lot of plastic to cover it and at what point is the plastic more harmful than just controlled applications of glyphosate.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

As much as I hate goats and I’m sure their evil physique could survive a bit of mild toxicity better than other animals I’m still not sure that’s a good idea. Literally boiling away the plants that have wronged me though? That’s awesome and I’m going to do a trial run rn of a small patch with some hothouse plastic I have lying around

Just be sure to leave it out longer than you think. You really want to kill the poo poo out of that area.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

You're going to be awfully upset if you're expecting delicious corn from those plants.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

cheese posted:

So I didnt trust the seed coverage recommendation for a wildflower mix I put in my new 6'x4' raised bed and appear to have way over seeded. This is the mix. Says it covers 624 sq ft and I used half the package for 24 sq ft!

Haha I get this question at work a lot so you're not alone. Nobody believes us and are often used to seed packages that are 98% filler. You can thin them some now and as they grow keep an eye on areas that look overly thick. It's not the end of the world and dont worry too much about it. Next time add clean sand to the seed and it will make it easier to spread over a larger area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Like I said, we don’t want them to die.

Getting real goons in a well vibes from this but it's cats pissing down the well this time.