Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

DeusExMchna posted:

We just bought a house late last year and with it came some great potential for gardening! I want to try my hand at growing some roses and I'm in zone 7b, but I admit I'm sort of overwhelmed on roses. Is there an end all be all book to taking care of roses? I always assumed that taking care of roses was some laborious effort but I guess it's mostly about getting the PH right and taking care to not plant it close to other plants so it can grow?

Also, is it safe/legit to order online? I plan on going to my local nursery in a few weeks/months so I can pick up a few that are already adjusted to my area, but I imagine they aren't going to carry a wide selection of roses.

I inherited like 20 rose bushes at a new house I just started renting, and I'm a little overwhelmed myself. Any tips would be appreciated. I spent a good hour today weeding and mulching around them, a few were starting to get choked with what I think is chickweed. Is there anything I could plant as a helpful ground cover around the roses to stop the weeds from taking over? I also don't like all the bare ground in between the roses.

I'm doing a lot of vegetable gardening (there are 6 raised beds and a few more plots as well as a greenhouse to work with). I'm also growing vines around the outside of our fence, and waiting to see what old perennials will show up. I'll have to start taking pictures when everything's blooming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

EagerSleeper posted:

I don't have a lot of experience with growing roses in the ground, I just wanted to say congrats on getting a pretty cool rose garden! Maybe keeping the rose garden as is would be good since the roses are already used to that? If not, maybe clover seed might help once it get dense enough. I have personal experience with Tradescantia pallida (purple heart) growing thickly in mats and easy to grow. A little too easy to grow. But it's an attractive plant, and it might choke out any weeds foolish enough to try and grow underneath it.

If you wind up taking pictures of your garden, feel free to post! We'd love to see them!

Nice greenhouse setup! I don't have much to post right now because it's still early, but have a daffodil I rescued from the compost heap. Can't wait to see what else blooms

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Starting to see some fruits of my garden. Ate a pea pod while cutting some flowers for a bouquet tonight. Some random pictures:

Overall pretty happy with how my first year haphazardly gardening is going

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Flowers everywhere!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I spent a large chunk of today clearing out the bind weed infestation before it gets a start this year. gently caress that plant.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Respecting bindweed requires not liking any other plants in it's grasp. I'm sure it will be back too, because I could feel some of the roots break off in an area between the yard boundary where I can't get it. I Iove my garden, but sometimes I feel like Sisyphus battling blackberry brambles on one side and bindweed on the other.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
One of my favorite plants in my garden right now is the huge lush crimson clover. If I had a lawn type area, I'd be tempted to cover the area with something like that. Or a mint lawn. Or thyme.

Every spring I try to stop myself from going crazy buying plants. I did get a lot of seeds and some plants this year, but I'm trying to fill out my garden this year by splitting up last year's perennials and relocating the stray self-sowed flowers that have all seemed to root in the gravel paths. Unfortunately, this means my garden will be mostly California poppies and borage, but at least it's something stopping the weeds from trying to take over.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just seeded crimson clover in my garden yesterday!

Also, a mint lawn will NOT work.

Lol every seasoned gardener hates mint. Its only my second year, but maybe some day I too will understand.

Nice, the bees will love it later this year! I think it's beautiful, and the leaves are so huge and plush. Going to try and save the seed

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yeah when we grow mint I absolutely make sure it remains in a pot. For things like mint and Aegopodium, of you absolutely need to have it in the ground, make sure it's contained in something. Yeah they can still potentially creep out and escape but having the plants safely sequestered in a burried plastic pot really slows the spread.

Now to figure out why anyone would plant Virginia Creeper. That took over one of our old yards like nothing else.

I guess mint seems less awful compared to the Himalayan blackberry, Aegopodium, and bindweed contantly trying to get in my garden. Hopefully some day mint will be the worst weed I'm dealing with.

I've been weeding in between rain showers this last week, and I've seen some monster earthworms! Love the guys.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

learnincurve posted:

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk

The bio bit: David Austin has a well deserved reputation for being the best rose producer in the world, he’s a very old man now and has spent a life time creating new roses and is responsible for saving a lot of old types that were in danger of being lost. His roses are also incredibly hard to kill.

Dame Judi Dench was released last year at Chelsea and this is the first year my rose supplier has had one half size and shaped (you can get them cut back online though). I got maybe 50 roses with another 9 on order - I say 50 but it could be nearing 100 at this point if you include the tiny ones.

TLDR: me WANT new David Austin.

Look at it just look at it!

Do you sell the cut flowers, or are you a landscaper or something?

My roses have begun blooming, but I'm not sure of any of the names, as they came with the place.

Schmeichy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 19, 2018

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Sir Lemming posted:

Ok, so on the same subject of wood chips and what might grow in them... Could anyone tell me what these white things are?

I'm guessing it's just some unremarkable weeds, but I've never seen any that look quite like this before.

Those look like mushrooms, chips are a nice wet habitat for them. It's a good thing, usually means the soil is healthy.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

anatomi posted:

Anyone know what plant this is?

Looks like the dianthus I have in my yard, also known as Sweet William.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I wish it was easier to find pelargonium "scented geranium" plants near me. I was so excited to actually find a nursery that had rose and citronella scented ones, but now I'm hooked. I have some old fashioned cook books that have recipes for them, and I want the fruity scented ones.

In other news, my hops are taking off this year

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Nosre posted:

RIP one of my Avocados we grew from a pit for fun :(

Last 3 days suddenly all the leaves started wilting, now drying up completely, and I just noticed this:

Reading up this can happen from root rot, but I've always been careful with that so I think it's just a disease. And probably too low to cut off and have it recover, though I'll try

My avocado had something similar happen, and it has recovered, so don't give up hope yet!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
My neverending war with bindweed rages on...

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Mr. Vile posted:

Can anyone ID this plant, found in the UK?

How does it smell? Kind of looks like a scented geranium

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Bina posted:

I live in Seattle. What is this? It has such a wonderful scent~

Flowers and smell make me think lilac, if it was off a bush

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Katt posted:

What are these things taking over my compost?

Northern Europe.

Potatoes?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Nosre posted:

Anyone ID this thing? The leaves are super thick and fleshy, pretty neat. Unfortunately my store just had it as "assorted succulents' though

It's a peperomia graveolens, I have one too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
What an impressive plant shelf Nosre! If I came to visit I'd spend the whole time looking at all your beautiful specimens.