Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Quiet Feet posted:

There no way a tree flowers this quickly, right? And the Paulownia flowers I've seen just doing an image search are purple and all on mature plants.

Shame because a mature Paulownia in flower is unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Now that I finally found the plant thread (perennials btw), I wonder if anyone can help me identify this:

I got a packet of seeds that promised me those mini melons. But these are definitely not them.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

If you are going to use roundup (glyphosat based total herbicide) I wouldn't cut it back first, apply directly on to leaves (diluted as spray or brush it on neat) and more will be taken up by the plant.
I have sprayed areas that have been first gone over with a strimmer (weed whacker?) and it has far less effect.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

Stark Bros went and shipped my replacement peach tree early. It will be here on Saturday. :argh:

How do I keep this thing alive until Fall planting time?

I assume they are shipping it in a normal sized pot. Just keep it watered and keep sheltered from the sun. If it's in some kind of root ball bag then you'll have to temporarily (carefully so as not to disturb the roots) pot it. Should be fine either way until Fall and the leaves have dropped.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Hopefully they are not completely rear end backwards and send it with naked roots.
Well 1.5 times the depth/diameter is traditional. A little bigger won't hurt. I would just use a reasonable potting compost that has a good water buffer material mixed in (I am internally translating here, so I have no idea if this sounds right in English), I think Perlite is used a lot in most parts of the world?
TBH where I work we have shade nets and use all purpose compost and some poor rear end in a top hat waters the pots every day because our watering system hasn't been built yet.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Ask them what they recommend and do that, not necessarily because they’re right but so that you’re blameless if the tree can’t take the shock.

Great idea, also check it upon delivery and refuse it if it looks damaged or just about to go to tree heaven

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I. M. Gei posted:

I sure do hope the lack of replies to my last post means that I did something right for once

God speed little peach tree. Your fate will be decided by the scorching summit of summer.

:pray:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Oil of Paris posted:

It has leaves and it’s the middle of August, so, yes, it needs sunlight like every other tree; they are not dormant at all right now

Just keep in dappled shade all day or morning light/afternoon heavy shade until it’s cooler in the fall

Word

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Well the European cousin of this is/was used as a ginger substitute spice (dry the rhizomes, use in tea or something), but yeah, seems both of them and most wild gingers have something in them that messes with Kidneys if used frequently over a long period.
Fine to try....probably.

The European one is an amazing ground covering plant in shady/wet places. They don't like to be stepped on though. American version is, from what I understand, the same

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Couple of extra things:

There are two types of liquid feed for citrus plants, one for winter and one for summer (from Compo, at least hier in Deutschland and presumably in the Netherlands as well) and there is also a special citrus potting compost that seems to be a rather heavy, sandy mix but with some granulate in.
I know someone who swears by them here, but then again they keep their 2m tall lemon tree in its own private greenhouse. With its own gardena watering system complete with ground humidity sensor.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Solkanar512 posted:

One other tip for repotting trees into larger pots (I do this with Japanese Maples) - Use pots with straight rather than curved sides. When you have to pot up to a new size, you want to be able to get the plant out, and lots of otherwise nice looking pots have rounded sides.

Or those terrible pots with the overhang....

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ferntastic work

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I think I might be more right here than other threads, as my "expertise" (never thought I would write that) is in garden ornamentals: shrubs and small trees. With some herbaceous thrown in and general industry and landscaping. I have a good general knowledge of European trees and shrubs found in the wild, and enjoy identification challenges.
I know very little about house plants except that I kill them and appart from fruit trees I am only just starting to improve my vegetable growing skills. I do have a herb collection though.

So yeah, plants are a big subject and could easily be pruned off (hahaha, classic) into lots of separate threads. I just want to stick to a thread where I can see some nice stuff, especially in the wild and chime in when someone has a question.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Man I love pecans. I used to like walnuts alot, but their taste is forever tainted by the memory of pecans.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK so any objection to this?
- Move the plant thread from TGO back to DIY as a "horticulture" thread
- DIY gardening thread becomes the edibles thread? Like back to veggie gardening and similar "english country garden" content?
- Kaiser opens a new outdoorsy greenery thread in TGO

Makes sense.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

showbiz_liz posted:

I just pulled about two gallons of sludge out of my building's gutter. Turns out there was a plastic bottle blocking the downspout so it's probably been accumulating for a while. Is there any reason I shouldn't dry it all out and then add it to my compost? A lot of it is probably potting soil from my plants, which are on that roof, but I can't know how much. I've just shoveled it into some empty pots for the time being.

Any tar on your roof? If not, neither are any other undesirable substances that might have gotten washed out then it's probably fine, probably just leaves, moss and your old soil after all.
Maybe mix in some suitable 'brown composting material' (leaves, small twigs, even shredded untreated cardboard etc) and leave it to rot down for a little longer as it's probably super wet.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

showbiz_liz posted:

Hmm, almost all of the roof isn't tar but there's about a yard of tar covered with gravel bits right by the gutter. Does that make it a non-starter?

Ah, that's probably fine. Just don't eat your compost raw.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/aug/31/imagine-using-liquid-water-why-people-water-their-house-plants-with-ice-cubes

They treat this as a joke, but I still wonder if anyone here has a similarly strange trick to avoid overwatering root-rot prone houseplants?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Oil of Paris posted:

Anybody else having some mature and healthy trees prematurely defoliating? My big rear end black cherry has really left loose, I think this summer has just been one big rear end kick and the plants are calling it a day earlier

There have been 4 very dry springs/summers each year here in Germany for the last four years.

Appart from all the spruces and pines dying, the Linden/Lime trees are losing their leaves already.
Some native cherry's as well. A lot of ornamentals from east Asia are no longer viable any more.

One of my favourites, the silver Birch is also no longer viable in lots of forests or gardens.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Wallet posted:

We had literally 3 days of spring which caused a bunch of things to start shooting up, then it was cold and rainy for months, and then we went into full blown summer with three weeks of drought.

A lot of my plants are clearly confused. Some are flagging a bit early, other ones are pushing out new growth much later than I would expect. All of the trees in my yard (which I planted all but one of this year) seem to be extremely happy with the weird rear end conditions this season, though, including a ~3 foot umbrella pine that has put on most of a foot.

I'm hoping we don't get slammed with a bad winter because I have a feeling a lot of things aren't really prepared for it.

My fruit trees are flowering again. I mean, I appreciate trying to give me some fresh pears for Christmas, but please stop.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

showbiz_liz posted:

I have an opportunity to take on a major role in rehabbing a butterfly garden in a public park (as in, my friend and I would take over from the one lady who's been doing everything and is looking to hand it off). Currently it's super overgrown and a bit shabby, but more than half of the plants are actually supposed to be there, so it's not a disaster or anything. I am super excited about the possibility but I'm pretty new to gardening in general and have never done something like this before. Any tips, thoughts, horror stories? We're in NYC.

Any pictures? Would be interesting to see at least the state it's in, and/or any plants you aren't sure about.

I have no real experience in butterfly gardens per se, but I imagine the first thing you will need to do is have a clean up and establish what you have growing there.
Then have a little think about making a catalogue of all the plants and when they flower and of course if butterflies will be able to get good necter from them.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

As my first act as mod, the horticulture thread is getting stickied permanently and I am banishing those filthy vegetable gardeners to the compost heap, may they rot in hell (and be eaten by worms and turned into productive and healthy soil!)

Their hubris will be turned to humus

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

13 is Philadelphus, probably coronarius. Worth waiting for some of them to flower before deciding on if you want to keep them or not

I haven't the time right now, but maybe tomorrow I could get a good number of them.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ok, I have a cheese sandwich and five mins.

7 is a big ol' Weigela.

This screams "Grandma's garden" to me, so I'm guessing nothing too unusual for southeast England

Edit:. 14 is....dead? Most of them seem to be Buddleia, Weigela, maybe I saw a Kolkwitzia and some Lilacs.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 13, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

It was indeed previously owned by a grandma.

Yeah hope that wasn't insensitive. I do actually appreciate the grandmas, their often overgrown gardens and their constant supply of coffee and biscuits.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Hooray for Grandmas then.

No. 3, I am pretty sure, at least the flowers jump out at me, is European spindle, or Euyonymus europaeus.
It has rather poisonous fruits! Not great if you have young children. Good if you wish to make pointy sticks. Some old gardener told me that you could get mild contact poisoning from it.:shrug:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been trying out various id apps and they're inconsistent enough that who knows. The good UK one is focused on wild species so a but useless to me.

I think the takeaway I have is I'm going to nuke the lot and start afresh, except maybe the big tall one at the back since it's so well established, but the building regulations people might make me take that out anyway.

I think we really got them all though, at least genus-wise. Good news is there isn't anything """"special""""" to preserve imo, unless you have a weird cultivar that people stopped producing, or you count the spindle. At least it was good fun plant IDing.

Look forward to your " what the hell do I plant here" post!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Buddleia are super invasive in SE England. You'll see tons of them in railway cuts if you look out the window next time you're riding a train. Some butterflies love them, but their destructive impact on butterfly habitat makes them not worthwhile. I would cut them down to the ground and paint the stumps with glyphosate.

There are small sterile cultivars now, worth planting for the wildlife maybe.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Or, you know, you could look up some plants that are indigenous to your area and actually preferred by the local wildlife?

I said 'maybe'.
South East England is not like the states, there is no real wilderness and national parks are small and fragmented. That leaves the house gardens to use whatever they can to get insect numbers up.
I concur that trying to use indigenous plants is nice, and in areas some areas necessary.
But being realistic, that biodiversity in England has reduced dramatically since the ice age, that overzealous planting of native species in suburban house gardens only has caused problems.
We have, for example, nearly wiped out swallowtail butterflies in England. In mainland Europe they are doing ok. There is only one plant in England they feed on and Europe has a number, which used to be native but retreated as the climate changed.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

D-Pad posted:

So my normal oak tree dropped this monster:

https://imgur.com/7hcJWeW

I've never seen an acorn even close to this big (apart from that one kind of oak tree that has big ones, this is a normal rear end live oak). I assume it's a mutant or something. What are the chances I can get it to grow and will I get a cool x-men tree? Any tips on getting acorns to sprout?

Might have some kind of parasitic insect inside causing the size difference. Have a check for small bore holes.

As for growing them, well European Q.robur seems to grow wild very easily in a wide variety of normal soils.
Probably just leave it half to 2/3 buried in moist potting compost in your window, with a polythene bag over it until it germinates.
Might be some species need winter like conditions followed by a spring to be most successful, but probably need to ident your oak and do some research to be sure.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

lil poopendorfer posted:

A weakened plant will propagate at a lower rate, but if it’s just some fertilizer burn I wouldn’t worry about it. I trim 1/2 of each leaf off anyways to reduce moisture loss while it’s rooting

I have managed to successfully produce one Korean chili plant (tepin?) And one ghost pepper from 20 seeds each this summer. The seeds all sprouted, but I am a terrible and forgetful plant parent. I may have used too rough a potting compost and it took them ages to get good roots.

Anybody got tips for overwintering these poor miracles and can I take cuttings like tomatoes in spring?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I guess I could part with some of the extra offshoots from my Sempervivum collection, if that's what weird plant people like as well??

Man I would totally love to hang a pitcher plant in my kitchen:drac:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I love tulip trees. Just a shame they grow so fast and big or I would recommend them to anyone.
Curious, how big are they in the wild where you are?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Oil of Paris posted:

I know the name “tulip tree” can refer to several different trees, but if you’re talking about the liriodendron tulipifera they are absolutely massive in the wild here. There’s a couple in the woods behind me that just dominate the skyline, probably easily over 120-130 feet tall, towers over nearby mature white oak and sycamores. Looks like the record specimen is 191.8 ft tall

Yeah, here it is really just L. tulipifera that we name tulip tree. I just adore them and would love to climb a big one, as here they are just ornamentals that get pruned regularly. Love the flowers, leaves, crown shape, love the fall colours, the way they move in the wind: even love the stripy bark.

I have a fastigiate cultivar in the garden, let's just wait and see how it goes....

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

El Mero Mero posted:

Looking for suggestions here. I've got a small space in the bay area with 100% shade (Here are a couple pictures: 1, 2)

That sprinkler doesn't work btw, so it's not a frequently watered spot either.

I'm trying to plant something that will partially block the view of our mailboxes from the street.

The folks at the plant store recommended those as options:
Loropetalum
Pittisporum
Podocarpus
Japanese Maple (my favorite)

The first three though are bit too dense for what I'm looking for though. The Japanese Maple would be perfect, but apparently the tree before we moved in there was a Japanese Maple and it died, possibly because it was too shady of a spot. I'm kinda leaning towards trying again on the Japanese maples because they look so good, but I'm curious what other folks might suggest here.

Japanese maples (palmatum or japonica) can get a a fungus that kills the off slowly but surely, at least in my temperate climate.
Be sure if that's what killed the last one or not, because any new tree in the same spot will be at risk.

(Also drought and total shade will not be ideal!)
Edit: maybe a Euyonymus alatus (compactus) or/and get rid of the rose and have a climbing hydrangea instead. Not sure if those are appropriate to your area, but they are more dry tolerant than a maple

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 6, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

cut back and train that rose on the fence to screen what you want screened.

Kill the rose op, you know you want to

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Dang right, the seeds are awful though.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I'm going to bed now, so I'll give this some real thought later, but a shrub that has both dark foliage, bright white flower spikes and is kind of weird looking is Cotinus coggygria "Royal Purple". Kind of nice in the background and as a contrast with other things. In the Eucalyptus family.

I will also always recommend a climbing hydrangea. In winter the exposed stems are also twisty and decorative.

The list from your gardener, at first glance, looks like normal and nice enough plants you would get from a garden centre around here. So maybe not your style.

Just a warning though, decorative, edible and tasty may not not always go together! You could get a crazy looking Fuchsia for example, but the berries are mostly watery and pointless.

Edit: as already mentioned, Sempervivum are great. I collect them and you can combine the colours and flowers in interesting and unexpected ways.
I also collect toad-lillys, but everyone has something to be ashamed of

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 10, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ah, just remembered a shrub, if you aren't already aware; Sambucus nigra "Black Tower" or "Black Lace"
Very dark foliage, White flowers/black berries, native to Europe, edible etc.

If you are living in Holland, there are massive wholesale plant buying places, nurseries and so on. Might be worth visiting and see what jumps out at you.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Sarah Bellum posted:

This is the space I'm working with:

Right now we have most of the exterior fence and all of the hedging done. The rest is still a mix of swamp and desert punctuated with piles of bricks.
Herbaceous perennial ideas:
If your garden has nice wet and shady areas, maybe Hosta, the bigger leaves, glaucous varieties. The new shoots in spring are also tasty.
Also, Rodgerseria "Irish bronze" or something, has very dark red leaves. Don't eat them.