Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bina posted:

If it is salt, would it hurt the plant? I use filtered water to water my plants. (Brita filtered)

Depends on that plant. If you filter it, then it's probably not salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Planet X posted:

What can anyone tell me about false aralia? I bought one, and it's just losing leaves like crazy. I have it next to a window with soft light, I keep it misted, no drastic temperature extremes. Any tips? It cost me a fair amount of $ and I'd really like to keep it healthy. Mom had one back in the day and it did fine.

I've had 2 false aralias. Both had the same symptoms as yours and died. I moved on. That plant was probably the most finicky plant I've ever tried, along with lucky rabbit's foot ferns.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

gender illusionist posted:

So I'm thinking about getting a terrarium which will be living away from natural light so I think it'll need a grow lamp of some kind. Would a standard white LED bulb do the trick, or would I need one with a bit more emission down in the red end of the spectrum? I don't want to use one of those grow lamps you can see on ebay; they are ugly as hell.

They make grow bulbs, you know. All different kinds and sizes are available, so you can find one to fit whatever fixture you desire. The most common grow bulbs are fluorescent tubes, but there are CFLs, LEDs and even some incandescents with special coating filters. As for the color, that depends on what you're going to plant in that terrarium. Different plants at different stages of growth and propagation like different wavelengths of light. Or you could just get a full spectrum grow bulb and be lazy.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 16, 2014

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Shame Boner posted:

I need forearm-length gloves since my arms and hands break out in hives if I even think of pruning some of my perennials, especially azalea. As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as a men's rose gardening glove. Are there any good stand-ins?

Check out welding gloves. If you have short forearms, you might even find some that will reach to your elbow. Hell, I use insulated welding gloves as oven mitts.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

Unrelated question--what controls when bulbs and the like start sprouting? We had about 10 days of sub-freezing weather around Thanksgiving or so, and it's been much milder since then. I've noticed a ton of stuff starting to pop up in my garden beds. I haven't lived here a whole year yet so I'm not sure if this is normal or if they think it's spring already. Are there crazy things that start growing this early, or is this all going to die again if it gets cold again or fails to get warmer when they expect it to?

For most, bulbs and such, it's temperature. That's how some growers will "force" spring blooming bulbs simply by bringing them into room temperature. So if your weather is wonky and you get cold weather early followed by mild temperatures, they might think "it's Spring!" and start growing early. Don't worry, they will go back to sleep and wait until warmer temperatures. The same thing would happen if there's a normal start to spring followed by a cold snap a few weeks in.

Then there's weirdo bulbs like voodoo lilies that will bloom without warmth, dirt, or even light. Somehow, they just know it's the time of year to bloom.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ghetto wormhole posted:

Just mist the roots or drop a couple ice cubes on them once a week. Did the plant get cold when you were bringing it home by chance? Might be why the petals fell off. You can get fertilizer to use if you want it to grow faster but they generally take months or years to rebloom.

What he said. Orchids typically do better the less you water them. Just make sure it's in a sunny window and barely water the thing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nettle Soup posted:

Ah, it can go next to my amaryllis and tiny Christmas Cactus and be ignored then, awesome! I'd heard they were hard to keep alive and was worried it was going to need ceremonial chanting and blood rituals every other day or something.

Don't get us wrong, some orchids are notoriously hard to maintain. That being said, they do make special soil mixes especially for orchids. Their main advantage is that they're extremely free draining, exactly the best environment for orchid roots. If you use a regular soil mix for orchids, then that's just an invitation for root rot.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pogo the Clown posted:

I think this is correct. If you do a Google image search for "ailanthus altissima in winter" you'll find several images that match your photo with the dry clumps of seeds at the ends of the branches. The only thing that bothers me is that I can't find a single picture anywhere of the seeds outside of their paper wing thingy.

And they do kind of smell. Best description I've heard is burned peanut butter.

That reminds me of another common houseplant whose name escapes me. It's very small, but its leaves are very dark and have very prominent veins that were colored pink. When the leaves were broken, they smelled very prominently of lettuce?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pogo the Clown posted:

Fittonia albivenis?

Bingo, that was it. Thanks!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

upsciLLion posted:

hobbit jade cuttings

You mean Gollum jade?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kedo posted:

Question about repotting – how do I know when it's time to repot a seedling? One of my Meyer lemon seedlings is getting pretty big and I've noticed he's sent a first little root tendril down through one of the water drainage holes in his solo cup.

Is he ready for a bigger pot? Is there any potential downside to putting a younger seedling into a bigger pot? I've read a few places that small seedlings in a big pot run the risk of "drowning," but I'm not sure how that would really happen... is it that if you have a small plant that's not drinking much water, you can't keep the potted soil from drying out without giving it way more water than the tree can possibly use?

The general rule for repotting for plants of all sizes is to do it when the root ball just starts to become root bound. By "root bound" I mean that the roots completely cover the outside of the root ball. You can see this when you pull up the whole plant out of its pot. Google images has some great examples of root bound plants. You can also usually tell if a plant is root bound when it has roots at the surface.

Repotting too early comes with few issues. First, if a plant isn't even close to root bound yet, then the dirt will fall away when you pull the plant out of the pot. Aside from the mess this can make, that can be a problem for plants whose roots break easily. Then there's the issue of fanning out roots when you repot what's now essentially a bare root plant. As for "drowning", that's mostly a problem if the new giant pot has no drainage, which a lot of the huge decorative glazed ceramic ones (think bigger than 12") don't have. With tiny plants in giant pots like that, if the plant can't suck up the water fast enough, then all the water will settle to the bottom. That's when you notice that the top is dry, but in fact the bottom of the pot is full of water, you can't see it and the plant just can't reach it. So you go to water it... The water level rises and you drown the plant. If the plant isn't a bog plant, then it's boned.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If you have an office with fluorescent light, you could try a ZZ plant too. About the only way to kill one of those is to water it too much. They're called "Eternity Plants" for a reason.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

If there's any plant I'd expect to ask "feed me, Seymour", it would be this plant.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Skizzzer posted:

So cool. Now to figure out where to get one...

FYI don't expect it to look like that all the time. That looks like special lighting and camera tricks.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kedo posted:

Can anyone help me identify what type of oak this is?

I found a few acorns on a hike over the winter and decided to germinate them. I'm in northern VA and the area where I found them was hilly with mostly 30-70 foot trees.

I'm thinking it might be some sort of chestnut oak?

That's one of the oaks with broad, shallowly-lobed leaves. It might also be a swamp oak, but their leaves tend not to get as pointy.

What did the acorns look like?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ghetto wormhole posted:

That's what I thought.

Thirding peony. Speaking of peonies, don't be alarmed when you find the flower buds covered in ants. Peonies actually need ants to eat the sticky stuff off of their sepals that is holding their buds shut. My mom has a story she loves to tell about a friend of hers that always gassed the hell out of her peonies, then never got any flowers.

Last peony fact: peony flowers are too big for their stalks and act like big cups. The next time it rains after they bloom, expect to see your peonies bent over to the ground. They do make special wire support rings to help hold up peonies.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 15, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

EagerSleeper posted:

^^^^What is this madness you speak of? :catstare:

Does anyone buy plants online, and know of some good places to buy some? A while ago, somebody posted a cool link where you can buy affordable bamboo plants. I'm still kinda considering have some sweet awesome bamboo that I can use in my arts and crafts/DIY project, but I also like different sorts of plants too. Plants in general, you can say.

Mostly I'd like to buy a collection of various plant cuttings, and maybe some cool perennials. Air plants are cool too!

Check out PlantFiles at https://davesgarden.com. While they don't sell plants directly, it's a huge plant database where you can find the plants you want, then if you're lucky, a seller will have it for sale with a link to their website where you can buy it. Dave's Garden also has user submitted seller ratings too, so you can see if someone is a bad seller. Poke around enough in the seller ratings and you can find specialty growers, like only seeds, bulbs, veggies, fruits, tropicals, succulents, carnivores, etc.

That being said, I've bought tons of stuff from Forest Farm and Lazy S Nursery. They both have huge selections, but their pictures suck. I would definitely use Dave's Garden pictures, then cross reference by the genus and species or follow the sellers' links.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

vonnegutt posted:

What's something cool that really likes wet feet?

We've acquired a rain barrel that fits a planter into the lid. It's got a wick to the main barrel, so it acts as an overflow of sorts. It's also open on top so it will be collecting rain that way as well.

We're thinking mint since it's five feet off the ground: does it like to be soggy?

Look into bog plants. Maybe a canna?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I want a Kaleidoscope Mayapple.

Only problem is that it's so rare, nobody has them for sale! Does anybody know of any nurseries selling it?

Mr. Soop posted:

Why not American Pitcher Plants? :getin:

I thought all carnivores were bog plants?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 22, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Communist Pie posted:

So I got a pothos back in August, and it has grown really well, it reached down to the bottom of the pot when I planted it, and now (I really should take more cuttings, and fill it out, but I kind of just want to see how big it'll get at this point)

Good luck with that. Pothos can easily do 20-30 feet from their pot.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Seriously, does anyone know where I can get a Kaleidoscope Mayapple, or at least some ornamental ones?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pogo the Clown posted:

I have no idea, but some random Google-ing brought up a few leads:

Plant Delights Nursery has a hybrid called "Galaxy" which they claim is nearly identical and for sale right now on the website.

and

Hallson Gardens claims to sell it via mail order April to mid-May, so you may just have missed it for the year.

Thanks. I found that first link. I also think I figured out why nobody has it for sale anymore, even though it was patented. If you look at all the pictures for it, the pattern isn't consistent. That probably means that the variegation isn't stable and probably reverts after awhile. Oh well. I was always a fan of the native mayapples that grow wild around here, and that those new hybrids lasted all year.

Now I'm looking at a Stinking Hellebore 'Wester Flisk'. I have this very shady spot in my garden that I swear is death row. Nothing grows there no matter how well I amend the soil. I've got some toad lilies, a bleeding heart, a heavenly bamboo, a lungwort barely hanging on and a very leggy oak leaf hydrangea on the sunny edge. So far I've killed a pieris, a couple coral bells and the hosta in the corner there didn't come up this year. Does anyone have any ideas on what will grow there?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Marchegiana posted:

I've grown Ajuga reptans (bugleweed) in total shade (and I mean total shade- it's in that awkward area under my chimney on the north side of my house) and it just thrives. The 6 plants I started with have spread to a mat covering a 4' by 6' area. My question though is how wet is the area? Hosta should do well in shade, but if the site gets too wet during the dormant season your hosta crowns under the soil will rot. If you've got a wet site you'd probably do well with some ferns. Cimcifuga racemosa (black snakeroot) is also a very good statement plant for a wet shady spot. Native wildflowers are also a good bet, things like trilliums, bloodroot, jack-in-the-pulpit, etc.

Keep in mind a wet site might not mean it's wet year-round. If things are dry during the summer but it's sopping during the winter that can be death for a lot of plants, because their roots will just turn to goo while they're dormant.

I've got some bugleweed growing wild in my grass on the back edge of the yard. I didn't plant it and I can't see any neighbors from my place with it. I kind of like it there because grass doesn't grow there too well. That spot is also shady on a steep slope with lots of lovely clay because I had to dig up the posts for a wood fence there that ivy that swallowed and broke. I dug up the ivy roots too. End result, I got crappy dirt along my back fence and I found neighbors I never knew I had.

Anyway, I was looking for something taller than a ground cover. It's drier there than wet, but a hosta already died in the back corner in that bed. Then again that might be because of my dog "watering" it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

foxatee posted:

Did I kill this thing? Is there any way to save it?

First off, that is a hydrangea, and it looks like its going through some transplant shock. That new growth on the right looks very healthy.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

foxatee posted:

So should i pull off the little obviously dead flowers? I have petunias that I do this with. Both plants were mother's day gifts, and I really don't have a green thumb.

Yes. For any transplant, you want the plant to focus on new leaf and root growth instead of on reproduction. That's what flowers are really for. Remove those and the plant will put all of its energy into growth instead of doing 2 jobs. Note that if it isn't late enough in the season for the plant to try to flower again, you'll have to keep removing flowers for a few months. That's more of a problem though with plants that flower until frost (roses, etc).

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 23, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Marchegiana posted:

That's Campsis radicans, or trumpet vine. They are indeed native but people usually don't grow them in gardens because they're highly aggressive and impossible to get rid of once they're established. I've heard there are some less aggressive hybrids but I take that with a grain of salt.

Growers also developed a few other colors than red if that's your thing. But yeah, they're extremely aggressive, even for a native. Probably the best advice I ever heard for planting one of those is if you have an isolated telephone pole in your yard with no trees around that it can reach and spread to.

cloudy posted:

Apologies if this has bethetalked about before.

For growing plants indoors, anyone have any fungus gnat control options? Every website I've checked has something different listed, and they all seem to be equally useless snake-oil type stuff.
I think the thing I saw that seemed most promising was replacing the top layer of soil (where larval stages occur) with sand. But obviously I'd love an easy "spray this" or "sprinkle this" kind of solution if anyone has something.
I'm using terra cotta pots, and actually not watering very much at all. But I just think the plant I potted hasn't had time to expand roots yet, so the soil isn't drying as fast as it needs to.

Can you do the nuclear option and replace all the dirt? I did that once with a fungus gnat infestation.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

cloudy posted:

I read about sterilizing store-bought potting soil in the oven to avoid this mess again. Anyone done that before?

Store bought soil from the big brands comes sterile, assuming it hasn't been punctured and rained on. That being said, I have heard of people "cooking" soil for 10-20 minutes at 250° to sterilize it. I've heard that it works with soils already infested.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

hello fence posted:

it gets some direct sunlight (north facing window) and I live in socal.

Where in California is the sun in the northern sky? Anyway, when succulents get leggy or droopy, that usually means that they aren't getting enough light.

foxatee posted:

Hope you don't mind me bothering you again, but I don't know what the hell this plant is that my daughter has been growing for months now.

She planted seeds as part of a science series at the local library, but we don't know what kind. It seems to be doing okay with just daily watering, but I'd like to know how big this thing is gonna get. It also used to stand straight up, but has never been the same since we foolishly put it outside and a thunderstorm ravaged it. Anything we can do?

That looks like some type of wildflower. If you really want to have it stand up straight, you could train each stem by using a stake and some string.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Get the best photo you can, post it here and search around for what it bugs/diseases could be: aphids, scale, mites, etc.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ghetto wormhole posted:

I've never heard of anyone growing one on purpose just because they create a huge mess.

Very true. In the old days when people dried clothes outside, you could expect to see purple stains in your clothes from bird poop. These days, it's more bird poop on your car.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bozart posted:

So a tall tree in my yard is covered with poison ivy, extending up maybe 70 feet. Is there a way to get rid of it without having to cut the tree down? Can I just spray with some kind of herbicide a few times and wait for it to come down?

Have you even checked if poison ivy affects you? A lot of people are immune.

Also, you're thinking about this a lot harder than you need to. Cut the vines at the ground. Everything up in the tree will die and come down eventually. You may need to keep cutting the new growth over time, but it should die eventually.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

cov-hog posted:

Hi thread, does anyone have any experience with Amorphophallus konjac / voodoo lily? I bought two little plants last month. Both plants sent up offshoots, but now the original plants are dying. I'll still probably re-pot all four of them just in case the two dying ones can recover, but does anyone have any tips for their general growth and maintenance? I'm trying to keep them indoors as houseplants because there are so many rabbits here, but I'm not sure if they need more light than that? What size of pot is best relative to the plant size? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good, rich and well-draining soil for these guys? Can I overdo it with the fertilizer?

They're super weird plants with a single giant leaf and a mottled stem. I'm really smitten with them but I worry that my inexperience is killing them :(

I have both plants known as voodoo lilies in my yard, along with rabbits. They've never touched my voodoo lilies. The Amorphophallus ones I keep in the shade, while the Dracunulus ones go in full sun.

That being said, when I originally bought them, I got them too late in the year to plant them outside. Well, the Amorphophallus one lived up to its name and forced itself in storage, so I potted it. It stank up the house, grew real healthy in the pot with no fertilizer in a sunny window... but it didn't survive the transfer outside. It was a shame too, I got a huge tuber the size of a baseball that cost me $15 for a single one. Personally, I blame him. He was the one that insisted on becoming an indoor plant.

For the record, my replacements outside are doing great. They leaf out VERY late in the year (late June/July), so expect to second guess them every year that they didn't survive that winter. They're doing great under my silver maple, in a garden I call "death row" because that loving maple sucks all the water out of the ground. I hate that tree.

Last tip: you may have to amend the soil with sand or perlite to make it freer draining. They don't like being soggy. Actually, that tip goes for most bulb/tuber/corm plants.

bog pixie posted:

Does anyone know, even in general, what kind of plant would look like a fern but have tiny flowers and something like seeds growing underneath each stem instead of spores on the leaves?

That almost sounds like a legume. Some of them can look very fern like.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 18, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

vanmartin posted:

Much appreciated. I've been toying with the idea of introducing red wigglers into the heap. Not sure if it's a good idea though.

That's vermicomposting, not regular composting.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The children will be hybrids, not the parents. You would have to plant the seeds obtained from a successful cross breeding. That new plant's fruit would have the blended features, most likely. Cross breeding doesn't always have the intended results. Sometimes, any seeds produced wouldn't be viable, or that the resulting hybrid will be sterile. That's actually a strategy used sometimes by professional plant breeding companies. If the plant you spent decades developing can't reproduce via its seeds, then that removes one source of potential customers obtaining their own plant outside of your control. Legally, they will have to come to you or a licensed nursery to buy their own vegetative clone, at least until your patent expires. A lot of rose cultivars are like that.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 4, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That looks like an orchid.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MythObstacleIV posted:

I have a Cattleya Bactia orchid. It had four blooms that just fell off and the stalk is looking a little brown. What should I do now? Leave it alone or cut it? If cut it, how far down?

That's what orchids do: grow a flower stalk, bloom, that stalk dies, falls off and repeat. In other words, you can either cut that part off now and wait for the remainder to fall off later, or just wait for the whole thing to fall off.

But like GI said, your orchid looks very healthy. Good work!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That's some type of succulent, a pretty old one to reach that height.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kedo posted:

A few questions about indoor growing.

I have several plants that need to come inside for the winter (a couple of young citrus trees, a pepper plant, maaaybe some basil), however I have two problems. First, I have cats that will eat anything green within reach and second, my windows have a slight UV coating so while I get lots of sun, sun-thirsty plants tend to not do so well.

To solve the cat problem, I bought one of these guys from Ikea. So far the few plants I've had in there all summer have done fine, however they're shade or partial shade plants. Once I introduce a bunch more plants in there, I worry that A) the new plants won't get enough sun, and B) there might not be enough air flow in the cabinet to keep all the plants happy.

Ikea sells a lighting set that fits in the cabinet, but I'm guessing they wouldn't work as grow lights. Does anyone have opinions on an indoor lighting setup that might fit in there? In terms of air flow I'm not sure what to do... would it work to drill out a few holes on the top/bottom and stick a small fan in there to move air around a bit?

If I had my druthers I'd set up a cool grow cabinet in a corner somewhere, but my apartment is small and the girlfriend wouldn't be happy if we had a big ugly box plopped in the middle of a room.

I would buy some 18" T8 fluorescent fixtures and stick some grow bulbs in them. Little 18 inch ones come with a cord already attached along with the ballast and starter, everything you need you need to drive a grow bulb. As for attaching them, maybe some double sided tape? That should be easy to get off the glass later with a window scraper.

Edit: if you really want to get fancy, get an electric timer for them too. Christmas is coming up, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding an outdoor grade one. Make sure to get one with a 3 prong outlet if you need one. Don't forget: you can plug a power strip behind the timer if you need to power several lights. I've done that before with grow lights during the winter when I lived in an apartment.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 7, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kedo posted:

That seems like it'd work quite well. Thanks for the recommendation!

Oh crap, I got it wrong. Most 18 inch under cabinet fixtures take a T8 bulb, not a T5. For fluorescents, the "T" size refers to the diameter of the bulb, where a "T" is equal to 1/8 an inch.

You should be able to pick up both the fixture and the bulb at any hardware store, along with the mounting tape and a glass scraper for later.

edit: feel free to get longer fixtures if need be. Just make sure that they have cords pre-attached and that they have grow bulbs available for them.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This one is a fungus, not a plant, but it's still cool looking. Devil's Fingers!