Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Waltzing Along posted:

Can anyone recommend a good soil pH tester? I bought one from amazon but it didn't work so I sent it back. 90% of the ones on there are the same one from china in one of a few different configurations. Or they cost $100+
Sending soil samples to your local land grant university/county extension service is usually pretty cheap and much more accurate and they give you a full report on all the nutrients and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Violets are one of those great/awful plants that, in the space of two inches, go from being the thing I want to grow to a noxious an ineradicable weed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

Little tiny region of bark splitting on my tree trunk here. Not sure what to make of it.

Tree looks pretty good so far. The longest new branch is a good 7 or 8 inches I think.
Your tree's trunk is increasing in diameter and bark doesn't stretch like skin so it has to break and shed. It's entirely normal and probably a good sign.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

That’s about what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a sign of rodent chewing or something.

Unless this thread advises me otherwise, I’m planning to give the tree its first fertilizer tomorrow, which’ll be 6 weeks to the day after it was planted. I’m thinking just a few granules per square foot should be okay for a tree this young.
I would not. This year just let it hang out and grow roots and get comfortable. The root/shoot ratio is very important to transplanting stuff-a fertilizer will encourage a lot more shoots but not grow more roots. If you push it to grow a bunch of new leafy green stuff, it may not have enough roots to support the new growth.

Trees just need time and to take things their own pace. If things go well this summer, you could think about fertilizing next spring, earlier in the spring before it leafs out, but I'd personally give it two years to do its thing-it'll probably shoot up the third year fertilizer or not. It's doing fine now, but spring is easy living-when the hot, dry days of August and September come you will find out how it's really doing. Really the best thing you can do is forget about your new tree until February, except to maybe water it deeply (stick a hose at the base, set it so a stream a little smaller than your little finger is coming out, leave it on for an hour or two)every week or two.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Also you may know this but don't water zinnias from above
Is that what causes the bottom leaves to go all brown and spotty? I never water my zinnias (which seem to reseed themselves and have basically become a weed in my yard and this winter we never got a real freeze so now they are everywhere) but we get a ton of rain in the summer and by late summer they start looking pretty ratty. I read somewhere treating the seeds briefly in a bleach solution before planting kills whatever fungus they carry in them, but I haven’t actually sown any seeds in 3-4 years. They definitely seem to like it hot and dry. Except for the above, nothing bad ever seems to happen to mine, but yours look maybe too wet OP? Especially the dead one has that mushy, fungusey, overwatered look to me- like damping off but for grown up plants.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Since there was some zinnia chat, here's some zinnias:

The plumbago and roses behind them have gotten way out of control. There's some cool double ones in there, but I can't remember what I actually planted.

This is whatever disease they seem to get-anyone know what it actually is?

Volunteers that came up in the backyard in some compost or mulch or something:

My bottlebrush buckeye is really blooming right now too. It's got some little volunteers coming up under it so all my friends are about to get little buckeyes of their own.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Plantation grown trees are very good at this too, and the ones that get turned into lumber store carbon in a useful way. Your wood framed house is built out of sequestered carbon.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bina posted:

I live in Seattle. What is this? It has such a wonderful scent~
Flowers look like a hyacinth, and they smell nice. They’re a bulb that grows out of the ground. Pics of leaves/ the whole plant help too-lots of flowers look like other flowers.

E: just saw the little leaves up by the flower. Definitely not a hyacinth

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 12, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m not 100% sure about hardiness (I’m in 8b and bordering on 9) but agapanthus loves containers and actually loves being rootbound in them. Nice foliage and then cool big tall flowers. There are a few different varieties that bloom slightly different times-you could plant a few in there and see what likes it best. It’s fine in full sun or part shade. Might die back in winter but always comes back for me. That’s a big enough container you could probably plant just about anything in it, at least for a while.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Solkanar512 posted:

So I was just handed a bunch of rose cuttings, looks to be first or second year growth. I took off what was left of the flowers, cut the bottoms and put them in water for now.

My plan (once this thunderstorm is done) was to cut the leaves off, trim them into sections with several nodes, use root hormone and put them in a really well draining soil.

Is that the right way to go about it? Should I do fewer but longer cuttings? Any good resources out there?
At least here, roses seem to root better in the fall than in the summer, but this is a weird climate and YMMV. Otherwise your approach sounds about right. You could leave a few leaves on and it won't hurt if you keep them well watered/humid. I've never gotten anything less than pencil thick to root, and usually use cutting 6-8" long? Stick 3-4" in the dirt?

I've not had great luck rooting old fashioned roses (also make sure the cuttings are from roses that will actually grow on their own roots, not just grafted onto tougher rootstock) but a friend of mine is great at it and the above is what she does. She also thinks hardened off first yr growth roots best if you can find it that is thick enough, and she always leaves anything she wants to root in water for 24 hrs before sticking it too, then cuts off a fresh end and sticks it in some dirt.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

More useful info on pokeweed in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSsVvlj6YA

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What weed killer is it? What chemicals are listed on the label?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My elephant ears got huge and are over 8' tall now. Please feel free to admire them. I think it's super cool that they aren't woody and get that huge. We didn't get a really hard freeze this yr so I never cut them back.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

abelwingnut posted:

thanks. i'm not sure i understand what you wrote. are you saying the evening sun variety can produce the multiple, multicolor flowers per stalk, or a combination of all those things?

and is it ok to plant these now or in the coming weeks? it gets cold here in a little over a month.

and yes. i would say most places in brooklyn have areas in the back. some places have turned that into a lane or alley or whatever, others a yard, others who knows what else. where i am, almost all yards.
For books, Michael Pollan's "Second Nature" is very good. He's writing about NY/CT and its sort of about his journey as a gardener. Not as much practical advice, but some good thoughts on design and just sort of the idea of gardening. It always gets me inspired.

Process/designwise, I would start on the edges, and use them to define the shape of the grass. A little bit of well maintained grass looks better and helps set off the beds around/in it. I'd do something like a U shape of beds around the sides. You have a long skinny space, and that makes a nice long visual axis-the center of the far end of your yard is going to be the focal point from the house, so it might be a good place to put something interesting-A really nice japanese maple, a sculpture, a fountain, a bench, whatever. Something that makes you want to go out there is good. Around the edges (and especially behind that focal point) I'd try and fill in with a nice evergreen hedge/shrub or vine to turn all those fences a nice even dark green. That will really highlight any flowers you might put in the beds between the hedge and the grass. Maybe an arbor of old fashioned climbing roses between the patio and the grass lawn to help define the space-we go under here and now we are in the garden, not on the patio- and it can help frame the view, emphasizing that long axis and focal point at the other end.

Annuals are fine, but perennials are really the best. You are in a place where you can grow peonies and I'm jealous, but i think they do take a few years to get going. Most daylillies are bulletproof and there are a million varieties and good perennial summer color. Pretty much anything that grows from a bulb/tuber is usually pretty hardy and will come back year after year and be hard to kill. I'm not familiar with your climate exactly, but there are a zillion kinds of alliums that make giant cool ball shaped flowers year after year. Irises do well here and they have nice foliage even when they aren't flowering. If agapanthus are hardy where you are, they are super awesome and reliable.

Get the catalog for White Flower Farm and let your imagination start going crazy. Go to whatever botanical gardens are near you and see what's blooming when and what you like. Most everything will be labelled so it's easy to find out what things are, and the staff are usually very helpful, knowledgeable plant nerds who would love to tell you all about them.

I'd start planning and laying out and working up your beds this fall/winter if you can, and then they'll be ready for planting come spring. You don't need to build raised beds or anything (and I wouldn't if you want a nice garden to look at), just lay out where you want beds, kill the grass, maybe turn the soil over with a spade or fork and add some compost or other amendments to lighten/uncompact the soil. Mulch over it and let it chill out all winter. If you really get up some gumption, a brick border or something between grass and bed looks nice and makes mowing a little easier.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ReapersTouch posted:

Wanting to plant a row of flowering bushes in my back yard for pollinators and my kids to play around. The yard will get full sun and we live in zone 7a, so I'm thinking of butterfly bushes, lilac, camellia, and spirea.

Anyone have any experience with them or any other suggestions?
I’m much further south/coastal than you, but in my experience spirea is totally bulletproof.

Camellias japonica is possibly my favorite shrub and very nice but slow growing and usually needs some shade to get going. Not sure I’ve noticed pollinators on them really, but they bloom in winter here. Camellia sasanqua are faster growing, and the bees definitely love them and they can take more sun. They bloom in the fall. Both need fairly acidic soil like azaleas and like to be planted a little high. They will not tolerate poor drainage and are probably going to need pretty regular water their first summer or two especially if they’re in the sun. Not sure about winter hardiness where you are, but my aunt used to grow them in central Virginia. In general sasanquas are much more hardy and vigorous than japonicas.

Pollinators definitely like blueberries, and they can make a nice shrub. Flowers in spring, nice red foliage in fall, and delicious berries in early summer. If you can grow azaleas in your area, pollinators love them too. Native ones especially, but all make a lot of nectar. They and blueberries also require acidic soil as well (see a trend here? I live in a swamp made of tannic/acidic live oak leaves). Abelia also is always covered in butterflies and blooms all summer-mix it in with spirea and blueberries and you get white flowers for months

Butterflies and bees love zinnias. Super easy to grow annuals-just scratch up some bare dirt and throw some seeds on top, scratch the dirt again and water for a week or so. My phlox and plumbago also always have butterflies on them, and phlox is perennial. Plumbago is perennial here but barely and doubt it would be much north of here.

Best thing for pollinators (and just gardening in general imo) is to try and always have something blooming throughout the growing season. Drive around the old part of town at different times of the year and see what’s blooming. Nobody gardens like people used to, so you can be guaranteed whatever is growing there is very happy in your area, and can tolerate being completely ignored.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If the flowers smell like heaven, it’s a gardenia. It sure looks like one. They are a bit finicky to grow-I’ve never heard of them being grown indoors, but they can be grown outside here, so that my be why nobody grows them indoors here.

Are there tiny black bugs on it? They can get thrip problems pretty bad that make the flowers yellow very quickly and there is a nutrient deficiency I can’t remember that they are prone to that might be causing the yellowing/blackening leaves. A little bit of a complete fertilizer like miracle grow might help. They don’t like to stay super wet either. I dunno what your watering schedule looks like for it, but let the soil dry out a bit between waterings. They are evergreen, but they do also just drop leaves naturally throughout the year.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is it feasible to mulch it all up and scatter it across the whole garden? Or create a pile or two? I generate a reasonable amount of wood shavings and paper shredding so I can seed an initial compost with a bunch of carbon but again it wouldn't be something I could be regularly futzing with. Last time I tried that on a smaller scale it resulted in something of a sad mess.

The garden right now is a lot of tall grasses and big ol' bushes, no trees to deal with. The lawn as it was won't be surviving the redesign both because I don't need so much lawn and because it was in need of anti-compaction efforts anyway. I've also got a burner bin available if that's at all helpful to breaking things down usefully.
Any of these are good options IMO. If you already have some idea where you'll have beds in the new garden, put most of the mulch there. You can just chop it down and let it rot in place without mulching if you want, but it will rot down faster ( and probably look nicer in the meantime) if you mulch it. A compost pile probably rots stuff more efficiently/quickly, but just scattering it on the ground is going to have the same result, and the bugs and the worms will still do their work. Burning is good if it's allowed, and ashes are mostly good for soil too.

Wood shavings take a frustratingly and surprisingly long time to rot and tie up a lot of nitrogen while they do. I wouldn't put them in compost and would burn them instead.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

At least you know the greenhouse works!

I would feel so satisfied and accomplished after cleaning all that out.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have found that the roots on cuttings rooted in water are very delicate and need to be handled carefully. Once you move it to soil, I’d give it a while before you added fertilizer. Let it spend a good while getting comfortable and growing roots before you start pushing top growth. Figs are pretty tough and easy to root usually, so it’ll probably be fine.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

In good news however I managed to finally get a specimen I have coveted for a long time: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklinia

extinct in the wild, extremely rare and hard to find potted even at high end nurseries. Has incredible fall color, very cool flowers, and interesting growth habit.

Local nursery was going out of business and when I asked about whether they had a hookup to find any, dude went into the back and brought out two 2-3 year saplings for me in little quart pots, no charge (probably didn’t hurt that I’ve dropped like 200 bucks total on other poo poo). I was elated

Now, gotta try to figure out how to keep these fuckers alive. Repotted into gallons with high end potting soil, but they need hyper specific conditions to flourish in ground. Pretty sure they went extinct for a reason, but Super hoping that I can pull this off once I get soil tested where I think at least one will go
That’s exciting! I’ve never grown (or seen!) Franklinia, but some friends have a closely related Gordonia and it is finicky with reasonably demanding requirements as well. What’s your native soil like/what area are you in? I think the natural habitat of both Gordonia and Franklinia is on slight slopes just above the flood plain-plenty of water, but no standing water. They probably don’t like wet feet and need very well drained soil, but also aren’t very drought tolerant. I would think it would like fairly acidic, sandy soil like is common to river bottoms in the southeast. If you’re in the hot, Deep South, it would probably appreciate some high part/dappled shade especially while it’s getting established. Most of those small bottomland evergreeens are really understory trees and prefer some protection from the blazing sun.

And yeah, gently caress deer and beavers. Nothing like planting some nice cypresses along a pond and coming back the next morning to find a dozen perfectly clipped off trunks. Or trying to plant mast trees for the deer to eat the acorns from in 20 years and having the deer just eat every leaf off of them. I AM TRYING TO HELP YOU!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Bt. This is exactly what Bt is best for.

My canned response to the widespread problem of burgeoning deer populations is "spawn more wolves".

Unfortunately that's not a popular option in most suburban areas. It is the correct solution, though.

Coyotes do an okay job on fawns (but unfortunately a much better job on turkey poults), Cronic Wasting Disease is only a state or two away and might pick up the slack? Convincing hunters to shoot more does too instead of just waiting around for that big trophy buck would help too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah dig a big WIDE hole and then add enough stuff (compost, ground pine bark, maybe some sand, whatever) to your native dirt to make it a bit of a mound and that's prolly your best bet. Let it settle and rot for a few months or maybe a year before you plant. Definitely plant it high like an azalea or camellia (Franklinia's actually in the camellia family!), not low. The best time to dig holes for trees you want to plant in December is February. If you can make sort of a berm at the base of the mound to hold water that makes watering easier. If you have a hardpan down under that clay, make sure you dig through it so it can drain. Mulch the hell out of it with pine bark. I've had good luck working ground/rotted pine bark (my Lowe's sells it as 'Soil Conditioner') into clay, but starting with good bottomland dirt would obviously be easier/better.

It's amazing how much better my bottomland swamp yard looks with half the effort vs a friend that lives in sandy clay a few miles away. poo poo just wants to grow here and he has to make it grow there, but it's worth making things grow.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait what? People absolutely grow truffles commercially, there are truffle farms in the south-west of my state. You have to find the right conditions and hope for the best but it's definitely done.
I know it has become a decent sideline business for some pecan growers in pecan orchards in south Georgia/Alabama/N Florida.

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/harvest-georgia-pecan-truffles/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

bird with big dick posted:

Any treeborists able to identify this tree? I'm guessing Austrian Pine based on it being one of the recommended types of trees to be planted in this area based on soil and climate (northern nevada, full sun, clayey soil) and whatnot but it's mostly just a guess. I think the needles are in clumps of 2 but that's based off the photos, not an in person examination.

I really only need to know the approximate mature height of it, for a project I'm working on.

It is a pine, probably a ponderosa, Jeffrey, or lodgepole pine. Tree ID of conifers is a bit difficult from just a picture and pines in particular can be hard to tell apart when young and some of them hybridize pretty freely with other pine species to make like longleaf/slash hybrid pines that aren't quite either. A tree ID book/website focused on the western US is what you need-the ways to tell most of those trees apart when they are immature involve counting needles per cluster and details of the growing tips and cones and stuff. Ponderosa and Jeffrey pines at least can get quite quite large-225'+ tall or more.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Perennial Pals ftw
Flower Buds?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suspect Bucket posted:

Started a little project to sprout some red oaks from acorns. I collected some good seed stock from the local park, got them in the fridge now. Hope I get something viable. Anyone ever done this? It seems simple enough. Just need to save some milk jugs for pots.
I have done it a lot. Oaks are pretty easy. After you collect them, dump the acorns in a big bowl of water and toss any floaters because they’re not usually viable. Red oaks you can hold over winter in the fridge, but white oaks put out a tap root immediately and you should just plant them now and stick them in pots outside covered with wire mesh to keep the squirrels out. Even once they start putting up growth in the spring keep them well covered (I built like a little wire mesh cage) if you have squirrels.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've never grown edible ginger, but I grow a bunch of ornamental gingers here in 8b/9a. Very easy to propogate from tubers, or sometimes they start growing baby plants on spent flowers (there is a name for this but I can't remember it). They like some shade, but otherwise are pretty bulletproof. They go bananas in August/September when everything else is too hot and tired to grow and then die back with a frost but come back every year. There a guy out in the country (where it is colder) I know who grows turmeric and ginger for a local health food store.
Gingerz:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Just a quick check before I cut off the wrong thing, cut the smallest stems on this future super producer of avocados house plant right?

Oh my god those are gorgeous, well done. I'm trying to understand hardiness zones more... my map says I'm 8b ish but I can't remember a time when it got below 20, should I play it like I'm 9a or am I missing something? My yard gets lovely light in the pnw so its confusing for me
It gets down to 20 here occasionally and my ginger still seems fine? There's probably more to it than winter hardiness though I guess. We have hot, wet, sunny, humid summers, a warm dry fall, and then a wet winter. I have pretty fertile, moist but well drained, black dirt with a lot of organic matter in it, but it's very acidic because it's made of rotten oak leaves. I know the gingers like these conditions, but they may well like other things! It might do fine in the PNW? Probably not as hot or as sunny, but the worst that can happen is you spend $20 on some tubers and they die.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Senor Tron posted:

Camellias look really promising, found a good of articles saying that they grow well here, thanks!

Not that familiar with your local climate because I am in the SE US, but camellias usually want some high shade in my experience. They ARE wonderful, but you might look at the much tougher Camellia sassanqua instead of Camellia japonica for your hot and very sunny looking garden. Both like an acidic soil/potting mix. There are some cute, low growing sassanqua varieties I can't think of the name of right now that might be neat. Kumquats are a pretty citrus that can be pruned into a hedge if you want. Rosemary is great too. Old fashioned climbing roses would probably do well climbing on the wall and they aren't fussy at all. 'Clothilde Soupert' is a great one with a great fragrance. Agapanthus is a great easy perennial for warm climates that would look nice in the ground or in a pot.

If it were me, I'd pull up all that gravel and plant perennial flowering plants, but I dunno what your rainfall/water situation is. In my imagination all of Australia is always on fire and in a drought-no idea if that's relevant to your area.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TofuDiva posted:

All of that looks amazing, and I am now really longing to move to a climate like yours.

In the meantime, it's Wintry Mixing here, so I am fussing with house plants and have a (probably silly) question. What do folks here all do with exhausted potting soil?

Usually I just tip it into the compost pile or the garden (unless the plant that was in it developed fungus or something). But for soil that just seems tired and low on organics or other nutrients after a while, I wonder if people ever reclaim it or rejuvenate it for further use.
Have you considered selling it as ‘curated reclaimed artisanal potting soil’?

I just dump it in whatever corner/hole in the yard is convenient because I’m very lazy. It usually has a good texture even if it doesn’t have a ton of organic stuff left. Add a little sand and sterilize it and I bet it would be good for starting seeds/rooting cuttings where you don’t want much in the way of nutrients, but do want good water retention.

E: which reminds me I forgot to stick any rose cuttings before thanksgiving. Maybe it’s not too late.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 12, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bi-la kaifa posted:

My bulbs are coming up! It's a little early but I'm in zone 8b so I'm just hoping it stays mild until spring actually comes around. Is there anything I can do if it goes below freezing again?
What kind of bulbs? Lots of early spring bulbs are sort of evolved to come out very early before the overstory leafs out to take advantage of the free sun with no competition and are adapted to a late freeze or two. In my personal experience daffodils/paperwhite/narcissus can handle a light frost for sure, and hyacinths too. Mulch definitely won't hurt.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm exploring the idea, if it can be used safely I'm for it, I've just had some bad experiences with roundup so I'll probably pay someone to do it

(roundup is also my dads name bc he is a cheapskate)

If by ‘used safely’ you mean you’re worried about overspray, you can use the concentrate undiluted as a hack-and-squirt treatment. Cut the lantana off at the ground and immediately spray glyphosate concentrate on the cut stump and it will absorb down into the roots and keep it from coming back.

If by ‘used safely’ you mean you’re worried about RoundupCancer, wear gloves and long pants/sleeves and don’t take a bath in it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

"these berries sound delicious, healthy for you and foolproof what could go wrong!"

Everything in every seed catalog ever

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If it’s been in the ground a year and is happy and healthy it should be fine. Early spring (whenever that is in your area-usually when the redbuds start blooming in the eastern US) is a good time to fertilize trees. What you don’t want to do is fertilize with a high nitrogen fertilizer right when you transplant a tree and force it to grow a bunch of leaves that the transplant-shocked roots can’t support. For similar reasons, fertilizing a stressed or weak tree is usually a bad idea.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Had fun brutally axe murdering a sago palm yesterday. I hate those bastards-possibly the most unfriendly plant I can imagine.
Before (a few years ago):

Murder in Progress:

I started with clippers but then found out a very sharp axe was perfect. It was like chopping up a giant turnip or pineapple or something-not woody at all.

After:

Not sure what I'm going to do with with that bed. I do need a sort of vertical element there about where the palm was (and it did look nice, just made doing anything in that bed miserable), maybe a camellia or limelight hydrangea that will stay small and add some winter interest or japanese magnolia/maple. Let it be mostly flowers until the tree gets bigger, and then slowly phase out to more shade tolerant bulbs and stuff? I need to divide all the daylillies and agapanthus that are in that bed anyway, so I'll have some of those to spread around, and costco has huge cheap things of gladiolus and acidanthera so I may cover it in those for the time being.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hubis posted:

Man, my houseplants have been doing SO MUCH better this winter since I repotted them last spring into a custom soil mix.

Coral Bark Maple?

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, these are absolutely stunning cultivars, an incredible accent tree!

If you go with a coral bark (specifically Acer palmatum var. "Sango Kaku"), know that you're going to want space. They get around 25' tall with a spread of 20'. It's too common that folks plant smaller trees close to the building then later have to prune the hell out of it. So plant it in the center of that bed, if not a little forward.

Incidentally, if you'd prefer bright green bark over red, look for Acer palmatum var. "Aoyagi".

This is one of my favorite trees in my yard, stunning most of the year to me.

I love those, but I don't know that they'd handle the full blazing sun that spots get 85% of the day in summer. The Bloodgoods and a few other varieties can take all day full sun here, but given the cost of a decent size japanese maples, I'm not sure I want to experiment with one in such a risky spot. I have a little delicate mounding cut-leaf one of some variety in the back that gets some shade and it is happy as a clam though. I wish I could have a whole yard of japanese maples and camellias.

I think I've decided to just fill it up with herbaceous perennial flowering bulby things for now and reassess in a few years. That'll give the stump/roots of the palm some time to rot down too, and that stump is exactly where I'd want to put something. I've just realized the power line comes into the house right above that as well, so I may stick with something more shrubby that will only come to the height of the porch or so. I really need to get some planters for the shelves beside my steps and figure out some kind of automatic irrigation for them because I am baaaaaad at remembering to water stuff in pots.

Camellias are blooming all over right now and they're maybe my favorite plant. My great-grandfather was really into breeding them, and they are just such handsome damned plants. Might have to make a Camellia Appreciation :effort: post

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Solkanar512 posted:

Make that effort post, that sounds awesome!

Well then the solution is to plant a large shade tree, then plant a bunch of dwarf japanese maples underneath! If that sunny spot is morning sun rather than afternoon, that will give you a bit of breathing room but if that's afternoon sun it can be rough.

But seriously, I can understand the worry. I'm in the PNW and yeah we were getting week after week of 80+ degrees and my 6' Sango Kaku did fine in full sun (PNW, 80+ degree weeks in the summer, eastern side of the house) but it's because it's a larger tree and I was deep watering it once a week or so. The much smaller trees had to be watered almost daily (in pots) and kept in the shade a bit more and even then there were more than my share of crispy leaves. I did notice that your back fence seems to be slightly shady however...

Costco has a really nice selection of perennial flowering tubers right now, bags of like 6 Dahlias or 18 Lilies for $12.99 in tons of colors if you need any inspiration. Tons of great stuff, you could fill out that bed pretty inexpensively with a poo poo ton of color if you're a member. Also if you're feeling frisky, you could stick something for a nice (NON-INVASIVE HOLY poo poo) vine to give the bed some height and help shade your porch a little bit as well. But I also like to cram in as much color like I'm loving Willy Wanka, so double-check with someone who has actual good taste.

Edit, here are some vines I'm ordering right now in fact, both are varieties of Black Eyed Susan vines:

"Sunrise Surprise"

"Blushing Susie"

Apparently you take cuttings and propagate them indoors to keep them over the winter. And they can be grown as houseplants.

Yeah I’m def. headed to Costco this week for some bulbs. I don’t think dahlias do well here, but I might try some anyway. I’ve thought about growing a big climbing rose up that corner of the porch, but the termite people don’t like you to have anything growing on the house, which is super lame.

I’m on the gulf coast and so summer here is 3 months of 90+ degrees and 80% humidity with a thunderstorm most afternoons, and it never gets below 70-75 at night for a few weeks. The wet and humidity and high nighttime temps are apparently what really fucks with a lot of stuff more than the heat (dahlias being one of them, IIRC), but then tropical stuff loves it so you can grow a fun mix of stuff, but often at opposite seasons from the rest of the country. Growing stuff in containers/raised beds can help some with the drainage and being wet all the time, but it all combines to make the standard gardening advice for most of the country sort of hard to use.

My whole back yard is mostly shaded by a huge live oak, and mostly stuff (including Japanese maples) does a little to a lot better back there than in the full sun front. That shady back fence you mentioned is covered in dead stuff since rn we had a freeze, but in the summer it’s 8’ tall elephant ears and gingers. One day I’d like to maybe replace that with camellias that would have more year-round appeal and not leave me looking at a fence for 2 months.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wear gloves and wash your hands etc. because my dad legit got giardia when I was little from playing in the cat poop filled sandbox with me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Commercial landscapers have dealt with way worse than some dried up cat poo, so I wouldn’t worry toooo much about it.

I remember planting pansies outside some condos at the beach in my week-long career as a commercial flower planter and scooping out a little dirt to make a hole for a plant and just grabbing a huge pile of wet dog poo poo that had gotten tilled into the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I know everyone itt has been waiting with bated breath for this post about camellias, so here is a post about camellias. I live in the heart of camellia country on the Gulf Coast, and the japonicas are at peak bloom right now, providing beautiful flowers all winter long. They’re awesome plants and you might even be drinking camellia juice right now! The genus Camellia has a few hundred species, is native to East and SE Asia, and is in the Theaceae family. Of those species, we mostly care about two, Camellia sasanqua and Camellia japonica for the garden, but the seeds of others get pressed into oil for cooking and beauty products etc.

‘ Ville-de-Nantes’
The most commercially important member of the genus by far is Camellia sinensis, the leaves of which are made into the tea drunk by billions of people around the world every day. Some day I want my own sinensis plant-there is actually a semi-commercial tea farm near me and it would be fun to make my own tea.

‘Alba plena’

Yeah Yeah yeah genus species whatever. Where do it grow?
Anywhere with a relatively mild, moist climate! Most varieties are hardy down to 0 F (zone 7). They love acidic soil, relatively even moisture throughout the year, light shade, and high humidity. They do exceptionally well in much of the SE US, especially in the coastal plain with its milder winters, and are the state flower of Alabama. They also grow quite happily in the milder parts of California and the PNW. They are cultivated in Australia, NZ, the UK, and western Europe (not to mention their native E. Asia) that I know of, and surely more places besides.

(unidentified-I saw it in an older house’s yard on a walk)

Alright, what about those two types we care about?
Camellia japonica is a slower growing, more shade tolerant (and less sun tolerant) species which produces bigger blooms over a longer time period (several months for most varieties). The flowers are not usually fragrant, and they bloom in winter/spring, usually from mid-late November-mid/late March here.

Unknown japonica in my yard in mid February. This is very much the classic japonica shape-a nice column of dark evergreen leaves going all the way to the ground

Camellia sasanqua is faster growing, tolerates more sun, and covers itself every fall in small, slightly fragrant flowers for about 2 weeks in the fall (early November here) It makes a good hedge, and is especially beautiful because as the flowers fade, they drop off individual petals, carpeting the ground underneath.

(I want to hang out with whoever this Old Camellia Guy is)

Camellias do not usually come true from seed and tend to mutate frequently, producing a huge array of individual varieties with flowers ranging from white to red/purple, as well as big differences in form and growth rate. Some are big poofy things like this Professor Sargent I used to decorate some charlotte russe

Or this wild looking one:

‘Sawada’s Mahogany’
Some are just plain flowers, like this exceptionally fast-growing seed grown one a friend gave me:

Some are very regular and formal like these and hide their yellow sexy parts daintily:

‘Sawada’s Dream’

‘Purple Dawn’ (I think)

‘Ave Maria’
Some sit perched on their little leaves, legs akimbo, showing off what they got:

Unknown, found on an old property, maybe ‘Yuletide’

Not everyone has as much to show off :derp:
In addition to variety in form and color, japonica flowers can be wildly variegated and marbleized like the ‘Ville-de-Nantes’ up top.
Sasanquas tend to be either white or pink (or both). I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a really red one.

‘Leslie Ann’ (I think. One of my favorite sasanquas, in any case)

Camellia blooms are flat bottomed and usually float, and floating some in a bowl of water is a nice, grandmotherly way to display them

Camellia breeding was kind of a popular hobby for a while in the south in the mid-late 20th C, and there’s a bazillion of them. The American Camellia Society maintains a Camellia Encyclopedia of 800+ registered varieties you can look at if you need some pretty flowers in your life:
https://www.americancamellias.com/care-culture-resources/camellia-encyclopedia

I’m not sure anyone cares about ornamental gardening anymore like they used to, but camellias were wildly popular in the SE, and require such minimal care that even at the abandoned homes common in the rural South, the camellias are as happy as can be. Their handsome, glossy, dark-green foliage would make them an excellent plant for hedges even if they didn't bloom. BUT WAIT they also bloom for literally 6 months of the year here, making winter every bit as flowery as spring and summer. They're easily propagated by rooting or grafting cuttings, or probably easiest and best, by air layering in spring. The only real downside is that they are a bit slow growing, and so tend to be a bit expensive ($30-50 for a 3 gallon) to buy. They can also be grown in greenhouses and presumably indoors but ikd anything about that.

So uh, go grow plant some camellias if you can I guess.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 17, 2020