Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK so any objection to this?
- Move the plant thread from TGO back to DIY as a "horticulture" thread
- DIY gardening thread becomes the edibles thread? Like back to veggie gardening and similar "english country garden" content?
- Kaiser opens a new outdoorsy greenery thread in TGO

Yeah that makes sense.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for the TGO thread let me know. I’ve got some recommendations on books about trees/forests etc but would love more. Also my very limited edible wild plant knowledge (greenbrier, cattails, and ground nut, lol)could certainly use some expansion. I know the woods of the SE US fairly well, but there’s lots of other types of forests and plants and things to learn about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Platystemon posted:

This magnificent specimen of Quercus lobata in Mendocino County is the largest oak on the continent.

:eyepop: wow that's a monster! I live in the land of huge live oaks (Quercus virginiana) but they are usually low and spreading to keep from getting hurricaned-that beast looks like a live oak that grew straight up.

I made a plant/tree chat in TGO that this kind of big tree chat would be perfect for!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938360

I think JB is moving this thread back home to DIY soon?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

First one kind of looks like a camphor tree or a cherry laurel maybe? Second one is chinaberry maybe? The bark looks right but hard to see the leaves. Third one is a juniper.

E: 1st one might actually be a big overgrown ligustrum/Japanese privet?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 1, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Live oaks are awesome. It's like adding a whole room to your house. They seem much friendlier to garden under than most trees. Not as thirsty and the shade is higher? Maybe they aren't as allelopathic as many other trees? The leaves are the best mulch.

Here's mine, with friendly neighborhood owl.

From years ago when my yard was a barren wasteland of grass

My neighbor took down the one on the left a year or two ago and it broke my heart, but it did give that side of my yard some more sun and my bigleaf magnolia over there shot up like 15' in 2 years.

I really need to prune out all the watersprouts again this winter. It's lookin pretty shaggy compared to that second pic.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

D-Pad posted:

Anybody got a guess how old it might be? I figured at the minimum 200 years, but probably more. I'm not an expert but oaks grow sooooo slow.
It depends a ton on species and conditions. Water oaks can grow stupid fast (I took down a 20" DBH water oak in my yard that was 20 years old) and in good conditions, live oaks can grow fairly quickly as well, especially in good bottomland. Post oaks growing on gnarly rocky outcroppings can be 100 years old and 4" DBH. There are some huge, 80' tall, 3-4' DBH live oaks around here that were planted around plantation houses built in the 1850s, making them ~170yrs old and some others planted in the 1910s when the neighborhood was laid out and you can't tell a huge amount of difference between them. Live oaks can be deceptive because they are to girthy and not tall-they don't look like they are growing 'up' very fast. I'd guess yours are less than 100, but central texas is probably much drier than the gulf coast, so IDK.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

This particular cherry is pretty large, about 40-50 or so feet tall if I had to eyeball it. I don’t think it’s suffering from lack of nutrients or water, I think it’s just been so goddamn hot

I’ve noticed some other cherries around town also dropping leaves, along with red buds and other early bloomers. hope that it’s just this weird year that’s making them call it quits early, but still struck me as odd. would suck rear end if it had somehow died out of nowhere :stare:

definitely wanted to see if anyone else had seen similar poo poo going down

It's not too unusual for trees to shed leaves early, especially at the end of a hot, dry spell. Yes, the tree is stressed, yes it would be best if it wasn't dropping leaves, but usually ime they recover in the spring if they are otherwise healthy. Some trees here seem to slowly drop their leaves over the course of a month or three instead of dramatically dropping them all at once ala New England.

My parents' did randomly lose a few trees this year though. Most surprising was a seemingly healthy 15-20yr old Southern Red oak/Spanish oak/Quercus falcata that just didn't leaf out and then finally did leaf out but only on like three branches. They are usually a tough as nails, drought tolerant tree and we actually had a wetter than usual summer last yr. No idea what happened to it-I guess some kind of didease?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 7, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Goongrats on becoming mod kaiser. The reign of the plant thread begins :catstare:

As my first act as mod, the horticulture thread is getting stickied permanently and I am banishing those filthy vegetable gardeners to the compost heap, may they rot in hell (and be eaten by worms and turned into productive and healthy soil!)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tree 9 and 15 are I believe both Buddleia. Tree 11 is a Mahonia/oregon grape. I think Tree 1 is some sort of Prunus/stone fruit/cherry

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sour cherry - Prunus cerasus is what the app says, but trying to do it from photos is giving me a headache so I'll go back out and try it in person tomorrow.

Is this a "we enjoy doing this sort of thing" place?

Do you remember if tree 7 has flowers, probably in spring/early summer? Specifically white ones that may (or may not) be fragrant? The growth habit/bark and maybe leaves look like Philadelphus/mock orange/English dogwood

E: looks like tree 13 may be more of the same?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

RickRogers posted:

Hooray for Grandmas then.

No. 3, I am pretty sure, at least the flowers jump out at me, is European spindle, or Euyonymus europaeus.
It has rather poisonous fruits! Not great if you have young children. Good if you wish to make pointy sticks. Some old gardener told me that you could get mild contact poisoning from it.:shrug:

I knew that looked familiar! The North America Euyonymus americanus looks very similar. Deer love to eat them. I the wood of the european one got used for inlay work a good bit too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Comrade Cakewalk posted:

I finally found a very similar picture of lantana on google and they said it was aster yellows :( I'll show to the pic to some local plant dudes before I rip out my lantana...

I have yet to see anything that can kill lantanta. I think it'll be fine. Looks to me like they are just setting seed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

First sasanqua about to bloom. That means it's officially finally the pleasant part of the year here.

How is camellia foliage always so incredibly perfect?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I have some identification challenges for you all. I recently bought a house from a very old man who loves to garden. He's forgotten what he planted, and while I can get most of them, I'm still not sure about three plants.

#1 looks like an old azalea or something similar. It's got a lot of lichen going on.

#2 looks like a lily or something. I don't know but he's got part of the parameter lined with them.

#3 I'm not sure, mostly because it's done for the year. It's a grassy tuft with a flower spike.

It's going to be a journey of discovery come spring to see what all comes back.

#1 does look like an azalea/rhododendron of some sort, but no idea what. #2 looks like a calla lily. Happened to wikipedia it to get the scientific name and it looks exactly like this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zantedeschia_elliottiana

Looks like an amazing garden-post more pics!

E: #3 is liatris maybe?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Got a pretty good haul from the JC Raulston Plant Giveaway on Saturday. Usually its a semi-coordinated free-for-all where you go and wrestle weird plants away from nice old ladies, but this year they just had people drive up and get a grab bag or two, depending on how many people are on your membership

Our score included:

Magnolia tripetala- umbrella magnolia
Hemerocallis "Mary Todd" - daylily
Kerria japonica "Fubuki NIshiki"- variegated Japanese kerria
Sempervivum "Neptune"- Chick Charms Silver Suede hen and chicks
Carex oshimensis "Everillo" - variegated Japanese sedge (x2)
Ilex integra "Ogon"- golden Nepal holly
Ficus carica "Jolly Tiger"- variegated tiger fig
Manettia cordifolia- firecracker vine
Pinus engelmannii- Apache pine

Very pleased with the umbrella magnolia, I've wanted one for a little while now but its either been out of stock or outrageously expensive. Most are in the ground now but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the fig, the firecracker vine, and particularly the pine. It has some of the largest needles of any pine, but it gets like 100 feet tall at maturity. I'm definitely going to plant it to continue my inadvertent "check out the giant fuckin leaves on this thing" theme, but siting will prove an issue with that kind of size

Hopefully deer will not gently caress with it if I have to stick it in the way back!! theyve already taken several leaves off of the stachyurus before I erected a cage around him yesterday

That pine sounds neat. I've always figured that for some reason mountain west pines wouldn't do well in the SE, but it's worth a try! Are the needles even bigger than a longleaf pine?

You definitely need a bigleaf magnolia too, it seems.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Both trees are closely related, so the needles are pretty comparable in size, both maxing out around 16-18 inches. I like the branch structure of the Apache more so heres hoping it takes off

also, drat right, already have a bigleaf lol. Also two ashe magnolias in opposite beds in the backyard, so it'll look real wild out there one day. Up front we have a mature magnolia grandiflora and have put in both a star and jane last year that are doing well. so now that im up to seven total, ive either gotta dial back on the magnolias or ramp it up and get a weird collection going on

:gary: Collect! Collect! Collect! Collect! :gary:

I have a saucer/japanese magnolia, a bigleaf, and a huge grandiflora hanging over the fence form my neighbors and I love them all. The bigleaf magnolia has grown insanely fast. I planted it 4-5 years ago and it's already 15-20' tall, but it's also growing in fairly ideal conditions. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I think it might this spring/summer.

There are some neat spots in the woods with bigleaf magnolia, magnolia grandiflora, ashe or pyramid (idk how to distinguish them) magnolia, sweetbay magnolia, cucumbertree, and tulip poplar all growing within sight of each other and it's like a native magnolia museum. I remember reading about some guy in New Jersey with a collection of 200+ magnolia varieties.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

RickRogers posted:

Yeah, here it is really just L. tulipifera that we name tulip tree. I just adore them and would love to climb a big one, as here they are just ornamentals that get pruned regularly. Love the flowers, leaves, crown shape, love the fall colours, the way they move in the wind: even love the stripy bark.

I have a fastigiate cultivar in the garden, let's just wait and see how it goes....

Tulip Poplar is the tallest tree (or maybe just deciduous tree? maybe white pine gets taller?) in eastern North America. The Joyce Kilmer Memorial forest in western North Carolina is like a monument to the tulip poplar. There is a whole grove of virgin ones there and it is pretty spectacular.

In my area where growing conditions aren't quite as good for them, they are fast growing and still get very large. They grow almost as fast and straight as the pines.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

El Mero Mero posted:

Looking for suggestions here. I've got a small space in the bay area with 100% shade (Here are a couple pictures: 1, 2)

That sprinkler doesn't work btw, so it's not a frequently watered spot either.

I'm trying to plant something that will partially block the view of our mailboxes from the street.

The folks at the plant store recommended those as options:
Loropetalum
Pittisporum
Podocarpus
Japanese Maple (my favorite)

The first three though are bit too dense for what I'm looking for though. The Japanese Maple would be perfect, but apparently the tree before we moved in there was a Japanese Maple and it died, possibly because it was too shady of a spot. I'm kinda leaning towards trying again on the Japanese maples because they look so good, but I'm curious what other folks might suggest here.

There are small/dwarf camellias that might do well there. They like shade, don't usually need irrigation in my wet climate, but I'm not familiar with the bay area. Fatsia japonica would be another good option. Both are everygreen. Lorapetulum and podocarpus are snoozeville boring but also pretty tough.

Some other vine thing might be an option, or cut back and train that rose on the fence to screen what you want screened.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Yeah I’d vote for fatsia or an aucuba over anything else. That spot is dark as hell, a maple will struggle there until it eventually succumbs to some manner of rot. Rhododendron could probably hang, maybe never flower but it would fill the space
Aucuba is a great idea I forgot about but buy a big one because they grow slooooow.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Camellia’s are such a delight, can’t wait to expand my collection. I think I’m going to stick to species for now but with Camellia Forest down the road I really can’t help myself. This plantsman poo poo isn’t for the faint of heart or weak of wallet lol
Learning to graft and air layer them is a goal of mine. My great grandfather bred them and propagated them and I’d like to learn. I think air layering is super easy I just always forget to do it. There are still lots of camellia fanciers around and you can get scions for grafting and stuff for fairly cheap. From what I’ve read, it seems like folks root sasanqua cuttings because they are a hardier, faster growing rootstock and then graft whatever onto them. You can grow them from seed too but I never see mine set seed?

snailshell posted:

Gorgeous!!! Have you ever been to Descanso Gardens, in northern Los Angeles? They have an unbelievably beautiful 19-acre camellia collection, allegedly North America's largest.
I have not, but I will if I’m in LA! I’m on the gulf coast and it's pretty prime Camellia habitat here and there are some good collections. They are a surprisingly hardy and adaptable plant for being so danged pretty and refined.

That bud did finally open:

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 7, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Probably not hardy outdoors for you, but purple tradescantia/wandering jew might be up your alley. There are some purple weeping beeches too that are pretty if you have the space.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Hey Kaiser, check this camellia out, very unusual leaves: Sake cup camellia

I thought I was about to buy one during their plant sale, but it turns out the listing was an error smfh. Can't even find more information about it other than the pics on their website and what looks like a couple peer reviewed papers, I'm about to send them an email and get the scoop on how to get some cuttings or something lol

That is super cool and also seems like a heinously bad mutation for a plant that tends to like high rainfall climates. I hadn't even thought about camellias being bred for foliage. Now I want a variegated camellia, but maybe that would ruin the effect? Red, japanese maple kind of veins? Cutleaf camellias? It's all too much.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The above is very true. You might leave a bit more of a stump when you cut it off and hack little notches and fill them full of concentrated glyphosate. Might cut a year or two off the battle. It's important to paint/squirt the roundup on VERY quickly after you cut the stump off-like a minute or less. Those cells apparently close up fast.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

After this thread's tumultuous journey through several forums and names, unsure sense of identity, and considering it has a permabanned OP, I think it thread would be an excellent candidate for trying out a megathread reboot. Does anyone have any interest in writing a new OP or maybe that is something we can do collaboratively? Is now the time to break out houseplants/succulents into their own thread, or do we like them being in this thread too? Thoughts on what this thread should be? General plant appreciation? Flowersonly.com? The Succulent Station?

The current thread would go to the Goodmine and so still be accessible for people without archives. If there are effortposts you've made itt, dig them up and we can link or quote those in the new thread to make them a little easier to find.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for the the thread reboot input!

How do we think the OP should be organized? Any volunteers to contribute? Some quick thoughts I'v had:

1. Plants-they rock!-some words about plants and how neat they are. Maybe some 'what is horticulture?' if we are sticking with Horticulture for the thread title (which I think is a good term)

2. Outside Ornamentals- This thread is mostly for ornamentals, after all. Should we break it down by size (shrub, trees, etc) or annuals/perennials or flowers/foliage? I'm inclined towards herbaceous/woody as a decent way to break things up-plants you see year round vs. plants you don't? Any volunteers for this? Oil of Paris?
2b. EffortPosts from this thread to link to (please volunteer your own-don't be shy!)I know I did one about camellias at some point and I think one about Old-Fashioned roses too that I will dig up. They don't have to be super detailed-pictures are nice when talking about plants imo.

3. Inside Ornamentals- Houseplants, succulents, all that stuff. I am death to houseplants so I can't help, but I know some of you know a ton about those things. Link to Bonsai and Hydroponics threads? Again, share your effortposts and we can link them here.

4. Taxonomy- I don't want to scare anyone away, but it can't be a plant nerd chat zone without some brutal arguments over taxonomy and confusion over common names.

5. Trees?-There's kind of an outdoor plants thread that's maybe about trees over in TGO but It doesn't get much traffic. Trees are awesome maybe we should say a few words about trees?

6. All the stuff I forgot This thread has a very broad scope which is why I love it-if I have forgotten something you care about-let me know!

7. Books/websites/yootoobs?- PYF garden books/websites/youtubes. There was a little plantbook chat in this thread a while ago I will try and find, but please contribute your own favorites!

8. Design?- What plants look good next to other plants, how should gardens be laid out. Maybe I'm the only person that cares about this kind of thing, idk.

Please please someone volunteer to write some chunks of this-y'all have way more knowledge about most of this stuff than I do. I don't think it needs to be hugely in depth (maybe make an effortpost in the new thread we can link to in the OP if you are super into XYZ?) but enough to get a new person excited about the topic and give them the groundwork of 'hey these are houseplants they are cool'

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Solkanar512 posted:

Having a 2nd or 3rd post for online seed/plant shops would be useful. There’s such an insane variety of disease resistant hybrids and old heirlooms out there that you can pretty much find anything you want that will fit your space and climate.

Also, I mentioned in the DIY gardening discord the start of a dahlia breeding project, would periodic write-ups on this be interesting to folks?
I for one am very interested in your dahlia breeding project. And your japanese maple collection. Breeding my own varieties of some weird old plant is one of my life goals.

Including a seed/plant source list is a good idea too.

Oil of Paris posted:

I'd be down to write the intro and the outdoor ornamental section. I think "trees" as their own topic would more or less get subsumed into this as well and probably don't need their own section, unless its about planting them correctly, in which case I think I've got a couple big posts somewhere in here about the special considerations around that.

Design is cool to talk about and it'd be interesting if someone is out there who actually does design who wants to post. My impression is that most of the regulars in this thread have a "plant it, let God sort them out" philosophy for outdoor stuff. I know that I'm super in that camp; we have our core foundation shrubs and trees to create a baseline and then everything else is pretty much randomly planted based on light requirements and space with a smattering of annuals randomly seeded around the blank spots

If there isn't somebody else, I'd be willing to write a little bit about some super general outdoor perennial design principles, basically "how to make a half-rear end English garden," since I have put some effort and research into making sure there's year round interest. For instance, this year I realized that my late summer bloom game is pretty weak (my garden looks like poo poo right now lol), so that's a goal for next year that I've started planning towards already

I could probs have something typed up between today and tomorrow depending on how crazy work gets and if the baby doesn't go rogue on me during my increasingly rare free time; I've been attempting to plant like 20 dinky Saxifraga stolonifera divisions for the past three days rofl
That would be awesome. As good gardeners know, there's no rush. I think you are right about including trees there. I'd love to hear your/anyone else's thoughts on design. I work in a design-adjacent field but not landscape design in particular, but would be glad to take the lead on that chunk. It's something I've worried and thought about with my own yard and I think I have learned a lot in that process as far as structure/layout (having an architect and an artist as two of my best friends to ask for second opinions has helped a ton too), but I'm definitely still feeling my way through 'put the blue plant next to the white plant, not the pink one.' I'll try and put together some of my thoughts over the weekend and we can smash everyone's perspectives together into something hopefully useful. Style matters alot here too-the 'rules' for a grandma garden like mine are very different from a formal French garden or a Japanese garden etc.

Wallet posted:

I don't know nothin' about nothin' except a little bit about succulents. I can write a little thing up about them if we don't want to lump that in with general houseplants though I know space is probably at a premium given that list of topics. Let me know.

Here's a slightly adapted text message that I sent one of my siblings who was asking about places to get plants that I can vouch for. Maybe helpful?

Here's some books I posted in the TGO thread that are good for IDing poo poo:
Botany in a Day - good starting point for IDing plants
Plant Identification Terminology - figure out what to call things so you can google them.
I think a separate succulent thing would be good. From my limited understanding of them, the cultural/care requirements are completely different from most houseplants.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I did garden design in school and once upon a time a design of mine was selected as a runner-up for a historical site in Ottawa. :shrug: I'm a gentleman of few words, though, so I don't see myself writing tons. Besides, most goons are located in warmer climates where there are different factors to consider than what I'm used to here.
:justpost:
I think plant choice is an aspect of design that does depend on climate, but stuff like 'have a focal point at the end' or 'put colorful flowers in front of a dark evergreen hedge' or w/e is pretty universal. Any and all contributions are appreciated!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Maybe give it a very vigorous shaking to try and get the rest of the berries to drop so you can clean them up? If that is indeed a ligustrum, it's definitely normally a shrub so there's a case to be made for you 'cutting it back' to basically the ground and letting it grow in fuller. Or least tell the HOA that if they get mad at you for cutting it down.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the fart question posted:

Hey I’ve got a purple oxalis in an indoor pot that’s done great over the summer, but it’s got a bit big and bushy. Can I just cut that sucker back or will that kill it?

BTW the leaves are pretty delicious.

Judging by the oxalis in my lawn, you can cut it back every week and it will never die

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I haven't forgotten about rebooting this thread-life just happened and I haven't gotten around to it, but hopefully that will happen soon (this week?). Oil of Paris has written a great new OP-get your effortposts ready and we will link them in a table of contents kind of thing!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

In case y’all didn’t know I have a bit of a Euphorbia/Croton/Euphorbicae collecting thing going—and, naturally, the season has me noticing all these neat poinsettia varietals

On a scale of 1-10 how stupid/ill-advised am I to try to rescue a bunch of poinsettias from post-holiday liquidation? How stupid am I to try to get them to thrive and reflower? (As I understand it you keep them like a standard croton until the fall and then you have to carefully control their light environment or you don’t get the color change and flowering).

Seems like it’s more of a “poinsettias are cheap, disposable, closely associated with the holidays, and getting them to look good after a year is exponentially more trouble than that’s worth/probably requires at least a grow tent or lit closet” issue and less of an outright “poinsettias are impossible and will die on you” issue.

I feel like a big issue for me is size— croton experience (and plant experience in general) tells me that a much bigger plant is going to be a lot hardier and stand a much better chance of looking great next year, but a few 6” or 4” poinsettias at $2 a pop is a much easier pill to swallow than having a bunch of clearance 8” or 10” poinsettias kicking around all year. Will I come to hate them in the summer?

I feel like one of those people who tries to adopt unwanted goldfish and I’m gonna end up with some hideous plant carp.

Like nobody’s gonna think “oh cool tropical plant” they’re gonna be like “why do you have these Christmas plants? Why did you invest so much in them? What is wrong with you?” Right?

People grow them in their yard here, but they seem to change colors after christmas? It's a definite old lady plant. My great grandmother had some 6' tall.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

It also goes without saying that I know plenty great plant pics have been posted in here by much more powerful posters than myself, so just please don’t make me search for them

Edit: I know my man wallet has got some pics to contribute +callout+
Punch of links/quotes:
Old fashioned roses: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=94772#post494194917
Camellia post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=94772&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post502556698

Some zinnias:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Since there was some zinnia chat, here's some zinnias:

The plumbago and roses behind them have gotten way out of control. There's some cool double ones in there, but I can't remember what I actually planted.

Volunteers that came up in the backyard in some compost or mulch or something:

My bottlebrush buckeye is really blooming right now too. It's got some little volunteers coming up under it so all my friends are about to get little buckeyes of their own.
Some gingers:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've never grown edible ginger, but I grow a bunch of ornamental gingers here in 8b/9a. Very easy to propogate from tubers, or sometimes they start growing baby plants on spent flowers (there is a name for this but I can't remember it). They like some shade, but otherwise are pretty bulletproof. They go bananas in August/September when everything else is too hot and tired to grow and then die back with a frost but come back every year. There a guy out in the country (where it is colder) I know who grows turmeric and ginger for a local health food store.
Gingerz:

Some other goon's amazing flowers/photos:

amethystbliss posted:

Yay! I'm so happy to have found this thread. I started my first ever gardening project in the fall - a tiny 4x4 raised bed cutting garden. I just kind of dumped a bunch of flower bulbs under some soil and hoped for the best. Now I have the prettiest garden blooming with anemones and ranunculus and I'm hooked.

I have a very dumb newbie question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I live in the Bay Area (zone 10a) where the soil never freezes and the weather is pretty consistent all year round. Do I need to plant on a spring/fall schedule to plant new bulbs? Do seasons even matter somewhere with consistent climate, or can I just plant them whenever and watch everything bloom ~3 months later?

An incredible tree:

Platystemon posted:

This magnificent specimen of Quercus lobata in Mendocino County is the largest oak on the continent.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MY CAMELLIAS have been blooming for a week or three and I am reminded once again that camellias are definitively and objectively The Best Ornamental Plant.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm turning this into a commemorative sixer thread to memorialize this momentous occasion(:rip: plant thread, 2013-2020). Post a picture of a plant/flower and it's scientific name if you know it (or idk, maybe you just to become compost?) and I will add a pretty plant to your rap sheet. I'll do these tonight (or whenever you tell me) so as not to interfere with your regularly scheduled posting.

Camellia japonica 'Purple Dawn'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wallet posted:

Is it too late?

Here's a sweet Obergonia denegrii

Nope! Closing it tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oops! I forgot to close this and do commemorative 6ers last night, but will do them tonight. This thread is off to the goodmine, the new thread is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612