Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I bought End All Wars, since Matrix is having an Easter sale. So far, pretty great. Enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Does anybody else like To End all Wars?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

Revolution under Siege, yay or nay?

I'm loving the Russian Civil War map from Strategic Command: WW1 that I'm playing with Alikchi and I want more to scratch that itch. I didn't love their Civil War game, but this looks more interesting. Also is it a 3 player game?

I have not played RUS either, but all AGEOD games have PBEM support for all the sides in a scenario. I know RUS has three-sided maps so you'll be able to do that with three people if you want, but the AGEOD method of doing multiplayer is kind of a hassle. It's kind of a big mess as I'm sure you know, and it gets more annoying the more people you add to the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I'm very interested by the period, how does it compare to other AGEOD games in terms of the mechanics and such? My favourite one was BoA, while I found that the first Civil War one (haven't played the second) was way too finicky with the corps arrangements and such. How are the turn processing times/can you alt-tab out during them?

I can't compare the troop stuff to BoA or Civil War, because sadly I haven't played either of them. It's clearly based on the PoN engine, like most of their recent games, which makes certain things a little silly because of how they had to hack them into the engine (diplomacy is done via a section of the map that's just every country's flag sitting there, because that's the only way they could think of to let you play diplomatic decisions on entire nations). The turn times can be four-five minutes long but you can set it to run in the background and disable pauses for combat, and then you're free to just alt-tab out during them with no problems. Railroads and entrenchment are unsurprisingly a big deal, as is building allegiances. Most of the map is actually neutral at the start, and inaccessible to all players -- it only opens up if they ally with somebody, or you declare war directly (which makes everyone else upset).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Everyone shuld play AGEOD games because they're the best.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i lost the war early, but i can solidly recommend end all wars if you are into ageod -- they finally found a good scale to let them keep some of the stuff they wanted to do in PoN (blockading trade networks, for example) while still being fundamentally a war game. it owns and is good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312430

looks neat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the problem with sovereignty is that it's so generic. nothing stands out, the heros are uninteresting, the diplo is shoddy, etc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Is there any good Cold War politics stuff? Particularly the 50s or 60s. That's what I study and nobody does it justice.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Drone posted:

Oh, there's also Shadow President, but it's at the very tail end of the Cold War.

Shadow President is cool, as is the sequel. It just seems like an untapped potential...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Obstacle2 posted:

I'm all over this. Thanks for mentioning it. I've been wanting to grab Rise of Prussia since I felt like I got the hang of AGEOD games a few weeks ago. (after having one for like a two years)

Rise of Prussia is pretty solid as wargames go. It is also one of their simpler systems so it's definitely playable and a good gateway to AGEOD in general.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Goetta posted:

I'm going to give this a shot soon. I got Civil War II a while ago and have really struggled with it so maybe this will help.

I can sympathize. My first AGEOD product was Pride of Nations, and I still have no idea how to play it. RoP is a lot more manageable, and I moved on from there to AJE and TEAW.

PoN remains incomprehensible.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Would anyone like to play a game of Rise of Prussia? I have no idea what I'm doing beyond the basics of 'move about then get everyone killed because the snow fell unexpectedly'.

I seem to remember AGEOD having really awkward to use multiplayer, right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

way to go, dude

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I wonder if PBEM Pride of Nations would be possible without someone going insane

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

My favorite thing about Pride of Nations was this insane rant a guy posted on the Paradox forums, explaining that the whole reason the game was bad is there were too many nitrates in Japan

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Obstacle2 posted:

While I can play and be moderately successful in AGEOD games I really struggle or at least feel like I am clueless in certain portions.

Formation of armies, corps, whatever the flavor seems like a total crap-shoot. I have no idea the ratio of infantry, cavalry, cannons or whatever other options are available.
I also think I am missing out on some way to actually create some semblance of a solid line. The AI just moves an army in between my stacks with apparent impunity. Do forces in the AGEOD engine move around automatically to run to neighboring provinces if there's a fight?

They will absolutely run away, unless you tell them not to. You want to set your defensive line troops to hold the line in their behavior settings, or they'll break and move out of the way to avoid casualties. There's a similar setting for attacking troops, which makes them unable to retreat. It's one of those colored buttons to the left of the unit window.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You can't mention such things without linking them!

This was, like, five years ago. I remember it because it's kind of become an in-joke among friends, but I don't have any idea how to find the posts again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

rchandra posted:

How's Hearts of Iron III? It's on for -75% (2.75 CAD) so I probably can't go wrong trying it.

If you want to play a Hearts of Iron just get Darkest Hour. That's generally considered the best.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Drone posted:

Anyone been able to get a Steam code yet for previous Matrix store purchases on it? :ohdear:

Edit:

Phew. Guess it'll take a day or so before they tell us how.

It works for everything you bought directly from them. Matrix games you own on gamersgate or Amazon don't count.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

to end all wars was funny because the only way they could implement diplomacy was creating an extra in-game "continent" with flags on it for you to play your diplomats onto

ilu ageod

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chrisoya posted:

That sounds pretty cool. It could be a map of a diplomatic conference, and you'd launch an offensive to capture strategic canapé reserves to fuel a major ceasefire push before the Ferrero Rochekrieg breaks through your last defensive line.

that sounds much cleverer than it actually was, but it really worked just fine for what it was. it's just such a shockingly lazy kludge to put into your game...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's hella tempting for me because CMANO always looked interesting but I don't want to risk spending sixty bucks and then not enjoying it. So I will probably pick this up!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

seamless

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's Diplomacy... It's not even and island. Diplomacy Wasteland?

e: Oh, sorry, The Mechanics Triangle. Sadly there are no road connections so I don't know how any research gets did.

It also seems to be in Russia, which probably should make it impossible for the Kaiser to send anyone at all

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

To End All Wars is still good, i dont care what you say, but goddamn they need to modernize their engine

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Civil War 2 is also on sale if you are into AGEOD :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

and to end all wars, though that's only discounted an inane 38%

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Imaginary Baron posted:

Is this worth buying if you already own the first game?

Not really. AJE is pretty great, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

is distant worlds good?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hav posted:

Possibly changing in a couple of weeks because of some Christian religious thing about a baby.

You get a steam key if you register your matrix serial with the devs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

Do I still get a steam key?

I'm a little worried with these download speeds of the Matrix site:
- 56K Modem: 23hr 20min- 56K Modem: 41hr 40min (Because they also sell the non-Universe version)

:ohdear:

You can get a steam key, just register your matrix games serial here http://www.slitherine.com/login?return_url=/my_page/steam_serials and it'll give you a key for steam

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

I like how they have a link to the Steam page right there on the Matrix Store but I have to buy it from their store *and* register on Slitherines site to get a steam key :wtc:

It used to be you would buy it, get a 2 week download link and a serial, and that was it. So they're learning I guess

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

how is supreme ruler ultimate?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

what's good in the steam sale then, i've got all the paradox games but i want something different

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

is Civil War 2 any good? I've got TO END ALL WARS already

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AGEOD sent me a key for alea jacta est for some reason. maybe someone here would like it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

I'll take it, fellow corn person

sent

e: feel free to friend me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/crowfeathers/

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004