Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
So who wants to avatar-toxx themselves on whether this is fake or not :unsmigghh:

edit: actually that's a terrible idea, let's just say if you're convinced it's fake, you can toxx over it

het fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Drake Bate posted:

It really is a step up from circa 2003 Rick Rolling, though, I'll give it that..
In 2003, Youtube wouldn't exist for another 3 years.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Anyone have a mirror for this?
It was a stupid joke track.

Let's cut out the hilarious unlabeled fake leaks, have some indication that it's not real at least.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Doctor Claw posted:

I think it's really funny that someone called the comedy of everybody hating on yesterday's leak saying it was "so bad it couldn't be Daft Punk." Now they either have to hate the album they've been hyped on for months, or they have to eat their words. "That outro synth is so generic - they'd definitely use analog if it was them." "No way the guy in the verses is Pharrell - he has a different accent." All of these people get a Gold Award in music production knowledge. The end of the discussion should have been the fact that Pharrell's vocals were solo'd over the handclaps - there is no possible way to do that without access to the track.
I just feel bad for all these professional DJs getting duped by Obviously Fake Pharrell! How humiliating!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

hemophilia posted:

I've honestly never seen this cultish desire to create and publish fake songs like I have with Daft Punk.

It happens with Metallica sometimes, but honestly fake Metallica is not even a fraction as common as fake Daft Punk. Is it wanna-be DJs trying to get their name out there, or are people so delusional and impatient for new material that they spend their time making music they think sounds like Daft Punk?

I can't find a good reason for this annoying loving phenomenon.
Eh, artists with particularly fervent fanbases (particularly artists whose sound can be roughly copied without too much trouble) run into it. Aphex Twin's run across it, and there was a pretty broadly distributed fake leak of Boards of Canada's The Campfire Headphase back when that came out (I know someone who bought into it so much that when it was revealed as a fake, he maintained that the fake leak was better than the actual album)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

excellentcoffee posted:

It just...doesn't get old. It's like the first time I listened to Justice's Cross and Discovery for the first time.
IT'S BEEN AN HOUR.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Does foobar2000 have an "infinite repeat" option?
EVERYTHING HAS AN INFINITE REPEAT OPTION

For crying out loud people, is this track killing braincells? Are Daft Punk comic book supervillains?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

slogsdon posted:

It's like this for every track in existence.
Not exactly, but yeah that's complete bullshit.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Old Man Pants posted:

Well after curiosity got the better of me, I got the version off Beatport too, and the quality is Significantly Better. From what I have been told, it's due to Amazons VBR encoding making things sound a bit muddy. I have listened to both versions in 3 different pairs of 2-$300 of headphones and the beatport version sounds better in every one.

TL;DR: Buy this off Beatport, not Amazon
This is called confirmation bias, btw.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Old Man Pants posted:

Nope. As someone who produces music and has been a DJ for 10+ years, the Amazon version sounds like poo poo.
And that's called appeal to authority :hehe: I definitely don't care where you get your mp3s but I've seen enough of these "Well I listened to A and I listened to B, and I decided A sounds better" claims to know that they're basically meaningless without A/B/X testing.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Adregan posted:

I agree that this new album is going to produce some great remixes, but the MJ version has a feeling that certain parts feel forced like the "woo's" and other trademark MJ sounds.
Well and the fact that it doesn't actually sound like Michael Jackson, it just sounds like a sped up version of the song with some MJ samples

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

incoherent posted:

e: They were kind of dicks. They let kanye west sample stronger, did a track for pharrell, produced two tracks for kayne, but wouldn't let anco or panda bear do samples.
I have a lot of respect for that, personally.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wario In Real Life posted:

Oops well I revise my statement. It was more in response to the "rumor says it'll be up tonight!" kinda stuff. Obviously at some point in time it will be available for streaming preview, but I can't really see them building this much hype to then let everybody listen to it a full week before it's released.
I dunno, I think that's becoming more common as a model nowadays. Little Boots just did it for her album Nocturnes, the same "stream (awkwardly) for free a week before release, and here's a convenient pre-order link" deal (though hers streamed on pitchfork, not iTunes).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Dave posted:

You might be listening to it backwards, Contact is the last track.
Wow, yeah but you gotta hand it to Daft Punk, writing the last track so it's also a perfect intro :aaaaa:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Geirskogul posted:

A lot of :filez: talk here...
Unless people are explicitly linking to illegal sources, I don't really give a poo poo. (Grooveshark is slimy as gently caress but they ostensibly qualify as "legal")

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Walking Dad posted:

Album has Phillip-Glass-Esque sounding material, straight up jazz, aboriginal sounding stuff, fantasia-esque soundscapes, classical strings, funk guitar, a myriad of drumming styles, Georgio Moroder. This album contains pretty much every style of music of the past 100 years in it for god's sake.
Hi, I'm going to hire a dude to follow you around for the next week and constantly give you alternating wedgies and swirlies all day every day.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Rocco posted:

I am loving today because, as expected, all of the people first to scream OMG ALBUM OF A GENERATION and posting every loving fake leak all day every day are going to be the first to crap on the album. It's just an album. No collection of music tracks will ever live up to the level of worship you gave it.
Sorry, who was this that you're referring to? I know a lot of people were posting leaks in this thread (most of which were real I think? though that didn't stop people from talking about "obviously fake" Pharrell vocals? :xd:), and I think most of them are pretty positive about the album.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

pathetic gbs homo posted:

No way. P4K has too much riding on it. They've got a cover story on the album coming out tomorrow and they've been posting video links to every little collaborator video leading up to the release. They'll grade it high, but they won't give it Kanye's perfect 10. They'll know that this album is humdrum and won't be able to admit it.
I doubt that, though 5.6 seems low to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see something in the 6's though. I'd be surprised to see it over their standard 7.8 "this is good" rating though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty much the least musically inclined person ever (the majority of the albums I own consist of what I'm pretty sure are the Australian government-mandated INXS and AC/DC albums), so someone remind me. Is Pitchfork considered decent in any way? I'm not sure how to read this discussion of them.
A lot of people's views of Pitchfork are colored by the ridiculously wanky reviews that made them famous (look up the Radiohead - Kid A or Autechre - Untilted reviews for examples), but generally speaking the ratings are often in line with popular opinion. You can argue as to how much their ratings determine that opinion, but I think nowadays enough people are skeptical that that's less of an issue, though clearly when they give something Best New Music, it has a significance. Stuff like heavy advertising of streaming doesn't necessarily shape their ratings; Little Boots was streaming exclusive on their site and got a 6.something.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NESguerilla posted:

They will still get off on slamming it. I'd bet my shoes (swapping out the word eat with bet just in case I'm wrong) it doesn't score better than a 6.
DADDY NEEDS A NEW PAIR OF SHOES

but seriously, I bought shoes recently, so let's just call this a gentleman's bet.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's really not that hard? Disco had elements that when readapted into a house setting work really well, but I don't find disco on its own even slightly enjoyable? I know I'm not alone in this.
Honestly that is pretty weird to me, yes. Like, we're talking italo as well?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

In other daft punk news

Any time you see something like that, it is almost certainly just copied and pasted from someplace else.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22I+am+currently+21+years+old+and+I+want+to+become+a+walrus%22

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

chime_on posted:

Yeah, god-- when they really start to "rock out" at the end of Giorgio By Moroder it is so bad, the sound of the drums is total garbage and the fills are just "atrocious local nu-metal band."
Yeah, someone in the thread had mentioned that 6 minutes in was where GBM really took off, and I was enjoying it up to that point, but then it was just like "Oh, he meant that's when the rock drumming kicked in". It's not even that I can't see the appeal but it's not really what I was looking for/hoping for.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

BeavisNuke posted:

I think a lot of the backlash I'm hearing is rooted in a distaste for real instruments in music. We are too used wub wub synths sounding 'modern' and now real drums and pianos sound cheesy.
I really really wish people who like the album would stop trying to dismiss criticisms like this. Like maybe just try to own that you like something other people seriously do not think is good rather than coming up with reasons why their opinions are somehow distorted/invalid.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

BeavisNuke posted:

I wish people wanting to engage in a real critical discussion could say more than "boring," "mom-rock," etc.
There's been plenty that's been said, it just gets ignored so you can pretend nobody has reasonable complaints about the album.

quote:

If the whole album was 10 bpm faster and had a few more drum machines I guarantee this thread would read totally differently.
If it were generally more dance-music-oriented, yeah, probably? I mean, "10 bpm faster and had a few more drum machines" is silly and reductive, but yes, I think being more pop/dance oriented (basically if Get Lucky had been an average song on the album rather than the best one) would have produced a better album.

BTW, you realize the vast majority of responses to the album in this thread have been unmitigated praise, right?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's the part where people sit around and make judgment calls about other people's taste in music like this that rubs me the wrong way. Its just a dumb way to talk about music (or anything at all) and leads to arguing. If you don't like disco and don't want to listen to a disco album, just say that, but nobody's said yet why the music they made is for people who like bad music.
Dude I very much like disco and the first thing I did after listening to this was to go listen to some to remind me that I actually liked it :P

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Colonel Whitey posted:

That's really not what it translates to. It translates to "don't be a dickhead when you don't like something others do" and vice versa. I used not liking disco as an example of why someone might not like this album. If I was erroneous in the comparison then fine, but its irrelevant.
If you say "If you don't like disco and don't want to listen to a disco album, just say that" and you have no idea what you are talking about, you're kinda the one being the dickhead.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

pathetic gbs homo posted:

I don't completely agree. A close friend of mine and I have been listening to this album since last night. Of it, he said that he liked it because at times it is a commentary on music as much as it is music, and that the use of real instruments to mimic sounds made by synths is a 'necessary' reversion in sound and ideas, and that this change will carry its influence on from here on forth.

I replied that he was focused on the process and not the content, and to pretend it wasn't Daft Punk and that he didn't know how they recorded it. Would you enjoy it the same? I ask the same of people in this thread that profess their love for it so much.

People are telling themselves they love it because it's Daft Punk, and because of what they tried to achieve with this record, but what's the point in lauding the effort if they didn't make it there? If Trent Reznor put out an album of pop hooks and put Rihanna and Lady Gaga on the vocals, it'd be upsetting to his fan base, but if it was a stellar record, its brillance would shine through.
This is the sort of attempt to shame people for enjoying music that people are complaining about. I don't necessarily care why people enjoy the music they do, or if context plays a significant role in their enjoyment. I'm all for people listening to and enjoying music, I fully support it. I'm a little frustrated when people's interest in a certain genre or style doesn't extend past one or two artists, but there's no harm done by people enjoying music.

Also there's a pretty weird/arrogant implied dynamic in your argument where basically, if an album is good, you would like it ("its brilliance would shine through"). So if you don't like an album, apparently your conclusion is that people like it for Wrong Reasons?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
The sanctioned pre-release streaming (specifically with a convenient way to pre-order) is definitely a smart move, but viewing this as "hating hipsters" is like the dumbest possible takeaway you could get from that story.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thathonkey posted:

It does seem like a smart idea/the best strategy available but I think in this case it has probably driven a lot of would-be purchasers to cancel pre-orders/plans of buying. It did that for me at least.
Eh I'd be skeptical of exactly how many pre-orders were actually lost, but sure. I mean, I'm saying it's a smart idea if you have an actual product that people would like to buy but might be inclined to pirate if it's more convenient. Making music people enjoy is definitely part of the winning strategy here.

Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if they got some impulse buys from people who might end up underwhelmed at the end of the day. A couple months ago there was a new Autechre album and for whatever reason the first place I heard about it was iTunes, and I was like "Well poo poo, it's been too long since I bought an album, and Autechre deserves money" and then like 10 minutes later was like "wait, I forgot I don't enjoy Autechre that much".

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Alfajor posted:

I should have obviously done the actual macro (http://memegenerator.net/What-If-Meme) v :) v
No. Also hipsters don't exist.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

KingAsmo posted:

Sorry Dad, I go to large warehouse parties in Los Angeles pretty much every weekend, and they aren't playing Hey Ya.
Hahaha I saw this before editing, you seriously went out of your way to go back and add "Sorry Dad"?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Let's stop arguing about Hey Ya/Outkast.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hobelhouse posted:

Even great albums have duds on them.
You said it was distinctly underwhelming until the 6th track out of 13.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

AwwJeah posted:

I think there's more eyes watching Daft Punk than ever before. I don't think it's a stretch to predict that RAM will easily shoot to #1 in the US next week. Whereas their other albums haven't even broken the top 40.
To give some perspective:
  • When Discovery debuted, the #1 record was Dave Matthews Band's Everyday, which sold 750k in its first week
  • This week, the #1 record is Lady Antebellum's These Colors Don't Run, which sold 167k in its first week
Nail Rat is right, hitting #1 on the billboard charts doesn't mean what it used to.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Saying they're not irrelevant is not the same as saying they're the most important thing in modern music.
Tell that to this guy:

AwwJeah posted:

I'm sure you meant to say "Daft Punk have become bad." Since they are quite obviously as far away from irrelevancy as any band could possibly be. In fact, I can't think of a band who is currently more relevant to the industry at large than Daft Punk.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hahaha holy poo poo, no way. They actually named their album that? :bravo:
No I was making a joke, sorry :) It's actually called Golden. But gently caress 'em.

AwwJeah posted:

But I agreed with Nail Rat?

:shrug:

I really just fail to see how the word "irrelevant" is a suitable description for Daft Punk in any regard but drat this is becoming some circular rear end poo poo.
It's because they mined their influences and didn't do all that great a job of it. Also the record you cited is specific to the UK, and I'm just not sure why first week sales would directly mean anything about relevance (or, really, what you even think that word means).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thathonkey posted:

Thats cool, you like what you like. Im more being critical of the people who cant just admit "yeah, the album is flawed or whatever you want to call it but i still like some of the songs" and instead insist on writing all these convoluted justifications for why it is "great" (which it clearly isnt) or how others are merely missing the point etc etc
There's nothing wrong with people really really liking an album you don't like dude, nobody has to "admit" anything. Like I get bothered when it turns into "Oh, well, if you liked disco..." and such, but if someone just loves the hell out of the whole album, great, I'm happy they're enjoying music. I don't think they need to be berated or browbeaten simply for that fact.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's hard to express how delighted I am that Pitchfork now has to give a mediocre rating to this mediocre album that they hyped the poo poo out of, at the risk of looking like the self-absorbed hipsters they are. I've watched them dismiss far better albums than this over the last few weeks, that weren't backed by major labels with a poo poo-ton of advertising cash, with a ~6.0 and a typical sneer, but now they're in a bit of a spot, aren't they?
Giving lots of coverage to a highly-anticipated album is sort of what a music news site does. And their job is ostensibly to rate music fairly, so if it's underwhelming and they rate it that way, what's the big deal? I said previously I think they'll give it something in the 6's, but I mean I don't think it's some terrible crime if they don't. A lot of people like this album, it's hardly out of the realm of possibility for them to sincerely like it too. I honestly have no idea what you're even saying here other than you have a kinda weird relationship with Pitchfork.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

dj bobby bieber posted:

Pure speculation without a lot of evidence here but I for some reason I won't be surprised if they give it BNM, just based on the reception for Get Lucky and Doin' It Right - it will definitely be interesting to see on Monday or whenever. Of course, the writer makes a huge difference as well and I have no idea who will cover it.
They already gave Doin' It Right BNM a couple days ago. I'm not sure you can read anything into that, obviously that generally reflects a positive opinion, but that track is also the one that is best fits in the Pitchfork wheelhouse, so who knows if it means "we love this album" or "if only the rest of the album had been like this track".

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cynic Jester posted:

I wonder how many more people would like Touch if it started at 1:50.
Actually that's the point at which I want to skip it.

edit: the intro is out of place on the album too, but it's not unpleasant, whereas as soon as the vocals kick in I'm just like "okay, next track."

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
plogo linked it on soundcloud 2 days ago but nobody paid any attention :/

plogo posted:

Collaborator Todd Edwards made last weeks essential mix. https://soundcloud.com/everybodywantstobethedj/todd-edwards-essential-mix It's pretty great, features his edits of a bunch of the other collaborators works and daft punk as well as some of his classic productions and a few other contemporary tracks from other artists.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Yay! :neckbeard:

I guess people are digging it, then, despite all the haters in this thread.

Or they're buying it, at least...
I think it's being received pretty well but it was being projected to debut at #1 solely on preorders before the stream was available, as I recall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I definitely get weary and pained when listening to that track, so mission accomplished I guess.

• Locked thread