Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ooh, DVC chat, here's something I can expound upon in great detail:

My family has been members of DVC for 5-6 years now, and we loving love it. My mom who loves Disney World more than anyone else in the family, which is saying something, also runs the finances of the family, and since we've never really been big on spending a lot of money on things, eventually bought into DVC after yearly trips starting in 2000, and finally bought in in 2007 or 2008 (can't remember which), and just this year bought more points, which goes to show how much she loves it. There are so many advantages to it it's crazy. I'm not privy to all of the discounts and little bonus things, but I know that the hotel rooms are fantastic, particularly if you're travelling with your family. The last few times I've gone down with them, we'd have a two-bedroom suite, where my sister gets a room, my parents get a room, and I get the couch (which I prefer anyways), so we each have our own rooms to sleep in. It's also got some awesome hotels in the mix, and even the worst one that we've stayed in (Saratoga Springs) is still miles better than even the Polynesian, and has a boat directly to Downtown Disney. At this point we go down every year during the Food and Wine Festival (which is literally the best time to go, between the lack of crowds at the non-Epcot parks, and the delicious food and Party for the Senses at Epcot), and we're bringing aunts and uncles to join us this year (we get to stay in a Grand Villa, which is as awesome and royal as it sounds).

Basically, it is a timeshare, but instead of dealing with sleazy salesman, you deal with Disney directly, which makes customer service a heck of a lot easier. At this point, with as many times as I've been down, it really does feel like home away from home, going down is just so relaxing when you don't have to worry about doing everything all the time.

I'll expand more upon my love of Disney World later, but after New York City, it's pretty much my favorite place in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

Congratulations about being correct concerning the best time to go. You just can't beat the Food and Wine Festival. I love the lack of crowds at that time of year, the more bearable temperatures, nibbling at 2-4 dollar treats from various countries in the World Showcase, and of course the Party for the Senses. I'm a bit of a foodie so it's almost criminal how much fun I have at that thing. The first time I went I actually got SPOOKED by how much fun I was having. I kept asking my mother if I had drank too much because I was on cloud 9 and couldn't stop eating everything. I hadn't, of course, it would actually be difficult to get unacceptably drunk at that event unless you're a hella lightweight or went drinking around the world beforehand due to the small serving sizes and lines.

I also like pissing off the wine people at that event. Just go up to a wine table and say "I'm not really a wine person so I have no idea what the choices you just gave me represent. Just pour me something that will go with this salmon." and watch the massively indignant expressions.

Man, I loved it there, though I don't know if it's something my parents will ever do again. We got a table right next to a booth that had boutique moonshine that they were making margaritas out of, I must have had six or seven, all while Cirque du Soleil was going on all around and delicious food was in my mouth constantly.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You guys are forgetting the best part of DisneyQuest: The attraction stuff. The Mighty Ducks pinball game is lovely, broken and woefully out of date, but the Astroblasters are awesome, some of the stuff downstairs like the Pirates game, Aladdin magic carpets and Jungle Cruise are all really fun too. And the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter lives on in a game upstairs as well (I think? It might be closed now). The sad thing is that Disney has basically given up on updating DisneyQuest in any major way. For a long while, most Downtown Disney rumors that were set on renovating the area (mostly Pleasure Island) had DQ being turned into an ESPN Club or something similar to that. I imagine that place has been close to death many times, and that Disney is just waiting until something better comes along. Of course, now in the other half of the building where the Virgin Megastore used to be, there's one of those trendy bowling alley/bar/club type things (Splitsville), which is actually a pretty nice fit for the area, so maybe DQ will get some love soon enough.

Actually, Downtown Disney as a whole is really interesting, because for the longest time, Disney had no loving clue what to do with it. Pleasure Island's woes could probably fill a book or two, and the West End is slowly getting older and older without any major changes (aside from Splitsville and the movie theater partially turning into one of those dining theaters ala Alamo Drafthouse). Originally, back about three years ago, Disney announced plans to turn Pleasure Island into something called Hyperion Wharf, which would have made it a little more family friendly for the daytime hours, and had a bunch of new tech to show off, with live music and new restaurants and shops and actually sounded very cool, and that was all supposed to have been done by beginning of this year, but they delayed/scrapped that pretty quick.

Now they've announced something called Disney Springs, which goes beyond Pleasure Island into a full on retheming/reworking of the whole area. They're gonna build more out into the lake, which means more walking space (and less crowded pathways!), they're building covered parking garages (which is a rarity on Disney property, but incredibly welcome), and so far, it looks pretty gorgeous (based on concept art, of course, so this could change):

Also, and this is completely unrelated but still awesome anyways because I'm a big dumb nerd, but Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom. That just makes me so happy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roar posted:

The cheese soup is literally one of the best foods I've ever eaten. It's the highlight of the Food and Wine festival for me since I've never gotten around to actually eating at the physical restaurant.

That's my sister's absolute favorite thing to eat during the F&W Festival. I personally prefer the Pirogies from Poland, or the Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta, but most of the food varies between "really good" and "fan-drat-tastic".

Also, nth-ing the Le Cellier love. I had a friend ask for a restaurant reservation for Epcot, and that was my answer, no other words needed. The filet is fantastic, all of the bread is nice, and the maple creme brulee is the perfect topper.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Which explains why my family is leaving in two and a half weeks. Well, that and the beginning of the best time of the year: Food and Wine!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The only of the three of those I've stayed at is the Animal Kingdom Lodge(I'm staying there now!) and while it's a fantastic hotel, the location is godawful. It's so far out of the way, and busses are the only non-car transportation to literally everywhere else.

If you aren't set on those three, my suggestion would be to look at the three Epcot resorts: Beach Club, Yacht Club and Boardwalk. You have a quick boat to both Epcot and the Studios, they all have amazing swimming pools, and the Boardwalk is fun to eat at and just kinda dick around on. Monorail resorts are nice, especially if you have younger kids, because the Magic Kingdom is the big draw, but you can get to it by the Epcot monorail or bus, and having access to those two parks is super, super nice (because they are the best parks).

On another note, I'm on vacation right now (in the middle of a break as my sister gets her face painted), and boy is Disney as fun as ever. I'll post a full trip report later (hopefully with pictures of the Grand Villa I'm staying at in the AKL), but god I love this place.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

demonR6 posted:

Don't forget to go to Epcot for Food & Wine! We were there yesterday.. I am just now getting over the hangover.

Haha, why do you think we picked this weekend? My family has done Food and Wine every year for a while now, and this year we brought a couple of aunts and uncles along for the ride (hence the grand villa). We actually got to see a culinary demonstration from Carla Hall (of Top Chef fame), which was awesome, and some of my friends are gonna be getting bottles of wine when I get back.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Of the monorail resorts, I much prefer the Poly, but I love that kind of faux-tiki atmosphere, and drinking a pineapple full of rum and punch is my idea of a pretty good time.

Ate at the Kona Cafe the other night, drank one of these, feels good man.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I have a dinner reservation there in December. Gonna eat meat slathered in teriyaki and pineapple chunks and drink my weight in rum punch, then hit the Magic Kingdom. Nothing in this plan can go horribly wrong at all.

Actually it can, because nowhere in this plan does it say "eat all of the pretty sushi". Any plan without that step is no plan I'd like to follow. (Also banana/chocolate creme brûlée and awesome sticky wings and goddammit I'm hungry again oh well time for brunch at Boma followed by eating and drinking my weight in Epcot food)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, apparently Disney is testing out Fastpass Plus only days for big rides, and this week, it's for Toy Story Midway Mania. I'm lucky I already have one for Wednesday before I leave, but I foresee some angry people in the Studios over the next few days.

Oh yeah, I'm at Disney World, it's awesome, etc etc etc. I'll have a trip report up later.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For what it's worth, I think they're gonna try to bump up to number of Fastpasses they have available, but still, this is something you announce ahead of time, not right as its happening.

Also, I went on Mission Space for the first time in a few years today, and gently caress if that one doesn't take it out of me more than any other ride on the property. It's so cool though, and it's a shame that they have to take every opportunity to scare people away because of how intense it is.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Roar posted:

Ride the green version? It's exactly the same except there's no spinning.

That would be giving up. The only rides on Disney property that I've given up on riding are Primeval Whirl (spinning), Mad Tea Party (teacup rides were designed by Satan himself, no offense BBS), and Small World (Satan designed that song too).

edit: Back in room now, here are some things I've thought while being here:

This is my first time visiting with Magicbands in full force, and I actually really like them. Aside from having to go reconnect them to my room when they didn't work the first time, and a ticketing snafu that was partially my fault for having both an annual pass and the remains of a 10-day non-expiring pass on my account, they've worked without a hitch. All of the fastpasses, the few times I've had to use room charging, getting into the park, it all worked pretty well, and for someone like me who is paranoid about losing my ticket, the band is a nice reminder, and a lot harder to lose.

Food and Wine, as usual, is awesome. Highlights are the sweet corn cheesecake at Mexico and everything at Belgium, especially that coffee drink that I could probably down a pitcher of, no problem. Went to a Party for the Senses, and as has been said, it's a billion percent worth the money. All the food you can eat, booze you can drink, bomb-rear end Cirque du Soleil poo poo on a stage in front of you, it's easily one of the coolest things I've ever done in WDW.

Animal Kingdom is under so much construction. The Avatar stuff is obvious, but there are fences up all around the Tree of Life, as well as all around the lake by Everest/Asia. You can't actually see a whole lot, but I'm curious if it's all preparing for Avatar, or if it's just other little things.

Boardwalk and Beach Club remain the two best places to stay for Food and Wine. The big three over at Studios are still awesome, and even seemingly half the park closing, Studios is still my pick for most fun park. I'm hoping the upcoming Star Wars/Pixar/Cars renovations are Harry Potter-level experiences, and on a more personal note, I'd love to see a Great Movie Ride punch-up. Magic Kingdom is cool, especially at night when the crowds dwindle. Apparently low crowds and late nights let the people running the voices at Laugh Floor get a little weird, the past-midnight performance I saw on Saturday had the funniest Laugh Floor bit I've ever seen, which was partially due to a slightly cranky old lady who was willingly going along with everything except making weird noises, the genuinely weirdest-looking man I've ever seen being "that guy", and Buddy Boyle having some surprisingly good (for Disney) comic timing.

Can't wait for my Mine Train fastpass tomorrow.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 6, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How well would just not having Fastpasses for the first hour a park is open work? They didn't exist before, and that way people at the gate at open can still bumrush Mine Train/Toy Story and not slow the line for that time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tomapot posted:

So I got booked in the Polynesian for my next business trip in a couple weeks. How torn up is it these days?

Not that I spend a lot of time at the resort on my trips but I was hoping for one of the Epcot hotels for convenience.

There's a lot of extra walls all around, but the important stuff (bars, rooms, food areas) seem to be fine. I ate at the Kona Cafe tonight, still as good as ever.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I rode with a bunch of teenagers on Test Track today, who, at the part where poo poo goes real fast, took out a phone and took a selfie video. And on my way out of the park, I saw a girl at a meet and greet take a selfie with Alice.

Cell phones make Disney way cooler, y'all.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Atricks posted:

It pretty much is a done deal for Orlando. It was the Universal office in Orlando that did the initial press release. (Note I live literally a half mile from Universal) It's going to replace the KidZone area in the studios park and the adjacent unbuilt area to that. ET will be the only thing left, the rest of it is going to be completely redone to the level of Harry Potter. It could wind up being a bigger deal for the park than Harry Potter.

This is disappointing only because I could easily make an entire Nintendo theme park in my head. Maybe I'll shoot them some proposals while I'm here. A Mario-themed Spidey-style ride that goes from 8-bit to Galaxy, Pikmin-themed kids area, Animal Crossing restaurant/shopping zone, and of course a Star Fox coaster complete with barrel rolls. Add in some Mario Kart Astroblasters, Harry Potter-esque metroid thing, and the third E-ticket attraction, a Legend of Zelda dark ride made by whatever genius made Revenge of the Mummy.

They're really under shooting this whole thing, they could make an Islands of Adventure-sized thing solely themed off of Nintendo games. Then again, if they didn't give Potter a full world (though if the whole Ministry of Magic expansion is for real, it sounds like it's basically there), why would they give Nintendo one? (Aside from it being better than Harry Potter?)

Oh yeah, I'm back in Orlando again. We (my family plus my sister's boyfriend, so five total) are at Universal for the first two days, and we leave to check in to Bay Lake tomorrow night. My first time at Universal since they redid the Spider-Man animation, and that ride looks good. As cool as all the HP stuff is, especially where theming is concerned, Spider-Man is the best attraction in the world. Maybe it's because I've probably been on it 100 times since I was ten, but it's perfect, and the inevitable transfer of Marvel's theme park rights to Disney will crush me if it means that's the end. (Also, Forbidden Journey murders my stomach in a way that no other ride does. I had to cool off for a few minutes after getting off today, and I probably would have thrown up if it had been even 30 seconds longer) I still have yet to hit Transformers or the Diagon Alley half of the HP experience, but that will come soon enough. Transformers is gonna be super dope.

I'm also excited to be staying on the Monorail for the first time since our last non-DVC trip. We've stayed at the Epcot resorts so much since then that having easy access to the Kingdom will be a welcome change. It helps that Trader Sam's will be close too, because I'm in the mood for rum.

Edit: Ooh, and the Kong stuff that they're building by Jurassic Park is looking super good. I feel like it's crowding Toon Lagoon even more, and I kinda wish they'd just give up on that area, considering how outdated it is compared to the other lands, which are either timeless (Seuss, though the area is really looking worse for wear, lots of boarded up stands and the rides starting to falter) or still extremely popular (Marvel, JP and Potter). If this Kong thing goes well I'd love to see them do a whole "Monster Island" thing, with Godzilla, Kong, maybe something Pacific Rim related. Godzilla water ride would be a slam dunk.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 10, 2015

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

They also removed the trading boxes they had in merchandise locations. It's still a thing, but Disney isn't pushing it like pins anymore.

As long as Disney is a thing, there will be some collectable thing that people want all of. Pins, Vinyl figures, Magic Bands, when one starts to falter, another will take its place. That's called "Eisner's Rule of Merchandising". I thought those little stackable plush animals would be the big thing here right now, but they haven't really caught on yet I guess.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trader Sam's is dope. I went with my dad right at opening, sat at the big surfboard table in the middle and had awesome drinks with some very nice people, and brought home some bomb-rear end mugs and a cool little plastic pearl. This is something I could easily fit in for every trip.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skeezy posted:

I'm on the bus now headed up to Orlando. So stoked.

Oh btw, I found out that apparently the Contemporary Resort has a working F-Zero AX machine? Is this true? Is it still there? Because my friend is begging me to take a picture of it or something.

I did not see said machine, but I didn't actually walk into the arcade, I just walked by it a couple times. I distinctly remember playing that game at one of the All-Star resorts when I was way younger, so at one point one existed somewhere. (EDIT: a cursory Google tells me that someone posted about this very machine on Reddit about 2 months ago, so I imagine it's still around. Go play it, and then go to the California Grill and get food because holy poo poo that was the best meal I ever had, and you get a bombass view of the fireworks.)

They have Mario Kart in DisneyQuest, though!

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 16, 2015

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that really struck my family while we were in Florida this past week is just how phenomenal the theming of Diagon Alley is. It's easily on par with the top stuff that Disney has, they've created a whole separate little world inside of the Studios, and everything is on point when it comes to how it fits together. I don't think the Nintendo stuff will have the same cohesion (unless they hire me as a designer for a Nintendo Theme Park I will do it for minimum wage seriously please), but Kong might, so if Avatar and the inevitable Star Wars world/Pixar expansion don't knock people's socks off like Diagon Alley, there might be a power shift. I mean, at large, Disney will still have the money and priority, but it will be far less than it has been in the past.

edit: I'm aware that Dr. Seuss had some bomb-rear end theming, but as much as I like Islands of Adventure, the theming there is very schizophrenic (by nature). Seuss is top notch but being ignored, and it shows, Toon Lagoon is outdated, Super Hero Island is hilariously outdated, even as super hero poo poo is the most popular thing right now, because it looks like a city ripped from those 90's Marvel cartoons on Fox. Jurassic Park is simple but effective, Lost Continent was cool, but is now "Not Harry Potter", and Hogsmeade just got shown up by Diagon Alley. I'm curious to see how Kong will shape the future of the Islands, because if it's successful, I could see it expanding further into Toon Lagoon, and you know some sort of deal is coming w/r/t the Marvel superheroes. Probably not a deal to shut everything down, but one that will shape where they can go in the future.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 18, 2015

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BlueBayou posted:

Can I do both universal parks in a day or do I need two?

Bearing in mind I mostly want to hit the harry potter stuff and I'll be going in the off season. Probz also spiderman, transformers and JP.

I've got 3 days to do parks. Well 3.5. Doing Epcot the day I land after the divequest. The I was going to do 2 Disney and 1 uni. But now idk. I was at Disneyland and DCA in January so I feel like I could skip a lot of stuff at MK.

Or just say F it and stay an extra day

If you pick up the Universal Express thing as anti-line insurance, you'd probably be able to knock both out in a day if you're there from open to close. When I was there last week it was really light on crowds and I was able to walk on pretty much everything except the Harry Potter stuff, and if you save those for the very first thing and very last thing you do, you can pretty easily get everything else done in the middle.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

demonR6 posted:

Guess whose going to be at the park buying that pin? One guess.

Christ did he just take a picture of the pin on a freaking tile floor to post online?

Like in the movie! He's recreating the moment when Britt Robertson first picks it up.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shirt is dope, bought shirt. First glow in the dark thing I've owned in I dunno how long.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All this poo poo looks cool (Toy Story, Star Wars, Avatar), but you know what the real moneymaker will be right?

That expansion of Norway that makes it into Frozenland!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bottom Liner posted:

Wife just got back from the AK employee event. They got to ride Everest with the lights on (and could see the Yeti again, albeit in a frozen state).

Was it scary? Was the yeti cool? I feel like I saw it with the yeti working once, but that was *right* as it first opened. That poo poo was terrifying.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My family is here right now, I've been semi-sidelined with a stomach thing, so I haven't spent a whole lot of time in the parks (pretty much just Epcot for some F&W yesterday and Le Celier today, and Studios last night), but HOLY poo poo THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE AT EPCOT TODAY. Like, as crowded as a summer day, easily. I'm sure the races are a part of it, but it seemed like there were a lot of locals in the park this afternoon. Probably waiting for the FSU/Clemson and LSU/Bama games, a buttload of FSU and Bama fans all around (and a few hawkeyes!).

I got my hands on a Kylo Ren magic band, and my family could not have cared any less when I tried to explain who it was. "Oh he's from the new movie ok" (Yes, I am a nerd). I'm looking forward to Trader Sam's when the crowds calm down, reservations at Sanaa and the new Morimoto restaurant at the Springs, and just general Disney layabouting. It's nice after a stressful couple of months to come to Disney and relax; it's like home, but without all the responsibilities of being home.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thespis posted:

As a local, I haven't been finding Trader Sam's terribly difficult to get in to as of late. I've been visiting with groups of 3 or 4 and we've been able to snag a table just fine later in the day.

Does the Kylo Ren magic band make any noises when you scan it on the machines?

Not that I've noticed, but I haven't been paying attention. When I get to a park tomorrow I'll listen and see.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I stopped at Disney Springs today! It was... kinda eh, honestly. It's clear that they're not even close to finished with the place, and the giant stuff they're still in the middle of building looks nice. Marketplace was basically the same, but they changed the music and I hate it now. It used to just be a soundtrack of Disney songs, now it's weird elevator techno versions of Disney songs, and they sound really dumb. I hope they restore the classics soon, but since they're aiming for Mall Disney, I doubt they will. Pleasure IslandThe Landing was the most under construction part, and where we ate lunch. It doesn't remind me of PI anymore, which is probably for the best, and Jock Lindsay's lounge is open, though I didn't get a chance to stop.

We ate at Morimoto Asia, and it's mixed. We had some spare ribs to begin with, and they were amazing, and the Bao I had from the Dim Sum menu were also really good. Then we got the entrees, and yeeesh. The Black Pepper Steak was pretty good, served sizzling like fajitas, and were cooked well, flavored pretty nicely, if a little one note. The Orange Chicken was good, flavor-wise, but it was just strips of Chicken Tempura with sauce, served with a side of steamed Chinese Broccoli. No rice with either of these, which was a mistake, IMO. The worst part, unfortunately, was the Pork Chashu Ramen I ordered. I could tell it was not gonna be good the moment they set it down, because the broth wasn't cloudy like good ramen, but very clear, and when I tasted it, it was basically Hot Ham Water. I was a little annoyed that they included half a soy-cooked egg, because it wasn't on the menu, but I'm aware that I'm in the minority when it comes to not liking egg in my ramen, but the lack of flavor was astonishing, it was so disappointing. Normally when I get ramen from a ramen house, I need to restrain myself from just drinking the broth at the end, but I could not get through this. The waitress eyed me staring disappointedly at my bowl, and came over and asked if everything was ok, I told her what was up, and they offered to replace it, which they did, with a spicy tuna roll, which was quite good. But mannnnnn, I was so excited for ramen and it was like, sub the quality of something I could make in my apartment kitchen.

Me and my dad went to Trader Sam's later, which was excellent as always. We sat outside because we were running late and didn't get into the bar itself, but that meant I got to have a Spiky Pineapple, so all was good.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Old Man Pants posted:

Did they make a VROOOOM sound as they delivered it to your table? That was one of the Hangar highlights for us, the downside drinking that gross green revenge drink only to find out they didn't yet have the snake piks shown yet. (seriously, that green drink is horrible).

C'mon son, you should know better than to drink something containing Midori. That's some foul poo poo.

Actually, the Jock Lindsay menu doesn't look quite as good as the Trader Sam's one (though that could be because I'm a tiki drink lover through and through), but there are a couple drinks on there that pique my interest, and the food looks better all around as well. I might have to stop by tonight after my parents take off just to have a drink and check it out.

Also, this is almost certainly a long-shot, but there's not a bar on the resort that will be playing the republican debate tonight, right? I need to watch it, and I'd love to watch it with people, but if there's one thing that's never going to get play at Disney, it's politics.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Richard M Nixon posted:

Lots of info was released about food and wine this year. I'm super disappointed that the party for the senses isn't going on the first weekend in November, so I've missed it two years in a row. It looks like the only new country is the return of the Caribbean, but there's supposed to be a lot of food changes at individual booths. No word on the premium package quite yet...

We're planning our annual Food and Wine trip around my mom's birthday this year (though I won't be there for the full time because as it turns out, October is a pretty big deal when working on a presidential campaign), and I'll be arriving on the day of the last Trader Sam's event and leaving the day after a Party for the Senses. This is shaping up to be a pretty dope F&W year for me.

Of course, for my dad's 65th birthday next year my parents are going to Aulani since they've never been to Hawaii, and they're going to make a stop off in California to see Disneyland since we pretty much never go to that side of the country. DVC is pretty great, y'all.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tim Whatley posted:

I feel like a big dumb idiot but I can't find any of the info in terms of schedule about Food and Wine etc. Can someone post all that info? I'd love to learn more about this Trader Sams event and its dates!

As far as Food and Wine goes, Disney Food Blog is your best friend.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Richard M Nixon posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the burger party at Epcot during food and wine? It looks cool but I don't know if it's several hundred dollars worth of cool.

I think it would be cool, but I also think that if the following night has a Party for the Senses, that would be way better. I've been to a couple of the latter now and every time it's full of amazing food and drink, in a really wide variety. I'm super excited to do another one this year.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The weekend that I'm gonna be there was TBA before today so I was hoping that Hanson would end up being there that weekend, but they're gonna be there Halloween instead. They were really great when I saw them last year, it's amazing to think that the dorky teens/pre-teens that sang Mmmbop grew up and became awesome music dudes. Their last two songs were Mmmbop and a dope-rear end cover of I Believe in a Thing Called Love.

Instead, I get Tiffany. Which like, I'm not gonna disparage I Think We're Alone Now or anything, but she's not exactly the hidden gem when the rest of the lineup has performers like Hanson and BoyzIIMen and Chaka Khan.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bottom Liner posted:

Magic Kingdom alone has at least 40 Pokestops. Takes about 15 minutes to do a full circuit. Constant lures running too. It's nuts. Here's the Ingress map of MK (most of the points are also in GO)

Here's AK:

I haven't played this yet, but I guess I'll have to before I go in October.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not super surprising, but they've announced what's going to replace Pizza Planet, and I'm pretty pumped.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dugong posted:

This upsets me a lot. Tower of Terror is an icon of DCA and an excellent attraction.

Counterpoint: it only exists because they were desperate for visitors and it was recognizable and (relatively) easy to bring over. Giving it some unique personality, even if it means retheming it, is a good call.

Abu Dave posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh don't come east please or if you do replace rock n roller coaster

This also stands true. You can replace the lame clone, but if you touch the original I'm gonna be mad and sad.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 24, 2016

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Rumor mill is currently that Ellen's Energy Adventure will be what goes away for our Guardians attraction, with suggestions that it'll use the IP to cover educational information on the solar system.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What tiki mugs are only at the Trader Sam's in Disneyland? My family is going in February and my sister will have just turned 21, so we're definitely gonna go, and I want to take the opportunity to get the exclusive ones since we're never out in California, and we're in Orlando all the time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Old Man Pants posted:

This is by far the most beautiful restaurant I've ever been in. Make sure to hit the bar upstairs either before or after dinner.

Do not order the ramen. Maybe it's changed since I was there, but I had to send it back and get something else, which is literally the first time I've ever done that in a restaurant. It was really bland and flavorless.

Get the ribs. Just like a giant plate of ribs, and continue ordering them until you cannot move without the aid of a wheelbarrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So my family is going to be in Disney for my mom's birthday, and while she said she didn't want presents (the trip to Disney is generally enough for her), me and my sister want to surprise her with one of those dope-looking dome cakes from Amorette's. If I asked a cast member if they could keep it for a few hours and slip into our room and put it in the fridge while we're out at dinner that night, would they do that for us? My other option is just hiding it in the freezer until we leave and then slipping it in the fridge, but I don't want to look too suspicious if I don't have to.