Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The girlfriend and I just got back from our annual all-park visit. We were able to get in before rope drop for Flight of Passage, which kicked rear end. We had night FPs for River Journey and oh my god I would have been so loving pissed if I'd waited in the 90-minute standby line for that disappointing thing.

Hollywood Studios on Tuesday was amazing. We rode Star Tours seven times because we're big fuckin nerds, often right after another because the crowds were so thin. We bought a lightsaber for her little cousin which made a Stormtrooper very angry when he stopped me to ask what was in my bag.

Happily Ever After is very good.

A+ trip

e: Oh yeah and she recently got the Disney Visa credit card, which apparently allowed us to go straight to the front of the line for Kylo Ren and Minnie (among other park perks). Definitely exercise this privilege if you have the card, it was wonderful.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BlueBayou posted:

The Star Wars VOID VR thing at Disney Springs is *fantastic* We got to do it twice because one guy's gun malfunctioned in the final scene so they started us over. So dope.
Just got back from a 6-day round-park trip with the future in-laws (MK and Epcot 2x, AK and HS 1x) and had an amazing time, but I basically wanted to second this. The Void was loving incredible and my inner Dark-Forces-playing-13-year-old self came alive. It was forty bucks well spent.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Quixotic1 posted:

I meant if can you fail the mission, I have no idea if it's more of a game or an interactive movie.
It’s sort of both. You have tasks to accomplish but I think eventually they solve themselves. I actually asked the attendant about this for one part in particular (I’ll spoil it just to be safe I guess, but it’s not a huge deal). You start the mission unarmed, and early on you stumble across a room with a rack of blasters on the wall. You’re supposed to just pick them up and stay silent, but they have two very sensitive triggers that I accidentally shot off. The bolt flew across the room and exploded on the wall with a flash all three of us could see which I thought was really cool, but immediately alarms started going off and K-2SO started scolding you about blowing our cover as stormtroopers started appearing outside. When we were done I asked the guy what happens if you do just take the blasters and wait, and he said eventually the troopers will discover you and the mission proceeds, but it’s way more fun to set off the gun.

As far as points for mission failure go though, I do sort of wonder about what happens if (more major spoilers here so maybe don’t hover unless you’ve done it) you don’t shoot the lava bug or Vader — does the bug just keel over once it gets close enough and does Vader just back off?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dren posted:

An interesting failure point to test would be walking off of the moving lava platform at the beginning. I’m not sure shooting or not shooting at Vader matters one bit. Vader seems completely unaffected by the blaster shots. I only shot at him cuz there was nowhere to run away to.
The floating lava platform is the same floor space as the cubicle you’re in. If you tried to step off the platform you’d run into a wall.

Yes, I was peeking out from under my helmet constantly. I’m the one who wants to ruin all the Disney Magic. It was neat because I could also see the life sized models of k2so and the r2 unit in the scenes they were in

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

couldcareless posted:

With the rising costs of the dining plans, they really need to bump up some of the shittier quick services. HS really needs a good one period.
We ate at PizzeRizzo for the first time last year and have been going back every visit since. It’s just such a great little place— off the main path, great food, decent price, good size meals but not too much, air conditioning, nice views, plenty of seats, and not busy in the slightest. Compare that with something like Starlight in MK or Backlot Express. I really wonder why it’s not more popular, or if it’s just the location since it’s way back by that Christmas store in the Muppets area that isn’t very popular.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

No doubt Future World needs the most work, but is there anything else to the rumors about World Showcase? There’s that empty pavilion next to Germany I heard they might turn into Pacific Islands/Moana, and the “sorta Africa” area next to it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

couldcareless posted:

As a person that also has a hard time with coasters, I will say Everest is a joy. I find that the more immersive theming really helps with the drop and thrills, and since a big chunk of it is in the dark or quite literally behind you, I have a much better time with it. I'd suggest trying to swallow your nerve and give it a go.

And I do hope they fix bird on a stick because that's easily the highlight of the ride.
My fiancée can’t do coasters because she’s got a bad fear of heights (she was petrified on Primeval Whirl) but she loves Everest as long as she closes her eyes on that one section of the lift hill. That’s actually true of most Disney coasters (except PW), where she loves them since they’re very accessible to non-coaster fans due to being heavily themed and appearing close to the ground.

And I get a kick out of the headbands every time I get up there. It’s so weird but I love that it randomly became A Thing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

couldcareless posted:

Lots of crazy opinions ITT
I had the worst Scotch eggs I’ve ever had in my life last year at the food & wine festival.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hey fellas, my fiancée’s birthday is coming up and I’d love to snag her one of the new Memento-Moro-only Haunted Mansion spirit jerseys that have just started coming out. Can any of you park regulars help me out? Shoot me a pm if you can.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy god drat there’s an A-Wing. I was messing with the Play app in HS yesterday and I saw one in the Galaxy’s Edge rendering but I tried not to get too excited, but there’s a real life god drat A-Wing in that video.

Also, we’re here because my fiancée and I used part of our honeymoon money to buy our first annual passes :toot:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

By the way, thank you to whoever recommended the Night Blossom at Animal Kingdom. It’s definitely no butterbeer but thanks to this thread I picked one up after banshee-riding on Sunday and I enjoyed it.

I took my first visit to Universal during our trip also. I’m afraid Disney has ruined theme parks for me. It’s a fine park but everything there just seemed so dirty and inferior. A bunch of the rides seemed like they were just variations on Spider-Man. The Harry Potter areas were the only parts that came close to Disney-tier immersiveness. And gently caress those lockers. They force you to unnecessarily put your stuff in them for free for so many dry rides, then the only ride where I actually wanted to use them to keep my poo poo dry (the Jurassic Park water ride) charged you. Conversely, the next morning I went to Magic Kingdom during a storm and Splash Mountain had free ziploc bags in the queue. I felt like that perfectly summed up the Disney vs. Universal experience. I wouldn’t have minded so much if it wasn’t 180 bucks for the two park pass.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Oh for sure! I grew up going to Six Flags Great America and thought all amusement parks were like it, until my fiancée forced me to go to Disney World. Now I Get It and I love it. Universal was amazing and light years beyond Six Flags/Carowinds/Busch/Paramount’s Kings but I’m astonished they consider themselves even in the same league as Disney.

Hulk, Transformers, and HP Forbidden Journey owned. Rippin Rockit or whatever beat the poo poo out of me. Men in Black made me sad seeing how old it is. I’d definitely love to go back and explore some more but the price point is ridiculous.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 11, 2019

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

chitoryu12 posted:

Don’t worry, there are two pilots! One on yaw and one on pitch!

This will totally not be uncontrollable!
I dunno how many of us Goons grew up playing X-wing and Rebel Assault but fuckin lol at this disaster if true

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My mom was with me when we got stuck on Under the Sea. Sometimes she calls me and puts on Sebastian's accent and asks if I know where dat see witch is.
My very first ride at Disney World was Splash Mountain and the ride broke down underneath the opossums.

how do you do

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Logic Probed posted:

I notice people talk a lot about the Lightsaber shop in Galaxy's Edge, but I don't hear as much about the Droid Depot. I'm curious as to how big of a droid you can honestly make there, considering the amount of effort that went into everything else, or if it's all miniature toy-sized and disappointing.
I want to know the capabilities of them as well. I saw the DFB videos and I know you can make an astromech or BB-style droid, but is it like a full on Sphero or can you just play with it in the park?

I probably will drop the money on the saber course. I’ve spent impractical amounts on lightsabers since I was a kid and got my first LED saber back when Hasbro was making them. I’m just worried I won’t like any of the custom options I guess, but hopefully I’ll be so caught up in the process I won’t care.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I did the same with my in-laws and parents. Afterwards they agreed it was worth it.

I’ve rope dropped it all three times I’ve ridden it and I don’t think I’ve waited more than 45 minutes. Even the time with my wife and I hustling four old people over there. Which I would say is insane for most rides but FoP owns. Really as long as you’re in line closer than the bridge to Africa it’s not too bad because at least the queue is fun.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My favorite ride ever was going on Mission Space with my wife and her parents. It was my vertigo-suffering mother-in-law’s first time on Orange and the entire time she just repeated “OoOOOOOah poo poo! OoooAAAAH gently caress!” And the rest of us three didn’t hit a button the entire time because were laughing so hard while also fighting the centrifuge. And that’s how we failed our mission to Mars.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

couldcareless posted:

Someone close to him should really tell him to put down the shovel
“I’ve annoyed Disney with my arrogant clickbait rumors to the point where their official PR people playfully shut me down. Surely the best way to get back into their good graces is to talk about how disrespectful and callous they are and how I’m so much better than them.”

Like I get the dude has hit a couple homers and that’s cool but he’s just so loving unlikeable.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nottherealaborn posted:

I mean, what exactly has he been correct on that wasn’t also simultaneously reported by other, more reputable sites?
I honestly have no idea. I’d be curious to find out though.

Cais posted:

Yeah, Liberty Inn shutting down is no loss at all especially given so many other great options in Epcot. New menu sounds pretty good and if it’s any near as good as Flame Tree it might dethrone Japan or Morocco’s quick service for me.
:yeah: Tangierine Cafe owns

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Holy poo poo he seriously is

quote:

We thank all of you who wrote in to voice your love and nostalgia for the Country Bears and helped to Save the Jamboree!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So tonight we had dinner with a colleague with deep connections in Disney World, and apparently everyone in upper management knows Tom and his girlfriend and hates them. Aside from the crazy rumor-mongering and clickbait, one of the main reasons is that Tom has been kicked out of the parks several times because he won’t stop trying to steal poo poo.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Came here to see if anybody posted that Galaxy’s Edge previews for APs have been announced. No details apparently, just the fact that they’re doing it. :woop:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Empress Brosephine posted:

Not Disney related. But today I learned there was a hard rock theme park that only lasted for 1 year but had a Led Zeppelin roller coaster and a knights in white satin dark ride
I went to grad school in Myrtle and went in 2009 when it was rebranded as Freestyle Music Park before it closed forever that year. I got to go on a day when students got in free but for general admission they were charging Six Flags prices for a VERY sub-Six Flags park. There weren’t a ton of attractions and only two coasters. The Led Zeppelin coaster (Time Machine when I visited) was a decent hypercoaster and had the same gimmick as the Rippin Rocket in Universal where you could pick your own music. The other coaster whose name I can’t remember was a smaller was a fun smaller ride (about the size of Primeval Whirl) and had a cool mechanism where instead of a lift hill a rotating drum cycled cars up to the top of the first drop. I honestly don’t remember doing much else but it was very unimpressive. I got a sweet souvenir water bottle that was literally the Hard Rock guitar with the sticker ripped off and replaced with the Freestyle Music Park sticker.

They had the attendance— Family Kingdom is a small amusement park in Myrtle that’s very popular. Hard Rock was just horribly managed.

Zeppelin/Time Machine actually stood for a while and was very visible off Hwy 501 on your way into the beach. They only finished tearing it down a few years ago.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zero One posted:

Re: Hard Rock Park. I had a few friends who worked there the first year.

It's real problem was that they spent a lot of money anticipating that they would get Orlando levels of attendance. It turns out that people don't go to Myrtle Beach for theme parks. They go to spend time at the Beach.

It's a real shame too because from all reports (I never got there myself) they did an amazing job building the park. It was designed by some of the people who did Islands of Adventure and you could see the influence throughout the park. The Moody Blues dark ride was incredible and their nightly lagoon fireworks show was set to "Bohemian Rhapsody".
Oh wow this jarred loose a memory! I did see the Queen fireworks show and it was fantastic.

Really the park itself was underwhelming but very well designed. It was just out of place because, like you said, Myrtle is where you go for cheap beach time, playing golf, and getting drunk at strip clubs.

The park was also built directly adjacent to Medieval Times, a popular waterside bar, and a megachurch. So like, there were a lot of confusing energies in those few acres.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That reminds me, I recently watched an awesome video (edit: https://youtu.be/7iGZuA_LSk8) about the inner workings of Tower of Terror (ruining/figuring out Disney Magic is extremely my poo poo) and it’s insane how many redundancies and failsafes the imagineers put into their rides.

And speaking of internet videos, I saw another one— not gonna link it— about how Galaxy’s Edge was a colossal flop and it’s basically empty because Disney Raped Star Wars and other bullshit. I was really confused until I saw in the related videos: Why Everyone Hates Brie Larsen. So yeah.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nanigans posted:

Abigail Disney went undercover into Disney Land to see how bad the castmembers have it

She calls out Iger for making a ton of money and hardly paying park workers. :(
Have they not rolled out $15 an hour in Orlando yet? I know they were supposed to be doing that very soon.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Passholder previews are live folks. Just registered for smugglers run and Savi’s workshop. I’m probably going to cry real tears.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

stratofarius posted:

Folks, I have been to Galaxy's Edge. I have flown the Falcon. I have drank the blue milk. And I can't wait to do it all over again.

That’s delightful to hear.

Supermechagodzilla used to post in the CineD Star Wars thread the same meme over and over: Star Wars Fans Don’t Actually Like Star Wars. It annoyed everybody, including me, but after seeing these chud fuckboys post whiny YouTube videos about Disneyland Galaxy’s Edge being a colossal flop because of Disney and feminism somehow, I get it now.

On the bright side this hopefully means there will be more space for people who actually enjoy Star Wars.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Oh yeah, that. Get ready for a price hike.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

They’re trying to steal some spotlight from D23 by announcing their new park.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Icedude posted:

I'm currently looking at prices for Universal tickets and a pair of 2 day park to park tickets is hideously expensive.
That was my reaction. It’s an insane amount of money. I’m glad I went but I got to do everything I wanted and I wouldn’t do it again.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Braksgirl posted:

Just keep in mind you have to have the park to park ticket if you want to ride Hogwarts Express.

That was part of the appeal for me when getting the park hopper pass— and don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it— but you can literally get the same experience from watching a YouTube video.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

San Angel has a great atmosphere and ambience, but the food was just okay and the crowded-ness kind of diminished the experience.

No love for Coral Reef though? We’ve eaten dinner there twice and you can’t ask for a better view. I’m a marine biologist though so I’m pretty heavily biased.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I admit I was a little worried when they said reservations dropped today, like I thought I’d registered for Smuggler’s Run and Savi’s but I never had to pick a time or anything. I just got off the phone and they said for passholder preview days you’re guaranteed the items you picked, but they will just schedule you as you arrive. I’m going to build a god drat lightsaber.

Cais posted:

We had our preview today and I really really love smuggler’s run. We did it about six times, and we had a full crew which was nice when we decided to tank a run to see what that looks like. Turns out you CAN owe Hondo money.
I really hope we get a chance for something similar and it’s not just so packed that we can only get to do our two things and then get booted.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SteelMentor posted:

Just one jaunt through the comments of any idiot treating this as real news and it's so clear it's desperately wishful thinking on behalf of the kind of weirdos who unironicly use the term "SJW Wars".

Based on my casual and totally non scientific observation of social media, there’s this weird, extremely vocal subset of younger Star Wars “fans” between the ages of 14-21 who are total shithead Trumper chuds and are so desperate for anything Star Wars-related to fail to justify their warped idea that everyone hates The Last Jedi because it “pushed a liberal agenda.”

As though Star Wars hasn’t always been about progressive values overcoming right-wing fascism. Like, it’s not even subtle. But these people don’t actually like or understand Star Wars. They just want to post HELLO THERE and lol at being “prequel memers.”

I’m very tired of these idiots. But my feeling is that they can just boycott the park all they want so there’s more room for those of us who actually like Star Wars.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bottom Liner posted:

If Pandora was Hogsmeade, this is Diagon Alley[...]

My stomach clenched a little reading this. It’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. I can’t wait until my visit on Monday.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zero One posted:

I went to GE today. I'll post more thoughts and pics later but it was really cool. Rode Millennium Falcon six times.

We’re driving down tomorrow for our AP preview. I’m beyond excited. Do you think we’ll be able to do the falcon more than once?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Grabbing a quick lunch at Disney Springs, then it’s off to Galaxy’s Edge at one. Then Trader Sam’s and some MK fastpasses. Gonna be a big day.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Galaxy’s Edge delivered and it was absolutely amazing. We’re stranded with car trouble on 95 but I’ll post more for what it’s worth later. I love my custom lightsaber.

couldcareless posted:

It sounds like the Ray/Kylo/Chewbacca/Troopers wandering is actually working fairly well and with any luck will encourage more of that sort of immersive theater.
I saw Vi Moradi quite often going around and interacting with guests, but I don’t think anyone knew who she was because Disney hasn’t really promoted her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

We ended up towing the car all the way back to Walterboro only to have it start right up after nobody could find anything wrong with it.

chitoryu12 posted:

Use the lightsaber to flag down help.
I made this same joke to my fiancée if we ended up stranded after dark.

Beachcomber posted:

What a piece of junk!
We actually had the “made the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs” magnet on the back. :v:

Anyway, Galaxy’s Edge. A lot has been said about how it has room for potential growth, and I agree, but it’s still a masterpiece. I like how it doesn’t smash you in the face like Pandora. In fact, it’s rather quiet as you first enter. Heads up: I’m gonna talk a bunch about Savi’s since nobody in this thread has yet, and it’s what I was most looking forward to.

Our pass started at 1, and after presenting our credentials we were allowed into the heavily blockaded entryway area next to the Muppets gift shop. I wanted to explore a little but they said I had to report to Savi’s for my “metal shop” at 1:10. The trail leading in was quiet, as I said, until you started seeing signs of tech and eventually full on Resistance ships.

Signing in at Savi’s wasn’t as covert and surreptitious as I was led to believe— it’s a basic walk up register with the cast members echoing the “scrap metal” lines where you wait outside the door with the other builders. I’m not gonna go over the whole show since you can look it up on YouTube if you want to be spoiled, but I will say it felt a little rushed. I had an idea of what saber I wanted to build but I would’ve liked to play around with the different sleeve and end cap combinations some more. The shop leader (he only said his name once so I have no idea what it was) did his intro spiel and basically said “ok go” and then all the assisting cast members spread out amongst the stations. If you had trouble with a part (the threading is a little tricky and while I can dis- and re-assemble it easily now after playing with it a while, it wasn’t very intuitive at first) the CMs would essentially take it and do it for you, which I thought took away from the immersiveness. I get that they have to accommodate lots of guests, but for $215 I’d have liked some more time. Sidenote: there were way too many CMs for what was needed, but clearly they’re still figuring out what kind of staffing they need for each area.

I walked in planning on a yellow blade, but even though I could see it in his demo box, its Kyber crystal wasn’t available in the canisters the CMs brought around. So I snagged a purple because I like blue but already have the Master Replicas Anakin and D23 Rey sabers. Once we finished building, we stood back so the cast members could set up for the most impressive part, which was the way they ignited the sabers.

We all got padded over-the-shoulder sheaths for our new sabers, which answered my question of how they were going to let guests carry them around the park without breaking them or showing them to the roving troopers. I would’ve rather had them sent to the front of the park but again, it may be an adjustment they make later. The sheaths are crap and started unraveling and pilling almost right away, but they got the job done. I think I saw some better quality cases available in the shop where we headed next.

I picked up a yellow and red crystal. A shop attendee was standing attentively against the wall of crystals and holocrons, and I asked him if they’d found a way to solve the problem of eBay sellers coming in and shining lights through the red crystals to find and sell the special obsidian ones. He laughed and said, “You’re looking at him.” Apparently they’re going to either add foil wrappers or keep them behind the counter, but for now they’ve authorized CMs to tell people to quit touching the merch.

We hit the Falcon after that, and then two more times later. I got to do everything except left pilot. Piloting was fun, but I loved engineering. You got to watch and take in more but still feel like you were helping with your button mashing. Unlike gunning, which was both tedious and physically uncomfortable. You’re poking at the wall T-Rex style, and you can choose from manual or automatic gunning. I, a veteran of Rebel Assault/X-Wing/Rogue Squadron, thought I’d be cool by picking manual. I got five kills. My fiancée picked auto and got 25. So I hated gunning.

It rained pretty heavily for a while and we got to enjoy seeing the management staff walk around frowning and complaining about the various spills caused by the banners and drapery hanging above the market area.

I saw troopers harassing people like they did in regular Hollywood studios. Rey walked around silently visiting ships and I never saw her interact with anyone. Vi was killing it. Chewie hammed it up and bolted away whenever he saw FO coming. I never caught sight of Kylo in the five hours I was there (I took Zero One’s advice and noticed that nobody actually made you leave at the end of your preview time) but I’m sure he was around.

Ronto wraps were incredible, but also incredibly overpriced. It’s a $13 gyro. No thanks. Blue milk was surprisingly refreshing. We didn’t see Oga’s. We didn’t have reservations, but the attendant outside said if we waited to pounce when the line was short enough, we might get invited in. But we decided to keep exploring.

Speaking of, I had an absolute blast playing with the datapad. It’s a great way to pass time in line for the falcon but it’s also a great feature on its own. I actually ended up helping the First Order more than the Resistance. But it was a ton of fun. I would be hacking a droid or something and other guests would ask me what I was doing, then head off on their own quests.

I can’t wait to go back.