Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If they could just "steal" the entire design doc of the original Homeworld 2 before the sudden shift in development, that'd be great. But I think instead I'm just going to love the originals what they were and live with the fact that this franchise is gone. What a sub-par dev house known for FPS' and lovely work plan on doing with an RTS game, I don't think I want to find out.

Of course the game wasn't exactly in good hands at Relic, either - the founding team that was behind their first titles has long since left. Look at the poo poo they've churned out lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Relic was always just an inch short of greatness, but what exactly was so 'poo poo' about their recent releases? All the DoWs were hella fun to play, CoH was full of some badly needed new ideas to bring to the RTS stage and for a studio that specializes in RTSes, they sure made one of the best "STFU AND KICK rear end" brainless FPSes this side of Serious Sam.
Their quality had seriously begun to slide after the release of the original CoH, Opposing Fronts was a fairly decent expansion, Tales of Valor was... not. Then they went on their DoW stint; DoW 40K was pretty fun (if not clunky) but the successive expansions brought less and less to the table and became stale before long. Then DoW II removed about half of the game and tried to disguise the lack of any gameplay and maps with pretty graphics and particle effects. Then there was CoH: Online and I have no idea what the hell was going on there.

As for the FPS? It looks like your garden variety sci-fi FPS with nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd. Will CoH II buck the downward trend? I have no idea, I haven't been following it.

There is a clear difference in the level quality in their games when you compare their earlier titles to their most recent releases.

ZombyDog posted:

That's why I can stare at the Enemy Starfighter gifs over and over, and probably why I just can't get angry at Gearbox acquiring the rights, especially after learning about....

[Hardware video]
This has my interest piqued, I can definitely see the similarities in art style. The phrase F2P has me tempering my enthusiasm though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crash74 posted:

It looks looks its going to be a f2p, why would anyone shell out a 100 bucks for a free game.... that is free :psyboom: ? I could see if they added some super awesome bonuses, but as of now I cant even tell what this game is. Is it a rts, fps, or copy of Homeworld, I just don't know.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... this game will eventually be released for free, why would I pay $50/$100 to troubleshoot it for them? I guess they need some seed money until whatever freemium model kicks in?

And beyond that all we know that the concept art looks pretty and will involve space ships in some fashion. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem shelling out $80-$90 for collectors editions of games in franchises I like (and I'd be amazed to learn if the devs I want to support saw a single red cent from the extra money I paid), but in this case, I don't even know what I'd get in return.

Hardware looks interesting, and I want to see more, but the complete lack of details aside from "this will be F2P" makes me worried that this will be another let down.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Seems you can't pre-order/purchase that outside of the United States, oh well.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The Homeworld games have always had fantastic art direction; HW1 looked great for the time but in all honesty it aged terribly, where as HW2 looks gorgeous even today. You can see some of the same design elements cross over into CoH, though it's odd their only other game, Impossible Creatures, looks nothing like any of the others. While you can see some of those same elements making their way into Shipbreakers I'm curious to see how Gearbox spruces things up. By the time Relic closed shop most of the original staff had jumped ship and I have no idea where they are these days.

I'm not sure why Gearbox is keeping such a tight lid on details for the Homeworld games and Shipbreakers, but at least in the Shipbreakers trailer the cut-scenes are reminiscent of the Karak cinematic at the beginning of HW1 and their APC thing looks like the pulled it right from same video. Will be interesting to see what finally comes of it.

Also, I'm glad they sorted out shipping to Canada at least - I finally have a use for the Amazon gift vouchers I received last year. I'm looking forward to my bitchin' new Mothership lamp in the coming months.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ghetto wormhole posted:

uhhhhhhh, I think you may be confused

Meant to say "one of their only other" games. I thought they died with THQ but I see Sega has kept them going, perhaps to poo poo out even more Dawn of War games.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

jBrereton posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic_Entertainment#List_of_video_games

Here, hope that helps you speak authoritatively about Relic Entertainment in future.
Thanks, I'll turn to Wikipedia for all my information needs now. Of the 17 entries there half of them are expansion packs and most of those are for the same game, but whatever helps pad their resume.

jBrereton posted:

For the HW series, it's probably because if they just do the same stuff again, the only people getting misty-eyed over Kharak etc. are people that are trying to, and if they don't do the same stuff again, the kind of fans who buy pricey nerd lamps will be dismayed and will have a <100% chance of buying HW2 Remastered.

Shipbreakers, maybe they've just done gently caress all after binning the abortive first project?
Fortunately both Homeworld and Homeworld 2 are included in the remastered collection, so maybe they're trying to pack all that disappointment into one package? They've already confirmed they're just retouching the graphics and audio, not anything else. They're even throwing in the originals in case you want to get nostalgic and teary eyed with them to relive your youth.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Phrosphor posted:

Didn't it originally start life as part of Imperium Galactica 3?

I believe it was from the same company but I don't think they had planned on it being a 4X from the outset, it was also cobranded at one point too but it looks like they dropped the name. That's honestly why I never really liked it from the outset. IG2 was one of my favourite games and I wish GOG or some one would rerelease it. NTJI just struck me as a mildly fustrating space sim.

As for this latest Homewold spin off, I don't mind that there isn't much info out there. I don't really know what they could go into without really spoiling the game outright. I guess I'm just glad that its not F2P garbage anymore and a sorta proper RTS.

Have to see how the early reviews go before jumping in.

Edit:

Raygereio posted:

Yeah. It started as Imperium Galactica 3: Genesis. Then Digital Reality's publisher went bankrupt. The title was picked up by Philos Laboratories who renamed it to Galaxy Andromeda, but then these guys went bankrupt as well.
A lot of Philos' staff joined Mithis Entertainment, so I guess someone stuffed the game in his bag and took it with him to Mithis where it became Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
Ah, now I remember that whole saga. Thats what really tanted the game for me - I had been really looking forward to a sequel of IG2 and it was scrapped and morphed into a space combat sim instead.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 7, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

rocket_Magnet posted:

I could've sworn you could pick imperium galactica II up from somewhere for pc? No? If you have an ipad, or android tablet; it was released on their respective app stores for some bizarre reason. IG2 never struck me as the kind of game that would work well on tablets.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitalreality.ig2&hl=en_GB
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/imperium-galactica-2/id510652364?mt=8

Some quick googling and you can get the original game via :files: but I've no idea what it's compatibility with modern systems is like. Personally, when I tried it on android I quickly realized i had rose tinted glasses when it came to faults the game has, it has not aged well imo.

When the tablet version came out I had hoped it would also get a release for modern PCs but that never happen. I don't happen to own a tablet and don't want to try playing a game like that on a Galaxy S4 so I never looked into it further.

I also have the original disks around somewhere, likely covered in a decade's worth of dust. I know the software as it was released really doesn't like modern hardware so I've never been bothered to go back to them.

But if the game hasn't aged well, as you said, maybe its best to just remember it as it was back then rather than what it is now.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah this game is probably niche enough that it can do pretty well with just word of mouth, the franchise has a pretty solid fan base as it is and it's not exactly dime-a-dozen corridor shooter shovelware.

I doubt Gearbox has sunk tens of millions of dollars into this game anyway so even if it isn't a blockbuster smash it likely won't have cost them much, or really need much to at least pay for itself. This team did, after all, survive on donations and planned on releasing some free-to-play crapola that likely wouldn't have gotten them much money to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, a lot of people have been making the comparison to Ground Control here - I guess there's one more. With the Gaalsien preferring hover tanks and energy based weapons like the Order of New Dawn and the Clans preferring conventional wheeled/tracked vehicles and kinetic weapons like the Craven Corporation.

It looks like both sides have units that fill similar roles, but maybe the have different strengths and abilities that force you to use different tactics?

• Locked thread