Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I have been following this game since I said the game might be a "meh arcade" game in the first thread. Since then I started to really like it and have high hopes for it, then recently fell back down to meh.

Here is what I worried about right now If anyone can debunk my worries I would be happy. I want to like this game.

From what I saw so far they are completely focusing on "Hey our game is a real zombie survival sandbox game!" in their press coverage. But then they throw around things like the fact that you are stuck with the story no matter what and once you do the last mission, the games over. This leads me to wonder if they don't fully believe in their survival sandbox to provide a fulfilling experience. If they did they would offer a sandbox mode. They are praising their awesome sandbox and survival gameplay, while the development choices seem to contradicts it. For instance, there is no resources that you need. There are bullets, but guns are optional. There is food, but eating is optional. There is medicine, but why get hurt for them just to use them? There is zero survival aspect to the game. None. This game is a "survival sim" as much as Call of Duty zombie mode is. Which hurts the sandbox experience I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Jonny Retro posted:

Food and medicine are necessary and not optional. Yes, you can use them in the field for quick boosts, but you are going to need them at the base. People need to eat, and can get sick. If you don't have these things people will start to get weak, grumpy, and may begin to leave or die. People can definitely die if you don't have medicine for them when they fall ill.

gently caress the people.

But no I kid. I didn't know they really needed you to do all the finding things for them. Till I get a garden that is.

That wasn't everything though, that was something that popped into my mind. The feeling this game will be normal arcade is too hard to explain I guess(I'm terrible with words already). When I stop thinking about it and just watch gameplay it looks great. If I start to analyze it I just get the feeling there isn't much too it. Perhaps the mechanics are showing too much or it just my lizard brain. Guess we will see.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Jonny Retro posted:

There are generators, but I don't know if that's something you build, it's just part of a base, or some third thingie.

I thought I heard they were part of some bases you could get.

Them cars...Some look great(the pickup truck and the old muscle), others look like hotwheels(2fast2furious and the new muscle).

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

The game is pretty fun. Got about 3 hours in before work, still in first town. Found a Plants vs Zombies reference in the back yard of some house. My biggest complaint is the apparent lack of aim assist. Really it's crazy. If anyone that hasn't bought the game that wants to see how hard it is to aim, load up your favorite FPS and try killing your teammates in the head. Now imagine that but with them two times thinner and that there are things running at you trying to kill you.

The last thing is that for some reason the game doesn't run at the right resolution? Like it runs off the screen a bit. No other game has done that since I had a SD CRT TV as my 360 video output.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Including Maya. I'm sorry.

RIP Maya "Yoga Pants" Torres.

E: For wood go around and look for the "factory" icons on the mini map. They are usually sheds and poo poo in back yards and they have metric rear end tons of wood. You get like 15-20 per sack and a lot of the sites will have multiple sacks.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 5, 2013

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

Well my preacher died. Some moron let a zombie into the compound and preacher man got ate.

I kinda wish some of my guys would die. The closest I have come was with Maya in a besieged mission. I alearted 2 hordes to the house along with the normal cluster gently caress of zombies. Then I got in a car and ran a bunch over, glitched the car on a zombie which made front tyres dissapear and the zombie I glitch on just floated into space Skyrim style.

The worst thing that has happened to me is that I flipped my Ford f150 over.

e: They should of got rid of the "tap A to not die" everytime you drop. It gives you at least 3 lives. Which is plenty of time to cheese it.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 5, 2013

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Syndlig posted:

Anyone else having issues with zombies just randomly and constantly spawning inside the church safehouse? I upgraded the guard post with Sniping to increase my sphere of safety or whatever, and since then, instead of making the area safe it's just made the entire outside of the building Zombietown with a bunch of big zombies I've never seen before leaping over the walls to rip the everloving poo poo out of everyone.

Do you have an infested house next to your base? I had that problem with a seperate survivor group that constantly got overrun and murdered. Stop making a safe house there ding dongs!

VV for what it's worth I got the "sniper upgrade"(Pretty sure it's a 1 hour long buff) and it didn't cause any problems and saved a survivors life that was getting eaten outside the normal perimiter.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 6, 2013

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

VoLaTiLe posted:

I have had so many close shaves and have only just figured out how to use firearms, anyone know the trick to killing the Fat dudes quickly?

Anyway I'm loving the game its crazy this is an arcade title show's just how much can be done

Running them over twice with a car works. Once just knocks them over, the next kills them. Alternatively I just beat on everything with a stick and that seems to work just fine. Ferals, Zombie Goons, Screamers, they all fall to the might of my sticks.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Why isn't the barbed wire all along the fences of the safehouses? Zombies keep on climbing in the gaps.

Not that it would matter because zombies give zero fucks about barbed wire. That gaps are for you so you can just jump over instead of slowly hauling your rear end to the front.

Sucks that some people's nights are too dark. Luckily my TV has a pretty big brightness range. Why they didn't give an option for gamma I will never understand. Maybe you guys can plug it into your computer monitor's until it is fixed.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Bland posted:

Alan shot him for me pretty much the moment I left camp :v: I looked around on another board and it appears this might have been scripted, so hey, nevermind.

I might not need to spoiler this, but what ever: My Preacher got sick, but hes getting better. Alan is gravely sick now and I have the option to end him but I'm waiting to see if he gets better. This leads me to believe it isn't scripted.

Dark_swordmaster posted:

I tried that... They. Just. Kept. Coming......

It does end, but depending on the area and the zombies around there can be a metric rear end load extra adds. I spent 30 min on my first one. After I finished the same mission popped up again. They were right next to an infested house too.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Lotish posted:

A big reason this won't work, I found pretty early on when my wife and I decided we'd split Maya and Marcus between us, is that Fatigue builds up fairly quickly, lowering max stamina, and if you have a bad scrap you lose max health too. The only way to recover those is to let the character rest while you play someone else.

Energy drinks and coffee raise the max stamina. There are narcotics like morphine that raise max health and you also get a radio command that refills your stamina to it's fullest called words of inspiration, if you don't get the preacher killed.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Rirse posted:

So is there anything to do with items like the alarm clock or broken toys besides putting them in storage?

They are selected like normal items then used with RB. The alarm clock is placed on the ground and rings 3-5 seconds later attracting zombies. I think the toys can be thrown at windows to attract zombies to them.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Are there any bases with a generator built in? I remember seeing a sweet looking boat base in some concept art that was suppose to have one, but I couldn't find it in game :(. So far I have found:

Ascension Church
Kirkman Residence
Savini Residence
McReady's Farmhouse
The Alamo
Snyder Trucking

And I think that's all there is. Making Snyder Trucking the biggest base. Wish there was more, or that you could make any place a base. I would love to have the abandoned factory outside Marshall as a base.

Anyway I stopped playing until the new patch hits. I'm sick of no one standing guard on the tower and letting zombies in and I'm sick of "Too many infestations" from infestations across the map.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

cat doter posted:

Funny thing is, there are no infestations. None.

If you cleared every infestation in the entire map out you need to turn off the game and turn it back on and it will go away. More than likely there are a few somewhere, it counts infestations for the entire map right now. This will be fixed with next patch.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I think I am stuck... in a loving abandoned farm house. I jumped through the window, can't jump out.

Have you tried a different window? Or the door? I had the church front door stop working on me before, might be the same glitch.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

The farm is full of leaves and poo poo and you can't move around inside.

drat that sucks. You should be able to switch out into a different character as long as you have some friends not busy.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

My Sam died :(. I never really used her that much so I decided to try her. She started with a baton and a shotgun. The shotgun was awesome, I was just rolling around shot gunning everything and taking down infestations. Then I "started" a mission to find a missing dick, but it was next to a new infestation. Sam was already low on HP so I tried swapping her and I loving couldn't. I was stuck on her with a tiny sliver of HP. She died as she lived; running to a car.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Are we sure the Pastor's illness and death is scripted? He died fairly early in my first game, but in my current game I'm much further along in the story and moved to Snyder Trucking quite a long time ago and he's still alive and kicking.

My pastor got better and was good for days. Then Alan the dickhead shot him.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

losonti tokash posted:

What about it makes it unsuited to consoles?

Pretty much every technical aspect. The team outright said they had a few things they wanted to add that wouldn't of been too difficult but couldn't because of memory restrictions. The one they mentioned was hunting and wildlife. There is also terrible model and texture pop-in, huge framerate drops, and a fairly long load time for this day and age. There is a pretty decent simulation going on in the background of this game, consoles don't seem to be very well suited for simulations. The next gen consoles would handle it a lot better I'm sure.

\/\/ Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable that it's on Xbox first. I also don't think it was really their choice. Their publisher is Microsoft. Someone said the arcade had been dead for a bit so it makes sense.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 11, 2013

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Sankis posted:

It's a pretty good game even in it's current state, but my biggest worry right now is whether or not microsoft will pull their shenanigans in regard to patches. It'd be a drat shame if everything extra had to be paywalled, assuming the developers are even looking at such things.

Edit: Seems my fear is unfounded at the moment. I just patched my game and the title update is 61 megs. I believe the typical cap is 4 megs, so they're obviously being given some latitude.

Having your publisher own the console and distribution platform your releasing on has it perks.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Jpyric posted:

I usually have a "Bloodtruck" parked nearby, those old beat up pickups are the best horde killers. :black101: After wrecking 3 hatchbacks on the big bastards I go around, though. Even the Bloodtruck must show them respect.

The old pickups suck for horde killing. One horde and they are smoking. The modern pickup go through endless hordes without smoking. I have never actually had a modern pickup smoke from killing hordes. The old pickup is like the station wagon in that one zombie to the front gives it white smoke, the next puts it on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Lotish posted:

How does that happen? :psyduck: The hordes got in your base? Did you not have outposts? Where were you? Wherever it was/whatever you did, I may have to do the same in another playthrough because that sounds like it was quite a climax.

There is a "random" event I got yesterday where I had "too many hordes"(I didn't see any around right before this), then it said they were attacking and it sent about 5 hordes at me. I was at the trucking place though and completely trashed them with my traps.

• Locked thread