Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tommofork posted:

SoD, Breakdown and Lifeline are all 66% off on Steam at the moment.

Just picked it all up woooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Haven't started Breakdown yet because it looks like at least one of my mods causes it to crash on startup :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The trick to getting up before a feral is to dodge towards it as soon your character hits the ground. Dodging after the dropkick cancels the get up animation and goes straight into a combat roll.

Is that an intentional feature? Because it's really cool if it is.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you're ever afraid of getting boned by the time, download Zombie Standard Time and control exactly how long you were gone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I downloaded a mod that allows for all the DLC weapons to appear in all three game modes. It has not stopped me from finding something like 4 or 5 Taurus Judges in about three days, almost all in the starting town. Did Taurus just have a marketing deal with the local store?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tai posted:

Does this work on a non steam version of state of decay?

There's a non-Steam version out?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

I could never hate Lily for this exact reason. Take a look at who she threatened in my game:

:allears:

I can't hate her because I picture her saying that in her voice and it's great.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

That is too funny to be annoyed at her for, it's like Stephen Hawking poo poo-talking Bas Rutten.

That needs to be a thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guns are coming out the yin-yang in the main game, to the point where I'm running out of room for weapons and only one of them (a .22 rifle) is worth getting rid of.

Unfortunately, my efforts to find interesting guns (especially with the mod that lets all DLC weapons spawn in all game modes) has been stymied by the appearance of about half a dozen Diplomats.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually found State of Decay's map pretty impressive. I didn't even notice at first that the map was larger than the starting town until I opened it up to look for an objective and found it all the way down south in Marshall. And literally almost every building (mostly except the super tiny ones like trailers) can be searched and has loot. Compare that to your average Fallout 3/New Vegas town, where a neighborhood could have a dozen buildings standing and only four aren't boarded up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skandranon posted:

I'm not too sure the best is in a building with all the stairs smashed... unless you have many years of food and water up there already. You do know that Max Brooks is mainly a comedy writer and much of the zombie survival guide was tongue-in-cheek? The best is not in a city at all but open country where one can move around.

Yeah, using the ZSG as an actual survival guide in any capacity is pretty shaky at the best of times. Smashed all the staircases? Congratulations, now have fun getting back up to your base if you need to recover anything or anyone. Or expanding your hideout to include more space. Or getting back up if your clumsy rear end falls over the edge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

A much better base would be an isolated structure with clear sightlines in every direction, an independent water source and anti-zombie/raider earthworks, barricades and traps. Screw hanging out in a city with millions of dead folks.

A moat would be great, especially one with spikes at the bottom; zombies will stupidly fall in and be relatively easy to dispose of while bandits trying to attack will need to bring a method of crossing or risk death.

Even better would be to put a very steep wall (too high to simply grab onto the top and climb up) immediately in front of the moat, so any attackers would need to first climb and then risk falling off into the spike pit or jumping and breaking their legs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NeoSeeker posted:

Ladders. Seriously read the post... and the book.

And while max brooks might be a comedy writer and the genre about as diverse as pop music is today... Applied to pretty much all situations, walkers, runners, voodoo zombies, the book holds up. In the end zombies are dumb as gently caress, squishy decaying walking corpses.

Seriously read the book. Moats don't work. Forever at least. a 5-ten meter ditch will only hold so much water/zombies. A crowded stairwell conversely holds only so much zombies in of itself. It's impossible for them to dogpile up because the entrance is blocked as soon at they gain any ground.

That's assuming zero disposal is done of the zombies/corpses. Easiest quick and dirty method is to simply light the pit on fire every so often, burning it hot enough to cremate the remains.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd at least like to see human-on-human fighting. I'm always annoyed that I can't just pop all the Wilkersons from the opposite side of their farm with a Barrett, or sneakily shoot them in the back of the head when the others aren't looking with a silenced .22 pistol.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skandranon posted:

The ziplines idea is neat... it just seems incredibly dangerous. Using those once a day is making it likely that eventually, you have a catastrophic accident. We never hear about the 1% of times Batman misses his grappling hook and breaks both his legs and shoulder...

That's because with Batman, there is no 1%. He never misses.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sober posted:

So once again Batman gets more people killed because he's too much of a broken person to just kill someone (or in this case, something)

It would never become a zombie apocalypse because Batman would have already made a cure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only LMG I've got right now is the RPK, and I basically just use that as a semi-auto rifle with a bigger magazine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pander posted:

Outside of the person in the sniper tower, your buddies only fire when you fire. It's not always ideal for zombie murdering.

http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/33/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

suboptimal posted:

I tried to install a bunch of mods linked to in this thread, and it appears to have broken my game a bit. Is there a way to manually remove mods, or should I uninstall the game and then reinstall it?

Wish there was some kind of mod manager that allowed you to choose what you want active or otherwise streamline the process.

Most of my mods don't even seem to work. Brant's Military Surplus definitely does, but ones like rebalancers and game tweaks do nothing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eh. I'm trying to beat the story mode right now. Brimstone mod has improved some of it and I've integrated all the Breakdown and Lifeline weapons, but I don't think a graphical update and small amount of added content is really encouraging me to buy a second copy. I'd really love if the game was more open for modding, at the very least replacing the generic "7.62mm" and ".45" and ".50" ammo with specific ones for the correct weapons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm having problems with vehicle inventories. When I try to put a rucksack in a vehicle, it just gives a little fwip noise and nothing happens. I can transfer inventory items fine, but not rucksacks. I've been restricted to using the lower, older pickup trucks to transport multiple rucksacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Danith posted:

Do mods work on the newest version? Have the original + DLC's but the updated graphics are tempting me to buy it next time it goes on sale

Modders have been messing around with it. Some of them still work, some don't. Not sure if there's any hard rules on what breaks or not.

• Locked thread