Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Alright, giving it a shot again. Two years now I've lost steam halfway, but this year will be different, oh you'll see!

Takin it easy this first month, though...

I, MONOLITHS, OATH AN OLD-SCHOOL GW SLAANESHI CHAMPION, SORCERER, AND FAMILIAR FOR THIS MONTH OF MAY

They'll be used as Slaaneshi HQs; herald with etherblade, herald with spells n' poo poo, and the Masque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:OAF COMPLETE:siren:

Slaanesh herald bros! Going for a tabletop kinda standard on these guys, didn't have a lot of time this month.

Here's the progression of Detektuv's Jurnal WIP shots, mostly showcasing the staggering array of poor lighting situations I paint in:

Blocking out the base colors. I primed black because I thought most of their attire would be dark or metallic, but that turned out to be a bad call on the little guy. Hooray for Ceramite White!

Then I got a bit excited and finished the little fella, but here's the other two in a post-wash state I think.

Picked out a few highlights and details. I also gave their black armor plates a gloss coat. I rather like the high sheen over black, it looks much better in person of course.

Stage one of the bases I glued some hacked up grey stuff and coarse foam onto them.

Stage two is to spread some PVA glue and dip them in my grey sand/gravel mix. It comes out a bit bright so I then wash it with black.

A little drybrush of white to the base for a frosty look and we're done! Again, didn't have much time to get my makeshift cardboard light box to provide an optimal result, but it'll do I think.

Up close on the little guy cuz I like him the best.

Quick rundown of my achieved points as I have it:
1 for the AP shot
1 for the bases
5 for the finished shots
1 for the username
2 for the Detektuv's Jurnal (WIP shots)
= 10 points total

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Dagon posted:

Oath Complete - Click for larger pictures

Oooooo what are these? Are they custom or can I throw my money away to fill out my ruined imperial city?

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:I, MONOLITHS, DO OATH THESE COUNTS-AS PLAGUEBEARERS KITBASHED MOSTLY FROM GW PARTS:siren:

Still have a bit more sculpting to do on their cloaks, but I want to make sure they're oathed in time.

They are conversions, here is the pile o' bits I used to make them:

They're also a themed group.

I'll probably also go for speed painting on one of them, but I'll post that stuff with the finished oath.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

I converted and puttied up some counts-as plaguebearers! The story goes: I already had 24 of them and then the new codex came out and I couldn't have three squads of eight anymore, so I needed to make six more to get three minimum squads. Also, musicians became actually useful so I made one for each squad.

Again, here is the pile of bits they congealed from. They are all GW except for the metal instruments which are from Reaper:

Here are the finished chappies. The musicians are the second, third, and sixth from left, armed with a washboard, bells, and a mandolin respectively:

A closeup of the Detektuv's Jurnal element, a mangled, oozing crater where his arm used to be:

Here they are with their buddies, 30 plaguebearers in all with a herald in front to keep them company. All ready to deepstrike onto objectives and absorb lasers all day!

The rundown of the points as I have it:
AP = 1
Completed = 5
Username = 1
Base = 1
Detektuv = 2
Total = 10 points

I'm also claiming these as conversions and a themed group.

I sorta chipped away at these, so I didn't have enough of a solid chunk of time to try speed painting after all.

Lemme know if you want any more close shots.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:I OATH THESE 12 'ARD BOYZ, CONVERTED FROM GW ORKS AND SOME SPECIAL KROMLECH BITZ:siren:

There's a fair amount of conversioning going on in there (as will be more apparent when they're done), but to be sure I'm honoring the detektiv's jurnal appropriately, here's a textbook job:

I'd also like to claim conversions and themed group on these suckas.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:catdrugs:OAF COMPLEAT:catdrugs:

Almost bit off more than I could chew this month, poo poo's getting busy around here, though I did find time to finish these 'ard boyz.

They're sort of a speed test run for the 100+ other kinds of boyz I have in a bin in my closet. The lesson learned is that these guys took waaaay too long for the result, I'll probably simplify it for the regular fellas. These guys have numerous conversions and some tasty Kromlech bodies and legs to help them justify that extra armor save.

I'm going really grimy and grimdark on these, I want the feel of the army to be more brutal and sinister and less goofy than the usual ork thing. I wanted a really dark, muted palette with spots of high contrast and I think this works pretty well. The most heartbreaking part is painting these really nice vibrant yellows and then weathering the poo poo out of them.

Gotta get this photography thing figured out. It always just gets to the end of the month and I'm all "ffffff" and take some quick, crap shots.

Anyways, here's the first half of the squad with the powerklaw nob in front:

The second half:

Here's a closeup on the Detektuv's Jurnal element, a cut n' swapped chainsaw arm.

I also claim these to be conversions and a themed group.

I have me down for AP + completed + username + base + detektuv = 10 points.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

I'M OATHING THIS HERE ORK BATTLEWAGON WHICH IS MADE BY GW FOR THE GAME OF WARHAMMERS 40KAY

The spots on the front are impromptu chips I added after priming, not actual paint.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Zhent posted:

Ravenwing Army Complete

Ffffffffffffffff I fuckin love full bike armies, these are totally rad. Where did those attack bike bases come from? It kills me they don't come with a base, but yours really tie them in nicely.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Okay, :siren:OATH IS COMPLETED:siren:.

The battlewagon "Naghamma":

Ork vehicles must have lots of dakka!

As for the jurnal ingredient... well... it's pretty much the whole thing. Here's a closeup of the ram, for instance:

I believe that is AP/completed/username/jurnal/base = 10 points, if I am remembering correctly that vehicles get the base points for free.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Gonna done oath this count-as Draigo grey knight chappie, converted from almost entirely GW bits.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Kickin off this 40K VOTE.

Slimnoid, that librarian is very tasty indeed.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 8, 2013

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Ho snap, so I'm working on a converted Draigo model and there is just so much detail I'm having trouble conceiving of where I'm going to put some freehand without making him look like a walking supreme pizza. Soooooooo, gonna make an...

:siren:OATH ADDITION:siren:

...of these objective markers! For those keeping score, that's a mysterious dias, jenga of choppas, relic thingy I found in my bits box, cherished ork glyph, dagger & book, and imperial crate. They are mostly from bits made by GW, and are on square fantasy bases because I have a ton of them sitting around.

I'll be going for I Rolled A 6!...Or A 20...Or Maybe An 01, of course. There should be plenty of room for some freehand, as well as the various weathering I'm going to go for, meaning I'll also try for Double The Fun! if it's possible to go for multiple bonuses on the same markers.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:catdrugs:OATH IS COMPLETE:catdrugs:

Here's a counts-as Draigo for my Grey Knights. He's finecast, which prompted the conversion since the casting job on his sword arm was horribly hosed up (didn't see it in the blister despite an inspection). Several other small flaws made me decide to just ding him up a bit and make a few dents in his armor. I had the halberd part spare from some deathwing knights I'm making up, so I thought it would make a nice different look for him since he has a special sword in the rules anyway. I'm sure some of you will recognize the helmet part. Hopefully the smoldering skeleton on the base works, that was a bit of an experiment. The steel wool smoke can go away if I decide I don't like it.

Here are the 40k objectives I added, on square bases to pick them out and because I have tons sitting around. Clockwise from top left: mysterious bloody lump on pedestal, mysterious glyph & ork skull, mysterious relic thingy (seriously I don't even know where it came from), jenga pile of choppas, mysterious book & dagger, and a very un-mysterious imperial crate of blandness. The front three represent the jurnal element, having some little freehand bits on them. I went to extra lengths to weather these up so I'm claiming double the fun! because of the theme last month! Also, since they are objective markers, I'm claiming up I Rolled A 6!...Or A 20...Or Maybe An 01. If that's all legit, of course.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 29, 2013

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Monthly prizes:

Note that after rolling for Babe Magnet for the Games n' Gears prize, I accidentally rerolled it again (because I looked at index 48 instead of index 68, saw it was Monoliths (who is ineligible to re-win this prize), and rerolled it. On double-checking the results, though, I see it's 68 which is Babe Magnet.

poo poo, did I win something and totally space on it? I was pretty sure I haven't won anything yet. Babe Magnet can totally take it, of course, I just thought I was better at reading bolded text than that.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

YEAH SO I TOTALLY OATH THIS FIEND AND DAEMONETTE WITH BANNER, THEY ARE BY GW FOR THE 28MM GAME OF FORTYKAY.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Linked for a booby, I guess. Apologies for the lovely phone pic, I'm moving house right now and haven't had much time or sanity lately.

http://i.imgur.com/5Q6Fp4X.jpg

Of course there is a good amount of pink involved, plus I'd like to claim Fly Your Flag on the icon bearer. It's kinda riffing on a design I tried to paint when I was 12 or something and ended up looking pretty blobby. This is a new attempt, trying to portray captured souls swirling across the surface of the banner.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Monoliths (what you'd like from the grab bag)

Woo! Some good stuff in there. Sent an email.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:catdrugs:OATHIN UP THESE SEEKERS OF SLAANESH, 28MM BY GW:catdrugs:

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

OATH COMPLETE

lovely phone pics, I'll see if I can get some better ones with my new (!) lightbox in the next few days.

Some seekers of slaanesh, kitbashed with the hellstriders kit and hacked around enough that I'd call these conversions. Also claiming themed group. Despite the last-minute completion, that isn't wet paint you see, it's a high gloss varnish. I wanted their armor to have a shiny, beetle-like quality to it.

And the jurnal ingredient, a very silly haircut on this chappie:

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 1, 2013

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Manifest posted:

:frogsiren:CONGRATULATIONS ANDROID AND MONOLITHS, YOU HAVE WON THE 1ST AND 2ND QUARTER CONVERSION PRIZES (respectively.):frogsiren:

Aw gently caress! Awesome, thanks! I sent you a PM with my address.

Leperflesh posted:

While your Jurnal is credited, I need a "before" photo in order to credit you for a conversion. You can show what the normal model looks like from any reasonable source, such as a link to the vendor's photos or whatever, just need something I can compare to to tell your guys have been altered.

Well seven shits, I forgot all about this. The squad is a combination of these two kits:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod860022a
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440110a&prodId=prod1710144a

I did some work to try and blend the slightly different armor styles together, the most significant was adding the fella boots to a lady daemonette while keeping her toes poking out, in addition to repositioning the legs and giving her a shield while I was at it:

This guy is intended to be a herald, he has a glowy spear made from some spare arms like his right one and a banner, greenstuffed a little bit (around the pink/green transition) to help the seam out:

This daemonette had her legs repositioned at the knee, they're all usually hanging down pretty straight but I wanted some variety. She's the squad leader so I also gave her a glowy dagger from a dark elf:

Not incredibly crazy stuff, but it did add an hour or so to assembly so I thought I'd count it.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 9, 2013

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks! Yep, they were mostly basecoat > wash > couple of highlights > drybrush a little white, then I hit them all with Vallejo fluorescent green. It's goopy in a weird way that makes me think of soy milk that has been slowed down in time, but it's pretty drat bright. I put it much more heavily on the dagger and spear to indicate their being scary AP2 weapons.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

40k vote shoutout for JerryLee, that fella is metal as gently caress and the helm/crest looks great.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress it, might as well try out this NMM thing. Never done it before, so therefore :siren:I HEREBY OATH THIS EXTREMELY BORING GAMES WORKSHOP SPACE MARINE:siren: as a test subject. May the Emperor show mercy for his chromed-out soul.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:OATH COMPLETED:siren:

Super quick with a big ol brush, probably should've taken a shot for speed painting. NMM isn't something I usually desire cuz I love metallics so hard, but I figured I'd give it a test go anyway. Definitely learned a few things:

- I'm not immediately very good at it.

- The high contrast look isn't really working, the tones should be much closer together. I like how the knee pad turned out best.

- A black wash at the onset may not have been a great idea, way too dark in the recesses.

- NMM takes frickin ages to achieve even iffy results. Probably not going to go for it in any large capacity in the future, but could definitely see throwing on some arcane wargear or something.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Germ posted:

I like this quite a bit. I'm guessing it looks really sharp at 3 feet away (tabletop distance). Up close the layers really stand out, but I'm guessing that given a bit of distance, it blends together and looks aces. The only difference I see between this and the top-tier NMM stuff is blending. You really nailed it. Great job!

Glad you like him! Yeah I think it'd smooth out more from a tabletop view, especially on a bunch of guys, but for the time spent I'd probably prefer freehanding all over them, or maybe headbutting a wall repeatedly.

That little guy felt a bit like a cop-out this month, but I also just finished a 4.5k daemon army for an apocalypse game yesterday (I won!). I had a ton of other stuff getting painted up for that, but I didn't oath it cuz I had no idea if I'd get any of it done in time (I did!).

IrvingWashington posted:

Oath Complete!

Now that's what I was going for! Really tasty, I want it on a metal album cover. It makes me so happy to see a chaos android painted up all nice like that (with all due credit to the 'eavy metal scheme, of course).

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

One more reroll: Monoliths!

Cool! PM sent to Krushgroove.

Also, my 40k vote goes to WhiteOutMouse, cuz that's how you make a frickin flyer base.

Furthermore, :siren:I OATH THIS SHOKK ATTACK GUN, HERDER, 3 ZZAP GUNS, AND 7 AMMO GROTS/CREW.:siren:

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

OK - noted for you two, I'll ask the rest of the folks waiting what they'd prefer. It seems that the numbers of participants is really levelling off recently, as evidenced by the number of re-rolls Leperflesh had to do for November's completed oaths. So it's likely that there will be many people getting multiple prizes from here on out.

Yeah it's cool with me to receive stuff at the end of the season. It's like a holiday then. Also, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to sending out some dollars for postage for any loot multitudes I manage to acquire. Already totally worth it.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

OATH IS COMPLETE

poo poo, gotta post these dudes before the deadline. Orks are so great to paint, the shokk attack gun is the most fun I've had in ages with a model. I added a little bit of eerie glow to the end of it, as well as to the coils and bits of the zzap guns, for my jurnal ingredient:

Also, they're a themed group.

Edit: added a closeup of my favorites, hopefully a little clearer for the judges. I'll have time to set up my light box one day, I swear!

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 31, 2014

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

I'd prefer that folks aren't re-submitting photos after the deadline, it can open up a big can of worms when the points get close. (I also really don't want to have to check the edit date of every completed oath!)

Fair enough, I don't know quite how you guys are keeping track of this stuff but I certainly don't want to make life harder. I just edited my original post with a slightly better shot, hope that's fine. Here's a link back to the post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&pagenumber=106&perpage=40#post425135863

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:FUCKIN OATHIN THESE 5 LOOTAS AND 1 SPACE MARINE BY GW.:siren: The marine is my detektuv ingredient, you'll see, it's hard to explain.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:catdrugs:OATH COMPLETE:catdrugs:

Alright, well behold the lovely photography of my still-not-moved-in squalor! Been doin 60-hour work weeks this month, also. Hrrrrfrfrfrfffrffrff.

It's some kit-bashed lootaz! They're totally a themed group. I have more of the standard pose guys, but I wanted to throw in some variety with the old school obliterator arms and stuff I found in my bitz box(es). I'll probably do 10 or so more later.

My jurnal submission: the noble Brother Pabby, wielding the mighty Beerhammer!

Squad coherency, fuckers! Heineken? gently caress THAT poo poo.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:siren:GONNA OATH UP THESE ORK PLANES AND THEYS CREW.:siren: 28mm, GW.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Definitely into helping out next year, at least monetarily. I'll give a thought what else I can manage and let you know.

Also:

:catdrugs:OATH ADDITION:catdrugs:

I realized I didn't include a jurnal entry, so here's a weirdboy conversion and an image explaining the different parts:

Additional lo-fi WIP shot of the planes!

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Monoliths posted:

:catdrugs:OATH ADDITION:catdrugs:

Just makin sure I got approval on this, I scanned the last few pages and didn't find it. I'm just about to prime him and I'll probably go for speed painting tomorrow.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Speed painting shenanigans! Here's my attempt: a weirdboy showing some not-so-subtle signs of mutation. The scheme is a love letter to sepia wash. :allears:

I'll do his base, as well as get some better shots, when I finish up the planes.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

I am also still looking for judges! If anyone thinks they're up to the task, please let me know. It's not easy and you'd have to be a fair person as well as a skilled painter, but it can be rewarding for sure!

If you are in need I wouldn't mind taking this on. I check the forums pretty much daily anyway, have a BA and have worked in stop-motion for almost a decade, and I think I'm a pretty good hobbyist as well. If you like I can send you some of my miniature greatest hits for judge judgement?

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Sure, got links?

I pretty much only post here... here's some quickies I can find from past oaths. My lighting experiments were cut a bit short by a house move, hence the wildly varying quality, but actually this weekend I will try out my new light tent! :woop:

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Cool, no worries. I'd be plenty happy getting stuck in and making oaths if you decide otherwise, but thought I'd offer since I've been around for a while and felt like giving back a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Don't worry about that, you're in!

Please welcome one of our judges for the next oath thread (season 5!), everyone!

Drop me an email at krushgroove169 @gmail.com and I'll send over the links and such when they're ready.

:rock: Thanks! Glad to be on board. It's been mighty fun oathing along with y'all, I look forward to poring over your triumphant works in the year to come!

poo poo, I should get in gear for the last oathing month of this year then... I have a dilemma... stompa or knight???

• Locked thread