Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i am a terrible programmer but i still get paid to code so idk i guess ill keep doing this until someone discoves i am a massive fraud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Nehacoo posted:

i am right now leraning javascript.

comments and opinions?

Use // or /* */

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

write a function in javascript which redefines itself once its run

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

im a bad programmer

idk what ill do when my secret is out

maybe work retail

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

rotor posted:

the big deal for me is that you run it on your own machines. I know its a thing people do all the time now, but the idea that you store your source code repo on someone elses machines is like super weird and hosed up to me.

imo your build needs to be self-contained. Like if the rest of the world is annihilated in some sort of biblical event but you still have power, then you should be able to build successfully.

my twitter bot which retweets people who say "for all intense and purposes" will go down a treat in a post apocalypse society

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Space Whale posted:

maybe it's a string, maybe it's "N/A"

wait no the database is hte monads?

checking if a field is null and returning the value or a default isnt a monad

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

monads are workflows that can be chained or nested together and do processing of some item

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

very carefully, op

your avatar sums up my past experiences with svn merges

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

we use mercurial here which seems easier but that could also just be coupled with me being better at that now and not having the learning curve that i had to go through with svn

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

there was a place i worked at which used vault which would get an exclusive lock on a file when someone was editing it which was p good for a team of seven people

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i reject the company of others to solve all these problems

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

ok so we have a junior dev on our team and its the first time ive worked with a fresh out of uni/college person

based on their code i have advice:

always remember to check the code youve written against what youre trying to achieve

if youve written a poo poo load of hackaround code to try and get something simple to do a thing then you have probably tackled the solution wrong

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

KARMA! posted:

thanks, this really helps

are you our junior dev

because if you are you should read it thx

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Valeyard posted:

so I already signed a contract for a grad job on the (standard) condition I get atleast a 2.1

now I am panicking about whether I will be able to do this or not

how iron clad is that?

im thinking about applying somewhere else with a lower req and having it as a backup, but dont really know what would go down if I ended up fufilly choice 1

this is how i got my first job and i started working before my results came out and i got my results and got 2:1 and after that no one cared because i had already been working in the industry

if you didnt arrange a start date a month or two before results are out then lol

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Valeyard posted:

there wasnt really much wiggle room to negioate, or thats what i thought anyway. I interned with them during the summer so ive already worked for them for 3 months, yet they are still adament that anything less than a 2.1 means they dont want me back even if they likedf me

lol owned

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

he worked on the game engine continuously from 1993 to 1999

i bet i could deliver a pretty cool game written entirely in assembly if you gave me six years without distraction

also he went around the world riding rollercoasters so he could work out how to extrapolate the fun/excite/intesity ratings

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i totally double cucked them because they bought me 'reddit gold' which is like this super passive aggressive thing people do on reddit and i was like 'hey save they money to pay your developers more' and then they deleted thier account

lol

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

its poo poo and you dont

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

fart simpson posted:

what is reddit gold & why would you want it?

here is a good summation http://www.reddit.com/r/circlebroke/comments/16mw1z/a_look_inside_reddits_superexclusive_rlounge/

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

oh check it out its capt wrong back from his patrol of the bad opinion sector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

• Locked thread