Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just want to say on the front page, New World Colony is the best board/strategy game on the iPad. Also, Solforge is still sucking me in still, they need to hurry up and release more content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KarmaticStylee posted:

not IAP related

MTG is always IAP related. Real life, or iOS. You better bet that multiplayer sealed will require iap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KarmaticStylee posted:

I have no problem buying the game and $0.99 unlocking the decks I like the most. It's actually cheap, all things considered. I just meant that I hope the Sealed mode itself is not tied to IAP. I actually assume it won't be as you play a computer.

It says AI and other players. If you're familiar with MTGO or Hearthstone, they both have draft modes that you pay for via unopened booster packs, which I could see WotC following with this iteration of MtG Planeswalker.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It is, but this year they're adding a sealed draft mode with ai and pvp.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

vtlock posted:

Planeswalker has always been a sales pitch for the paper product, so I would be surprised if there were persistent IAP angle to it.

As I said, to me this looks like their way of bridging into a more fleshed out product similar to MTGO, especially since a big hitter like Blizzard is getting into the iOS TCG space with an identical element of for-pay booster drafting. You generally win boosters that you can use to enter the next draft though, so that takes some of the burn off. Of course, I'd love to have a draft mode that doesn't require repeated paid entry, but knowing WotC that's exactly what the pvp mode will be.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ace Patrol from Sid Meier is out and it's fantastic!

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Sid-Meier-Ace-Patrol-Takes-Skies-iOS-Today-55504.html

Free game, with IAP to unlock all countries, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It definitely is. As others pointed out in the iOS gaming thread, this would be a perfect engine for the X-Wing miniatures board game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's a deck building boardgame. Kind of on its own there as far as I know.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, it's got the deck building of a traditional TCG, but it's a boardgame more than anything else. I think it's a great game that's vastly underrated.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah can someone clarify how the iap for sealed works in dotp? I want it but not if its like that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's really backwards and stupid, especially considering all of their success and popularity came from the iOS port. :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, I meant the part about releasing on PC and Android first.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I understand, I'm just not happy about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MTG 2014 or the new Ascension expansion? gently caress this is a difficult choice. How good is the sealed mode? Money difference doesn't matter, I just know whichever I get will take up all my game time for a while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

They do have the rights to Catan, but not exclusive.

Instead, they are making an MMO Catan game.

The gently caress? That sounds awful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Roshambo posted:

I'm wondering how Risk is on the iPhone. I almost bought it, but all the negative reviews on the App Store turned me off to it. Have there been any patches to it to fix the cheating AI? Are the reviewers overreacting?

Don't buy RIsk. Buy Strategery. It"s superior in every way imaginable.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strategery/id298908505?mt=8

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If I haven't played Carcossone but once or twice, is it worth starting with the base game or just grabbing all of the expansions and playing like that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes to which? I was asking if I should start with just the base game or the base AND expansions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Alternatively, put them on your wishlist in the App store and just check it every so often.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

More people need to play New World Colony. Fantastic game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

New world colony which was recommended earlier in the thread dropped to 99 cents today.

Everyone buy this, it's probably my favorite game on the iPad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puerto Rico is also on sale. Which one should I get? Are either of them simple enough to teach my girlfriend that enjoys Catan but nothing much more complicated than that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah it's not about the price, more about the space/time. I'll check out Puerto Rico first I guess, if nothing else I'll play it vs ai.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Puerto Rico is amazing and I'm really glad I decided to try it. Big recommendation from me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is Le Harve easier to learn than Puerto Rico? They seem really similar, but Puerto Rico is way too complicated to get my SO interested.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So they finally updated it and fixed it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Agricola is on sale for $3.99. One of the better designed iOS board games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

As someone that started with the app, I can't imagine the paper game. Seems like it would be a loving nightmare to keep track of stuff and scoring.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Agricola is actually pretty simple to play, just kinda hard to figure out how to do well. It helps if you spend sometime learning what different things cost so you can make a basic strategy of what you want to spend your turns collecting. Start really small, and every game try to add something new to your farm without giving up what you were building towards before. It's kind of like Dominion in that you can figure out combos, for lack if a better term, and different strategies to win different ways.

For the first couple of games, try to focus on getting a bigger family 4-5 members, and feeding them all.

Then start with fields and veggies.

Then add animals, fences, and stables.

It's a really fun "Sim-farm" mechanic hidden inside a really clever worker placement game.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 15, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, even two years later I can still play and enjoy the hell out of any expansion or the base set of Ascension. All time top iOS game for me, with Carc in 2nd. Agricola has been inching up there now that I'm getting more comfortable with it. I want to try the expansion decks but I don't really understand what they change about the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Which Carcassonne expansions should I get? Can anyone give a simple rundown of what they add, fun-wise?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Should I get Star Realms or the newest Ascension expansion? I skipped coffee today, so I'm ballin' with this extra pocket money :smug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Galaxy of Trian, aka Carcassonne in space (with mining colonies, ship combat, and a lot more) reached it's final stretch goal on kick starter and will be getting an iPad app as well! It has some really cool improvements over Carc, like tile drafting, Multi-sided tiles, and a lot more. Early reviews are really promising, and a lot of players said it has completely replaced the former for them. Can't wait.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1118278224/galaxy-of-trian

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's awesome news, and a great price. I thought it was months away.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Stockfish is the Chess app I use. Free, challenging, themes, ai and 2 player mode, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How good is the new Ascension set? Also, do you guys play with 60 or 120 stars?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

shaitan posted:

I play with 240

Double quote??

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

shaitan posted:

I play with 240

Is thatan option with the new set or something? I always play with 120 with the older sets because they let you get your decks going better and that's more fun for everyone, whereas 60 star games often feel like they end just as you get rolling.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seems really cool, but I'm hesitant to have a board game that might not work in 3-4 years if the app isn't updated. I really wish the app was an optional companion and not a requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

FFG isn't going anywhere in the next 5 years.

If the game is popular enough, hobbyists will reverse engineer the app into cards or dice.

All that said, you'd lose interest in playing the game long before the app becomes outdated.

If you're still not convinced, you can figure they probably have a flash website in their pocket and even if they don't I'm sure some devoted fan will.

The argument that this game is going to become unplayable in a few years is the dumb.

You say all those things, but I have quite a few games and apps I've bought on iOS in the past two to three years that simply do not work on my iPhone 6 + or even my old iPad running iOS8. Like, they don't even launch, or some do and the have huge bugs like the touch screen registers inches off because of a new device size and resolution. Obviously you are not familiar with the App Store's shortcomings and the way a lot of great apps and developers let things just slide into oblivion. I'm not talking indie guys either, but major developers and companies. Hell, just this week Square said they were never going to update a $16 game to work on iOS 8 (it's been broken since last summer) and only agreed to after huge pressure. It happens all the time, so no, I don't feel comfortable shelling out that kind of cash for a board game that relies on a digital app to play.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 7, 2015

• Locked thread