Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

AndyElusive posted:

Why the hell are you not jumping into practice mode and testing this right away? :colbert:

The timing's kind of hard but it looks like the reflected projectile goes through the warp during the active frames. Might be the only projectile that is unaffected by it.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm almost certain I'm hitting her mid-warp and it's not working.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Nique posted:

So I assume most of the goon lobbies are in the US, is it going to be playable/enjoyable or just a pain in the rear end for everyone if I join? (Me being a euro)

Depends, are you on 360 or PS3? The latter can't connect across the Atlantic due to region locking apparently, but the former would just depend on what ping you get.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

CaptainStag posted:

I really wish they would put some sort of button confirm on Cyborg's grapple hook or even make it something silly like standard d,b and two button inputs so it can be differentiated his other d,b specials. I'd like to be one of the eight people that actually play him but I keep hitting grapple mid-combo so much I just don't see it working out.

I don't have any problems hitting Grapple on accident on pad, but I guess it might be easier to accidentally input on stick. If anything, it was tough getting Grapple to come out at all until I found out exactly how to hit my buttons to get a dependable diagonal that it'll actually decide is part of the input and not just me deciding to jump back.

My bigger issue is getting consistent instant air Nova Blasts. :smith:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Cyborg requires execution to be at the top there but once you get that execution down he should be a ridiculous powerhouse, especially if you actually pull off the block infinite because all it requires is consistent input of low IANBs.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 13, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Don't Sinestro shackles scale the poo poo out of combos too, or is it not all that bad?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Pretty sure Raven's reflect only works on high projectiles, and it's already hard enough to suck up all the shots on Quick Fire. It probably wouldn't last long enough to eat Machine Gun even if it did work against it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Also the two remaining characters have been pulled from the Season Pass data so we already know who they are anyways.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

AndyElusive posted:

Flash is acrobat not gadget.

The only difference between gadget characters is if they can plant bombs or not so who cares? They still interact with everything the same otherwise.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

AndyElusive posted:

Uh because not only do they not interact with objects exactly the same as gadgets they also have different attacks and attack ranges when it comes to certain ones. Specifically on Atlantis, the stage being discussed?

The only difference on Atlantis is if you can plant a bomb on the stone slab when you jump off it. For other cases, this is still whether or not you can place a bomb. I've never accidentally done the wrong thing because I don't like any of the non-bomb planting gadget characters anyhow. :shobon:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

AndyElusive posted:

My mistake. Turns out we're both wrong. I thought acrobats leapt off the stone slab and snow globe with jump kicks but I see now how they just use it for spacing. Same deal with gadget characters. Neither classes blow up anything there and both go for the valve instead of punching the glass.

Hold down when interacting with the stone slab and probably the globe too with bomb equipped characters. Most of them hold red dynamite that you can see them holding during their jump animation, though Nightwing and probably others have different colored bombs. If you don't hold down you won't plant a bomb and blow up the jumpable object. I know for a fact that the slab can be bombed.

When using objects that have no bomb interaction like the laser in Watchtower, all gadget characters will behave identically. It's only when a bomb is involved that they branch off, and for jump-off objects like the Atlantis slab bomb-carrying gadget characters can opt not to plant bombs.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 16, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Kilometers Davis posted:

I found this gem on tumblr

So has this person just never seen preorder DLC ever, because I can't think of a single case where preorder DLC hasn't been offered for purchase later on.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Sonic Generations DLC is purchasable, took a while to come out. Don't know about Lollipop Chainsaw but I doubt it. There's really no good reason not to release preorder DLC later on to people who will pay for it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah, Static. A guy whose power is flying on a trash can lid and also sometimes a little bit of electricity.

But he flies on a trash can in a really cool way. :colbert:

I'd rather see Zatanna because she could literally be anything and that's cool, though I get the feeling I won't like her mechanically. Oh well.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Interstellar Owl posted:

Oh, I thought it had something to do with the thing that burns meter to bounce cancel, but the "XX" is something else. It's all about input timing, thanks!

Nah, you're thinking of 'bounce cancelling'. The notation for that would be something like DF-MB or DB-MB. Also, you can totally bounce cancel with DF/DB instead of that weird dash, wait, meterburn notation that's written in the game and it made bounce cancelling a thing I could actually do now.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I think he's talking about Flash's Lightning Charge, but I don't know the frame data on that. I assume if it doesn't work online then the problem is lag.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

AndyElusive posted:

Ok. At this point the only players I can't see getting hate mail has got to be people who play The Flash.

WAY TO JUST SPAM PSYCHO CRUSHER IDIOT. GO LIGHTNING RUSH INTO A TRASHCAN.

Or just generic poo poo that anyone would get for winning against a sore loser.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
If Zatanna doesn't have a goofy magician's hat I want my vote back. :mad:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
The whole cool thing about Zatanna is that she's a goofy rear end stage magician, except she's also a superhero. Having boring clothes and not playing up her shtick at all just seems really lame. Sure, her outfit could do with some modifications, but that Zatanna looks more like someone really didn't want to make a new character entirely so they just plastered an old name on it.

I don't know poo poo about comics, but Zatanna is a cool crazy stage magician in my mind and that's totally what I voted for.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
RIP Cyborg. I hope he can stand on his own merits because I actually liked him in general and it's not like I was doing IANBs much anyways.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Does anyone know what the space for cancelling strings into Cyborg's grapple is? There's a couple strings that it feels like it'd be fun to throw at the end of to catch people by surprise and jetting myself back in the middle of a string or after a quick 2 or 3 seems like it'd be fun, but some stuff like 113 seems to be pretty hard to get it to work on.

It actually seems to come out more if I do down, back, upback instead of just down, upback. Still can't roll from down to upback to get it to come out, but it's odd that it's more reliable if I input it the wrong way.

A far less useful thing I found goofing around in practice is that if you hit Batgirl with a crossup into a high, her cape clips straight through her stomach. :v:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Spaceman Bill posted:

Is the transforming dpad for 360 worth it? Cause I played on my friend's ps3 and it was like a whole new world.

Unless it completely changes the 360's dpad from the base up I don't think it'd do anything. The 360 dpad is a pile of garbage and nothing can change that.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

As Sinestro, what can I do against a Deathstroke hounding me relentlessly with pistols? All of my long range moves seem too slow to interrupt him - at best we both each damage, at worst any move I try I'm knocked out of by pistol fire - and if I try to jump in I eat a blade spin to the face.

I know there must be a way to counter him, but this is the first fighting game I've ever tried to play more than just single player and the odd bout of couch multiplayer so I'm finding the learning curve a little rough.

Duck under high shots and shoot him during his recovery, or block low shots and then shoot him during his recovery.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Now I admit I've never made a fighting game, but I can't imagine animating an 8 second win pose (particularly one that doesn't interact with any other character) is a lot of work compared to balancing moves, tweaking frame data, etc. But what do I know? (nothing)

Entirely different people would be focused on that balancing work than those that would be animating a winpose so that's a terrible comparison anyways. Depending on the winpose, they also need to make new assets like in Doomsday's, even if that is a small map that can either be rapidly loaded or is located far away offscreen on every stage.

Animation work is also pretty long in general! Stuff that can reuse animations already made or use very little animation like Batman's win pose is ideal to make the process shorter, but I don't know how much of the former is actually done.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
It could also be a dumb thing to spend time and money on when you need to spend that animation effort on the remaining DLC characters that aren't finished yet and possibly the rumored second season pass's 4 DLC characters too. Wasting money on pointless stuff is a pretty bad way to make a profit.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Na, it was a Green Lantern doing his low into overhead move a lot. So I kept blocking low then high and then beating him up.

No, that's called punishing and is an extremely important thing to do. The guy was mad because he was losing in a videogame using a tactic that probably mauls most people he plays against, but when it doesn't work he has no idea what to do and just starts frothing at the mouth.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Seymour Butts posted:

Am I wrong for thinking that Aquaman's trait only affects that 1 hit? So, could you just do crouching jab (which would be blocked) and then start the mix-up with b2u3, or b12 immediately after?

Aquaman's trait is weight that helps him fall out of combos for a set amount of time. I assume you meant someone else?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Awesome Andy posted:

I wish there was a way to get rid of the life bars and stuff like in these demo videos.

It's an option in Training Mode.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Also, despite saying they'll match without the ad on their site the management is stupid and disorganized so you should probably make sure you bring the ad with you to show them if you try getting it from Walmart.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
PS3 update ran for me no problem. Hopefully Scorpion's fun because I haven't really cared about either of the DLC characters so far.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
For those interested, Scorpion's a non-bomb dropping Gadget user for interactions, so have fun with your dive kicks~

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

poptart_fairy posted:

That'd be the first fuckin' thing anyone would do if they had his powers, admit it.

Punch through walls and trees and poo poo? Yeah, probably.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
I spent days going through STAR Labs and I'm so close to 3 starring everything that I figure I may as well just finish it, but I wouldn't wish that torture on anyone else. Stop while you're ahead.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

S.J. posted:

gently caress me. I don't know if I'm just poo poo at this game or what, but at no point when I'm playing online do I feel like I'm actually in control of my character. Everyone I've played against seems like they're playing a half a second before I am and I'm just kind of watching awful things happen while my inputs happen some of the time.

If it happens against everyone you play against, this might be a problem with your connection. If your connection is generally poor, wireless, or what have you, you'll probably have problems in every case. If you don't experience the same problem offline, it's definitely the issue.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

S.J. posted:

I've never really had this kind of lag with any other game I've played online. All the matches I was playing today were with full or nearly full bars so I dunno.

Unless you mean other fighting games, those games aren't nearly as finicky as fighting games and have plenty of ways to get around lag and bad connections while keeping a fairly good baseline for online play. Short of GGPO games that explicitly work to eliminate the effects of lag, fighting game netcodes aren't all that great in general.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait... what :stare:

There's pitch shifting in the voice options on PS3s.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

WarEternal posted:

Every single 2D fighting game is like this, where characters will have things switch from left to right depending on which side of the screen they're on.

Yeah, but it also looks really dumb with stuff like Vega's claw in SF4.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

S.J. posted:

So what's a cross up, exactly? I feel like I might understand but some terminology is still just flying over my head :v:

You have to hold back to block attacks in most 2D fighters (in Injustice crouch blocking is a special case), but if you're holding left while you're on the left side and suddenly your opponent jumps just far enough over your head to swap you to the right side, you need to hold right to block the attack or you'll get hit. These become ambiguous when the attack lands so close to the swapping point that it's difficult to tell which way you need to block it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

gannyGrabber posted:

Man, if the frigging gamecube could run 16 man team battle on SCII, I'm sure the Ps3 can handle 8-man Injustice. Hell, even if they had to turn off the background/costume damage and stuff to do it, they definitely could. I feel it in my heart.

One of these games was developed with that in mind and the other was designed as a 1v1 fighter and used most of the resources they have with the consoles at hand. If you want an even better example of memory restrictions that don't seem reasonable without any knowledge of how things work, Skullgirls, a 2D fighter, can barely hold taunt animations and absolutely cannot hold multiple winposes at once outside of the two active fighters. Consoles don't have nearly the memory you think they do.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm really tired of seeing Scorpions online. I try my best to play patiently as Black Adam and punish the teleports, but I always get caught by some bullshit j.3 or I go for a footdive and lose 30% of my health or it turns out I didn't hold my left stick down at a perfect 90-degree angle so I don't even block the teleport anyways.

Next time I see a Scorpion I'm just going to pick Doomsday, see how the teleport holds up against a whole bunch of armor.

Analog sticks on controllers are loving garbage because diagonals take up nearly all of the room on them, which is fine in games that accept every single possible direction but absolutely impossible to deal with in fighting games, especially ones that care a lot about the directions you press. Use your d-pad (or if you're using a 360 controller, cry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Hmmm D2-B23 does the exact same amount of damage as if I just used B23. That's a bit silly considering it has an extra hit.

Scaling. It's possible D2s scale kinda badly too but I'm not sure about that. Just because combos have extra hits doesn't mean they're automatically stronger.

• Locked thread