Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
5d3 repazent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HookShot posted:

I'm thinking of buying my mom a DSLR for her birthday later this year. She's going to go to the Galapagos Islands in a couple years, and I figure if I get her the gear now she'll have the time to be able to learn to use it before going. She recently (like as in this past year) learned how to use a digital camera for the first time after years of using film. Her current "method" is to take one picture of whatever she takes a picture of (landscapes or her garden) with every single one of the settings on her P&S, and then keep whatever one looks the best.

The annoying thing about her P&S is it sucks balls and is too hard to actually use in manual mode, which is the other reason I want to get her a new one.

I'm just not sure if I should get her the 60D or the 7D. I have a 30D myself, which I love, but I know when I shoot wildlife sometimes I want faster FPS, the autofocus and even better ISO use although I doubt that'll be too necessary in the Galapagos... but I just don't know if it's too much and the 60D would be fine for someone like her.

I also really doubt she would take much, if any, video with it.

Thoughts?

Give her the 30D and get yourself the 7D :q:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Dropped a t3i with the 50mm 1.4 attached and now it wont focus closer than 1.5M! The camera itself is fine, but the lens has the same problem in auto and manual modes. Anything worth trying on the home repair front before I send it in?

It was about $100 when I sent in my 50 1.4 to have the AF calibrated after a drop.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

drat, I was wondering when the price for this would come out. I figure street price will be $9k or so.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

woot fatigue posted:

If anything, owning a Canon printer would make me less likely to buy other Canon products.

I started my foray into digital photography with a Canon Powershot S100. When I jumped to an SLR, I had a friend with a 20D and L lenses I could borrow. So I got a Rebel XT in Nov 2005.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HookShot posted:

What's that really, really good Samyang (I remember it's wide, but I can't remember how wide) that had basically better quality than all the Canon lineup?

The 35mm F/1.4

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

woot fatigue posted:

What's the consensus on mounting Nikon lenses on Canon? I'm looking at a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 that gives 8mm of shift...

I have the 35 F/2.8 PC-Nikkor shift and have used it a few times on my 5D3. It's awesome once you stop it down. Got it from MrBlandAverage!

Edit: confirming black knob.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 20, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

woot fatigue posted:

It's getting hot in here with all this talk about black knobs.

So what do you mean in terms of stopping down? Is it good around 5.6-11?

I tend to stop down to F/8 or F/11 as I've mostly used it for landscapes and architecture. I also got a Hoya 400x 9-stop ND filter for it.

Here are some samples: http://imgur.com/a/ODIKj

First image is two exposures, one with the lens shifted 11mm left and one shifted 11mm right. It will shift up to 11mm only on the long axis of the shot. Short axis can shift 8mm without vignetting and the two 30 degree stops in between the cardinal directions can do 7mm of shift before it vignetting.

Second image is a 10s exposure with the Hoya filter on the lens.

Pretty sure I stopped it down to F/11 for both shots.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

torgeaux posted:

Thanks a whole lot, guys. Just ordered a 35/3.5 and adapter. Of course this is a test step to see if I like the focal length enough to get the sigma.

I'm still full-steam ahead getting the Sigma in August for my birthday. :catdrugs:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

harperdc posted:

Just be sure you buy stuff that's fast. Class 10 is the fastest you can get SD cards (...right?) so look for the circular logo on the front/label of the card. A cheap 64 gig card is nice until you realize it's class 4 and won't handle video or a large buffer of photos terribly well.

I think UHS is faster if the camera supports it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep. The 5D3 has done something similar in the last 12 months.

Paid full price, worth erry penny!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What's the significance of it hitting refurb store?

not trying to be cynical, but I don't understand - does this mean something for future? As in 6d being phased out, etc? It seems used/refurbs were about the same price.

Canon refurbs can be purchased at a discount through their loyalty program. And they usually run sales with up to 20% off.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Manos posted:

This is only for bodies/bodies+lens and not just lenses correct?

Yes, the loyalty program only applies to bodies.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

SeaborneClink posted:

How can I change the file names of photos on the camera. _MG_#### bothers me. I'd be fine with IMG_####. I am the second owner of this 5D mk2 and it did not come with the cd software.

Check your colorspace. Online sources say _MG is for Adobe RGB while IMG is sRGB. Source

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Wario In Real Life posted:

KEH is the go-to place for quality used gear at a the lowest possible price. They're pretty much the standard around.

Also have a 6-month warranty on used gear!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Mr. Despair posted:

Go find a copy of Understanding Exposure and read that, and go from there.

Thirding this. Understanding Exposure is what made photography "click" for me.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

the_lion posted:

So is the consensus still that the Canon 85mm f1.8mm is the best on autofocus and sharpness for the price?

I'm looking at one, probably not in the L range though and just wondering which to get. May upgrade later down the track.
I shot mainly portraits, and I have a 5D Mark II. I've already got a 24-105mm and a 50mm f1.2 ( both of which I usually shoot on).

I did a quick search and read the op, just curious if it's still current.

The 85 1.8 is nice stopped down to just F/2. It's the next (and hopefully last) lens I purchase for the foreseeable future.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

geeves posted:

I expect to have a sore arm after this weekend.

Just doing some 200mm curls, scoping the bokehs. Do you even DoF, bro?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Another request for a lens suggestion post.

Situation is I've have a 600D with the standard kit 18-55 lens + 70-300mm for longer stuff and I'm in the market for a prime, budget is about $400AU.

Currently I'm tossing up between Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM HOWEVER, the other reason I'm looking for is lens to take videos of my girlfriends celtic dancing school displays. (example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFUBV5oHJM). Next time I'll be trying to control the lighting of the theatre much more (I'm thinking even a few vids at their practice hall) but as you can see there is a lots of movement and distance changes. 90% of the time it'll be used for regular photography however

Am I being too hopeful to have a 50mm prime be capable of doing this or swapping to a 35mm?

As a current owner of a Canon EF 50 F/1.4 and having owned two copies of it total, I would recommend it. I always had my hood on it and the only time it had the focus get weird was when I dropped it about 24 inches onto concrete. A $90 repair corrected the issue.

I love my 50 F/1.4.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BobTheDestroyer posted:

Fine, the Canon 50 F/1.4 it is, thanks internet people

Get a hood for sure and always set focus to infinity when you put it away. Setting the focus retracts the front element and having the hood on it backwards will protect it from bumps while retracted.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

geeves posted:

Borrowed my friend's 70D yesterday for a wedding. Didn't use it much (and glad I didn't because I didn't properly set it to RAW when I thought I had), but aside from that, it was a real joy to use and I loved the menu.

So question: Does the 6d or 5D3 share similar menus and touch capabilities with the 70D or is it unique?

No touchscreen on the 5D3.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dakana posted:

Is anyone able to nail down a reason to buy the Canon 35 1.4 over the Sigma 35 1.4? Seems like AF is the same, and the Sigma eeks out over the Canon in IQ and CA while being substantially cheaper.

Unwavering commitment to OEM lenses and/or CPS membership?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The verdict is in:

I've had it for a year. :blush:

I've had my 5D3 for 14 months now and I have about 10x the shutter count you do. :madmax:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

jsmith114 posted:

My fiancee has been expressing more of an interest in photography and she has been having fun with my old 10d, but would like to get a camera of her own. She wants to spend below $200. It would be nice if we could end up with two mostly autonomous systems, but I am very willing to share gear. I currently have the following:

10d
40d
50 f/1.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
70-200 f/4 IS
SMC 35 f/3.5 on an adapter
extension tubes
couple of CF cards
a crap ton of bp-511/a batteries

I was looking at a bargain condition XTi with the IS version of the kit lens. I am not very familiar with the Rebel line, is there a better camera that I could find (quickly) for about $100 or less?

On keh.com you could get her a BGN grade 20D with battery and charger for $115 and then tack on an 18-55 IS in BGN condition as well for $53. Both would have a 6 month warranty.

The 20D is closer in age to the Rebel XT.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

jsmith114 posted:

I was looking at that, but I think she would rather have the newer sensor of the XTi over the better build and top LCD on the 20D. Is there another advantage of a 20D over the XTi that I don't know about?

Side by side

Edit: added 30D too

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 14, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

rcman50166 posted:

Anyone here ever use the Canon 400mm f/5.6L? I just discovered that if I'm lucky I could score one for $1000. I want to make sure it's worth the purchase. It would be a specialty lens that I would only use for sports and birds.

Clayton Bigsby had one for a while.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

timrenzi574 posted:

Neither kit lens is better than the Tamron you already have for stills - however, the STM motor is bloody fantastic for video. It's silent on the video track, unlike USM/HSM motors, and it also has the ability to slowly rack into focus instead of just zipping there which is kindof distracting in a video.

Seconding this. My boss just used his tax return to get a deal on the 70D + 18-55 STM + 55-250 STM. He's selling the 55-250 STM and keeping the 18-55 STM for video only. The STM tracks focus on the 70D silently and quickly.

This video demonstrates nicely.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

JacobRyan posted:

I have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, purchased back in 2010 so it's out of warranty, I lent it to what I thought was a trustworthy friend (yeah I'm a dumbass but her being a "real photographer" and me being a putz with a fancier than average camera I thought it'd be okay) and when I received it back the autofocus no longer works. Upon further investigation and the interrogation of my friend, they admitted to placing the lens in the same compartment that held an "empty" bottle that had milk in it. My question to you fine folks since I'm on my own for this repair, since said friend is being a douche and refusing to help fund the repair and I need/want this lens in working order. Would you ship it to Canon for this repair which I believe the repair estimate was about $130 or do you think a local reputable shop could handle it as well? If local, I live in Metro-Detroit so any local shops you could recommend that you know that handle repairs well would be greatly appreciated.

I've owned two copies of the Canon EF 50 F/1.4 and the ONLY time the AF has ever had any issue on either copy was when I dropped my first copy from knee height onto a cement floor and the AF was offset. Canon charged me ~$110 at the time (Feb 2009 I think) to clean the lens elements and re-calibrate the focus. I have the OEM hood for the lens and keep it reversed on the lens and the focus dialed to infinity when not in use.

The base estimate they give you is just the cost of opening it up and seeing what's wrong and possibly fixing a few minor things. If the circuitry for the AF did, in fact, get doused in milk then you might be looking at a higher cost for repair.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

JacobRyan posted:

I've been running a Canon Rebel XT for gosh 7 years now, and I've been wanting a 7D for quite sometime.

The XT is a 9 year old camera and the 7D is coming up on 5 years old. The 7D is light-years ahead in terms of performance and features. You'll get more keepers with your existing lens lineup using a 7D than with the XT.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos350d&products=canon_eos7d

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

IanTheM posted:

Is the 7D the same size as the 5D3? Or more like a 6D? I can't remember, but for me a 6D is the ideal DSLR camera size.

The 7D is closer in size to the 6D

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Just scored a 100L Macro from KEH for under $800. Can't wait to play with it!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

totalnewbie posted:

I was going to go with the 35mm f/1.4 to go with my not-yet-purchased 6D, but is this deal good enough that I should jump on it? I'm a sucker for deals :(

Ehh, I'll probably stick with the 35mm. Someone validate my choice.

All I'll say is that I love my Sigma 35 F/1.4. :colbert:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I recently splurged and got a 24-70L Mk 1.

My son is not impressed.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
What's the thread consensus on which wireless shutter remote to use?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cross posting here from the Buy/Sell thread

pseudonordic posted:

Trying to sell some lenses that I don't use very much in an attempt to be somewhat responsible.

Canon 24-70 F/2.8L Mk I - Lens, caps, and hood - $925 (includes shipping w/ insurance and Paypal)

I got it from KEH in December 2014 for $1065 in EX condition. Been a good lens but I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. My Sigma 35 1.4 is holding things down on the wide end.

Canon 85 F/1.8 - lens and caps - $275

I got this from KEH a while ago and I used to use it a lot but sits in my bag since I got a 70-200 2.8L IS.

PM is probably the best way to contact me but I'll be watching this thread.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Helen Highwater posted:

The 1.2L is pretty much the sharpest fast lens available. The Sigma is optically great (although I think it feels a bit cheaply made myself) but the Canon is a step above.

It also has a known design issue of focus shift. You can learn to compensate for it or you can get a lens that doesn't have it. :colbert:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

timrenzi574 posted:

And the corners are not so great even at f/8. And the sigma is handily sharper and has better contrast at every equivalent aperture. It just can't open up that extra 1/3 stop, and doesn't have the magical "rendering" that makes canon fanboys sound like leica glowmeisters sometimes. (Although the bokeh is really dreamy on that lens, I will admit that)

I'm happy enough with my Sigma 35 1.4 A shooting at F/1.6 that I'm ready to plunk down for the 50 Art and 24 Art.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Seamonster posted:

...if the AF motor doesn't break on you. It has a reputation for being somewhat fragile.

I've owned two copies of this lens over the last ten years. I purchased one in 2005 when I got into photography and I sold it in 2011 when I got a 7D and wanted to fund crop lenses. I promptly got a 5D3 in 2012 and sold all my crop gear and got another 50 F/1.4.

The only time I've had any issues witht he AF on either copy is when I dropped the first lens from 24" onto concrete which resulted in focus misalignment. A $120 trip to Canon Repair Services and it was good as new.

That said, I keep my hood on it reversed when stored in my bag and I always pull focus so that the front element is retracted before I put it away.

YMMV.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/647011-USA/Canon_3554B002_EF_100mm_f_2_8L_Macro.html

Anyone ever use this lens? I was shooting a bit the other day and realized I need two things to once and for all complete my digital kit:

A true macro that is maneuverable (I.E., I don't have to be right on top of something to get insane detail out of it), and some kind of lens wider than a 35mm that isn't a piece of fuckshit.

I have the 100L Macro and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I'm trying to decide what lens I want to get for use on the wide end of things. I currently have a Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100L Macro, and a 70-200 F/2.8L IS II. I previously owned a 24-70 2.8L and 17-40L at different times. The 35, 50, and 70-200 are my most used lenses. Looking through my LR catalog, Ive' shot about 8% of my photos at or under 24mm, so I'm considering the following three lenses:

16-35 F/4L IS
24-70 F/4L IS
Sigma 24mm F/1.4 Art

The 24-70 F/2.8L II would be amazing, I'm sure but it would be a stretch financially.

Any thoughts, goons?