Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
AF micro-adjust is a godsend. If you use Sigma lenses, anyway. I spent an hour tweaking the AF of my 50mm/1.4 a while ago, and yesterday I took tons of pictures on a party and the AF didn't fail me once, none of these front focusing issues and what not, despite shooting wide open. If I wouldn't have done it, pictures would have ended up lovely (the correction is +10, which seems significant for a shallow DOF lens). I don't want to miss micro-adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

About this Magic Lantern stuff, is it an alternative firmware? Is it worthwhile to be installed? --edit: Awww, no 6D branch yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there any reason why Canon cameras don't just do AF confirmation on mechanical lenses via the firmware? I was wondering, because I've ordered a Samyang and it's apparently possible to get confirmation by essentially glueing a third party chip to the mount. So I'm wondering why this isn't supported by firmware and needs a nonsense hack.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Android Play store lists the EOS Remote with 100K-500K downloads, and there's also an iOS version with an unknown amount of downloads. Since it works only with the 6D, seems like Canon's moving a decent amount of these.

Also, anyone else got a custom camera neckstrap, just to get rid of the obnoxiously conspicuous Canon one?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If the Rebel XT served you well and you didn't feel like you needed more in terms of autofocus, go with the 6D and spend the surplus on glass. People coped fine with the 5D Mk2 autofocus before the Mk3, and the 6D has a more accurate and more sensitive version of it. As such, the million AF points of the 5D Mk3 would be nice to have, but whether it is worth several hundred dollars...

As far as the dual slots go, it depends on how much you plan to shoot without dumping the files onto a computer. A 16GB card fits around 520 pictures on it.

Also, the sensor in the 6D is supposedly based on slightly newer tech than the 5D Mk3 and 1Dx, showing slightly less noise at same exposure settings.

And in regards to weight, it's not only lighter than the 5D Mk3, it's also smaller. Size is more or less the same as the 60D.

--edit:
Here's a comparison of the sizes, the x/xx/xxxD ones and the new SL1.

http://i.imgur.com/CZvIeQJ.jpg

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 2, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The used prices of the 5D Mk2 are one of the reasons I went with the 6D. For some reason, the used bodies go for 1400-1500€ here in Europe. For 200€ more, I got a compacter fullframe, Wifi (nice for impromptu remote shooting via EOS Remote) and a better sensor as well as better AF. And the thing is brand new, because who knows how the previous owner man-handled his/her camera.

On the other hand, if you wait a little longer, the 5D Mk2 prices may drop some more, when more people deflect to the 6D for the same reasons.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Haven't done video with it yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Alternatively, get the body only and the 24-70mm/2.8 from Tamron. It's pretty good for half the price of the Canon equivalent. And it has IS, too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just done some night sky photography for star trails, the Wifi remote loving owns.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Can't use hoods with a step up ring.
About that... Some prominent internet jerks are like "argleblargle gently caress hoods", because the coating on lenses is apparently so magical, that flares are impossible. What about it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

After upgrading to the 6D, I intend to be a pain the rear end to myself and am going the prime only route for the time being. So I guess I'm not just being pretentious by keeping the hood on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I stumbled across this looking for something else:

quote:

If anyone doubts this: The 6d can also shoot with 1/8000 shutter, the Magic Lantern devs discovered this, it's just that the Canon firmware has a "5d3 protection lock" that keeps resetting it to 1/4000 :-o
What are the chances of a "tweaked" firmware?

--edit: Also, why can I assign all function to the DOF preview button that I can to the AE lock button, but not assign DOF preview to the AE lock button? I'm just wondering because I used the AE lock button for AF on my 550D, set up my 6D the same and only now figured that I have the AF ON button for this.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 9, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I had a full shouting fight with a photographer I assisted about shooting RAW.
Details please.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess I just don't understand why people passionate enough about photography, that they'll get a DSLR, refuse to deal with RAW, given that it's a virtual darkroom allowing you to tweak your poo poo in a nearly lossless way. It's one thing if you don't get the whole process, because not everyone's a tech literate Einstein, but simply refusing giving it a try for no drat reason, I don't get.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Verman posted:

My lunch break consists of people watching here in Chicago. Its amazing how many people are rolling really nice cameras (50-60D/7D) and their pop up flash goes off when they take a skyline shot.
We have these here, too. But they're not that much in numbers. They know their poo poo, tho, because when I'm walking about with my stuff, they're more often than not trying to glean at the text on my camera strap (well, I do that with other people sporting cameras, too, but with less shifty eyes).

Or like that one idiot I met urbex'ing, that suddenly started to talk about his 5D MkII he owns (--edit: supposedly, I didn't think of baiting him to show it), when he saw the original strap of my Canon, which he hauls around in his backpack but apparently doesn't have any lenses for ( :confused: ) and used his 1000D instead.

My space invaders camera strap stopped that poo poo for the most part.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 11, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gambl0r posted:

I am horrible at shooting people!
Wrong gear, I suppose. If you get what I mean.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A drat shame about their tilt shift, because the Samyang 24mm/1.4 is pretty drat good.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ShotgunWillie posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought I was the only one. Killing the Canon wireless transfer program worked for me.
If the Canon wireless transfer works via UPnP, is there some third party solution for it? Or is there any indication of Lightroom possibly enabling wireless transfers in future?

--edit: Tried the DLNA option and I can access the SD card of my 6D over the network, but it appears to show poo poo, because the photos are all RAW. :(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 15, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

As far as the 35mm goes, you might want to have AF because it's easier to miss with the focus at 35mm than at 24mm. If you still want to go with the Samyang, you might want to consider modding it with a third party chip for focus confirmation, if you don't always want to check and zoom into your images whether you hit infinity correctly or not.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Someone tell me the 6D is junk and I don't want it. I hate being poor at the moment.
Sorry, can't do that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

--edit: There's EOS 3D rumors going around yet again, because some idiot supposedly wore a camera strap saying 3D. Which made me think, are there any informations about Canon doing anything in the direction of SLT and/or mirrorless DSLR-sized cameras? Because I tried the Sony A99 and the EVF is :coal:

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is the 6D the best route to go, or is the 5Dmkii going to deliver better? I know the sensor in the 6D is super good at high ISO ..
6D has better AF, better sensor. Drawbacks are one card slot only, slightly slower sync speed, slower burst rate, 1/4000th minimum shutter. Whether the drawbacks apply depends on what you shoot.

It's smaller and lighter (dimensions are roughly the same as the 60D), if you care about that. GPS is built-in, but a power hog. Wifi is also built-in, interesting for remote shooting via your smartphone or your laptop with EOS Utility. You can access the camera storage via DLNA over Wifi, but works only for JPEGs.

Go with the 6D, unless you're really strapped for cash or for some reason need to shoot with flash at very high shutter speed.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 18, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

It will be interesting to see how the sensor performs. Apparently it's a 40mp sensor with almost every pixel masked one way or the other for their new phase-detect AF system. I find it a little bit odd that their APSC technology strategy seems to revolve so strongly around video.
So the dual pixel means twice the resolution for the sake of video AF? What happens in photo mode? Are both pixels being sampled and averaged, or do you have to expect noise like poo poo because of subatomic pixel pitch?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Saw a preview video showing off the new sensor based phase detection AF. It seems fast and accurate. So if it proves reliable on the 70D, there's nothing that'd stop Canon from doing a mirrorless DSLR-like, without translucent mirror bullshit like what's necessary on Sony right now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sigma 35mm/1.4 lens, best lens!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I hope that PDF and their data on the registers finally settles what the native ISOs are on Canon cameras. I always have to chuckle when people start babbling about the third stop steppings.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I figure if they could actually sample it in a crosshatch pattern to create RG BG pairs instead of double lines, the results would be way more impressive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rumors are going around that Canon is testing a 75MP FF sensor. A lot of forums are already up in the arms, as to who would need that much megapickles. I rather hope it's a dualpixel sensor instead, challenging the D800.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Given the dual pixel stuff on the 70D, that new sensor, if it's for real, would output the same as the D800. I can't see Canon not using dualpixel from here on. Seems pretty impressive given what people previewing the 70D said.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kaninrail posted:

So has anyone with a 6D tried the beta version of Magic Lantern yet? I'm considering giving it a try, since focus peeking looks really cool and I'm hopeful that dual-iso mode will come to the 6D eventually. Any trip reports out there before I dive in?
I'm not in particular interested in Magic Lantern, unless it can force enable AF confirmation on manual lenses, since Canon's not going to add it for whatever dumb reason.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What does this mean? Like the selected focus points will light up red when they're focused on a manual lens?
Yeah, that. If you set a "regular" lens to MF, a mode where it does nothing, it'll work because its electronics tell the camera it works in MF mode. A true MF lens without electronics, it won't work for whatever dumb reason. Unless you're glueing a third party chip on it, signalling the camera about MF mode. Something fiddly I don't intend to do.

--edit:
Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-Adjustable-AF-Confirm-chip-For-Canon-EOS-aperture-adjustable-f1-4-f4-0-50mm-/281095093126

Shmoogy posted:

Seconded... Does the 6D not have a focus confirm beep for chipped manual lenses? That seems like a crazy omission as I'm pretty sure it's on like every other camera.
If the lens is chipped, it works. I'm talking about completely manual lenses, like the Samyangs.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 23, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not interested in LV mode. I want the regular AF confirmation to work and do the blinkenlights in the viewfinder.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

But there are no electronics, how would it know? Are you telling me that the camera can know if its in focus without electronics, but is limited through software alone? I don't see how that's possible, but I'm definitely interested in knowing how if it is because that's awesome, and truly weird that they'd place such an arbitrary limitation in the camera.
Camera does the focus detection. On contrast detection, if a certain contrast ratio on the AF points is met, the picture is in focus. The newer systems work with phase detection, not sure how that voodoo works exactly, but it can actually even tell whether it's front or back focused.

Based on what the camera sees, it instructs the lens what to do. On contrast detection, the lens starts hunting and the camera guides it based on how the contrast changes for the better or worse. With phase detection it already knows what direction it has to focus and just stops the lens if certain measurement criterias are met.

When lenses are set to manual, the camera just keeps checking the AF fields and does nothing with the lens. That's your job at that point. Why it doesn't work when there's a completely manual lens, is anyone's guess. I'd hope this could be overridden in software.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mightaswell posted:

I don't have any bodies that do MFA, but the nuts over at Fred Miranda mention MF adjust on manual lenses to get the focus confirm beep just so.
I thought MFA is supposed to compensate inaccuracies in the focusing mechanism. If PD AF, as evil bunny says, samples once and then tells the lens where to focus, I suppose that's when MFA comes into play. As in, the camera telling the lens to focus at 5ft, but Sigma being assholes have too high of tolerances during manufacturing, it actually focuses at 5.5ft even tho its electronics think it's at 5ft.

If that's indeed the case, MFA would actually gently caress with your manual focusing when relying on confirmation.--edit: That didn't make sense.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 23, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's still an embargo on photos taken with it, right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That terrible, terrible 6D ruined so many of my shots... :argh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 100D may be handy to stuff away, and while I don't have large man hands, something the size of a 60D/6D/70D feels the best to me as amateur. If one can't afford an 70D, he should definitely consider an used 60D over a new Rebel camera.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Newest rumor about that mythical 75MP sensor is that it's actually a 25MP non-Bayer sensor, based on their multilayer patent (i.e. capturing all colors a la Foveon), and some jerk in between the telephone game having inflated the number by interpreting things wrong.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Foveon has even less of a dynamic range than the current Canon sensors. And they still haven't managed to create a 35mm one, either.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Try a 14mm, it's pretty fun.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

mdtyson posted:

the 6D had less to offer as far as quickly changing settings go - the UI seems god awful whereas the mk3 is very similar to the 7D setup I'm used to.
The gently caress? The Canon UI's are virtually all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, there's that directional button on the large dial.