Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Dropped a t3i with the 50mm 1.4 attached and now it wont focus closer than 1.5M! The camera itself is fine, but the lens has the same problem in auto and manual modes. Anything worth trying on the home repair front before I send it in?

Manually focus beyond that, you'll find that it won't AF at short distances. I fixed mine for the most part by simply rotating the focus ring several times through it's full rotation.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

geeves posted:

I agree with this. I have a clear B+W 72mm MRC Nano Clear for my 35L and 50L and currently a heliopan 77mm filter. I have a B+W 77mm UV filter too that I haven't used / needed yet. Neither interfere with my photos and if anything I'd rather have a fingerprint or dust on the filter than on the lens.

Except in extreme environmental conditions, you're better off with hood only for protection. Desert, near the surf on the beach, shooting from moving vehicle in dusty conditions, rain (to complete the weather seal). The lens is not going to be hurt by dust or a fingerprint, and cleaning it is no harder than cleaning the filter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Gambl0r posted:

I've owned both and agree. The pancake is far from a gimmick lens. It's one of the few great values in canon's current lineup.. It's incredibly sharp, good build, and compact. The 50 1.8 is soft, with horrible build quality.

The 50 1.8 is not soft. And if stopped down to 2.8 I'd bet it's sharper than the 40 mm wide open.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Claw Massage posted:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3224578

Take this for what it is (numbers that don't really make much sense to most of us) but this guy claimed the 40 is still sharper then the 50 at 2.8 but once you go to f4 and above the 1.8 is sharper. But really, it's splitting hairs. They cost next to nothing in photo dollars so try them both out and sell the one you don't like.

Sure, the 50 was sharper in the center (for crop users in particular that would be meaningful) and the 40 better average (so apparently much sharper at the edges).

They are both basically free, and I'd recommend the 40 to lots of users, but it's benefit isn't relative sharpitude.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BeanTaco posted:

What is wrong with you people why would you recommend the 50 over the 40.
Yeah maybe its a little better for portraiture but in general the 40mm will behave at least comparably well if not better while also being a massive leap ahead in that it turns your camera into something you actually want to carry around all the time.

Easy. For some, the cost difference is not nothing, and for some the point of a prime is speed AND sharpness, and the 40 only does one of those.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Thanks a whole lot, guys. Just ordered a 35/3.5 and adapter. Of course this is a test step to see if I like the focal length enough to get the sigma.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CarrotFlowers posted:

Are you the Dorkroom's resident dentist? Man the gear you pick up gives me gear lust so bad.

No, that's me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Seamonster posted:

24 is pretty wide on full frame - more than 80 degrees angle of view. In any case you should have a 24-105 just because.

This. It's a very versatile lens, wide enough, sharp enough, good enough IS.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Aquila posted:

Comparing the 17-40L and the 24-105L is the latter that much better to go with it? I'm currently using a 50f1.8 on my 5Dc and need something wider.

Also is the kit lens for the 6D the same 24-105L? It seems like I can get that for $2400 or the body for $1900 (and a free printer it seems).

Same 24-105. Unless you need an ultra wide, there's no comparison of the two, the 24-105 is so much more useful.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Huxley posted:

Borrowed the XT from work and brought it home to fiddle with it because I'm thinking about a used XTi. Take a bunch of pictures, plug it into the PC and it needs a driver. Whatever. Download it and run it and it says it doesn't work at all.

Google it, and apparently Canon just never updated its website for the XT or XTi drivers for any OS newer than Vista (unless I'm doing something way wrong). That's pretty cool.

Use a card reader.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bolind posted:

If I'm jonesing for a 70-200, which one do I buy? Is IS very necessary or can I live without it. My intention is to use it for portraits as well as event photography where I want some distance to the subject. I don't see myself shooting sports or wildlife.

I'm selling my non is 2.8 in the sale thread.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

deaders posted:

Ahh man I could now get a used 5d Mk ii with some accessories for $1100... it's only money right?

If it's not rent money, go for it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm looking for an intervalometer and possibly a remote shutter release, preferably wireless unless there's an overwhelming reason to avoid going wireless, for my 5D2. Suggestions?

I just got one wireless from amazon. Satechi.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ShotgunWillie posted:

Going to take the a train trip from Portland to Glacier National Park, and then to Chicago. I've wanted to add a telephoto to my kit for a bit more reach, but I can't decide between the 70-200 F4L IS and the 70-300 F4-5.6L IS. I have a 6D, 24-105, and a 100L macro.

What does the goon hive mind say?

I'm interested in getting better wildlife and landscape shots, and love bug pictures.

With the 6D I'd break ranks and go with the 70-300, as 200 just isn't that long.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ShotgunWillie posted:

Does the 100-400L hold up to the other two in terms of quality? I understand it to be an older lens and I am unsure about the push/pull.

I really liked mine. Sure, best if stopped down a bit, but the IS was surprisingly good for it's generation. Push/pull is actually easy to get used to.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

Three years ago I might've agreed with him with maybe one or two caveats. Now, there are a whole lot more caveats. In some situations (especially the telephoto and supertelephoto arenas) Canon's going to rule the roost, but the lines are blurring substantially in other lengths.

Actually, Sigma's 120-300 f 2.8 kicks Canon's rear end.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

In what way?

The IQ and focus speed of the 70-200 2.8 IS II and 300 2.8 IS (I and II) are untouched as far as I know. Sure, they're expensive, but for the people using them professionally there really isn't any competition. The 400 2.8, 500 f/4, and 600 f/4 pretty much stand alone as well.

Don't get me wrong: the 120-300 2.8's an astoundingly good lens, especially considering the price point, but it really doesn't measure up for professional photographers.

Go read the digital picture's review of the latest version. The 300 prime doesn't beat it for IQ, or speed, or IS, but is less versatile. Comparing a 200mm zoom to a 300mm zoom ignores the 50% greater reach.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

According to that review (and also their test chart photos), the 70-200 2.8 II and the 300 2.8 I and II all beat the 120-300 in IQ. The reviewer also calls it simply "capable" and adds that its (lack of) speed "keep this lens out of the best-available category".

So, you take one quote, "keep this lens out of the best-available category," leave out this, "With well over 1,000 shots of galloping horses evaluated, I would not hesitate to use this lens for professional needs. Focus accuracy is very good."

And, on IQ, this: "I've been comparing the Sigma 120-300 OS with the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens and the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens most directly throughout this review. These are Canon's most-similar models from a feature perspective. The two Canons cover much of the Sigma's overall focal length range – the pair leave a 201-299mm gap and pick up the 70-119mm range. They also share the f/2.8 max aperture and have image stabilization. The Sigma has the focal length range convenience advantage. The Canon 300 L II has the image quality advantage, though this is not huge. If forced to pick, I'd take the Canon AF systems."

I think saying it doesn't measure up for professional photographers is simply Canon snobbery.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Gothmog1065 posted:

Never saw a reply, figured I'd try again.

I browse on mobile and don't follow links that much, so a description would get you more answers. After looking, I didn't see a brand, so I have no knowledge of this company. Sorry.

Edit: do they give the capacity anywhere? If not, stay away.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fknlo posted:

Is the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L any good or are you better off getting a fixed length lens? I kayak fish and can get pretty close to a lot of birds/animals and it seems like having a range of zooms to chose from would be kind of nice.

Slight IQ benefit to the prime, offset entirely by it's lack of IS, which the Zoom has.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rockcity posted:

Thanks everyone. That Sigma 50 f1.4 is definitely on my list of lenses to buy. I like the 17-40 a lot, but I know I'll be shooting stuff where f4 just isn't going to cut it and I'd miss the shallow depth of field ability. The Canon 24mm f1.4 is a fantastic lens that I wish I could justify. I rented it once and loved it. I'd check out the Samyang version but I really need autofocus for concerts.

The Sigma 24 f1.8 is a nice lense. Not as fast on focus, but not usually an issue. Plenty sharp, and not that expensive.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

maxe posted:

hey canon bros can i get some input on a new lens?

i want something long, L series and i'll be buying new for a 5dIII

i got that EF 75-300mm lens free when I bought my 500D ages ago, and i had a lot of fun with it at full zoom, despite it being a rattly piece of poo poo otherwise.

I'm looking for a similar experience with better quality on my 5D. There seems to be a lot of lenses in the 200mm range, but I'm worried I'll miss the extra 100mm or more when im taking Cool Moon Pics or whatever. I don't shoot for a living or have any really specific plans for how I want to use these yet.

So my shortlist has come down to ;

Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6L IS
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
and mayyyybe
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM - if I can get some change from $3k

any input about what these things are like to live with? Do you find the higher f-stop a big disadvantage on the cheaper lenses? I've already got the 24-105mm, should I go big or go home? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Sigma 120-300 2.8. The last two versions are really good. Avoid version one.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

That is incredible. It's also $84,000 in just lenses.

C'mon, I'm sure they rent.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Seamonster posted:

Somebody nearby is selling a 5Dc on CG for...$120??

Buy it. You have two good kidneys, just in case, right?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Thoogsby posted:

Those sites always seem to be geared towards the obsessive pixel-peeping crowd, I generally buy lenses based on word of mouth reputation and it hasn't burned me yet.

The digital picture is no pixel peeper. His in depth reviews are very useful.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

astr0man posted:

I've heard real good things about the sigma 18-35 f1.8, but I've never personally tried it.

Do this and let us know.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Those don't look bad at all in terms of detail reproduction. They do look a little washed-out though, as you say. Good to know about the AF. Right now on my 5D2 the 400mm's performance is barely tolerable as it is (which is down to the body, not the lens) so maybe I'll just go for the 70-200 f/4 instead, and not worry about teleconvertibility.

Look at the sigma 120-300 f2.8. It's sharp, good AF performance, and good IS. The second version is very good, and not too expensive used. the third version is fantastic, but costs what it's worth.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

timrenzi574 posted:

It also weighs as much as a 500/4 MKII. Makes you feel safe walking at night if you need to kill a man

Well, it is a 300mm 2.8

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Wow. Seriously, wow. Buckets? I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this works.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Laserface posted:

Cross post from automotive photography thread:

Anyone got some advice on a good lens for action night shots?

There's a free-to-watch drifting night at my local track and I shot 600ish photos and had these ones be the best of them.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/ZQntT

Shot on Canon 550D with a Tamron 18-270 3.5-6.5 with stabilisation.

Next time I go I will have a media pass so I can get closer, so reach won't really be an issue (these were all shot between 50-80mm), but I feel like I'm still gonna need a faster lens. I also want to get it under 6400 ISO if possible.

I have a nifty fifty but I've been told it'll just be blurry mess at low f-stop.

Was thinking canon 60mm macro as I would get extra use out of that shooting flowers for my girlfriend but the 100mm f2 canon seems like a better lens for the car stuff (and for daylight events) perhaps.

The nifty fifty isn't incredible at 1.8, but it's hardly a blurry mess. But stopped down to 2.8 it's still faster than the 18-270.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pseudonordic posted:

I'm trying to decide what lens I want to get for use on the wide end of things. I currently have a Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100L Macro, and a 70-200 F/2.8L IS II. I previously owned a 24-70 2.8L and 17-40L at different times. The 35, 50, and 70-200 are my most used lenses. Looking through my LR catalog, Ive' shot about 8% of my photos at or under 24mm, so I'm considering the following three lenses:

16-35 F/4L IS
24-70 F/4L IS
Sigma 24mm F/1.4 Art

The 24-70 F/2.8L II would be amazing, I'm sure but it would be a stretch financially.

Any thoughts, goons?

Consider the 24-105 over the 24-70. Lighter, sharp, and the f/4 is a non-factor for wide, really.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pseudonordic posted:

The 24-70 F/4L IS is lighter than the 24-105 F/4L IS. :confused:

The 35 Art and 50 1.4 are my go-to low-light lenses at the moment. I think I really just want to have coverage wider than 35.

Sounds like the 16-35 F/4L IS is the winner!

Sorry, I was just referring to your reverential desire for the 24-70 f/2.8II. As for the 24-70 f/4, unless the IQ is much better, I'd still go for the extra reach of the 24-105.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I just got my first (D)SLR ever, a used 20D. I have probably forgotten everything I learned as a kid about photography, but right now I'm just trying to come to grips with even turning the thing on. Wikipedia says something about a max CF card size of 8GB, is this true? My other question is whether such a thing as an SD -> CF card adapter exists, and if so, whether this is recommended at all. I understand if this is a bad idea, but this is the first CF-only device I've owned in over a decade. It would be nice if I didn't have to go out and buy a bunch of new flash cards.

8GB is huge for a 20D. And I haven't googlized it, but I suspect it is a hard limit.

Do not get an adapter. SD is slower than CF, and I can't imagine that would be better with an adapter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe they're doing some combo upload to twitter/instagram/fb that does really dumb compression? I try to do 100% or 50% jpg.

One more thing about the lens- the 8-16 has a crazy convex front element so if you are planning to do a lot with screw-in filters then you might want to look at other lenses.

Otherwise, it's a blast. I'm mostly shooting with my 6D now and I miss being able to use this lens all the time, and I haven't really figured out what a good EF equivalent is. Go wide or go home!

Rokinon 14mm.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Verman posted:

Sigma 30 1.4 is a great little lens of you can find one, they usually run around 200-300 used. The one I have is tack sharp and great for crop bodies.

The fast 1.4 allows you to shoot in lower light and creates a shallower depth of field (blurry background).

It isn't the greatest lens but for the money it's hard to beat.

The canon 50 1.8 is also one of those hard to beat lenses for the money.

Go look in the used gear thread, too. My 24mm i'm selling isnt a great fit, but always consider used. Keh.com, adorama, lots of resources for used gear.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Seconding the 17-40 unless she really wants something smaller/prime.

I also finally got to use the Rokinon 14/2.8 that I bought from Torgeaux. If you don't mind MF it was pretty fun and a nice option for a FF ultrawide.

I liked it a lot. Skies with a bit of cloud are amazing with that thing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I think I'm doing it wrong

Hambooger-9553 on Flickr

I did get some other shots, but I had to laugh at myself and my thinking on a MF wide angle- oh just set it to near infinity focus and f/14 or something- and practically the first thing I shoot is a cow inside the MFD of the lens.

Hell, even 5.6 is gonna give all the cow in focus.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Seamonster posted:

I'm a cheap rear end in a top hat and just use a 40mm pancake and extension tubes.

Manual focus is pretty much required anyway. Extension tubes cost 0 photography dollars, too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Fuji's is a $700 lens though. How much are Canon and Nikon's? $100?

Not really, it's $300 as a kit lens. And definitely worth the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Soulex posted:

I was super close to trading mine for a sigma 120-300 but I’m glad I thought better. Not a newer one. I have no idea how well that thing does

It's freaking great....and huge. I had the second generation (3d is better still). It was sharp, reasonably fast focus and accurate. Plus, at 300 2.8, great portrait lens.