Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The deluxe edition has full video of every stop on the tour, so if you're into watching Harmontown instead of listening to it (which I'm kinda ambivalent on) it's a huge deal. It's all from different angles and everything, too, it's not just a flat shot of the stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

toanoradian posted:

So I'm starting Harmontown from the beginning, because, hey, Jeff Davis, he's funny on WLiiA. I'm now up to episode 3 and enjoying it, although Jeff's and Dan's voices kind of blur together somewhat occasionally. I thought there would be D&D sessions? I have always feared D&D podcasts, because 3+ voices confuse me and it often bores me. In which episode does the playing start and how complex do they get?

It starts somewhere around 7 or 8, but there's some pregame stuff like character building and name choosing before then. I had trouble telling Dan's and Jeff's voices apart at first too, but I got over it pretty quickly.

It starts out with just them and the DM, then a few episodes in they add another character, and then a lot of episodes down the line there's another regular. There's also the odd guest star. The plot never gets too complex on account of most of the performers being pretty drunk by the time the game starts, so it's usually really easy to follow.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Just got back from the Chicago show. Being there it's hard to judge it objectively, but it seemed absolutely amazing, despite one pretty awful audience member and Dino's "ironic" racism.

The huge deal about the show is that the Music Box had a guy playing organ before the showing of the documentary, and Dan paid him to stay through and accompany the show with mood music, which saved a lot of the lackluster moments and created some amazing bits in its own right.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Watching people desperately suck up to him to try to get on stage was funny though.

I was in the audience when this was going on and I was just cringing throughout. Like, is it always that bad? Is it just better not being able to see it?

I was, however, pleasantly surprised with Gout Guy. That felt like a pretty natural audience encounter, start to finish, and it reminds me why people getting up on stage is actually a good thing most of the time.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

superjew posted:

Him dismissing so many people and being insulting to their faces. There was one point where he said someone was the worst with real disgust that made me want to say "gently caress you" to the screen.

Having now listened to the episode (I went to the show) it maybe sounds a little bad, but honestly it was totally deserved. Everybody in the loving theatre was jumping out of their seats shouting things like "MY MOM'S VIETNAMESE!" or "I'M A TRUCK DRIVER!" or "MY BROTHER'S DEAD!" and so on and so forth. It was a Wannabe Freak Show. It was one of the most off-putting and cringe-inducing experiences of my life, and saying that someone is the worst is a pretty mild reaction to all that.

I didn't hear it at the show but on the podcast heard a girl saying, "I'M FULL ASIAN!" and Dino going, "Sit down, you loving Nip!" THAT was when I felt like saying "gently caress you."

Also, I was really sad that most of the organ was too quiet to hear. It sounded great in the room and I could only catch a little of it on the podcast. Was it any better on the live stream?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Irish Joe posted:

I know what it says, but I also know the way things go. First the paywall is just for "premium" content. Then its for timely releases of new episodes (gotta give subscribers their money's worth!). Then back episodes. Then downloads of current episodes (low def streaming only). And then, finally, everything is behind the paywall. I've been down this road countless times: any paywall a slippery slope to everything being paywalled. Its just a matter of time.

If this happens, I promise to personally send high-quality mp3s of every show to you from now on as long as you don't post.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's no way they're going to make any money off of this, is there? The audio podcast is so obviously superior I don't know why anybody would pay extra for the video.

I got a three-month subscription when I bought the Harmontown documentary, but there's no way I'm paying for it after that. I wouldn't be surprised if all the money dries up after that.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't think I would have noticed the laughing guy as much if everybody hadn't been complaining about it beforehand. Erin (?) was on point when she called him Judge Doom.

There was a whoop-whoop sort of guy who had a distinctive laugh, too, but I don't remember hearing him in a while.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, I really loved David Cross on Harmontown. He's struck me as a guy who's "always on," so to speak, but he was very open in the "let's all talk about religion" section and he was amazing for Shadowrun setup. I can't stop humming You Make My Shadow Run. I ordinarily hate internet projects but I would not mind at all if someone turned that into a real 80s song.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Worm space opera was basically the best thing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Drunkboxer posted:

I actually thought Dino was ok this time.

Dino's normally funny enough that he doesn't have to resort to semi-ironic racism. But he does anyway.

I thought both the audience members this time were fine. German Accent Girl didn't bother me at all. It's not like she invented her own gimmick, she was just running with DeMorge's idea.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have basically no interest in seeing the video for the podcast, but when they started streaming it, I thought, fine, whatever. But now that we know that the audio file is done at exactly the same time as the video and they just wait a couple days to release it... That's sketchy.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I mean, I have a subscription because I like the show and I like the people making it. I'm just kind of annoyed that they're focusing their energy on what is in my opinion (and most peoples' opinion here) an inferior product. Even though I don't have the time for it, livestreaming is a pretty cool idea I guess, especially if they made it more of an aspect of the show. But video adds basically nothing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Zsinjeh posted:

Speaking of Irish Joe being a bad poster, I've been listening to a couple of "Before You Were Funny" episodes (specifically Sean Clements but for this thread there's Dan Harmon and Erin McGathy on episodes) and it's hilarious. And it turns out it's on the Feral Audio Network!
http://www.feralaudio.com/show/before-you-were-funny/
http://www.feralaudio.com/episode-19-erin-mcgathy-tim-simons-joe-wengert/
http://www.feralaudio.com/episode-27-dan-harmon-mary-holland-allan-mcleod/

I happened to listen to the episode with Dan Harmon the other day. I haven't had time to listen to another episode yet, but that one, at least, is one of the funniest things I have ever heard in my entire life. Like, I don't know how I can express how funny it is without it sounding like hyperbole. It's just unbelievable.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I can't even remember the last time they took a week off. Wasn't it for Christmas or something?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I went to the Chicago show last year, and, having listened to it since then, it's not a very good show. But at the time, it was, for the most part, great. It helped that you could actually hear the organ.

I'd go if you got the chance, at least once.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wank posted:

I don't like how they always treat Dino like a freakshow :/

I will never get sick of Dan telling jokes.

That was probably the best Dino's ever been, mostly because they didn't give him enough time to be "ironically" sexist and racist. He's pretty great as long as he's just telling weird sex stories.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've been listening to the show since like the 3rd episode and I think it's perfectly fine all the way through. There's amazing episodes on occasion and a couple that are terrible. It's what you'd expect from any improvised podcast.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

In It For The Tank posted:

I'll always remember that show with the articulate neuroscientist, who just happened to be part-Asian, which prompted one girl to offer "I"m a full Asian" when Dan canvased the audience looking for guests afterwards.

I was in the room for that one, and it was about twenty times worse than what you can hear on the podcast. The whole theatre was going bananas shouting out any tidbits they could seize on. "DEAD DAD!" "WHEELCHAIR!" "BORN IN AUSTRIA!" and Dan was just kind of tottering through the aisles amicably dismissing people.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CPColin posted:

Latest episode suggests they're finally going to give up on Shadowrun. Hooray!

That's probably for the best if they're not going to commit to it. D&D kind of barely worked because there was a period where it was actually a significant part of the show, so once it was reduced to five minute chunks the setup was all still there. Shadowrun went, what, two episodes before it reached that point? Haven't they been at a storage facility for like four months?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I decided to buy tickets to the Chicago show, though I hesitated after finding out Dino was going to be comptroller. Doesn't anybody else ever want to come to Chicago?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Got back from the Chicago show and I'm pretty sure it's the worst Harmontown of all time. I'm sure it has the worst audience member of all time, I'm just not sure which one of them it was.

The real kicker is that they found the best audience rapper of all time about 90 seconds before the end of the show.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Illinois Smith posted:

Oh god, it just showed up and the description says it's "game-changing".

Well, they did literally change the game they played.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Imagine going back to 2014 or whatever to the first Dave Klein episode, and being told that in 4 years he's going to be Dan's personal trainer. Also that he bought a gun because Donald Trump was elected president.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I haven't listened for a year or so, the show's actually coming to an end? Is Dan just tired of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Dan was pretty clearly tired of the show several years ago, and that's even with me not having listened except sporadically for the past couple years. It's not really a surprise that he was bringing his C-game to recordings. There were some great moments (the ED-209 riff, the one episode with Paget Brewster) but everything was just so unfocused.

It was really, really early in the run but I think continuing to edit the episodes would have made for a much better podcast. Looking back at some of the first couple episodes they run like 70 or 75 minutes. Cut out the worst 45 of every show and you'd have something much stronger.