Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I still enjoy it, makes me feel like I'm not so bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Most successful episode of shadowrun so far! I wish Steve would guest comptrol more often, also Spencer was on point all episode, lots of good stuff. Does anyone know the name of the song that was played at the end?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

Also way kudos for having ready ideas for solutions and listing them off as a list in a calm and direct manner instead of the constant sympathy applause break everyone else is doing in the news or as Wil did.

We can put a man in the moon but we can't have children in kindergarten and not know if they will survive a hail of bullets by a madman? It blows my mind this is the world we're living it!! It's just insane!!!

Applause please, problem solved.

Is it at all possible he was just expressing his views and not just looking for applause? At least half of America is not on his side...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

It wasn't particularly aimed at Wil specifically, and it's not like this is an easy subject to solve but I'm getting tired of every school shooting leading to an impassioned speech by someone, people applaud and everyone feels better and that's it. Really got a kick out of the way Spencer listed something tangible you can talk to your congressman about.

Yeah, he seems like a pragmatic dude.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

I do think it's sort of irritating that both of them rushed into a situation that, from the outside looking in, was very very clearly a bad one and they then quit on it with, literally, a Kardashian level of speed

What is Kardashian speed? Also what's wrong with people making mistakes? They probably thought they were the only people who could put up with each other's issues, turns out that's not how it works.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I was always unsure whether it was an open secret that Spencer seems besotted with Erin. But it never seemed to come up.

I just don't see what the he'll you guys are seeing. Maybe you're obsessed with Erin and you're projecting?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

what's so bad about dave klein

Note: I don't listen to the podcast any more

He's alright, not any worse than any of the other people they bring up. I enjoyed the rap even though Dave's part made no sense and didn't rhyme, it sounded like it did though.

He didn't really have anything to say other than how he's creepy and how "genius is creep", and then he listed a bunch of celebrities who are creeps/geniuses.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

PollosBromanos posted:

I take back what I said about this guy being a garden variety attention whore, he was particularly insufferable this episode, and in retrospect he's always been this spergy/oversells everything that comes out of his mouth. They really need to stop enabling this guy, he's awful.

Is everyone just listening to hate it or something? It's not like the show is anything more than Dan Harmon exposing himself with improv bits and role playing thrown in every once in a while... like, what the gently caress do you guys expect this to be? There is literally no plan to the show and the Dave's of the world are what keep this thing going, Dave filled a good 20 minutes what else do you want?

All I keep hearing from you guys is "The show was better back in the day when everything was unplanned and poorly put together", literally nothing has changed.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 12, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

PollosBromanos posted:

then the only reasonable expectation I can have from the show after listening since the beginning is for that guest to not be an annoying gimmick.

Reasonably you shouldn't expect anything at all from a free podcast, even if you've been listening "since the beginning". Though I guess if you're a subscriber you should reasonably expect to receive a stream several days before the podcast is released, other than that I can't imagine what you think is "reasonably expected" from the content of the show.

PollosBromanos posted:

You obviously aren't as put off by him as I am and that's fine, but it's a little ridiculous that you can't understand that not liking a bit character doesn't mean I hate the show.

I'm not keeping track of your posts, so excuse me for quoting you specifically.

I just don't see why people poo poo on the show so much, I like Dave and I liked his rap. I also liked how awkward it seemed for Aubrey to have to interact with Dave and Dan.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Oh good, a "If you don't like it stop listening :smuggo:" post

I must have overlooked the subscription terms that explained what I'm entitled to when listening to this podcast. If you don't like something just say you don't like it, there is nothing that is "reasonably expected" with free content.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 13, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Hey is Rob Schrab on this week's podcast?

Who's that?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CornbeefAndCabbage posted:

I want to start listening to this, but from what I'm reading here it's pretty hit and miss. Is there a recommended starting/ending point? guests to avoid/seek out?

People in this thread like to poo poo on the show for some reason, it's still one of my favorite podcasts. I enjoy the shadowrun segments specifically because they don't know what they're doing. Also I thought Erin was fine, no worse than the randos from the audience. I would start at the beginning and keep listening, lots of fun and weird stuff.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I got to admit I've been really liking shadowrun since they double downed on being terrible players. They've killed 2 receptionists for no reason.

"You're torn apart by gun fire"

I think you only thought they were trying to be good shadow runners. The secret is they've been terrible the whole time!

Zsinjeh posted:

A few episodes back when Rob Schrabs character drunkely walked into the toilet with Dan and ranting about "oh wow, man, this adventure you know? man? wow-wee. sure is an adventure all right" *mimes washing hands* and Dan figuring out it's Demorge Browns stoic character had me rolling

"What's this? A map on the back of this bar of soap?"

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

What epsiode should I start someone off on?

Start with the episode where it begins with Dan's pants falling down as he gets on stage and ends with Dan pissing in a diaper on stage.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good show until Harmon drove it right into a wall with that double mastectomy lady.

There's another podcast I listen to, "My Brother, My Brother and Me", that has a very firm rule for their live shows: No bummers. I feel like Harmontown badly needs to adopt that rule.

I like that Dan has a fascination with people who have a story/experience. I think it's interesting, plus that's kind of Dan's style anyway, the lows are low so that the highs are extra high.

I used to listen to MbMbM, it's a good show, but I don't think you can compare the two. They serve a different audience.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Really bad without visuals, though I just realized Schrab would do a spot on inspector gadget

I only listened and it was hilarious.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Interestingly enough, her leaving him actually brought back my sense that there is justice in this world and drunk fat man babies don't get to stay with cute redheads.

Love you Dan.

Well, it's a good thing her only attributes of value are her cuteness and hair color. Otherwise it could be argued that she was terrible in that relationship too.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CPColin posted:

That episode didn't seem unusually terrible. More mediocre than anything, I think.

Yeah, seemed fine to me, plenty of laughs. Also the rapper was definitely not the best audience rapper, ridiculous claim!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Gonna be a sad day in Harmontown when that fool moves to Canada....

Who's moving to Canada?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

I dunno, I'm an improv-fan and religiously listen to Earwolf improv shows but most of the scenes on Harmontown has had me crying from laughter.

Not this week though, goddamn Aisha, loving go with it or shut the gently caress up.

I don't think she understood that they really wanted to do an improv scene, she just thought they didn't get her point of view.

Also I agree, just too many people. They were literally having multiple conversations on stage.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ashpanash posted:

Last night was one of the best episodes, ever.

The end rap was the pinnacle, retire raps, it will never get better.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Space_Butler posted:

Rob is a hero for asking "what's is so damned funny?" and getting people to acknowledge the awful laughing people. They're the most please-love-me-and-my-support human beings. I understand having a weird laugh you can't control but something is really wrong with you when you laugh at eeeeeveeything people say, even if it's just the word "bread" with zero comedic timing. I think it really bugs Spencer and Jeff too, from how quickly they launched into describing in great detail exactly what the deal is.

I hate that everyone seems to be so conscious of laughing. Dan keeps bringing it up, presumably because he gets tweets and poo poo about it all the time. Who the gently caress cares, people make noise when they find something funny. Have you ever been to a live comedy show? People laugh at everything, who the gently caress knows why, they're probably just enjoying themselves.

I don't see how having a loud laugh makes you an attention seeker, whatever... I had this same argument on reddit with people calling loud sneezers attention seekers...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

This laughing guy is either faking it or has brain problems because nobody else is laughing about 30% of the time he is. Can't do anything about it I guess because it's true, you can't just be like DON'T LAUGH, so then you're stuck hoping there's another unstable person that will do it for you.

Much like Zsinjeh, I honestly didn't hear his laugh. But also like with every other live podcast, you're assuming nobody is laughing but it might just be that the mic isn't picking it up. Keep up the good work on tracking laugh ratios though.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I've never been accused of laughing or sneezing to loud, but I do listen to a lot of podcasts and hear performers bring it up. Not that the audience is enjoying themselves too much, but that people online complain about it to them. Much like Dan, when he said twitter or whatever pointed it out to him.

Odd that you think performers keep track of the weird or loud laughers in the room though. Maybe people like you made Dan self conscious about it so he's sensitive to it now. In fact wasn't there another episode where they confront a loud laugher and he says he's there all the time but was sitting in a different seat that day?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm biased since I love the Doughboys podcast, but they need to be on more. They got off to a bit of a nervous, slow start but really kicked into full gear for the improv.

Either that or more UCB improv people, I loving love that improv is the new Shadowrun, it's the best. Not that there's a lack of improv podcasts, but they have a really fun style with Dan and his writer-background setups and Jeff with short-form experience adding his quick bits.

I haven't listened to their podcast before, mostly because I feel it would lead me down a fatter road, but this episode was great. Best improv they've done in a long time, though I felt bad for the audience member since she just didn't know what to do. Luckily the improvisers set it up perfectly so that she was never the main focus of a scene.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Totally should've cited that joke, Copyright WolfCool c/o Calvin and Hobbes enterprises

It's ok Goldberg, it was nice to see you back for the 200th. In another 200 you'll have hotter Qs (quiz).

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wank posted:

I think Dan does it just to take the pressure off thinking of new material. But boy did that discussion sound like the lunch room in my software development company. I just started subscribing to watch it. Has anyone literally just rushed the stage like that Molly girl did before?

Jeff was the one inviting people up, but that Molly girl came up because they inadvertently told people to come up (in a way that attention seekers would think was an invitation).

I didn't mind it at first, but the end bit just didn't work because the guys didn't understand what was funny to Dan about them talking to each other. I would've been fine with less audience members, but it was still good. It was basically a town hall meeting episode. I would've preferred a Goldberg, at least he had an agenda/opinion when he'd storm the stage.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CPColin posted:

This thread is crawling with Nidoran!

Spencer is truly the advanced internet user we need and want.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Brocktoon posted:

Jesus Christ, I hear enough about loving Pokemon everywhere I go, I don't need it on Harmontown, too.

Ugh, I too hate things that people like! Where do I sign up for the hipster newsletter to know when I should start hating things?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

I use to like Andy dick sorta, but after I heard the backstory about him and hartmans wife I'm kinda torn.

The backstory is basically his wife wanted to party, and Andy Dick partied with her, and somehow everyone blames her going crazy on Andy. It really makes no sense, it's not like he forced her to do drugs with him.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Contributing to a recovering addicts relapse, and that relapse ending in a murder/suicide lands somewhere on the spectrum of responsibility.

Addicts relapse, it's just what happens. But also drugs don't make you into a suicidal murderer, that's all on her. Lots of people do drugs and don't end up dead. If your argument is to never do drugs, well, I guess you're welcome to that point of view. But my point of view is that people will self medicate in whatever way they can. It's probably not healthy to have enablers around you when you're self destructing but that's just how it works when you're on that path. It could've been anyone that she did drugs with, I'd bet Andy Dick wasn't the only one, it isn't anyone's responsibility except their own to ensure their own mental well being.

If you've ever shared a drink with someone who then went on to drunk drive and hurt themselves, property or someone else do you take the burden of responsibility?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

He literally went up to Jon Lovitz, wiggled his fingers in front of his face, then said "I'm casting the Phil Hartman curse on you. You will be killed by your wife." Then he bragged about getting her re-addicted to drugs by, quote, "putting cocaine on my dick".

Also, Andy Dick is (in)famous in Hollywood circles for basically Bill Cosby-ing other people - usually males - by getting them high off drugs he supplies then feeling them up in an incapacitated state.

You basically know absolutely nothing about why everyone blames Andy Dick for Brynn Hartman's murder-suicide. He did everything short of handing her a loaded gun, has displayed zero remorse for his actions even years afterwards, and most gallingly bragged about it as if he was some sort of Reaper-esque figure. He's a total and complete fuckhead of the highest order.

I've heard the stories, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an apologist for him. I think it's pretty clear he's an rear end in a top hat who probably doesn't deserve the minute amount of success he's had in his career. I'm just pointing out that he didn't cause anyone's death, no more than anyone else who was partying with her (or those people) at the time.

Just because he was mean to Jon Lovitz (who is also a huge rear end in a top hat btw), and bragged about putting cocaine on his dick, doesn't mean he did anything even close to "handing her a loaded gun". Also he's definitely a terrible person for taking advantage of people, and it is a travesty that he hasn't served time for his sex crimes.

That being said, I just don't think it's reasonable to blame him for something that he didn't do. I think mental illness is at play in all of this, and it's just unfortunate that these people came together and made bad decisions all around. I feel sorry for everyone involved, I just don't think it's right to throw blame around just because you don't like someone. Also personally if I were to condemn Andy Dick for his role I'd have to condemn people in my life who are good friends who have had Andy Dickish behavior during and after tragic events. People who are sober now and who have worked to change their lives for the better, I don't think those people are at fault either just because they were making bad choices at the same time.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 14, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

nerve posted:

what a weird thing to take a stand on

I don't think it's weird to show compassion and have empathy for people who've made mistakes in their life who are seemingly trying to make better choices now.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

If you heard the stories then you can't go it "makes no sense" that he'd be blamed for Brynn Hartman's murder/suicide when he has literally taken credit for Brynn Hartman's murder-suicide.

I killed the jews!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So I just finished Harmonquest and immediately fell in love with it and want to dive into Harmontown. Any recommendations of where to start?

The first recorded podcast episode is when Spencer shows up, so that might be a good place.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Holy poo poo last episode made up for the last two before that and then some.

I wish they had a live band all the time.

What was wrong with the last two and then some? Personally I thought the NY episodes were great, Spencer did a great job as comptroller.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I liked them, the EMT dude was pretty charming and it was an interesting topic to learn a bit about.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

episode 232: "Coming soon, the return of D&D!"

episode 233: Dan raps for two hours

They never said it would be D&D, Dan was role playing as a rapper and Jeff was a spot on gnome the whole episode.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I used to enjoy Dan's political rants. They were short, and Jeff and Spencer would give him poo poo for his uninformed rambling. But since Trump became president it feels like every episode has an hour of Dan rambling on about race and the state of the country and Jeff occasionally chiming in to agree that yes, this is a very scary time.

I like it, we need more people talking about this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Ali Aces posted:

Yes if there's one thing missing in the US right now it's people ranting about politics

I agree, people aren't doing enough.