Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I didn't really get the ending :smith:

Racist bug manga translated another volume:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Terra-ForMars/Vol-007-Ch-053--MASTER--Men?id=181859

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chas McGill posted:

Finished Rock'n'Roll Ricky last night. Thought it was OK. The main threads of boxing and fatherhood work well, yet I didn't get much of a feel for most of the other characters aside from Ricky himself. It was nice to actually finish a manga rather than read up until a translated point and then have to wait indefinitely, though.

Yeah. The artist had to rush the ending because it was getting cancelled. Shame really, I thought they did a good job with it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I've been sort of scrounging for Seinen picks lately since I'm up to date with everything (especially given how slow some of these series are uploaded), sort of unwisely going into the unexplored wilderness that exists outside of goon recommendations. There's a lot of really loved series that get recommended that I've never been able to get into, mostly because of art style, like Cesare and Dorohedoro (this is also true of older manga so old that it shows in the visual style and Nihei manga, it's shallow of me but I can't help it, I'll push through them at some point when I'm desperate enough for something to read).
There's also a bunch of really lauded series I keep "meaning to" get into but have never stuck (for some reason I dropped out of Soil and can't ever get too far through Akumetsu). I did at least finally take the dive into Otoyomegatari and it was obviously worthwhile, though that's a story for the historical manga thread.
I also read National Quiz, really fell in love with the humor and art style but drat that ending was pretty anti-climactic and abrupt.
Mostly been picking at scraps. Montage seems promising and I've finally caught up to Himizu and bookmarked it (the guy's other manga Boku to Issho has to be my favorite comedy series of all time).
I did just find a series I think is particularly promising, though I was initially unsure whether it was technically seinen since if it were I would have assumed I'd hear about it in one of these Seinen threads here already. Not sure what magazine it's published in, it's got some Shounen vibes sometimes but Seinen brutality (and at times) depth. At the very least I found myself rapidly hooked and interested in the first couple chapters, something that rarely happens when I'm picking through Seinen scraps.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu

I just started on Montage as well after realizing it was the guy that did Rock n Roll Ricky. Go read that if you haven't.

Otherwise I've been enjoying:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hito-Hitori-Futari
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Until-Death-Do-Us-Part
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Team-Medical-Dragon

I guess just check the synopses on these and see if they strike your fancy. I don't like the stuff that is just trying to be gore all the time, or just outright sex and fanservice constantly. The above don't really go too far into either of those and I've liked them.

The synopsis for Hito Hitori Futari doesn't do it justice, makes it sound like some shounen school story and it's anything but. It's more political intrigue and a lot about Fukushima now etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

I love Until Death Do Us Part and keep up with it religiously, but the plot starts to really meander after a couple of guys get introduced as crossovers from other manga. I like them and ended up reading what I could find translated of their manga though.

Ha. I did the same thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oh Snapalope posted:

I'm really excited for the Sidonia anime. The second trailer looks really awesome. I'm sad now that I just finished all of Nihei's stuff. I want more damnit!

Could you either PM or link the trailers? Can't find anything on youtube.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

UberJumper posted:

My friend is lending me bezerk next week, and someone recommended me Ants (spelling? i cannot find anything about it).

Ugh... Gantz...

I don't know that it's even worth the disappointment. Started good, had a few good moments buried here and there in the series and then ended stupidly. I guess if you were gonna just marathon it all at once it would be tolerable, but I'd put it to the bottom of the pile.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

While not very Dark and Grim, Planetes is pretty good sci-fi with a good story. Same author as Vinland Saga. I liked both a lot though, so you might not be as keen on it either, but it's easy enough to try a few chapters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

UberJumper posted:

I am still enjoying it, i only have i think 40 odd chapters to go left. There are a bunch of plot holes that i don't really get.

The invasion was kind unexpected. :staredog:

One thing i don't get at all, is the sheer amount of hand waving that goes on:

- Kurono dies, and is revived and nobody seems to notice/care.
- Tae dies, and was dead for awhile and even her mother seems completely fine with the fact that she just randomly re-appeared.
- The vampires just kind of disappered? They hate Gantz, and no real explanation is given for that.
- If they can teleport people aboard the alien ship why not just teleport a nuke?
- Kurono's brother is mentioned a couple of times and shown to be a vampire, then he just kind of disappears?
- Okay, so Gantz machine can clone a bunch of people. So why not just take the strongest fighter and clone hundreds of him?

You've pretty much perfectly distilled the Gantz thread up to the point you're at.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Except I'm pretty sure we totally do see what happens to Kurono's brother, right? Unless he's just not there in the story yet? He's gotta be if he's at the invasion. Gantz is such a vague fading disappointing memory for me now.

Thought his brother got killed by the vampires?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You were warned! :colbert:

Now go read Planetes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Is that a manga-ka worth exploring? Which series? I'm afraid I don't think I've heard of them before.

YKK as mentioned. Kabu no Isaki was good too but the ending confused me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I... guess it's slice of life? If that life took place in some strange postapocalypse like scenario.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elite posted:

Is the Gantz manga better than the Gantz anime? I watched a few episodes of the anime and wasn't impressed.

For the 1st 2 arcs or so. Then, not at all. Honestly it was one of the more disappointing mangas I've read mainly because I started on it when it was relatively new and followed it the entire way through.

Read it if you're bored and don't have anything else to read I guess, otherwise eh...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

RatHat posted:

Perfect, I can skip Part 3 then. I always find mahjong confusing.

Read Legend of Koizumi for a primer.

:v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ended up binging this, pretty interesting although it took a while for it to get going. However if he forgives the chef guy I don't think I could continue with it. Kid is way too gullible even for an anime character, especially for one that's supposed to be 18! Which speaking of he looks way too young in my opinion.

Are there any other good manga about someone being sort of tossed into the "bad guy" role/side? Modern is a plus.

Maybe Ikigami but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tomanton posted:

Any sports buffs following Last Inning?

Saitama Private Academy's baseball club won Koshien 30 years ago, but has fallen to a shadow of its former self and faces disbandment when the school's parent company eyeballs its baseball field as good land for condos. They're given a one-year stay of execution on the condition the club reach Koshien in that time - a tall order, considering they're worthless - but the desperate principal recruits the best man for the job, in the form of a brilliant but controversial former team captain who's since become a swindling salesman. He's big on sabermetrics, mind games, and generally anything that can make the impossible possible.

It's all tropes you've seen before (did I mention the coach pretends to hate baseball, and initially refuses the job??) but the author's combination of hot-blooded baseball and cold-blooded moneyball hits all the right notes and the tension in the games is nail-biting.

I had posted this too a couple months back. Been following it for 2 years or so now and it's been consistently enjoyable. Definitely recommend checking it out if you remotely like sports manga. Not fanservicey either which is nice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Shame, since I like the art and the concept a lot. I can definitely detect a downward trend, though.

It's a tough one but it's short enough that I'd say just power through. You might enjoy the rest.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fist of the North Banker updated again.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Misappropriation-Investigator-Nakabo-Rintaro/Vol-001-Ch-003-Read-Online?id=191458

He sure has a thing about his parents...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nerdz posted:

So this is the new manga by the Gantz guy. I wonder how quickly this one will jump the shark, though the first chapter caught my attention. Breaking Alien? Breaking Bot?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Inu-Yashiki/Ch-001--Various-Lives?id=193133

Haha I like the idea of where this might go. Hope he doesn't go off the rails with it like Gantz.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

coathat posted:

To be fair anything they gantz guy writes is bound to be a thousand time worse than inuyasha.

There's more archeological adventure in the latest installment of The Legandary Musings of Professor Munakata.
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/the-legendary-musings-of-professor-munakata-r11095

Did Inuyasha finally end though? At least they put Gantz out of its misery.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Misappropriation-Investigator-Nakabo-Rintaro/Vol-001-Ch-005-Read-Online?id=193167

Fist of the North Banker updated again. Still pretty awesome.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

So I just started reading a lot of stuff I think you would classify as Seinen? For Urasawa I've finished Pluto and have the first three volumes of 20th Century Boys. From Tezuka I've got Dororo, Apollo's song, the first volume of Buddha(haven't read it yet), and I've read the first 4 or 5 of Black Jack. I'm not sure if these would be classified as Shonen or not but I've also got all of the Shigeru Mizuki books that Drawn and Quarterly put out, and have really enjoyed Showa: History of Japan and Onwards Toward Our Noble Deaths. I also picked up the first two volumes of Keiji Nakazawa's Barefoot Gen. I've been really enjoying reading about WW2 era Japan from the Japanese perspective. Do you guys have any recommendations of other manga based on that subject? Is this even the right thread?

Not the wrong place but try this thread with your request also:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791799

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm way late to this, but huh? Did we read the same manga?

Joe gets everything he wants. Yeah, he dies, but he dies smiling in the process of the literal greatest achievement of his life, fighting the best boxer in the world to a standstill. If I remember correctly, it's even implied that he knew he was probably not going to survive the match and deliberately went out on top. How is that even remotely on the level of something like Grave of the Fireflies?

Probably because it's a waste. Joe willingly walks into his death pushed by his own tenacity when everyone, even himself, realizes he just doesn't have to do it. Comparing an individual tragedy vs a larger one is complicated, but both are quite sad, one dealing with senseless indiscriminate death, another with a very specific possibly misguided death.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I want to read a manga Dark Souls: the world is a twisted reflection of a once-great civilisation, the protagonist barely survives each chapter, there are hosed up monsters and treacherous people. But there should also be beauty and weirdness. Berserk and Dorohedoro fit parts of the bill, but they're too... noisy.

Using examples from western comics - I really loved The City by James Herbert, illustrated by Ian Miller. It's about a man who returns to a ruined baroque city in ruins and finds it infested with monstrous rats. I last read it in the mid 90s, so my memory is fuzzy, but it had a lonely vibe that is exactly what I fancy reading in between sessions of Dark Souls 2. A lot of John Blanche's art for Fighting Fantasy stuff fits too. That might be why I love Dorohedoro so much.

Edit: I want a manga with scenes like this:
http://i.imgur.com/k3gVl.jpg

Blame! and Biomega (and probably everything else by Nihei Tsutomu) should be up your alley.

http://kissmanga.com/AuthorArtist/Nihei-Tsutomu

That Works fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 30, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Reiche posted:

I read Blame! not too long ago and it was my first manga by Nihei. Was I not supposed to really understand anything? I mean, I loved the story and all but I still feel confused and lost about it.

Hah! Yeah I was pretty lost through it as well, still kinda made sense but it does need a re-read.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:stare: ok then. Had that one bookmarked but not anymore

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fist of the North Banker updated again.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Misappropriation-Investigator-Nakabo-Rintaro/Vol-001-Ch-007-Read-Online?id=195768

Features a trip to the Caymans and a man breaking his own crutches to try and stab another man

Owns.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The stealing of a fire truck and running it through a building to assassinate someone was pretty :black101: though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fair enough.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

The final batch of Hito Hitori Futari chapters went up

I personally thought this series was pretty great and ended in just about the right way as well. Worth a look if you haven't tried it yet.

I guess I'm a fan of the artwork mostly. The story itself was interesting, not terribly deep, but not bad either.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I really like the art in this and the story is also pretty interesting, but it's kind of annoying that the big issue he's pushing for is denuclearization and decreasing corporate taxes.

Didn't this same guy also write some story about these two brothers who learned to sword-fight and became involved in resistance to foreign involvement in Japan in the 19th century?

I guess I didn't mind it. Seemed like it was mostly just focused around the Fukushima incident and that's a hell of a flashpoint politically and it fits the story and the characters very nicely. To me there wasn't like some huge nationalistic vibe to it, not like a ridiculous one or anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Eh, still can't be worse than starting and powering through Berserk. :v:

That's ok though because after 3-4 years you'll have forgotten some of it and get to do it all over again and pick up 7-8 new chapters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Squidster posted:

I've been reading Immortal Hounds and enjoying it, and then someone recommended Aijn to me on the grounds that it has a very similar premise. How can such similar concepts end up with such varying degrees of quality? Immortal Hounds isn't perfect, but Aijn is just really, really terrible.

They share a number of scenes, similar cold-eyed hardass protagonists, but everything in Aijn reeks of too cool for school shonen E-xtr33m3ness. The protagonist Kei Nagai has basically no agency in his own comic. He has no motivations and no interests, and even his one piece of uniqueness - that he was kinda sorta sometimes sympathetic to humans - was trumped by an actually noble Aijn who was discarded a scene later. Nobody cares about anybody or anything, and all the Aijn are indistinguishably selfish bastards. Was the pitch for this comic "Immortal Space Ayn Rands invade, and we can get rid of them?" I would still chainsaw my way across a puppy minefield to be able to draw that well, but I wish the artist was paired with someone who was better at planning poo poo.

Immortal Hounds has a tendency to lean into melodrama, but the bizarre weirdness to the world and the screwball romance comedy that seems to be kicking in has got my attention.
Both series have a lot of consequence-free violence, but the violence in Aijn makes me feel lovely and root for all the characters to die in a fire. The violence in Hounds is generally almost comedic, but carries pathos when an actual vector death occurs.

Interestingly, Aijn is almost entirely devoid of female characters. There’s a sister ( sickly, kidnapped, hateful ) and an assassin secretary ( demure, deadly, immortal ), but no women who aren’t just bystanders. Immortal Hounds, on the other hand, has multiple female main characters, but dresses them up in highschool uniforms for no particular reason. It’s clearly some kind of fetish thing, but at least the characters wearing them have emotional weight and agency within the story.

Edit: But seriously, read Immortal Hounds.

I believe aijn had a change of authors midway through. Agreed with your sentiments and also recommend Immortal Hounds.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hopefully midway through the contest the head chef just walks in and cans a couple of people.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

Did they stop translating All Rounder Meguru or what? That was the best martial arts manga i've read and ... nothing or little forever

Same for Teppu

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Is The Heroic Legend of Arslan any good?

I mean the books were by the LoGH guy and the manga is by Arakawa so it should be great, but I never hear anyone talk about it so I kinda figure it might be a case where two good things just don't mix together well?

It's good but the story has barely begun and the slow release times are keeping it that way. Probably would be something awesome to marathon through a year from now or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pentyne posted:

Hey, its a new Bambino Secondo!

http://mangapark.com/manga/bambino-secondo-sekiya-tetsuji/s2/v2/c22/1

In which the front of house staff, people who don't cook nor have highly develop palates, end up narrowly choosing the other guy making Ban feel like a moron. "Oh, I'm wrong" even after people at his level or superior have backed his decisions on the food, yet we need a scene of other chef stealing food to progress the plot? Quick question, why the gently caress did Ban expect the front of house to be experts on food and cuisine such that they could pick the best risotto? In his own words the other guy does a good job but not to the same level as the Baccanale, so how would waiters be able to know that difference?

gently caress this series, it's taken a food driven interesting series into some banal paint by numbers "an enemy appears" series, and every more towards resolving it just circles the waters, I half expect the "Ban accuses other chef of theft" to take up 5+ chapters because no one believes him because he's sore from losing.

He's taking a box that looks exactly like the ballot box from the competition. I got that it was implied that he was rigging the vote....

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Like every time I remember Bambino I keep reading the new chapters of Secundo because hey maybe it gets better and no it's like...really really bad. Like not even just bad in a typical way like say the series going on too long and becoming boring/pointless filler/meandering or just having a nonsense arc or inexplicably changing genres or whatever

it's just really bad. Like pretty much unreadably bad.

It's sad because I like the guys artwork a lot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shamo has another translated volume up.

But tends to be massively loving annoying because the two brothers in this arc are about the dumbest and most irritating characters in the series yet. Seriously I am only looking forward to them dying in some ultraviolence to make up for this crap. All the parts not involving them in the volume are pretty cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's happening in Bambino that's dumb?

Making a Secondo