Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bunch of new I Am A Hero chapters, pretty awesome.
I think we're returning to the main protagonist after this? Not sure if the shut-in protagonist died or got defeated, but it was pretty epic and hilarious watching the great Battle of the Naked Emperors.
RIP Emperor Two Shovels. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Silento posted:

This has a pretty interesting first (and second?) chapter: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/ib-Instant-Bullet/Ch-001a--Hero-and-Villian?id=174870 I'm curious where it will go from here.
I tried giving that a chance, but once I read the first chapter and realized it was the millionth "magical girl shows up out of nowhere to enlist guy in her battle against a dark force" manga, I was just like "NO MORE!". I'm not sure I can handle any more of those, only like .01% of them end up being Hoshi no Samidare quality (and I'm not even sure that fits since it's a lizard that shows up).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Does Akumetsu ever get past:

I'M SUDDENLY IN YOUR BATHROOM RIGHT NOW, PRESIDENT OBAMA
YOU WON'T SPEAK TO ME? WELL LOOK AT THIS TAPE OF YOU KILLING TEN ORPHANS
HOW DID I GET THAT? I HAD A SECRET CAMERA FILMING YOU IN YOUR UNDERGROUND BUNKER, THAT'S HOW, NOW LISTEN TO ME LECTURE YOU ON POLITICS!

Are those really badass moments? They don't feel like it to me, everything's always just so convenient and already in place without any demonstration of struggle or planning.
I'm trying to trudge through it but it's honestly feeling pretty tedious and not-badass to me, and the political proselytizing makes me sort of uneasy. Like how can those be crowning moments of badass when he's always got access to where he needs to be and always has that special edge he needs to blow the enemy's mind. I know that's a common thing in manga, but it's somehow never felt as hollow and unexciting as with Akumetsu. It's still really repetitive where I am in the manga.
I'm not even sure it's better than Wolf Guy. Like, it's definitely better in the sense that it's missing all the GIANT TITS and RAPE RAPE stuff, but other than that when it just comes to the writing and characters it feels about the same so far. I feel like I enjoyed the early Smugwolf moments more than Akumetsu just happening to be able to get wherever he needs to be and get whatever edge he needs to have so we have like a bunch more pages of old guys with shocked faces as he crashes out of the broom closet in their penthouse suite or whatever.

It feels like Sakamoto desu ga? except it takes itself seriously and isn't entertaining or funny. New chapter of that, by the way.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sakamoto-desu-ga/Vol-002-Ch-006-Read-Online?id=176801

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 11, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Sort of. And I don't even really enjoy it for the politic talk because it's stuff I've heard before, but more of an interesting tale about "guy gets superpowers, decides to be a "hero" in the loosest and most extreme sense of the word, does crazy poo poo while enacting his plot while the rest of the country desperately tries to figure him out" such as the Countach race, the Rock Band, and Batman-Akumetsu. It's also got pretty drat great art.

What chapter are you on? It starts to get into some other things later on, and also starts to question if Akumetsu's actions will actually have any notable effect.
I'll keep pressing forward then, I am admittedly only on like chapter 35.

In terms of manga recommendations to Chas, reading Vinland Saga is definitely a good idea (Vagabond is an excellent historical series as well). And if you enjoyed Solanin then move on to Oyasumi Punpun for sure, Inio Asano is great. And if you haven't read either of Hitoshi Iwaaki's great series Parasyte or Historie, you definitely should.

I'd just add...

If you're into really surreal manga you may also want to try the crazy climbing manga Kokou no Hito, the early chapters may not hint at it but it becomes a hell of a ride and you don't have to be into the subject matter to dig it or anything.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kokou-No-Hito

And personally my favorite Seinen manga-ka is Jiro Matsumoto, he doesn't get much mention here but he's a really surreal and creative manga-ka who has done a few intense and moving one-shots and series. Things can get artistically obscene with him but it never becomes a creepy turnoff or fanservice as it may with manga-ka like the Wolf Guy/Akumetsu dude.
I'd try giving Uncivilized Planet and Freesia a chance.
http://mangafox.me/manga/uncivilized_planet/
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Freesia

In terms of ongoing Seinen with potential that I'm enjoying right now, I'd name stuff like Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Destroy and Revolution, Suicide Island, Jigoku no Alice, and Spirit Circle.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 12, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

I probably shouldn't have read this right before bed. It's purestrain melancholy. But also really good.
Right? Some of the visuals Jiro Matsumoto brings to the plate are just amazing. It's one of my personal favorites.

If you liked that, Freesia and Tropical Citron are two more series of his. Both pretty surreal and intense. I also really liked his collections of short story manga, like Keep on Vibrating and A Revolutionist in the Afternoon. He's got a new ongoing series (at least I think it's new) set in the post-apocalypse, Jigoku no Alice, that is fairly decent right now but I'm not quite sure if it's going to reach the heights of some of his other full-length series, we'll see I guess.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 12, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New chapter of Jiro Matsumoto's current series Jigoku no Alice. Shuu sorta snaps. :v:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Jigoku-no-Alice/Vol-002-Ch-011--The-War-Broke-Out-Again---?id=177055

Edit:
Woah, I don't know if there's still a Shamo thread or if we discuss it here, but it's definitely picking up again. Those are some crazy new chapters.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 13, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Liar Game's cool but it feels like it just does variations of poker too often, I really prefer the cool innovative strategy games like that smuggling one they did and the musical chairs conquest game.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

There was something about the local Mayor pushing a pro-parasyte agenda yet being parasyte free himself, and the protagonist fighting a guy with 5 parasytes in him and gently caress I can't remember anything besides it being badass as hell
Yeah, I'm surprised there seems to be some ho-humming about Parasyte up in here, I seem to remember it as a pretty awesome series.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
To whoever recommended Natsunokumo earlier, I'm really enjoying it. It sort of takes that basic "WE'RE IN AN MMO RPG" thing that more typical series like .hack and SAO do but with some actually interesting well-thought out concepts.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Natsunokumo

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 30, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

After reading a bunch of josei recently*, I want something to redress the balance. What are some good cyberpunk/near-future mangas with a dark outlook? I'm planning on trying Akira already, and I didn't particularly like the manga version of GitS. Blame is on my list as well.

*I made the opposite of this post a few weeks ago in the other thread.
Hmmm, I was contemplating this over the list of manga I'm currently following...I guess I don't really read much sci-fi...Jigoku no Alice is cool but that's more of a post-apocalyptic grim future than a cyberpunk grim future. I think Dimension W seems sorta promising (it's not like, blowing me away or anything) though it may not be cyberpunk or dark enough in terms of what you're looking for (though they do live in an ominous and lovely world with advanced tech).
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dimension-W

Ytlaya posted:

Natsu no kumo is really great; the art is amazing. I think that series about the tsundere girl (Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru) is by the same guy.
Ah yeah, I totally didn't connect the dots at all, I was reading both without registering they were from the same guy. Surprisingly while I'm eating up Natsu no kumo, I've barely got any interest in the tsundere series of his since I'm not really that interested in manga tropes to enjoy a deconstruction of them or whatever. I hope Natsu no kumo is still being updated, looking at the past chapter release dates on Kissmanga it's sorta inconsistent and worrying.

Suben posted:

I think most of Mozuya-san's problem is the translation. Like I get what's happening and what the characters are saying but the translation is so overly literal and stiff and wordy that nothing about it flows naturally and it winds up becoming a slog where you have to re-read things just to get what's going on. That's not really on the series itself (I like the general premise of "anime character in the real world") but on the people working on it. Maybe the translation crew aren't native English speakers or something, I dunno.
Yeah, I think this is probably a major part of me not connecting with it as well, maybe a central reason since perhaps I'd be more interested in the concept if it were delivered better dialogue-wise.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 2, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hah, not sure if people are reading the continuation of Aiki, Aiki-S, but it's already getting pretty amusing. Really can't ever have enough smug douche Joukyuu.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Aiki-S/Ch-003-Read-Online?id=181179
BULL THE INFINITE! PROSTRATE YOURSELF IN FRONT OF THE GOD!
Poor Bull. :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hah, reading the new AIKI-S chapter suddenly made me picture Joukyuu appearing in Liar Game.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Aiki-S/Ch-004-Read-Online?id=181857

Anyone read Space Brothers/Uchuu Kyoudai? I've been giving it a try, I guess it's okay. Seems pretty light and forgettable, but I guess it is mainly intended as slice of life/comedy. It just doesn't feel like any real dramatic obstacles have actually been posted to be overcome and it's kind of lacking any tension or depth or reason to keep reading. I mean, yeah, the protagonist gets nervous sometimes but mostly it's just like YEAH YOU'RE AN ASTRONAUT NOW and YEAH WE'RE ON THE MOON NOW. Nothing interesting for the characters to overcome or deal with yet, but I guess I'll keep reading.
It would be good to find some solid space Seinen, Planetes was cool and I swear I remember another "astronauts in training" manga (with younger protagonists) being thrown around these parts but maybe it stopped being scanned and uploaded.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 16, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've been sort of scrounging for Seinen picks lately since I'm up to date with everything (especially given how slow some of these series are uploaded), sort of unwisely going into the unexplored wilderness that exists outside of goon recommendations. There's a lot of really loved series that get recommended that I've never been able to get into, mostly because of art style, like Cesare and Dorohedoro (this is also true of older manga so old that it shows in the visual style and Nihei manga, it's shallow of me but I can't help it, I'll push through them at some point when I'm desperate enough for something to read).
There's also a bunch of really lauded series I keep "meaning to" get into but have never stuck (for some reason I dropped out of Soil and can't ever get too far through Akumetsu). I did at least finally take the dive into Otoyomegatari and it was obviously worthwhile, though that's a story for the historical manga thread.
I also read National Quiz, really fell in love with the humor and art style but drat that ending was pretty anti-climactic and abrupt.
Mostly been picking at scraps. Montage seems promising and I've finally caught up to Himizu and bookmarked it (the guy's other manga Boku to Issho has to be my favorite comedy series of all time).
I did just find a series I think is particularly promising, though I was initially unsure whether it was technically seinen since if it were I would have assumed I'd hear about it in one of these Seinen threads here already. Not sure what magazine it's published in, it's got some Shounen vibes sometimes but Seinen brutality (and at times) depth. At the very least I found myself rapidly hooked and interested in the first couple chapters, something that rarely happens when I'm picking through Seinen scraps.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 24, 2013

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
poo poo hitting the fan in the new chapter of Boku wa Mari no Naka. :suspense:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 22, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Except I'm pretty sure we totally do see what happens to Kurono's brother, right? Unless he's just not there in the story yet? He's gotta be if he's at the invasion. Gantz is such a vague fading disappointing memory for me now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Yeah i finished Gantz, and :negative:

What a huge let down. THE SHIP IS GOING TO CRASH INTO EARTH! Oh it just randomly explodes. Super aliens show up, tell the humans they gave them the weapons/power/gantz. gently caress.

To me it felt that the author just got sick of the series, and just wanted to end it the fastest possible way.
Yeah, I remember there was a time I really enjoyed Gantz even though it was always a bit too cheeseball/fanservice-y for my typical taste, but at this point it's a shame to say it's definitely a series I wouldn't bother recommending to a single person just because the first good chunk of the series is at this point totally outweighed by everything in the second half.
It feels like a series that definitely peaked and climaxed and hit certain points that felt like natural endings, like when a movie feels like it should have ended already but keeps going for twenty more minutes and keep having those moments you think would have been perfect points to end. I remember that major boss battle in the city where they finally get seen by people or whatever (it's so vague and feels like a million years ago at this point) was one of those for me. Was that the "Oni mission"? I don't even know, but it felt like the series should've ended well before all the stupid invasions and foreign Gantz teams and THE TRUTH BEHIND GANTZ reveals.
Still, all things considered I kinda liked Cherry's arc through it all.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 24, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is that a manga-ka worth exploring? Which series? I'm afraid I don't think I've heard of them before.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah, I remember that mentioned. Series with the "slice of life" label tend to turn me off since it's not typically my thing but I'll have to give it a shot anyway just because of the constant appreciation it gets here.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Shin Angyo Onshi, Berserk, Vinland Saga...all classic.

I'd also add Freesia, Vagabond, maybe Hoshi no Samidare or Holyland if they seem appealing to you flavor-wise.

Lately I've been enjoying Tokyo Ghoul and Kingdom a lot...Boku dake ga Inai Machi is also pretty good so far even though I wish it'd get updated faster.

edit: oh hey look I summoned a new chapter with my frustration http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-dake-ga-Inai-Machi/Ch-019--Last-Chance--February-1988?id=186949
Oh snap, poo poo just got real.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 1, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone else into Minoru Furuya, incidentally? I've been reading Himizu, it's alright, a bit aimless and nihilistic at times but worth the read. It's finally being updated semi-regularly, it seems-
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Himizu
Though Boku to Issho has to be my favorite comedy manga series ever. The faces are just so great, I feel like I've actually reread it a couple times, it's just that hilarious.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-to-Issho

I gave Gate a try but it really didn't stick, little too cornball and not enough for it to come out the other end and be appealing. That randomly reminds me of that one late fantasy Roman Empire manga that looked really promising (despite some adult/creepo elements). Looks like it's listed as shounen which seems sorta bizarre, maybe that's just the publication it was in, definitely doesn't feel like something one would call shounen. Not sure if it got canceled or if the people in charge of scanlation dropped it.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hishintan-Vita-Arcana

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 1, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone reading All You Need Is Kill? I just started and it seems sorta promising, I think the artist of Death Note and Bakuman is involved. Anyway it's from the light novel currently being adapted into a Tom Cruise sci-fi action movie (Edge of Tomorrow). Feels like it's basically Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers (sans any of the humor of either, of course).

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

It's licensed and running in US Shonen Jump, incidentally.
Really? I had no idea. Should I remove the Kissmanga link? It's listed as Seinen and definitely has a more brutal Seinen feel to it so that's pretty surprising (though obviously the lines blur and sometimes depend arbitrarily on what you're published in).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I get what some of you guys mean with getting less and less interested in Ajin, something made worse by the slow scanlating rate...but I do definitely recognize it as a series that looks like it's worth hanging onto regardless. I especially got a hint of that in the latest chapter, things are getting interesting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Either way with Ajin, which I might just continue following in the near future just to see how things shake out, I think we have a much better similar sort of story unfolding with Tokyo Ghoul (character is a special "other" who is being hunted down by the government and is now unwillingly thrust into the world of these non-human beings).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well, I guess that was the last chapter of Himizu. Felt pretty rushed and eh.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Himizu/Vol-004-Ch-043--Fool?id=188449

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm sort of baffled by this supposed "trap" in Yuureitou, which I'm still reading for god knows what reason...

Can't you guys just...wait until it gets low enough (since the ceiling is slowly going down) and get on the chair one by one and climb up into the next level? :downs: I guess maybe not everyone could climb out in time, but still...

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 4, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Well, assuming the chair gives you maybe two feet of elevation and the concrete slab is say, five feet thick (reasonable estimate from the illustration), that'd leave someone standing on the chair more than enough room to climb out once the slab had fully lowered, yet make it nearly impossible to actually climb out while the slab was still coming down.
Yeah, actually that makes a lot of sense now looking at it closer. :saddowns: I was trying to figure out in my head if maybe they could just boost each other up and into the next level at some point and maybe at least half of them could get through or something, but I guess they'll be too busy fighting each other anyway. We'll see, I guess. Yuureitou got pretty weird and meh a while back but I'm still following it for some reason, probably because I laughed pretty hard at the "DAUGHTER, COME AWAY WITH ME TO THIS NEW PARADISE KNOWN AS NORTH KOREA!" part a little bit back. Still following Team Medical Dragon, which is alright. I sorta like the guy's art style, I think.

Toukyou Kushu's been pretty good lately, at least.

Now that's a passionate gourmet. :)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 4, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

furiouskoala posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of that series, you ought to give it a read. It can be a bit uneven but on the whole it is an excellent manga. Some of the best characterization of any manga I have read.
Agreed. There are definitely weird and uneven parts with Homunculus but overall it's a series that is definitely worth the read.

p.s. to whoever recommended Crime and Punishment, hot pick, it's really awesome so far.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 13, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New chapters of Crime and Punishment, if you're not reading it...well, you should be. It's pretty great so far.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Crime-And-Punishment

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New Destroy and Revolution...
:jihad::nyoron:

These terrorist animez have crossed the line now! :argh: These colors don't run! :911:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I read Eden recently and the whole latter half of it had a really weird tone. It never completely abandoned the amazingly well done action, so I kept reading, but all the stuff with the colloid felt like a distraction imported from a completely different story.
I think I just wanted more Young Ganglord stories. :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

nerdz posted:

So this is the new manga by the Gantz guy. I wonder how quickly this one will jump the shark, though the first chapter caught my attention. Breaking Alien? Breaking Bot?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Inu-Yashiki/Ch-001--Various-Lives?id=193133
Highly recommended if you're into trembling old men

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

coathat posted:

There's a whole volume of a new Furuya Minoru manga. It's everything I wanted and more.

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/wanitokagegisu-r12132
Awesome, I quite like Furuya Minoru. Not sure how I felt about Himizu's ending, can't remember if I finished Ciguatera (might have to reread that), but Boku to Issho is hands down one of my favorite comedy manga ever.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 27, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Just caught myself up on Tokyo ghoul after not reading it for a few months. It really went off the deep end. That is some character development.
Yeah, wow, just caught up myself...those were some really dark and epic chapters...Tokyo Ghoul can be pretty silly at times but it's gotta be one of the most entertaining action manga I'm reading these days. See, this is how you do a protagonist personality change, Ajin.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trucutru posted:

Ahaha, YOU FOOL! One of the laws of manga is "do not Read Naoki Urusawa's works until they are over". You hosed up, you hosed up real good.
Eh, still can't be worse than starting and powering through Berserk. :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New AIKI-S :lol:

With guest artist, Kouto Hirano :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New bonecrushing chapters of Tokyo Ghoul. :magical:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mindblast posted:

While I don't mind action at all the tokyo ghoul premise felt like it was going to turn into something else. So yea that's a bit of a let down.
Yeah, well, I mean I'm even less interested in these ghoul-hunters and the tooootally waaacky character designs he keeps introducing for them so the last couple chapters have been a drag/a blur. Kinda preferred them when they were a faceless terror from the MC's perspective (other than the one guy we've been following), now I'm just like zzzzzzzzzz get back to the main story.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
welp goodbye Tokyo Ghoul. you were never a particularly good manga anyway, but I swear it feels like someone else took over the series at some point in the manga. dude just got tortured into having eight pack abs and goth nails and rad hair I guess and now the little girl character is starting to spout that ONI CHAN stuff and I'm just like PEACE. Like, it was never that nuanced but I swear she was just a normal little girl character and his emotions were way less hackneyed and teen girl fanfic and then it's like... :lol:

I can actually pinpoint the exact pages, it was perfect because suddenly the translations got fittingly lovely as the manga finally went full retard. Not that it was ever that great, but comparing this poo poo to the initial couple chapters is weird. finally i can stop reading this dumb manga, which is a good thing since I was barely grasping all the dumb plots and characters over the last 20 chapters or so.
Gotta catch up on Arslan Senki, Boys on the Run, Crime and Punishment, Destroy and Revolution, Montage, All Rounder Meguru, Sengoku Youko....wow even Shamo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nine of Eight posted:

I honestly think it may also have to do with the fact that whoever took over translating the series is Duwang level bad
Yeah, but I also think if the aforementioned chapters were perfectly translated they'd only be mildly less eyeroll-worthy. It really doesn't feel like the same series anymore.
But yeah, I gotta prioritize at this point and Tokyo Ghoul just doesn't really make the cut...