Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was a good club, too. Won 2nd place for its area during the festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ShadowCatboy posted:

Slight correction: out of the eight regional cuisines in China, Kuga specializes in Szechuan cooking which is known for its "ma la" flavor. The busty Chinese chick was just pissed that the other seven styles weren't represented.

Ah, kay kay. My memory's pretty hazy.

But that brings to mind another difference between Tsubasa and Kuga.

Tsubasa handles all the cooking himself, whereas Kuga has this whole troop of muscular baldies who follow his recipes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually while rereading the chapters I realized that I needed to revise my rankings.

1; Rindou
2: Alice
3: Hanako
4: Alice's Mom

Can't believe I forgot Hanako.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gwrtheyrn posted:

I can't remember anything to contradict it though. The only times I remember them talking about their graduation rates are in chapter 1, chapter 4, and whatever chapter they introduce the people at the training camp.

I think it's less about being contradictory and more about being hella outlandish.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ShadowCatboy posted:

Strange as it sounds, I'm almost never enticed by anything that Souma cooks. In fact, when it comes to shokugekis and other competitions I'm almost always more interested in tasting his opponents' dish:

Nikumi's meat blossom roti don with A5 beef seems way more exquisite than the Souma's Chaliapin steak don. Frankly I just want to try super expensive well-marbled aged beef.
Mimasaka's beef stew seems more refined than Souma's crazy beef amusement park stew... it seems like way too much and it strays a little too far from the western entree theme. Plus, I'm worried that Souma's cooking method for the tenderloin wouldn't suit it. That poo poo should be rare/mid-rare at the most.
Nakiri's sushi bento box... oh Jesus get in my mouf.
Aldini's Japanese-Italian fusion style seared duck breast... duck is one of my favorite meats so hell yeah.

Birds > Mammals > Non-Fish Seafood > Fish

I don't like fish.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NowonSA posted:

Nakiri's sushi box is the best dish ever shown in the manga, really just remarkable variety and presentation. It really proves that the scientific approach to cooking isn't just overthinking things.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furious Lobster posted:

Eizan's dish isn't really that special either and it's really quite funny that the judges are treating it as some super gourmet meal when it's just as commonplace as Soma's gyoza. It's just Hainan chicken and one can find it a bunch of different restaurants in most major cities making it.

Yeah but it's made by an Elite 10.
Bet the Hainan chicken in those restaurants aren't made by a fuckin' Elite 10 who's sole accomplishment is winning via bribery and losing to a non Elite 10.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How about no.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

KoB posted:

Soma wishes he was as good as Seo. Also please dont insult Waka that way.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Korean scans are out for the new chapter.

Holy loving poo poo this chapter.

Azami was a member of the dorm (3rd seat in his first year, and then 1st seat in his second year), and admired Souma's dad.

Also Souma tells Azami (and Erina happens to listen) to the fact that he's Jyoichiro's son.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

All of these loving truth bombs man, I'm dying at Souma's expression on the last page.

I'm glad it finally happened and utterly pleased at how it happened.

The thing about Azami idolizing Jyoichiro is a bit weird though. When I read the spoilers earlier today I was sure it was made up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

if he loses im gonna be mad

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Besides, the mooks already got their creds by beating a bunch of no names who won't ever show up again in a meaningful way.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Logicblade posted:

Always relevant.

My mind is so filled with YGO that when I read that I wondered how anybody could be at a disadvantage after drawing 2 cards.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ShadowCatboy posted:

Actually I just realized something. Since all the students in Tootsuki are below the legal drinking age in Japan, how would they handle courses on wine pairings? Or aperitifs and digestifs? They already have classes and tests based on all the other operations of a restaurant, and the use and savoring of wine would be pretty important. I know they certainly cook with the stuff at least: Souma has made at least two dishes using red wine in Tootsuki (Souma's boeuf bourguignon for Chapelle-sensei's French cooking class and the sauce for the Chaliapin steak don in his first Shokugeki).

Actually this would be a great plot arc. It'd be adorable to see how each of the characters react to getting accidentally drunk. Kurokiba especially.

TIPSY.
ALICE.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eej posted:

I'm pretty good not having an arc about getting underaged kids drunk

Clearly you haven't seen enough cute animes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

oh come on now, who hasn't gotten drunk by the time they were 16

Me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Angry Grimace posted:

How is it possible to have been reading this for 150 chapters without noticing the dorm members have full blown drunken ragers where they they get hammered on Ryoko's fermented rice juice (homebrewed sake) and pass out in Marui's room on the floor? Did you just think they were falling asleep on the floor?

Kids need properly sleeping schedules to wake up refreshed the next morning.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think sikhye is ever alcoholic though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fuckin' love sikhye.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Apparently bottled sikhye isn't even proper sikye but rather just sugared water with rice.

I am utterly devastated.

I do wonder what alcoholic sikye would taste like.

Never thought about equating amazake with sikye, that's pretty eye-opening.

Futaba Anzu posted:

if there's one thing i can like about korea and my korean heritage it is that makkeuli is probably my favorite alcoholic beverage

Same, but only cause it is the least bitter alcohol.

I would like to try fruit-flavor makgeoli.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

I MIXED TOGETHER VARIOUS SPICES is the new "wait is this seriously supposed to be a big thing?".

The great thing of knowing jack about cooking and not really caring is that I can read this manga and just treat each new way of cooking as a shounen power up and not get all hung up on stuff like this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The bad thing is that I know jack about cooking.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not like the "you would have beaten the old me but the current me has evolved" is particularly new, either. Souma himself used that phrase against Mimisaka or whatever his name was.

As did Kiriko from Iron Wok Jan, the best cooking manga ever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was probably literally called seasoning spice in Japanese.

Like, sijuning supaicu or whatever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Korean version literally reads 'Seasoning Spice' as well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In the newest chapter, Alice continues to be the best.

Korean: http://www.shencomics.com/archives/1422563

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Badass Alice doesn't give a poo poo about her uncle.

Pouty Alice is angry at her uncle.

Cool as cucumber Alice wants to be better friends with her cousin Erina.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 24, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am genuinely happy about this chapter Davincie.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

I thought Mangastream's scans came out Wednesday?

I don't want to wait for more Alice

White people need to up their scan game.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I LOVE ALICE.

ALICE IS THE BEST.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She's infatuated with doing whatever she wants.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Souma loses, is forced to work for Central, then Erina ~heroically~ agrees to give herself up to her father in exchange for Souma's freedom.

Souma must now rescue Erina.

~ Shounen ~

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God loving drat I remember the chickencheese thread.

It was a thing of beauty.

I should seek it out once more.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THF13 posted:

I think their plan is to basically mass produce perfect 5 star cuisine by having restaurants follow an exact recipe which normal restaurants won't be able to compete with rather than outlawing them.

There wouldn't even be any competition because Azami's brand of restaurants would be way too expensive for regular people.

In fact this would only drive people towards cheaper restaurants and fast food chains.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

IDK, it seems like it really got worse after she met Souma's dad and that's when her grandpa went, "what the gently caress"

She was already sort of a jerk even before her dad's training.

Granted she was also a kid.

Also her thinking Azami has a point seems hella elitist cause most people don't have her Tongue of God.

"Oh my tongue can taste these small imperfections that most people won't detect, clearly cooking is flawed."

I mean, I can understand her thinking cooking needs to be improved, but I dunno how Azami's regime is actually gonna change this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's hosed up that she got abused so badly she thinks her abuser had a point.

poo poo like that happens in real life too, though, so I can't really consider it unrealistic I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

She got to eat with them though?

Yeah, but he originally didn't invite her and it seemed more like Jyoichiro's idea than anything.

He even asked her to go back at first because it was a private meeting.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

Long story short anime needs more moms.

Alice's mom supports your theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

For a manga about a not!poo poo dad cooking with love for his daughter, there's Sweetness and Lightning which is also gonna be an anime soon that should heal the soul

VVVVV

He didn't even know they were cancelled, which already proves the point about how thoughtless he is so yeah

Seconding the Sweetness and LIghtning read which is very very very very good.