Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

superjx posted:

So apparently Nightmare Pilgrim on Voss is not just another world boss, it's really more of a raid boss with a bunch of mechanics to learn. I put together a pug and we had it down to 20% but couldn't quite finish it off.

Its one of the things to kill to get the aratech coral, and I'd like to clear that off my list one day. Anyone else interested in trying to take it down on a raid day or something?

NP might have been put in the game as an aptitude test for groups to test new players on "can you follow instructions?" - Baby's First Op Boss. He's not hard to kill for a group of 55s, but anyone who doesn't do what they're supposed to do will die immediately, and you learn very quickly who listens and who doesn't.

Edit. Apparently that post was from last May and some forum weirdness showed it to me as if it was on the last page. Whatever, it's still true.

shadok fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nipponophile posted:

It's well-hidden on fleet. You need a group of at least four and some decent coordination to get it. It's been a while since we've done a guild run at it, and we've gotten a bunch of new people since then. Who would be interested in making a run for it tomorrow night?

We've been using the new Flagship group summons to teleport whole Ops groups out to the +10 endurance datacron on Makeb. I wonder if that would work for the Fleet datacron as well (obviously you'd still need to be level 45 minimum and have the fleet museum crystal to open the door).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

It really painted a pretty bleak and excellent picture of sith leadership, which is the agent story's strongest aspect anyway.

This is exactly why the Agent and Inquisitor storylines were my favourite, having now done all 8. The Trooper's story is so meh that I wasn't even going to bother with it until 12X XP came along and made it more endurable.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I agree with you re: crafting but I'd add the asterix that since Conquest was added to the game, gathering skills are more profitable now than they ever have been since pretty much all crafting materials, particularly biochem mats, are selling for a premium on the GTN.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Guess that explains why I can't even get into the character screen after logging in.

Is it only JC? I only have characters on that server, so I can't really check. It seemed fine until about half an hour ago, and now every five minutes it just lags out and boots me off.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mikemo Tyson posted:

I didn't think SWTOR would even be on anyone's radar as something to DDoS. Oh well, guess I'll go spend time with my family. :negative:

Yeah, SWTOR is just collateral damage. You'd think EA would have really state-of-the-art DDOS mitigation by now, since they're world target #1 for this crap if you exclude political opponents of Vladimir Putin.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

I'm just a layman, but how would you 'mitigate' a DDOS attack besides having infrastructure so robust you've wasted money on it at any time other than a DDOS attack?

Real-time packet analysis that's able to detect malicious traffic, linked to automated filtering. Sakura Internet (ISP) in Japan built a system that's able to detect and nullify DDOS attacks on anything in their network within twenty seconds.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

So, got way to drunk last night while playing and finishing the JK story, kind of forgot how it ends. I remember Corellia being a pain in the rear end and something about the Emperor, could someone fill in the gaps?

Scourge has told you that the Emperor doesn't give a poo poo about the war against the Republic, it's just a pretext to use gigantic weapons of mass destruction to kill as many people as possible while secretly performing a dark ritual to use the mass deaths to fuel the Emperor's personal immortality. His endgame is to kill everything in the universe, thus becoming powerful enough to create a new universe according to his own design with himself as God. On Corellia you disable three WMDs and defeat Tol Braga, the guy who led the attack against the Emperor in chapter 1, who has been working for the Emperor ever since. He gives you the Emperor's physical location on Dromund Kaas, and Scourge uses his knowledge of Imperial security to get you and your crew to the Imperial capital. You go through the Dark Temple, get to the Emperor's chamber with T7 as your companion, and after probably swearing at the game for making you use a companion who likely has level 20 green gear, you fight the Emperor and win. You get a choice to kill him outright or try to turn him to the light, which doesn't work (duh) and he pulls the roof down on himself. Then Scourge asks you why you didn't kill him, because he can still feel the Emperor's presence. So you maybe killed the Emperor (the Sith Warrior storyline explains that part of things) and then it's back to Coruscant for tea and medals.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

This is why nobody in the Empire has seen the Emperor in decades, since the current Voice has been locked up and prevented from dying in a force user trap temple thing (on Voss IIRC).

Yeah, Baras did that so he could sideline the Emperor, claim to be the Voice of the Emperor himself and take over control of the Dark Council and the Empire that way. The physical body defeated by the Jedi Knight was the next poor sap the Emperor took over after the Sith Warrior killed the Emperor's Voice on Voss, on the Emperor's orders.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Anyone know if there's a shady way to transfer commendations across toons by taking advantage of any items refund timer like you can with war zone comms?

You can definitely transfer planetary comms by buying lockboxes and other planetary comm gear from the vendors on fleet, putting it in your legacy vault, and then picking it up with your alt and selling it back to a planetary comm vendor. I did a lot of this a couple of weeks ago when i was running a ton of daily heroics for conquest and i had planetaries coming out of my rear end.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Yeah, it doesn't have to be a specific vendor. Any one will work. I may or may not be able to confirm that it works with Czerka bind to legacy droid parts and birthright kits for classic comms.

Just to be absolutely clear, you do have to sell it back to a planetary comm vendor, just not specifically the same planetary comm vendor that the item was bought from. But if you try to sell it to a non-planetary comm NPC vendor like a medical droid, you'll only get credits even if the 2 hour refund timer isn't expired. I was wrong, Medullah has confirmed that any vendor will work for the sell-back.

shadok fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 26, 2014

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Are you sure? Because for basic/classic comms it gives you back the comms just fine (and the credits for the droid parts).

It's definitely true for the "Felusia Stato" decoration merchant NPC that's in my stronghold, because I tried there first when I did it, to save myself a trip back to fleet. But hell, I'm online right now, so I'll double check with other merchants.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Yeah, you're wrong - I just tested it and sold a lockbox back to one of the decoration droids in my house. It SHOWS that you'll only get a credit for it, but when you sell it it refunds you the planetary comms.

I stand corrected, I saw that the vendor's value of the lockbox was credits, so I didn't actually try it. Whereas the planetary comm vendors correctly show the comm value of the lockbox before you sell it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xyretire posted:

Edit: The only reason I loved Scoundrel healing so much was the ability to do so much of it while on the run. With the exception of needing a big burst from an Underworld Medicine you were mostly able to run around throwing out instant HoTs and Emergency Medicines. At least in PVP anyway. Don't know what it looked like on the raid side of things.

Yes, it's huge. Among my toons I have sage, sorcerer, operative and scoundrel healers. There are raid bosses that are a nightmare for force healers because you're constantly forced to run around and reposition, making casting a bitch. Instant-cast, ranged, player-targeted AOE heal-over-time? YES PLEASE.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crindee posted:

Good to see they're continuing the tradition of adding new goofy lightsaber bullshit in each movie outside of the OT. I vote for a lightsaber bomb in the next one (a bunch of tiny lightsabers explode out of it).

Years ago there was an infamous Usenet Star Wars satire that included a microlightsaber hidden inside a tooth, for a Duke Leto Atreides-style assassination attempt.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, at least 12X XP let me get my Agent to 50.

Yes, Agent.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

shadok posted:

Well, at least 12X XP let me get my Agent to 50.

Yes, Agent.

55. I forgot how crazy Makeb was with 12X + XP boost + GSI satellite support.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh my god I do not understand this new skill system at all.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kinger posted:

If you ever played WoW after the talent revamp (I think it happened with Mists of Pandaria) it's really similar to that.

I only played WoW for the first couple of years, I guess six months into the first expansion or something?

I get it now, but I have no idea what to pick and I have 10 toons to respec. Oh well, it seems that free field respec of utility points is built in for subscribers so I guess it doesn't matter, I can change them later.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kinger posted:

Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case, I don't have field respec unlocked and it's telling me I need to unlock it in the legacy panel in order to use it. Ah well.

Weird, on my "Combat Proficiencies" screen there's a reset button to reset my utility points, and if I click on it there's a confirmation dialogue telling me that using it will cost me 0 credits. I just checked my legacy screen and I never unlocked field respec on this toon.

Anyways, I think what's really throwing me is just the mess of converting an existing 55 to the new system. Some skills are on the toolbar, some have moved, some are gone but just need to be put back, some don't exist any more and some have to be bought from the trainer. It might have been better for them to purge all the toolbars entirely.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kinger posted:

And yeah - that second paragraph is basically par the course for any major patch like this. I remember having to re-do my bars in WoW time and time again. It's never fun.

Fortunately for me, in an effort to reduce the PITA of switching between classes, I used my tablet to take pictures of my main toons' UI so I could unify wherever possible (guardian/jugg, scoundrel/operative and sage/sorc all have identical specs and toolbar layouts). So I was able to check back and oh yeah, that gap there should be Cloud Mind which got removed from my toolbar for no reason.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Anyone see if the Jawa scrap peddlers have the new mats?

They do not.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

I finally finish patching and the character select screen tells me I can only play characters on starting worlds while the rest of the game finishes downloading? :psyduck:

That happened to me, I just restarted the launcher and logged in again to fix it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Also, looking at the new Scoundrel trees (subclasses? specs?)

"Disciplines".

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

What do all of the old comms convert to?

I.E Would it be better to buy a bunch of DPS gear for my tank or just suffer through leveling via tank gear because the comms convert to something useful?

All old planetary, classic, basic, elite and ultimate comms are converted to new basic comms. New basic comms will buy you everything old planetary, classic and basic would buy, plus new basic gear (186) - but you can't buy that until you hit level 60.

You can still buy 146 gear for level 50s and 162 gear for level 55s, all with new basic comms.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, a tip that may have been mentioned here before: Encrypted Datacubes. When the ROTHC expansion came out, the Contraband cartel packs were dropping 8 Encrypted Datacubes. Each one opened a mini-quest to go to Nar Shaddaa, watch a holovideo from the Shroud's personal data files, and get a reward - some money in the form of a "Credit Boom" which was promptly removed for being too much, a 3-hour XP boost or a 3-hour PVP XP boost. Oh, and if you got all 8 cubes, you got an outfit of moddable armour.

Anyways, these things are cheap to unlock with cartel coins in your collections. I unlocked all mine so every toon gets 8 major XP boosts, in addition to whatever bound class/planetary quest rewards they had left over (my first toon finished with 6 major XP boosts and 4 minor ones, don't ask me what exactly I thought I was saving them for). Hit 60 even faster.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darfuri War Orphan posted:

While your post did shed some interesting light on how to RP well in this game, my question was not so much whether or not a light-sider SW Sith Pureblood is RP-able, but whether or not it might incur a lot of "cringey" moments given the dialogue scripts, lore and other such "unavoidables" of the class story for me to play a Sith Pureblood SW while also picking mostly light-side dialogue options.

I did a LS Twi'lek Sorcerer to 55, a DS Human Warrior to 55 and a LS Sith Warrior to... halfway through Chapter 2, I think. I wanted the Light Side Jaesa achievements, then I deleted that character when I got them.

As I remember it, your race is acknowledged occasionally in dialogue (as are Twi'lek and Chiss) but all LS and DS choices are handled pretty much equally well and even as a Sith pureblood the light side choices don't seem incongruous in context. I can only recall one minor sidequest that gave me pause as a light sider, and then I realized I could just skip it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lum_ posted:

Does Treek have any dialog in the new content? Because I want to learn more about my homicidal little furby.

Yes, I've hit several dialogue points on Rishi with Treek as a companion.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

So I just now did Maelstrom Prison for the first time, and IIRC the Imperial flashpoint sequence never actually meets Revan - so I just saw that he has some weird Face/Off kind of thing going where half his face has a different tone than the rest and looks grafted on. The gently caress.

I always assumed this was a nod to the fact that this Revan might not look like your customisable Revan from when you played KOTOR. He had some unspecified facial reconstruction in the past 300 years and he looks different now.

Very different in my case since when I played KOTOR, Revan had boobs.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

DisposableHero posted:

Ah. I see that now. I never would have come across this on accident...

Thanks guys. That makes a substantial difference. Does this even out quite a bit the closer I get to 55?

It's kind of hard to judge right now. The 2.9 patch made all content on Makeb considerably easier, but the 3.0 patch was specifically designed to weaken all sub-56 characters.

If you have blue or purple at-level armour and weapons for you and your companion, nothing on Makeb should give you too much trouble except maybe the final boss, due to its specific mechanics.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

-Troika- posted:

What blaster rifles do you guys like? I've always preferred the DLA-13.

I do like Primordial Blaster Rifle Besh, which is an old cartel pack item that was pretty common and is still around.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Detour question: what is the value of doing the Kuat Drive Yards? I've basically been treating it as a machine that dispenses 20 commendations to spend on leveling gear. Is there anything else of value to get out of it?

I started a scoundrel, bought the legacy perk "Improved Flashpoint Experience V", took a stack of Major Flashpoint XP boosts that nobody wanted out of my guild's vault, and went from 10-55 in KDY. It wasn't quite 12X XP but it went by pretty drat fast.

It also got me 100% completion in the KDY achievements, including a legacy title and a piece of artwork to hang in my stronghold, a stack of KDY Construction Kits that I've never bothered to spend, and the ability to solve the starship assembly puzzle by just glancing at the datapads.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moreau posted:

Revans Holostatue sells Black Market level gear, right? Has that been updated to Rishi, or Yavin levels of gear?

Not yet.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

jwang posted:

Anyone has a non-dress option for light armor legs? I'm tired of seeing my consular in dresses, but at the same time, most of the greaves option uses secondary color for the leg armor plates so you wind up with white leg pieces that look terrible.

Something that looks like Nadia Grell's base armor set would be excellent, and if it doesn't come from Cartel packs would be an extra plus.

Did you do the Nar Shaddaa gambling event at all? I really like the Kingpin's Pants that you can buy with the Golden Certificates.

Unfortunately if you didn't do the event, there's no way to get them since both the pants and the certificates are bound to legacy.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I decided to spend some Doonium on HK for one of my toons that I haven't run to 60 yet. At 56 he's pretty scary.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

jwang posted:

Cripes, that kind of progression is all kinds of rear end. Can you get crafted mods so that you can do HM FPs, or are those not in game yet?

All 186 mods and enhancements are craftable and common (they're reverse-engineered trainer-taught schematics as opposed to RE'd Ops drops, so any crafter can learn them cheaply). So you can swap out a few mods and get better stats pretty easily.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Somewhere on Jedi Covenant there's a male Cathar running around dressed in red and white, wearing Karagga's helm. Named Catinthehat.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rincewind posted:

I've loved what I've seen of the smuggler so far, but I keep on hearing acts 2 and 3 are bad. :smith:

EDIT: I've also heard that Corso is bad but actually he's really great, so maybe I shouldn't take internet opinion's word for this.

They're not terrible, but none of the chapters is as good as the prologue. There's something very endearing about the way the smuggler plows through the intrigue and great galactic events not giving a poo poo about any of it, in the single-minded pursuit of his ship.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sombrerotron posted:

Earlier this week on Belsavis, I ran into two identical level 50 twins with around 6700 HP that were doing some sort of two-man, go-stop-go conga on their cheap Rendili speeders. I guess I don't play enough, because I don't recall ever seeing bots before (or at least not such obvious ones).

During one of the conquest weeks our guild got into a pissing contest with another over Republic Balmorra. We were able to win it but only after churning out 12.5 million conquest points to their 11.3. I did many, many heroics on Balmorra at all hours of the day or night and every time i did "Justice For the Lost", there was the same unbuffed 55 running around the heroic area in a big circle, killing and looting everything. For all I know he's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/swtor-commemorative-meat-tree-decoration-2.jpg

Ha!

• Locked thread