Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

I would honestly love to watch someone play Shaman without macros. They'd have to be a drat concert pianist, I reckon.

There's almost no reason to play shaman without macros though, unless you're just cycling through the AoE spam rotation.

I do use separate macros to make sure I don't Frozen Wrath or Combined Effort a target that will die in less than 15 seconds but you'd have to ask a better Shaman player to figure out how to optimize better than that.

Also macros simplify things but just using them as your rotation without regard for raid cooldowns and encounter mechanics can hurt your performance. They don't play the game for you, they just make it so you don't need to hit 5 different buttons to satisfy your non-physical ability use as a Shaman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tsurupettan posted:

I bought this at release and played kinda-sorta on/off. The issues I had were the world was kinda dull and I was put off by 'just macro everything together, mash 3 buttons' to play characters. Considering playing again, so I have to ask, has the latter changed at all? I don't like super button bloat, but I also think macroing it all together is kind of boring. Are there any soul set ups at the moment that are effective and can be played to great effect without macroing all your abilities together?

Honestly, if you think anything can be reduced to mashing 3 buttons aside from the Shaman AoE rotation (which is 3 non-macro'd buttons!) or a solo spec (in which simplicity is more important than optimal results you probably aren't playing the rotation as tightly as you can be. (I've heard nightblade is a button light spec too though). Macros just reduce the book-keeping on the rotation so you can focus on getting the most out of your cooldowns.

Also healers are very macro-light in general aside from a res or cooldown yell macro, reactive healing can't really be macro'd and predictive healing still needs to be prepared to perform cooldowns.

And if you have something against putting shock pulse at the bottom of every warrior macro then I don't know why you hate fun :colbert:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BombiTheZombie posted:

Its been a long while since i last played Rift but if I remember correctly none of the dragons can "die". They just return to their home plane as a spirit/soul/natural force or whatever until they can grow/possess themselves a new body.

That's why you killed Regulos in the plane of Death. Endless Eclipse is a fortress made by Shapers connected to the Plane of Death, with a portal guarded by the Dread Lord Goloch, where they are harvesting Telarans in order to build Regulos a new body since his original was heavily damaged during the first fight with the Guardian Ascended when he possessed Aedraxis and some other crap like that.

Also due to the fact that Greenscale, Akylios, Laethys, and Maelforge were fought inside locations meant to imprison them they probably not able to "escape" or something. Also Greenscale and Laethys were somewhat weakened, the former was being corrupted by the forces of death and the latter was still having her body being reformed.

Crucia is the only one Trion has shown to be able to go ghost-form and possess a person in-game, although Regulos's possession of Aedraxis kind of fits the bill too. I hope they don't do another fight AGAINST a Crucia :ohdear: (gently caress Storm of Failure). Note that you fight her in her fortress in mid-telara and she's been practicing possession for a long time.

Also during his last phase change Regulos talks about how he's been hiding Telara from even scarier things.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 16, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elswyyr posted:

I've played this to lv 21 now, and uh. Does this ever change? Because so far the rifts are worse than WAR public quests, the zone events are like GW2 events but worse, and the combat consists mostly of mashing all your instant abilities. I did the first dungeon too, and my "tanking" was just spamming my basic cleave ability until everyone else killed the mobs. Does the game ever become more complicated/harder?

I don't really offer an unbiased perspective here as an infamous sperglord but I do find most things in rift aside from the raid end-game rather bland. To be fair, a lot of Brevane and Dusken look pretty cool but a lot of vanilla content has a hard time keeping up with newer MMO's, having played GW2.

Just do IA's so you can get to the expansion content faster imo.

Raids can be considered pretty hard content for the most part.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Oraculum Animi posted:

Oh I know, I had an archon support, two chloro heal specs, and two DPS specs while I was raiding. But I see the new soul is good for solo-ing and there's a heal spec with it and I was hoping they weren't going to be top so I could avoid them.

I'll probably play it just to see how it runs and I might have to eat my own words.

Harbinger is terrible right now, according to mage guildies.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

So I want to get back into the game and was hoping to get some advice. I want to either play a dps warrior or cleric using a big ol 2 hander, I'm just having hard time picking souls, anyone have some suggestions?

Warriors IIRC grind mobs in Champ/Warlord or Tempest depending on if you want to chain-pull AoE or erase Single Target mobs (this is based on what people used on release).

Grinding as a cleric you can either destroy mobs ST as inquisitor or use Cab-Defiler to have your beacon bring all the boys to the yard and then AoE them down. There's also some druid grind spec but I never used it v:shobon:v.

Currently warriors have a variety of useful souls for raid encounters (I think our warriors use all 4 dps souls even!) and a variety of tank souls which are pretty cool. If you want to do damage end-game as a cleric your main options in raid are going to be Shaman (whack things with hammers and big sticks) and sometimes Inquisitor(shoot lasers). Shaman is pretty much going to outperform inquisitor except when the fight is extremely not melee friendly or if you need purges.

Clerics have a variety of specialized healing options, with one soul better for reactive general healing in small groups and the other three all see raid utilization. Also they tank by healing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ReadingZucchini posted:

What does "destroy mobs ST" mean?

ST means single target, Tempest and Inquisitor are good at focusing down single targets but not as great at dealing with large groups of enemies continuously.

Sometimes mob populations are sparse enough that single target specs have an advantage and other times AoE mobgrinding is advantageous.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
As much hate as point-to-point gets it's actually a really useful ability on certain encounters. It's basically a DPS gain on Regulos Phase 1 and Transition 1 using our strategy, for starters.

Most fights (read: every other raid encounter in the game) have execution strategies that make it less necessary but it's the kind of ability that can really make an encounter simpler if used well by the raid.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

shut up gelly posted:

have you tried using it on jultharin to skip a few waves of wisps? i've never seen it before, just curious

It's usually not worth the trouble to set up unless for some reason your group is better at using PtP than shooting the correct wisp (this never happens).

It used to be that you could use PtP to have your group on top of the vine and tank Jultharin there and skip everything but this was either fixed or the fight is too easy anyway (I haven't seen anyone try this since like the one time I pugged ToDQ).

The thing with PtP in most SL raid encounters I've seen is that the space is either too small to make it useful or the encounter is designed such that a fixed location is unlikely to remain safe reliably.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Oraculum Animi posted:

Would a 58 archon/18 pyro give the utility of archon with the dps boosts of pyro? That seems to be the happy medium between the 51 Archon and 58 Archon DPS-wise and while I was playing I never really found Dom to be too useful except for some trash pull CC.

It depends but I really can't think of much encounter-wise in the current tier that leans on an Archon for DPS, maybe if it makes the difference for some break points on Crucia or if you're struggling to meet Kain or Matriarch's enrage I guess. As for points in dominator, never underestimate the power of reflects (I have no idea what can and cannot be reflected aside from Abhorrent Grudge).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Machai posted:

Actually, cleric gets a lot of use out of Defiler. It is great for soloing and a lot of DPS builds have used 4pt defiler in them for rage blight. It is also good to have a 61pt Defiler in raids. I think warrior gets the least out of its SL soul, but even then it might be good to have Tempest for fights when your raid needs more ranged DPS (3rd boss in TDQ can be terrible as melee unless the other DPS can take out the wisps without you).

We use tempests on Hard Mode Progenitor and Hard Mode Gelidra due to anti-stacking mechanics. In addition IIRC a good general warrior DPS spec is 61 RB /15 Tempest or 61 RB/ 10 Tempest / 5 Paragon (for amped I think?). If you want to play a lot of purifier and warden (and maybe Sentinel in dungeons) and Shaman and probably cleric tanking you don't need any points in defiler though!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

vandiar posted:

If you're level 50+ and want a free 110% mount (retail price 125 plat), tomorrow (5/21) we're going to run River of Souls and get all the achievements. Getting all the achievements gets you a free ghost pony.

If you want one show up around 7PM server and we'll see if we have people who want to go. Raids reset on Wednesday so if people aren't able to make it we can run another later in the week.

Is RoS the weekly?

Kreczor posted:

I don't think you do based on last nights run through that green place raid (Greenblight? I think?), but do you earn experience, whether planar or normal in these raids?

The turnin for the weekly raid gives you a buttload of PA.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Danith posted:

Thanks for this, I'm looking to try it but I'm a bit confused by the guide.

His #1 macro -

#show Somatic Desecration
suppressmacrofailures
cast Marrow Harvest
cast Pain Transmission
cast Dark Water
cast Somatic Desecration
cast Bound Fate
cast Break Free

Only Marrow Harvest will cast because it's instant and no cooldown, am I missing something?

Marrow Harvest cannot be cast on a target while it is active on that target, therefore it will go down the macro list if it's already applied.

Danith posted:

Also he says -

but his abilities listed don't match up with the macro's he posted. Beacon -> SV -> BoP and he says it's Beacon -> 1 -> 2.. which would be Beacon -> Marrow Harvest and then tyranny of death?

Help :(

The macro numbers aren't the button numbers. He puts SV on 1, BoP on 2, and his spam macro on 4. Siphon Vitality, Bond of Pain, and Curse of Discord aren't macroable abilities.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 21, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tsurupettan posted:

I was going to level my Mage, but then while doing IAs today I saw a warrior near me that was floating through the air and making GBS threads out electricity everywhere. I need to do that. :stare: I keep seeing all these cool things and changing classes. :negative:

Can I get a guild invite on Momizi?

e: They were dual wielding so I'd guess it was Tempest/Riftblade/Paragon, but I didn't see a Way buff on them, so I dunno.

All warrior souls, tank souls aside, work equally well with dual wielding and 2-handers now. It's mostly a matter of PA's.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Like... above Glorified? :gonk:

Edit: apparently there's a vial that increases your raid token drops by 100% for 2 hours, for basically 4 bucks. That is disgusting.

Please say this is only for tier 1 content and below. If this makes a difference in tier 2 content I'm probably going to flip a table.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 22, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Daglar said they "may" look into making it not apply to current-tier. It's pretty hosed up.

Image linked since it's on someone's photobucket.

A thread absolutely exploded around that image and post and honestly there's enough supporters in rift's overall population that this might just go through :ohdear:.

I just don't know why they wanted us to test GA in tier 1 gear if they were going to just sell better gear on release.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

If you want to be competitive in raiding, and that applies to the new tier 2 raid stones, you will basically be expected to have those running at all times.

Given that being a patron has no point stipend, that's basically saying that if you want to raid at the top levels, you basically have to spend (assuming the current hypothetical 160 credits:$1 ratio) $3 every two hours, which is hosed up.

The big shitdump in that thread is over token vials, when getting token gear substantially faster is a huge boon. The secondary concern is that supposedly BiS essences and capes are buyable through REX as are apparently reputation boosts? I'll be honest I was really hoping it would go with a Dotes or LoL model of you buy purely cosmetic things like man I would pay dope cash to shoot rainbows in Inquisitor but buying in-game stat items just -feels- bad.

It's worse than that with their PTS testing model: it's already been that after you have the current content on farm if there's anything on PTS a hardcore guild will go and "test" PTS content (read: rehearse the raid in test mode to be ready for live). Now it puts more motivation for PTS raiding so that you'll want to have raids "down pat" from PTS so you can efficiently get things down.

My personal hope is that a lot of that doesn't make it to live and they just don't want to reveal what the real cash shop items are but that's probably wildly optimistic and also not in line with what a lot of other players hope.

Edit: also goddamn I hate reading posts by "top raiders" because 90% of them are so loving condescending.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 22, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

From your posts on that thread I don't think you know what immediately means, most of the gear that would be an upgrade that I saw requires a dumb rep grind, therefore the advantage is decidedly not "immediately available".

Will I be purchasing Barnacles for my alts so I can use my main to load it with precious lessers? Likely.
Will I skip the IS grind to buy those lessers? Most likely not.

There's people who did Qajiri rep overnight as soon as it was possible. It's not immediate but it's pretty close to it (I won't speak for myself because I hate rep grinding).

Dumb rep grinds are a just a sanity barrier.

Also my first post in that thread was a little sensationalist and done really late at night v:shobon:v.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 22, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

lsp posted:

Remember the expert dungeon trinkets we all have and never use because they sucked? Well I'll just leave this screenshots here...
http://i.imgur.com/dQmjKXM.png
http://i.imgur.com/9uHcCXN.png
http://i.imgur.com/8ybb2pK.png
http://i.imgur.com/fkVMHcz.jpg
http://imgur.com/QG9gyi7
http://imgur.com/XLZ2SDa
http://imgur.com/9qvzRkr

I never won a roll for one :smith:.

And I ran expert empyrean core sooooo many times.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mormon Star Wars posted:

You guys have your priorities completely backwards, post pics of cosmetic stuff! What kind of hat can I buy?!

You say this like they've made hats better than the hats from ID or the crafted mage helmet or the p70 rogue hat.

(Which, I hope they do make more pretty hats because goddamn cleric hats in SL are AWFUL so far, conehat aside). (I'm aware i can wear non-chain but :effort:)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 22, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Checking out the store, yeah there are a ton of hats, including a beanie hat with a propeller for you Zoness.

That is the only hat I have ever wanted.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

I forgot how pretty this game is. After reinstalling I turned everything up to max and walked out of Meridian and the sun was low in the sky and the lighting effects were was just beautiful.

Are the pre-defined Purposes worth following or am I better off just making up my own spec? I'm not fussed about being super optimal for leveling so I'm hoping it's viable to just invent my own thing. I want to make a kind of glass cannon mage with some healing so I was looking at something like Elementalist/Chloromancer/Archon.

Is there a good website with tips on how to make a build?

A lot of the third-party websites give guides for how to make specs for end-game PvP or PvE. The class-specific guides sections on the official forums will often have a few grinding specs though.

If you have storm legion Harbinger/Chloro, going 16 tops into chloro for nature's touch (but with LGV up) and the putting everything else into Harbinger is pretty good. Note that chloro is going to be a lot more effective at healing if you can deal life damage and that even if you don't plan on running Harbinger as a main soul it's a very good zero point soul thanks to the sword buff.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Could someone explain how the crosserver and Ghunt stuff works for someone that's never been beyond level 50 or touched SL content before?

So, basically you can form groups with people on other shards. This means when they zone into an instance you get to zone into the same instance as them. What this also means is that with the Tier 3 PA summon ability you can summon someone else in your group (on another shard) to a (hunt) rift on your shard. They don't even need a green card or a visa!

Great Hunt and Hunt rifts are just a crossover between onslaughts and rifts. You defend an objective with a group of players and receive rift rewards for completion. They are pretty fun at first and rapidly get mind-numbing especially when people don't know how to read. Also Holgor.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kenny Rogers posted:

In theory, does this also make guilds effectively cross-shard?

I believe you don't retain a guild tag if you actually shard transfer a character but you can earn raid firsts for that shard while raiding with your guild on its main shard.

No Quarter did this to some guild on I think Faeblight? (Man I don't remember that far back) and tried to do it to us.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mormon Star Wars posted:

If anyone wants some of these really easily, you just need a group of people and a level 50 with Major Fire Lure or whatever it's called. Everyone mentors down and goes to silverwood and rushes tears - if it's hellbugs you fight, if it's not, ignore it and keep going. With enough people you will never run out of tears because it will always spawn at least one.

Make sure to do it in silverwood because don't pollute our clean defiant lands with horrible rift trash by being a jerk and leaving rifts open.

Seriously leaving major rifts open in a starter zone is kind of a dick move but it's being done to pubby guardians so v:shobon:v.

(When mentoring came out I'd open major air rifts in freemarch and then help people clear them on an alt haha).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TouchyMcFeely posted:

A wonderful goon was good enough to point me towards Rifts after the NWO debacle. After getting a mage to level 8 I can safely say that it is a beautiful game and I have no clue what's going on.

A problem I've been having that I haven't seen in other games or discussed is my latency jumping all over hell and back. It'll be sub-100 than spike above 4000 then drop to somewhere around 500 then spike again, drop again, etc. Just all over the place. I'm in the US and playing on the Deepwood shard and it happens whether the game is updating or not.

Anybody run into something like this before or am I just special little snowflake?

Yeah it's been happening in Tempest Bay but doesn't seem to happen during raid instances. I'm guessing it's just server load with resubs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

lsp posted:

Healing: Raid Shielding - 61 Purifier

Just a minor nitpick nobody should actually go 61 deep into purifier. You generally don't have room in the raid to field a sentinel for covenant and the cleanse gains in sentinel are good. Sign of faith is a big deal though.

Elblanco posted:

Well yea that what I'm trying to decide, cleric or warrior melee dps.

E: sorry, I mainly just want to know if riftblade is viable dps, or if I should go with shaman for dps. Its bothering me because I can't decide if I like clerics or warriors better.

In terms of end-game raiding, Clerics are still a little behind everyone else in terms of parse potential. Warriors and mages currently consistently parse the highest on fights. Riftblade is one of the strongest specs you can use on a fight that is usually single target with some add phases due to fork and rift spear while the rift strike buff is up (also hilarious in pvp).

As far as warrior specs go I believe all 4 dps souls are used in the following situations:

Paragon - purely single target fight
Riftblade - primarily single target fight with adds, also rift travel for movement utility (Most raid fights in storm legion right now).
Champion - A fight with consistent AoE (Twins is the main offender here, maybe Matriarch).
Tempest - Fights where going melee is not as feasible (shouldn't be necessary outside of hard modes but it can depend on your strategy).

The most important two are Riftblade and Tempest, as you can do fine on just about any fight using one or the other out of those two.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

AAAAAA That puri build is ronnnnggg, make it 22 sentinel and grab 1 point in merciful appeal.

It also has only one point in pushback reduction and no urgency ugh.

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmInritfezqcMIduRviMcxkz0zvz

I think something like this is what I use for purifier at the moment.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Ahov's was the only decent one but he seems to have deleted it.

Found it. Not the biggest fan of linking Ahov guides but this one pretty much goes over all there is to purifier. There's some differences in the less important points but it generally will just come down to trading conditionally better heals for generally better heals or something.

The spec is really geared around knowing how the encounter flow goes. The general rotation is simple but to use it optimally you want to apply symbol of the sun right before big hits (or spam it on fights where raid shield coverage is important to survival). For example, during Gelidra applying symbol of the sun during the lacerating cascade cast bar makes life a lot easier for every other healer in the raid.

Purifier is probably also the first healing spec that gets dropped in any raid encounter since its job in a raid is to make keeping people alive easier for everyone else but once people get enough endurance or the other healers get enough gear it's a lot less important so make sure you know how to use other specs. Also the spec is great for saving people who stand in circles so be aware of that and do it if you have the gcd then get mad about people standing in circles!

The priority system generally goes like this:

0 - cooldowns: use Healer's Covenant, Rite of the forge, Gathering of flame, or Spiritual conflagration when needed
1. Symbol of the Sun a tank right before big hits
2. Symbol of the Sun the raid, prioritizing people who aren't topped off before a known big raid hit
3. Ward of fire the tank(s) to make sure they're topped off with extra shield bars
4. Use instant heals or symbol on an idiot
5. Healing breath or healing flare if you have to keep moving and burnout is on the target or you're saving symbol of the sun

Also I love clear the coals even if it's RNG (but making it a castable cooldown would be a nice change trion ugh):colbert:.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

I wanted a class that looks bad-rear end and did well in melee. I suppose I'll just stick with my Justicar and tank.

If you don't think warriors look bad-rear end I don't know what to tell you!

(Clerics have the worst looking SL token set - that helmet is terrible).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

Ok, now that my dreams of tanking are crushed, do warriors look bad rear end DPSing? Warriors are usually "hit things with sword till it dies" and never look that spectacular.

Umm warriors can summon localized lightning storms, teleport everywhere like huge assholes, and throw elemental spears of magic. They can also shoot force lightning and do overhead sword/hammer/axe/polearm spins.

Also as tanks they have arguably the best snap aggro skill in the game, throw skulls around, or pull everyone on top of them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Well right now pyro owns bones, so if you get good at pyro then yes, people will want you dps'ing. They will probably get irritated if you don't have an archon or chloro spec handy in an emergency though. We currently have 6 role slots at 60 now, so 1 archon, 1 chloro, 1 solo, and then the last 3 can be a mix of pvp if you do that and dps.

Warlock, Stormcaller, and Dominator still have their purposes but if you want to be the hot poo poo at killing things single target pyro is where it's at.

I've wanted to get my mage to 60 ever since that Glyphs of Power buff.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Are Clerics reasonably capable at playing the tank and DPS roles, or do they tend to be pressured into healing in groups?

Given how SL tuning has been, you basically run as many healers in general as you need to keep the raid alive then you start dropping them for dps, generally starting with clerics since they're more specialized so it's easier to identify when you don't need a cleric healing.

Healing in raids is generally done by the following specs and their respective roles:

Chloro - Tank/Raid constant heals, single target cooldowns, energy, wild growth (basically always gonna have at least one or two of these)
Purifier - Tank/Raid shields/mitigation, secondary tank healing (generally the first to be dropped from a raid composition)
Warden - Raid heals, raid cooldowns, slight raid mitigation
Defiler - Tank mitigation, magic debuff shared with inquisitor, snap heals on single raid members (basically used for every fight in SL 20 mans)
Bard - consistent throughput while providing buffs
Sentinel - I know nothing about sentinel utilization.

(Also tacts get a really cool cooldown in Ablative coil aaah I'm so jealous)

Because of different healing requirements per fight especially for clerics you learn inquisitor and/or shaman.

Also sometimes you double up on warden and for some really weird strategies you'll double up on purifiers but generally cleric souls other than warden aren't very conducive to doubling up.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Machai posted:

I am not aware of any raid encounters where sent is a good replacement for a chloro, but they can be a good partner for the chloro if the tank is taking a lot of constant damage. I hate that RIFT does not let you efficiently double up on most healing specs, especially tank healing specs on a single tank. Chloros can't double up due to synth, two sents can't LoR the same tank, puri shields don't stack. Warden is pretty much the only spec that can efficiently be stacked.

Yeah that was basically my impression of Sentinel since we pretty much have never used one except for PTS shenanigans and some test pulls on HM Gelidra.

To be fair, encounter design for SL at least has been such that doubling up on most roles is redundant (Double purifiers for Crucia was totally awesome though).

Stacking wardens for Maklamos pre-SL was fun though~.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 28, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
In my experiences in 1.11 (in which most of the souls at low levels work like they do in Storm Legion iirc) at least Stormcaller kicks rear end for low level PvP and PvE when soloing because it has a lot of CC. This was before Harbinger was released so I don't know how well it competes.

I used it up to like level 26 PvPing for extra life.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Wolpertinger posted:

Eh, Stormcaller always felt sort of clunky - I never really ended up doing good enough AOE to justify the complete abandonment of competent single target damage, self healing, and survivability. Especially since most AOE situations tend to have less than 8 enemies anyway. I'm sure it's good in some situations if you learn how to use it, but it's just so.. inflexible. Plus, I wasn't the biggest fan of hypothermia/electrocution - it just seemed like a really awkward mechanic to fit into a rotation.

To each his own, I just wanted to chime in that in my experience Stormcaller felt better single target than most specs labeled single target at low levels due to innate CC and high base values.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
A PSA For Defilers:

Do cast bonds on bosses pre-pull (they're like radiant spores they don't generate threat). Don't cast Sacrifice Life: Planar Charge with bonds on bosses. This is a not hilarious way to pull bosses. That is all.

(Also apparently warlord tanking generates too much aggro. I don't know the details but it was some awful awful shenanigans)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Also Zoness it looks like the token boost no longer applies to frozen eclipse stones. So pro raiders will no longer have to sell their plasma.

That's a really bizarre implementation actually. I was under the impression that it would apply only to frozen eclipse stones to help people catch up to tier 2 assuming a new currency would roll out (which I'm all for). Maybe when 2.3 rolls out it will apply to tier 1 currency?

And still no real inquisitor changes :sigh:

The Beacon of Despair QoL change is nice though!

quote:

* Companion pets can no longer be attacked by other players during a duel.

WHAT THE HECK.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 31, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Meta Ridley posted:

How is the state of PvP? Is it unbalanced, and can I gear up for PvP by playing PvP? If it is just something on the side that no one takes seriously I'll still play again for the PvE, I just miss having an MMO with good PvP. Don't think I've had that since WoW season 2/3 arena in TBC.

The only way to get PvP gear is to PvP. It's decently balanced to the point where 90% of the time you'll do well by being good rather than running a particular spec (or at least I like to pretend I'm not bad at PvP). Every class has multiple viable roles too!

Also if you don't have PvP gear the game will give you baseline valor but IIRC your vengeance will be lower than it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kedian posted:

Hopped on the alt bandwagon and could use an invite for my defiler cleric who is proving to be far more fun than my rogue: Kados
Many thanks, and also a slice of cheese.

The thing with defiler is you never run more than one in a raid but it's a really good spec to know how to play!

• Locked thread