Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo didn't foresee that developing modern HD games was all that more difficult than games they'd been making since 2001, and started on the WiiU seven years behind the competition. Everything has been delayed because they lack adequate resources and knowledge to make games up to modern standards. They're a toy company now competing against entertainment companies.

I'm sure they'll figure it out though, and this console may not even have Gamecube levels of success(by success I mean it made money, kept the brand visible and had high quality games), but it will ensure they're ready next time, and this will not be a Virtual Boy.

I don't know how much longer investors will put up with this inept management in a publicly traded company however. I don't know if Iwata can weather this storm and I really don't know if he should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Harry posted:

Are you trying to say the financials they're filing with governing bodies are a lie?

Nintendo probably cooks the books a little like any company, but all in strictly legal ways, and there's no way they could cook the books that much.

They aren't in danger of going out of business because they have massive cash on hand two years of losses barely put a dent in. But they are a publicly traded company and can always be in danger of investor wrath, potential buyouts, and other dangers. Their cash on hand does nothing for their stockholders, who have to be getting a little pissed off watching their stock tank.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They could be saved if Sony and Microsoft are similarly incompetent. 3DS looked doomed for instance and Vita looked awesome, and would have the same price, when suddenly Sony was forced to delay it, more annoyances of the system were made clear, and Nintendo had time to drop their price, release a better model, and get games out.

Something they theoretically could do with WiiU. A better model where they have bigger internal storage, more games digitally preinstalled to sweeten the pot, etc.

The problem is we can't really expect delay from Sony this time, and games should be very easy to make for the new systems because of their shared architecture with PCs. We've seen next to no games for either though, and until releases might be plagued by just looking like current gen games with settings rebooted up to max.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Citing "incompetence" here is just stupid. It's not that they're unable to deliver a device on par with the PS4/Durango, it's that they're unwilling. The Wii U's all about subsidized parts and making something as cheap as possible with the veneer of a forward-looking device with high potential, just like the original Wii with its barely-upgraded Gamecube guts and the motion-sensing remote. The 3DS could have had a state-of-the-art Tegra chip if not for a last second switch to a cheaper Asian alternative. All companies are about profit, but Nintendo has unashamedly been focused on spending as little money as possible to maintain its position for the last decade.

And since that is the case, what I've been unable to grasp is why they haven't exited the console hardware business entirely and released their games on every other device under the sun. The initial stock hit would be damning for sure, but they'd certainly stand to earn a mint from the glee of every PS4/Durango owner having access to the latest Zelda, or unleashing the Virtual Console on smartphones and tablets. Being able to play a Sonic game on the Gamecube back in 2001 was just a novelty, but you have to imagine the internet would flip its collective poo poo (for the better) at the thought of Nintendo games being legally available on iOS.

I'm talking about software development, and their slow releases and delays have pretty much been confirmed by Nintendo themselves as incompetence, them not knowing how many resources HD games would take.

On the hardware side, everything you said is also true.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Winks posted:

I'm put off by the Wii U, but I'm afraid of what I'm going to do when the Zelda game inevitably hits. Hopefully it's bad because otherwise I'm buying a console I otherwise don't really want.

It will get perfect 10s, but actually be a bad game everyone hates, but five years later we'll be like "why can't the new Zelda be like that one? It wasn't really that bad in retrospect. In fact it's the best one ever!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

boss key posted:

Comically large controller and cult status among a minority of devoted fans? It has the first, and it sounds like we're well on the way to the second. So yes, OP.

Well even the most devoted fans at this point seem to be at "annoyed frustration". I mean I've owned every Nintendo system ever except the DSi(and 3DS but I'm getting one of those next month), made god knows how many excuses in the past for them, I'm just waiting for them to fire their management at this point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

C-Euro posted:

I postulated earlier that Nintendo launched when it did because it saw both the 360 and PS2 have great success as the first new consoles of their generations, and Nintendo wanted to try and do the same without fully realizing that those consoles were hits for reasons other than "first out of the gate".

The funny thing about that, is the Dreamcast was the first new console of the PS2 generation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The title "Is WiiU Nintendo's Dreamcast" is metaphorical. Whether the Dreamcast was in a paradigm shift is a stupid derail and had nothing to do with the thread so shut the gently caress up about it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Haruharuharuko posted:

Holy poo poo this. How the gently caress is Tank! Tank! Tank! $60. We haven't sold a single copy of that even though is supposedly a fun game.

Ha, its free now, and you pay about five or ten bucks to unlock the story mode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zarron posted:

I can't understand why some goons are getting mad at LP's. To me it's not different than say something like Mystery Science Theater. After all there are a ton of people getting paid for more ridiculous things.

Mystery Science Theater has a ton of writing put into it before every episode, as well as production of interstitial segments to set everything up and establish characters, there really is no comparison at all.

quote:

Also, I'm pretty sure MST actually had the licenses to distribute the films that they covered.

Sometimes but for the most part they used films in the public domain as much as possible.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 19, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're neglecting Super Mario Bros 2, Japanese version. Although it introduced wind physics and Luigi physics, and more advanced bouncing physics, it used the exact same graphics, enemies and powerups as Super Mario Bros(maybe a couple palette swaps here and there).

There was also a weird PC port that has a few different levels and the hammer powerup from Donkey Kong of all things.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or it would fail just like every other non WoW MMORPG, no matter how well made, at best trickling in profits after a hundreds of millions of dollars investment.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a serious possibility the god drat Ouya will outsell the WiiU for several months.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

elf help book posted:

haha You actually believe this.

I think the Ouya is a joke. That's why it is so bad retail outlets are putting WiiU on clearance to make room for it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Everyone told Nintendo that Wii was a terrible name and turned out to be wrong. So this time when they had a really terrible name and everyone told them so they didn't listen... even after having the exact same brand confusion problems with 3DS.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Xbox One: Does Tvii like the WiiU but faster. No games, just like the WiiU, but you found out about it faster! But games are coming down the line, exclusives and new IP, but we aren't showing any of it yet, just like the WiiU! And just like the WiiU we have an unprecedented partnership with EA!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I agree with most of your list, but it can support more than one gamepad. This has been confirmed numerous times by Nintendo themselves and by hardware hackers. They simply haven't made any games that do it yet, it is not a hardware issue.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shyfted One posted:

Nope. Wasn't aware, so thanks for pointing that out.

How big of a loss are they taking on the Wii U and 3DS?

I'm still going to end up picking up a Wii U at some point, but it will probably be later in its lifespan once more first party games are out. I'm thinking around the time that Retro and Monolith Soft put out their games may be when I finally jump in.

Honestly, with mostly being a PC gamer it's not very hard to justify buying a Nintendo console for the exclusives. I don't care about the PS4 exclusives and I REALLY don't care about Xbox One's exclusives since they all revolve around sports games and CoD.

Enough of a loss that selling one game per console does not cover the loss, but they won't elaborate any further than that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
At this point I think there easily are about three or four really good games worth owning no matter what your tastes are.

And you should note many of the launch ports are price reduced on the eShop right now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ChocNitty posted:

ZombiU, and a few DS and Wii sequels don't qualify as killer apps or system sellers worthy of making the $400 investment.

Give me a Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zelda, or SSBB and i'll be interested.

He already has a WiiU though. If you already have one, there are games worth having.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
June + 1 = July
June +2 = August
June +3 = September
June +4 = October
June +5 = November

Most Christmas shopping begins in November. I'm not sure what your point was.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it was a preemie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't understand how the WiiU is so expensive to produce. Or how the Gamepad is so expensive to produce. The screen it is using is ancient. I know it's filled with tech baubles but still how in the world is one of those things supposed to cost around $150. The 3ds costs less than that to make, and has nearly as many if not more baubles, plus actual processors and graphics chips.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

Just because everything in the Wii U is kind of slow or outdated, it doesn't mean they're actually going to be cheap to produce.

At a certain point isn't it actually cheaper to use more modern, more readily mass produced components you don't have to specially contract out to a single supplier? Like honestly, competitive sized capacitive touchscreens are probably produced by the assload already, and the WiiU is the only device I can even think of with a resistive touchscreen that big. That has to increase the unit price long term over if they just went modern.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
With the terrible names, do you think that had to do with it being a Japanese company, where changing one symbol or adding a syllable is much more significant in their language than it might be in English?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're forgetting the xbone is including the Kinect 2, which is their own gamepad-level expensive boondoggle. Of course the PS4 includes the Eye but I think that's much cheaper tech.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cockmaster posted:

And seriously, what was up with them pushing back the release of Pikmin 3 to August?

They didn't know how long it took to make hd games. They had to pull half the Pikmin 3 team off the project just to finish Nintendo Land in time for launch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo is just dead set against ever paying licensing fees for a format. The other reason on Gamecube was the smaller discs meant faster loading times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't mind if Nintendo stuck around this level of technology for years, past the point where it is very cheap, and just completely mastered it, while continuing ui and other online improvements. Because m modern game design and hardware has really outgrown them it seems, and they need time to catch up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

midwat posted:

Welcome to the worst generation.

Baby boomers?

Well, I guess boomers designed the Xbone too, come to think of it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And they do keep improving and evolving the gameplay mechanics. The series by and large gets better with each installment with some exceptions. (Diamond/Pearl were good but slowed the battle speed to a ridiculous degree).

I think people chanting for an MMORPG don't realize the series already has many of these features. You can trade and battle online with strangers and team up with friends without issue. The new one will even have 3d graphics.

Really I think people just want that experience but with console graphics and polish. That just isn't efficient use of development though. The games are cheaper to make and have a much wider install base on handhelds.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Gamecube had great third party support. A few great exclusives and a port of almost every multiplatform game. People talk about how it was a failure but it didn't really sell that much worse than the X box.

The game boy advance(and Color before that) probably had the best third party support of any Nintendo system.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is Gran Turismo not made by SCEA? I just assumed if it were third party it would have showed up on xbox by now. Plus I bet each disc was orders of magnitude cheaper to produce than Mario 64 carts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

The GameCube got 649 games total across all regions, and the system sold 21 million units before it was discontinued.
The Xbox got 967 games across all regions, and the system sold 26 million units before it was discontinued.

It's not really accurate to say the GameCube had great third party support, and it sold a good 20% less then the Xbox as well.

You compare both to the PS2 though and the difference doesn't look that large.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Smart phones just get progressively better generation by generation though. Android I could never see as a threat to handheld because of fragmentation, but certainly Microsoft might one day build a controller you just slot your lumia into, or Apple takes the plunge into videogames. The only real thing holding it back right now is crap control interfaces, the limited computing power and screen refresh problems will take care of themselves.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just out of curiosity how much did the Ouya sell in June, it's launch month?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

OatmealRaisin posted:

Counting the 60,000 kickstarter backer units, less than 100k.

So more than the WiiU I guess, hiyoooooooo!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bovineicide posted:

There's more new features added in new CoD or Madden versions than there are between NSMBW and NSMBU. DK2 and 3D World both look like they're going to have the same level of effort put into them. I didn't bring up Wonderful101 or Pikmin 3 because neither of them are system sellers.

This is bullshit. 3D world is adding entirely new coop multiplayer where each character is unique with their own gameplay mechanic. DK2 is adding at least two new playable characters, the worlds are in vastly different environments, there's a completely new set of enemies unrelated to the previous games, and all new music from the original DKC2 composer.

And Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 not being "system sellers" whatever the hell that means, doesn't negate that they are high quality long term effort developed games, which you were saying Nintendo doesn't make anymore.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

I can't think of a delayed Nintendo game that wasn't at least good.

Geist, Game and Wario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Valve and Blizzard also never announce anything anymore unless it's basically done, a tactic Nintendo has started using as of late, excepting the "launch window" games.

• Locked thread