Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I don't have a Wii U and I'm barely interested in one because while I bought and enjoyed me Wii, I did so 4 years after it had already been out and my Wii sits and gathers dust between big releases.

I could have played and beat Xenoblade Chronicles if it was on any other system. Instead, I have a 14 hour save and haven't touched it for over a year.

So, I don't want to drop the cash until I can score a used one for $100, and play 5 years of big releases in one year. Then box it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You make a good point. The PS3 could recover because nothing big was going to shadow it. The 3DS could recover, because it was a year before the Vita and the Vita didn't have that impressive of a launch library to overshadow the 3DS.

But the PS4/Durango will come out soon, and I'm not trying to hyperbole, I think their launch window (say.. first 3 months?) libraries might be better than the Wii-U's launch YEAR library.

The Wii-U probably needs a marketing push and a price cut so people put down $200 for it instead of the $400-500 (just a reasonable estimate) for the other next gen consoles.

If xbox comes out and has some sort of cellphone plan where you can get the new xbox for $200 + 2 years of xbox live at $15-20 a month, that is going to hurt the Wii-U. (And the PS4, but they can actually fight back with PS+)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Speaking of, I wonder how the new Smash Bros games will fragment sales. It's a pretty big no brained that people won't buy the WiiU version if the 3DS version is virtually the same game and doesn't serve as a mode of transport for the WiiU data.

This is a good question. With the new Vita and 3DS, portables are getting close to recreating the home console experience. It's less reason to buy a Wii-U in Japan, if you can buy any game on the 3DS and have more populated matches and use it online as well as local play (which is wonderful for Japan).

Again, as said before, Nintendo is getting worse at giving reasons why you need their console, especially if you already have the 3DS. I mean we already got Mario: 3DLand on the 3DS and to most people that's already like 3D World that's coming to the Wii-U this year. Chances are, the 3DS LTTP2 we get turns out to be a more popular Zelda than the next home console Zelda. You can have a really good online experience with the Mario Kart 7 game, so why would people want the Wii-U one? Local multiplayer sure, but maybe in the future more people will just meet up with 3DSes and do local multiplayer.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy a Wii-U one day. Just when I can get it for something cheap like $100 used, and I can grab all the worthwhile titles from the previous 4 years.

So here's what I'm basically saying. As far as the gaming experience goes, the gap between a 3DS and a Wii-U is not very big. It doesn't justify the extra $150 it would cost you to buy a Wii-U over the 3DS

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

George Lazenby posted:

You're all crazy. Why the hell would you buy the 3DS smash bros over the wii u one? Don't you ever play smash bros with friends?

There's quite a few good reasons: Maybe we all live far apart. Maybe most of us already have a 3DS but haven't gotten a Wii-U yet (if ever).

In a world where you can have four people meet up at the same time in the same spot with ease and if you have the equipment for it, then yes, the Wii-U one would be more enjoyable.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

They honestly should have delayed because we're going on a year and the system really doesn't have anything out. The last game for the Wii was Pandora's Tower in America. Pandora's Tower probably lasts longer and is a bigger game than most of the Wii-U exclusives. Not only that but PS3 and Xbox 360 are still chugging along and still are having big games and exclusives being pushed out on them.

Tales of Xillia is coming out this Tuesday, Project Diva comes in another month, Disgaea D2 is coming, and Saints Row 4 is hitting both systems.

The Wii-U is going to have a few of the big games this year like Watch_Dogs, COD:Ghosts and AC4:Black Flag. Problem is, all of those games have PS4/Xbone editions as well and that's going to overshadow the Wii-U editions.

I do agree that it needs a price cut along with all these games to manage some sales this holiday what with it likely to get overshadowed by the new consoles.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

How are they handling the online component to Watch Dogs and COD Ghosts? Those are two games with a lot of integrated online features.

At worst, the Watch_Dogs one won't be online. Didn't the last several CODs have online on the Wii/Wii-U? I can't imagine why that would be different for Ghosts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Endless Ocean then, since you're willing to keep moving the goalposts.

No lie, a new Endless Ocean would get me closer to buying a Wii-U.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

I honestly cannot recall a single other HD remake that offered so little value for money. Closest is Halo Combat Evolved HD, where it was just the one game. But at least that was only $40.

A few pages back but Halo HD actually gave you a $15 map pack for free for Halo Reach so counting just the game itself, it was really more like $25. I would preorder a copy of a Zelda Anniversary collection for the Wii-U despite not having one but Nintendo is really bad with old games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Nintendo has alienated far FAR more people than yourself, and for far more reasons than yours.

In the last several console generations, I had every console. PS1/Dreamcast/Saturn/N64. PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. PS3/360/Wii.

This is the first time in 15+ years, where I'm looking at all the main consoles coming out and deciding 'All I want is only one console (PS4). The exclusives are not worth it anymore to put up with the hassle/cost of another console(s)'

The Xbone is another story in of itself (and has its own thread too) but the WiiU suffers from a arbitrary high price point for the hardware, and yes, it has no games now and I know we will get games but lately, I have really been rather disappointed at Nintendo's home console offerings. I feel like I'm going to have more fun with Zelda 3DS than WiiU Zelda or Skyward Sword.

Heck, half the reason I only have a Wii is because I scored one used for $100. I got my fun out of it but it hasn't been turned on in nearly 2 years.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The wii also came out against a PS3 that had almost nothing, and an Xbox 360, while out for a year, still had almost nothing (Gears of War I think was the biggest thing at the time)

Now we're getting Xbox One and PS4 with mega franchises as COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and even some stuff that's probably going to sell well like Forza 5 and NFS: Rivals. Don't forget we're supposed to have Minecraft on the next gen, but not the Wii-U.

The original Wii still had some good stuff to justify the $250 price tag, but the Wii-U isn't as good stacked up against this new gen, even with the extra year's head start.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Also remember, competition among videogames is fiercer than ever, Steak sells games for mad cheap, Sony keeps giving you 'free' games on PS+ and has mad discounts too, and Microsoft has Games with Gold and xbones with free game bundles. Not to mention, a large number of people have been lost to tablet/smartphones for casual gaming, which is a significant part of Nintendos consumer base, more so than the other companies.

This is just Nintendo having a their sale like all the competition is doing. This is completely normal and not really a desperate move. Getting more 3ds sold would always be a priority, even if Nintendo exceeded projections.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Rogue Squadron was well liked enough that it's sequel was the GameCube's premiere launch game in the absence of all the big Nintendo franchises. In fact, it was probably the last time Nintendo could rely on a third-party exclusive to get them by in the US. The N64 spanned that weird period where shooters matured so fast that it got ports of Doom, Duke, Quake, and even Quake II, and they were pretty decent despite being usually censored, often containing exclusive stages and the like.

That wasn't a port of doom. DOOM 64 was an entirely new game and had new enemies and bosses. It's the real DOOM 3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

No lie. An exclusive fatal frame gets me one step closer to buying a wiiu in the future. But for course, only if it comes out of Japan. Otherwise we're still in the same situation that the wiiu won't have any more appeal worldwide and I don't think this will help their Japan numbers very much.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Well that's a shame. I unironically think a wiiu would be worth 100 bucks. If we got the X game that would be worth it alone. Then you could grab all the other 1st party titles.

It'll happen one day.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Pretty sure they said they needed to sell one game to break even on a wiiu. Then they had a price drop.

At best currently even if they improved manufacturing and got cheaper parts, they need to sell 1 or 2 games to break even. But they keep doing bundles or giving free games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

Oh my god this is hilarious. How is this possible? The glare from Luigi looks so angry, he is pissed. This is the funniest thing I have seen all day.

' this loving guy......'

Nintendo games really do have some good charm. I'm not going to deny that MK8 is a legit good game but it doesn't have the biggest wiiu install base to sell copies to. And who knows how much bigger the install base might get.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Was Mario kart 8 available digitally? Watch dogs is and I imagine a significant number of people bought digitally on ps4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Macaluso posted:

They should give Bioshock to Retro so we can get a sweet Rapture themed platformer

Or they could give it to the guys who made metro 2033. That would be atmospheric as hell

• Locked thread